Drop the D

Find posts from the Version 2 sandbox of the Program here.
Fenrir
Team Affiliation: Emmy's Selkies

Post by Fenrir »

Well, that got him nowhere. It wasn’t like he was expecting to suddenly override all of this girl’s deeply ingrained bigoted views with a few well placed questions or anything, but some impact from what he was saying would be nice. His last remark had at least given her pause for a second, giving him hope that he had found a hole in her ‘logic’, or her fathers logic at least, but she had bounced back with a simple enough answer soon after.

All minorities were criminals. All white American’s were law abiding citizens, except for those who weren’t but they were clearly all traitors and didn’t count. He had to admit, she had it all wrapped up in a nice little bow like that.

“Ah, screw it. There’s no getting through to you. Can’t blame me for trying though?” the exasperation was clear in Gerald’s voice as he said this, leaning his head back against the wood of his seat again as he returned to looking up at the ceiling. In an grumbled undertone that was most likely still loud enough to hear given the small size of the room and the teens proximity to Jasmine Gerald let out one last comment on the subject. “Fucking lawyers.”

Even though that part of the conversation had fallen through Gerald was still interested in continuing his talk with the girl. By this point he was sticking around more out a sense of investment and of a lack of anything else to do but still, he was enjoying this conversation. He didn’t often get to just talk to people like this.

“So what kind of music does your band play?”
[+] Supers
SS33: Andrew Martin - The sound of silence
Gift: Hush
[+] TV3
MM02: Sarah Lillian Whitlock - Is anybody out there?
Weapon - WASP Injection Knife
Team - Malcolm's Mariners
Current Location - There's a Fire in the Sky That Only I Can See
Memory Location - Close encounters

ES10: Akeno Kudo - Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Weapon - Wire Garotte
Team - Emmy's Selkies
Current Location - Upset
Memory Location - Coulomb's Law

Relationship Thread
[+] INTL
O28: Zander Lin - Don't you know who I am?
Weapon - None
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

From what the boy had said and tone of his voice Jasmine guessed he had given up on trying to argue with her. She glad about that since there was much more interesting things she could be doing than discussing her views of minorities especially when she had to explain her views to a minority. It felt weird to her, like she'd been talking about and then they'd walked into the room. Then again Jasmine tended to make fun of people she didn't like if they were around so she wasn't entirely familiar with the feeling. Although that did help to explain why she felt weird explaining to a minority why she thought they were all criminals, not that her views had changed any.

She heard the boy mutter an insult about lawyers after he finished speaking and didn't doubt that it was intended as a shot at her father. Jasmine elected not to rise to the bait, it wasn't her style to engage in full-blown arguments with people, and she preferred to just pick away at them with sarcastic comments or jokes. That and she didn't feel like continuing their previous conversation. It had been boring and the boy had attempted to change her views throughout.

That was why she was yet again so open to a discussion about music. Although if she was honest it was more the fact they boy was showing interest in her and her band that had kept her talking for so long. The most annoying part for Jasmine was that she was aware of what the boy was doing and had managed to keep falling for the same trick. She guessed she was just that passionate about her music...or had a massive ego and love talking about herself, one or the other.

"We play instrumental metal." She said. "Mainly because we lack a vocalist." As it stood it wasn't that they didn't have songs they could play, it was that they were instrumental because of a lack of a proper vocalist. Jasmine had never tried properly singing before and therefore didn't really trust herself with the job. She didn't know about Ash and Marley had to contend with the fact he would be playing a violin so that didn't seem like it'd work out too well either. "I've written some full songs though. So it's not like we lack material."
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

Gerald nodded along as he listened to Jasmine’s answer to his question. On reflection it probably should have been obvious to him that her band would be a metal band; the way she was dressed, all in dark colours with piercings, definitely gave her the right look for the genre and the little snippets of music she had played since he had been in the room had seemed to his uneducated ears to be a little rockish.

The fact that it was instrumental metal was a little more surprising, he didn’t even know such a thing existed, but the fact that it wasn’t by choice made things make sense again. “Yeah, finding a good singer must be tough, especially since I don’t think many people around here are all that into music to begin with. They’re all about sports. Unless you count the school band?”

After this Gerald lapsed back into silence, bereft of anything else to say. He had gotten into this line of questioning because it had been an obvious talking point with the girl’s bass and because it seemed like the only thing she would actually discuss. Bit now, Gerald lack of knowledge or even enthusiasm over the subject was leading him quickly to a dead end.

Another part of what the girl had said piqued his interest though; from what she said it seemed as if she was the one writing the songs for her band. This was something he could work with, and if it went well he could avoid having to come up with anything else to say for a few minutes.

“So you’re the song writer are you? Think you could play something for me? I’d like to hear what you’re like.”
[+] Supers
[+] TV3

Weapon - Wire Garotte
Team - Emmy's Selkies
Current Location - Upset

Relationship Thread
[+] INTL
Weapon - None
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

The boy was right about not many people in the school being interested in music. If you didn't include the school band you probably wouldn't even need all your fingers to count the people interested in music in their year. Luckily Jasmine was friends with Ashley and they both had a passion for music. Marley also seemed pretty invested in the band but then again he was Ashley's boyfriend so that probably helped.

After the boy finished talking an awkward silence filled the room. It was becoming pretty clear to Jasmine that the boy was running out of things to say. But at least if he was talking about the band he wasn't questioning her about her view on minorities. To try and break the uncomfortable silence Jasmine played a small tune on her bass. Jasmine had never really thought trying to recruit a member from the school band, then again there was the barrier of they would have to like and enjoy the genre of music that the band played and Jasmine knew that metal wasn't the most popular genre of music.

Then he asked her to play a song she had written.

That one actually took Jasmine off guard.

She'd never actually played one of the songs she'd wrote in front of anyone other than Ashley or Marley since she'd had to play the songs to them to get across what they were supposed to sound like. Other than those two no one had heard them...well Jasmine assumed Topaz had since she'd probably heard Jasmine practicing at home but that was different than Jasmine actually playing the song for her. At the same time though Jasmine liked the attention she was getting for her interest in music.

"Yeah I guess I'm the song writer and sure why not, I've been dying to play something this whole time anyway."

Now all she had to do was decide on what song she was going to play. The answer came to her quickly. It was her favourite of the songs she'd written so far and she had a feeling the boy would at least appreciate a part of it. She quickly tuned her bass to the correct pitch.

"Alright, this is called American Nightmare." She told the boy before starting to play, the prelude to the song was a heavily distorted version of the national anthem which only lasted for a short time before the song started proper. Jasmine breathed the introductory lyrics as she played.

Whatever happened to the American Dream?
And when'd it become the American Nightmare!

Just as she reached the break however the sound of the bell echoed through the room, causing her to stop playing with a start.

"You have got to be kidding me." She said the annoyance clear in her voice. Just when she was going to be able to play uninterrupted for the first time that period it ended. That was just the world fucking her over.

"Guess that ruins that."

Jasmine carefully packed her bass away and slung it over her back. Then throwing her drink back into her satchel she slung it over her shoulder. She had her hand on the door handle when she realised she hadn't said goodbye to the boy. For some reason she felt like she had to do it, she had no idea why but she didn't feel like dwelling on it. After all she had a class to go and sleep in.

"Have a nice life I guess."

With that Jasmine put her headphone back into her, turned her music back on and left the room.

It was only later when she realised that she'd had a full conversation with the boy and she never even found out his name.

((Jasmine Stone continued in Luck is for Losers))
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

To be honest, Gerald was as surprised that the girl had said yes to his request as the girl had been to hear him ask it. He was sure he was pushing things too far in asking to hear her play something she had written, the point at which she would remember she never wanted to speak to him in the first place and just walk out. Instead she seemed perfectly willing to indulge his request, even eager to get a chance to finally play something and show off.

She paused for a moment, looking as if she was thinking about something, probably to decide which song to play, before messing with the keys at the top of her instruments neck.

"Alright, this is called American Nightmare."

Gerald raised an eyebrow at the name but didn’t get any time to question it any further before the music kicked in. It started with something that, even distorted as it was, anybody living in America would recognize, before dropping into the song proper. Even Gerald, who almost never listened to music, could tell that the song was pretty good.

When the girl started in with the lyrics however, he had to lean in closer to even be able to tell that she was singing at all. I guess it made sense that she wouldn’t feel comfortable singing the words herself, else her band wouldn’t be out a singer, but even so Gerald would have liked to have heard the words, poorly sung or otherwise.

Before they had even gotten a minute in however, the bell for the next class rang out and the sound of the instrument cut off suddenly. The girl seemed quite annoyed to have her playing interrupted – as was Gerald actually – while he was more surprised. Had it really been the entire lunch hour already? I guess time flew when you were having a lot of awkward silences.

The girl hurried packed away her stuff while Gerald, who didn’t really have anything to pack away, just sat there. Within moments the girl was hurrying out the door, only to stop and turn back to him.

"Have a nice life I guess."

Before Gerald could say a goodbye in response she had already stuffed her earphones back in her ears and disappeared from view. The teen was left sitting alone in an empty classroom with his thoughts for the moment, not in any particularly rush to get to his next boring class. He couldn’t help but smile a little at the past exchange. He guessed he must have made more headway with… whatshername… than he thought. This lunchbreak wasn’t such a waste after all.

((Gerald Lawson continued in Damned if You Do, Damned if You Don't))
[+] Supers
[+] TV3

Weapon - Wire Garotte
Team - Emmy's Selkies
Current Location - Upset

Relationship Thread
[+] INTL
Weapon - None

Return to “Program V2 Sandbox”