Pool 2278

One shot

Ice cold and deep enough to lose your depth easily, swimming here is not recommended. Just a little north of the inhabited areas, it's clear from the decayed boat shed built on its edge that the lake was once used for fishing, likely by miners in their off hours. There are even a number of small rowing boats present, though the majority of them are rotted to the point of being unusable.
CondorTalon

Pool 2278

Post by CondorTalon »

((Christopher Schwartz continued from The Snakes of Ireland.))

He wasn't a hundred percent sold on his own idea. It just seemed like... something to do. Chris stepped carefully into the water, as much as he felt safe, holding the bec de corbin in his hand.

He blinked a few times, looking up to the sky.

"You know what a soul jar is?" he said to one. And no one responded.

"It's supposed to be something that holds a person's soul, so that person effectively becomes immortal," he continued, "Well, obviously, immortality isn't a thing that exists."

He looked down at the bec de corbin, before scratching his head.

"Ah, you know, I wanted to bury you," he said, "But I didn't want to move you. 'Cause like... I don't know, it didn't feel right, getting your blood on my hands."

"Is that offensive? I dunno. Can you even hear me? Is there even an afterlife? Fuck if I know that, either. But I needed to think of... I dunno, something, to do as last rites."

"Kind of a moot point if the afterlife doesn't exist, but... Agh, man, I'm kicking myself over all this, just..."

And then Chris took the bec de corbin with both hands and threw it as hard as he could into the lake.

"You know, burial at sea," he said, his breath louder than it was before, "Except this is a lake. I'm not very good at this, am I?"

"Well, if nothing else, it just means that no one else can use it. It was yours after all."

He scratched his head again.

"Is it... okay to prescribe it to you? I mean... you had so many other things to you than what weapon you got, but..."

Chris sighed again.

"I'm not good at this at all. I'm just... gonna... go."

And so Chris left the lake behind, his rather awkward attempt at last rites completed.

((Christopher Schwartz continued in That's So Ravine.))

Return to “The Lake”