Roaring Rapids of Hell

A rapidly flowing river spans much of the area, dividing it into two halves. Fording points are few and far between, with only a handful of locations being shallow enough to cross safely. Venture into the river at your peril - the current in the deep waters is more than strong enough to drown the unwary...
Jadedflames*

Post by Jadedflames* »

THWACK

The staff connected with the boys forehead, and he went down hard. Simon lifted his staff back up and smashed it into the head again. Another hard crack rang out. He lifted it again, and again it fell.

Again.

Again.

The hard cracks were getting softer now, being replaced by a disgusting squelch. Again and again the staff fell. It broke in half, leaving Simon with a broken stick, and again it fell.

He fell to the ground, shaking. The form in front of him was barely recognizable as human from the shoulders up. Skull cracked, a red pulp around the wounds. His scalp had slipped off like a bad toupee, baring the entire fractured mess.

Simon looked at his stick, covered in blood. He dropped it to the ground, in a panic, scooting away from the body. He wrapped his hands around his knees and shivered.

Was that right? Was that what needed to be done? He was going to shoot him! Of course it was right!

Boy, you really did a number on me.

Simon jumped, looking around frantically, but could see no one.

I mean, look. You knocked my head open like a cantaloupe. Who would have thought that someone so wiry would have that in him.

Simon cringed. He knew the voice now.

Of course, I was not really going to shoot. You could have just left. There was no need for that.

Yes. Yes he was. Of course he was.

No, I really wasn't. Too much to live for, you know. Too much future. Well, I guess that's all behind me now, isn't it? And it is all... your... fault.

Simon shook his head. No. No, shut up.

Shut up? Shut up? That's a laugh. You killed me, friend. Why shouldn't I talk to you?

Because you are dead. Because I killed you. Why are you talking?

I think that's a question for you, Simon. Why am I talking?

I don't know. I don't know. I don't know why you are talking. Why should you be? Why should you talk? You're dead. I have your brains on my trousers!

That may be true, but do you really want me gone? Do you really want me dead?

Yes. Yes you do, don't you, Simon. You wanted him dead, so you killed him. Nothing wrong with that. Why don't you tell him to go away, Simon?

What? No. Didn't want him dead. Just wanted him to back off. Didn't really want him dead...

Then why is he dead, Simon?

Yes, Simon. Why am I dead?

Shut up. Just shut up. I can't deal with this.

Oh, I'm sorry. It's just that I'M DEAD. I thought maybe you could make some time for me.

"SHUT UP!"

The scream rang across the dunes. The first words Simon had spoken in months. The first words to anyone outside his family in years. They were hoarse and dulled with lack of use, almost unintelligible. And they were for the dead boy in front of him.

Simon broke into tears, rocking back and forth next to the dead thing that once was a boy.

Shh Simon. It's all right. He's gone. You told him.

He opened his eyes again, looking at the body. Touching his throat, swallowing around the strange sensation of voice.

I did, didn't I?

That's right, Simon. He's dead. He cannot judge you any more, can he? He can only say what you let him. If he is dead, you are allowed to judge him.

Simon crawled over, put a hand on the rifle, still clutched in the boys hand. He pulled it out, and looked at it. There was a dent from his staff on the cool steel, but other than that, it appeared new.

You can judge all the dead, Simon.

Yes...

Doesn't that seem fair?

Yes...

And if you "judge them" well enough, you just might get back to that girl you left in the cabin.

Cameo. He could not go back yet. Not like this. He had to judge. Had to fix things. But he would return after he made the acquaintance of all those who thought a gun made them powerful. The people in charge had given him a Sheriff's badge, after all. Maybe they knew this was what would happen.

He swung the rifle over one shoulder, took the food and medicine from the boys pack, loading his pack to the brim. He took the canteen as well, emptied a water bottle, and stood up. He washed his hands in the river and looked at his map and compass.

How about the town?

((Simon Mattheson Continued in Taste your Beating Heart))
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Jadedflames. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.

Return to “The River”