Lay Your Weary Head To Rest

An empty village of six cottages surround an imposing manor house, with a barren field sat facing the center of the island. The only food contained in the buildings has rotted away, but the electricity and water still are still running.
Ciel

Post by Ciel »

"I-It's just a wetsuit."

Iris slumped, looking back at Johnny sadly. Iris was trying hard to make Johnny forget about the... suit.

"Tah be honest wit'cha, I didn't ask. An' I dun think it would be polite. Johnny's fine." Iris smiled at Johnny. "Johnny, this is Holly. She's been asleep, excuse her."

Holly looked at Iris for a moment. Iris turned back and felt her slump her shoulders even more. That gaze was... painful. Maybe Holly was just cranky. Iris got cranky when she didn't get enough sleep. The only time that happened was during the winter. She had a nasty cold and she was up all night coughing and sneezing. She hated it. She hated being sick. Maybe Holly was sick? She looked terrible, that was for sure. Forgetting about Johnny for a moment, Iris walked closer to Holly. She lowered herself to the couch, brushing her jeans off. She pressed the back of her hand against Holly's forehead.

"Hey hey. Dun' go movin' too much. You were out lik'a light for I dun' know how long!" Iris smiled. "You doin' alright?"

Holly mumbled.

"W-What?"

"I said yeah..."

"Oh..." Iris grew quiet. She lowered her hand. "Are you feelin' alright? I mean, y'all aren't lookin' so good."

"I'm fine..." Holly nodded weakly.

Iris sighed softly, brushing the hair out of her eyes. "I dun know. You were out for-"

"I'm fine Iris."

Iris kept her mouth shut. Holly must have been in a really bad mood. Iris had never seen her like this. Iris just nodded meekly and didn't press the subject.

The announcement came on.

"Cristo..."

Iris pressed her hands against her heart, her eyes closed. Holly looked unsympathetic. Iris shook. Four dead. It made Iris shiver but the feeling of horror had lessened. Iris seemed to be... getting used to the idea of fighting for her life. Maybe that scared Iris, the fact that she was used to her impending doom. Iris felt emotionally numb after the bombshell. Cristo was dead. The beautiful boy, the angel. The only thing that Iris had wanted was his embrace. Now there was no such luvk of that happening. Her fingers burned as they traced the outlines of her jaw, a habit that was neither bad nor good. The dangerzones listed and Iris perked up. The settlement? Iris didn't know all the areas but this looked like a nice group of houses.

"Where are we? Holly, where are we?"

"... How should I know?"

"Is this the settlement?" Iris prodded.

Holly put a hand to her head. "Yeah, I guess so."

"I-I think..."

"What?"

"I think we're in a dangerzone."

Holly's eyes shot open. "What?"

"T-That's whut the announcement said."

Holly gasped, trying to rise up to her feet. "We have to.... We..." She wobbled. Iris was right there, catching Holly with both arms.

"No no! You ain't walkin', not like that!"

Holly let out a groan, her knees shaking. "I'm fine Iris... I'm... I'm cool, don't worry."

Iris just shook her head. There was no way she was going to do that. If she let go of Holly, she was going to go sprawling to the floor. Holly would feel even worse. Friends didn't let friends fall on their faces. Iris smiled, wrapping her arm around Holly's shoulders. She could feel Holly resisting at first but then she relaxed. It was difficult trying to keep Holly up. She wasn't light. Holly let out a laugh, though Iris couldn't tell why. Why was Holly laughing? She was just snapping at her a minute ago. Iris turned around and looked at Johnny.

"W-We have tah go Johnny." Iris said sadly. She didn't say anything else. No need.

(Iris Landon and Holly Chapman continued in I'm In Despair! Mad Science Has Left Me In Despair!)
Vinny McQ*

Post by Vinny McQ* »

‘I’m from Little Rock in Arkansas.’

I guess this is a good sign. We’ve been introduced we know a little about each other. This isn’t what you do with someone who you’re gonna murder down the line. Just don’t say anything stupid.

Silently Johnny followed Iris as she made her way to her friend. The friend who predictably ignored him and asked Iris about the suit. Johnny’s eyes narrowed slightly. Fair enough but she doesn’t have the slightest clue why I’m wearing it so she can’t help you can she. It almost made him want to just tear the mask off and show everyone what he was, what he’d become. This thought did not last very long and Johnny quickly returned to the mind-set he’d had before. This thing comes off when I’m dead, and not a moment before.

In all fairness Iris gave him a sad look before introducing the other girl, Holly. She’d even said he was ‘fine’ too. Considering how close these two seemed to be that was probably a ringing endorsement. As they talked Johnny looked at Holly. Iris was asking after her and she really did look like she’d had one too many the night before. He said nothing. It just didn’t seem like the right time. When the announcement came on Johnny jumped a little. Luckily no one seemed to be paying attention to him.

The only name that meant anything to him was the Cristo one. He killed before. Karma’s a bitch. It seemed to be the only name that Iris cared about too. She did say she’d seen some other people but never mentioned who they’d been. Johnny was spared from overly worrying about it when the voice told them the house was a danger zone. Iris helped Holly up and told him that yes, they did have to leave. Johnny wasn’t sure if they meant ‘we have to leave’ as in all three of us or ‘we have to leave’ as in just us two good luck and all that jazz. For a change of pace he moved not silently at all towards the door after they left. They’d let him live and he’d probably just slow them down.

But they might need me…

(Johnny Marsh continued in I'm In Despair! Mad Science Has Left Me In Despair!)
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Vinny McQ. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.

Return to “Settlement”