Did you really think I'd fall to my knees just to pray for some sweet simplicity?

private; day 6; around noon

Once upon a time, the quarry, located in the island's western side, was the source of almost all human activity on the island. Now, the large, jagged rock formation stands as a monument to the abandoned aspirations of the miners. A large portion of it has been cleared, and the face is climbable. There are lots of indentations along the face from dynamite blasts and other mining activity, some of which terminate a few yards in and others of which continue far deeper, even in some cases connecting with the tunnels
Zetsu

Did you really think I'd fall to my knees just to pray for some sweet simplicity?

Post by Zetsu »

((Irene Djezari continued from Carp Diem))

Irene sighed when she reached the rock formation. She'd whistled, as loudly as she could, for a good couple of hours, and no one had troubled her for it. Wasn't that the dream? Wasn't that supposed to be good? But now Irene was just, well. What was the point of doing anything if you couldn't even make yourself enjoy it?

Well, what can you say. It was a gloomy day. A grey day, a desolate monolith, a lonely whistler. Makes for a kinda melancholic, pathetic picture, doesn't it? There was really no enjoying yourself in this kind of day, was there? Even back home. That was a kind of reassurance.

She turned around, leaned against the monolith. School wall. Yep. Just another day after school, nothing to do, and her parents were late to pick her up.

Surely you can come up with better escapist fantasies than this, Irene.

Irene closed her eyes, slid down the school wall. Yep. She was outside school, waiting for her parents to pick her up, trying to pass the time by daydreaming.
Pippi
Team Affiliation: Stephanie's Buccaneers

Post by Pippi »

((Roy Benson continued from Now, Wait, Wait, Wait for Me, Please Hang Around. I'll See You When I Fall Asleep))

Roy had a lot of time to think, now that he was all by himself.

The first thing he thought about, as he limped away and under the boughs of a tree to shelter from the rain, was that Dan really deserved a better send-off than that. A couple of sentences and a turn of the back for the guy who’d quite possibly saved his life? Jeez, dude. The guy was probably glad to see the back of him, if that was the only thing he had to say.

But, hey. He’d said it, and there wasn’t any way to unsay it now. Only thing he could do was stash it away in the pile of stuff he’d fucked up, and keep moving on.

So he had. As soon as the rain had stopped, like the water in God’s shower had turned cold and he’d quickly turned the dang thing off, he’d pushed himself up to his feet, groaning all the way, and moved on.

Then, as he’d started the painful cycle of walking when his legs felt like they’d give out at any second, he’d thought about what would have happened if he had pulled the trigger.

Well, at the end of the day, he’d still be in the same spot. Alone. Because Johnny would be dead, and like hell Dan would even want to stick with Roy after that, and so, hey, yeah, he’d be alone in the cold and the rain with nothing but an even greater weight sitting on his conscience. He’d be in the same place he was right now, but his back was already close to breaking, and if he’d put something else on top of it, then that would almost certainly be the proverbial straw.

After a good few minutes of walking, Roy had realised he really didn’t wanna think about shooting Johnny anymore.

So he’d stopped thinking, and kept on moving.

And now, as he was approaching the quarry, he was thinking about what he was gonna do next.

That question, it turned out, was surprisingly simple. He’d fucked up on, hell, basically every single step since he’d woken up. He’d lost all of the allies he’d made, all fuckin’ three of them, and now he was limping and bleeding and hurting, looking like something the cat wouldn’t even wanna drag in. So what could he do? He had two choices. He could give it all up, and lie down, and wait for the inevitable.

Or he could actually move his sorry ass and do something worthwhile out here. Something that meant the last week of his life wouldn’t be a waste of time.

And as Roy walked through the valley of death, he saw something, or someone, leaning against the wall that gave him the perfect opportunity to do just that.

“Hey there, Irene,” Roy said as he approached. “Long time no see.”
[+] Currently Playing
Programmed To Fight
F18 - Nanna-Fiora Kroos - SAFE in Vive Hodie - “So let's be happy instead.” - Kel-Tec KSG
Her Nonary Game begins here

Those Taken
M04 - Galahad Matthews - Fireman's Axe, WASP Injection Knife, Netgun - It went from a spark to an open flame, now destiny's calling out your name - ALIVE
Present - And T'Were Well That She Stood > Cake By The Ocean > Now Look At This Net > P - I - P - E - S > If The Nineth Lion Ate The Sun > Out of the Depths of Sorrow and of Sacrifice
Past - Only Got Bad Things On My Mind When I'm With You
Home- The Man Who Wrote Thriller

SOTF: U!!!! soulja boy tell 'em
P007 - Kay Poultier - XL15 Flamethrower - When all these trees saw us grow, cut our teeth and make our bones right here - ALIVE - [Oceans] > house > Tolerance > world > harbour > tomorrow
The Ship - Shades
Memories - cold > sea > love

A CYBER'S WORLD?
A19 - Gabrielle "Gabby" McLeod - Go tell it to the plain clothed officer behind us, what are you, a master of disguise and keeping silent? - ALIVE - EQUIPPED WITH: MAC-10, M1911A1 Water Gun - Lemon Squash > Strawberry House > Uncharitable Circumstances
Pregame - Nagito Komaeda

Malachi Harlington - One Room Death Game - 1 Medallion - ALIVE
[+] Remembering those lost
SOTF-TV
PNK3-Glen Bole-SDA-DEAD-28/66-"Ah well. I guess I'll find out at the nex-"
Weapons: SPAS-12, rather large tree branch, small pair of scissors + double rations
Kills: One (Simon Porter)
Status and Location: Lying dead with a bullet in his head, in Metanoia.
Cause of death: Shot in the head by Vincent Sullivan.

ORA2-Brennan O'Brian-DCHS-DEAD-14/66-I'm sorry...
Weapons: Bottle of LSD labeled "Water Purification Tablets", Colt Anaconda .45 Magnum (2/6, 30/36 in Box), SPAS-12 (Currently lying somewhere on the beach.
Kills: None.
Status and Location: Utterly defeated in Of Moons, Birds and Monsters
Cause of death: Strangled to death by Madelyn Conner

Virtua-SOTF
M01-Roy Benson-LIVES x00-21/47-No-one else is gonna get hurt... No-one else is gonna die here...
Current Weapons Equipped: N/A
Weapons Discarded: American Flatbow + 10 arrows (Given to Martin Ricco), 2 arrows, Rolling Pin (Burnt in fire started by Delilah Rivers)
Killstreak: N/A
Current Level: Final Level-Devil Nights
Killed By: Player F10-Holly Romero

F08-Amelia Lennon-LIVES x00-9/47-"Katie, Rebecca? … Thank you. I couldn’t have asked for better friends. You deserve to get out of here more than me.”
Weapons Discarded: Pick Axe, Bowie Knife (Hurled off of mountain)
Killstreak: One-Player F03-Tania Chell
Current Level: Final Level-The Highest Heights
Killed By: Herself/Fall from mountain

Second Chances
G02-Aileen Borden-DEAD-30/37-How fucking cliche...
Weapons: Hockey Stick
Kills: Zero
Status and location: Staying snarky to the end in Thin Line Between Heaven and Here
Cause of death: Shot by Paige Single.

B01-Glen Bole-DEAD-4/37-“You’re a fucking coward who thinks he’s the big man, now he’s got a gun. You don’t deserve shit.”
Weapons: Binoculars, Sledgehammer, Large shard of glass, Beretta M92F
Status and location: Not close enough in The Twilight of our Youth
Cause of death: Shot by Karl Chalmers

The Program v2
M03-Jonathan Roberts-DEAD-19/41-“Hey! Hey, over here!"
Location: Made one too many bad decisions in Virtue's Last Reward
Weapon: Fiddle
Kills: None
Shot by: Anastasia "Tas" Flores

M04-Carlyle Shotton-DEAD-11/41-I... I did alright... didn’t I?
Weapon: Kentucky Rifle, Pitchfork
Kills: 1 (Gwen Phonesavanh)
Shot by: Robin Pounds

TV 2 LADS
IS3-Lucia del Pirlo-The Paranoid Painter-“I-I didn’t want to do it! I had to! Just... Please, you have to believe me!”-FOR LEAH
Weapon: Jericho 941
Died in pain and fear in Going Forward

SS1-Bunny Barlowe-The Ace Actress-"Regina! Regina, help me!”-HELLA DEAD
Weapon: Razor Sweet Pea Scooter, Frying Pan
Forever famous in Rock the Flock

Second Chances V2
B07 - Roy D. Benson - “"I'll save a glass of Moxie for you, whenever we meet again."” - DECEASED
Weapon: Kiss of Death
Current Location: Did you really think I'd fall to my knees just to pray for some sweet simplicity?

G18 - Bunny Barlowe - "And I bet you're a coward, too." - DECEASED
Weapon: Maschinenpistole 40, Kevlar Vest, Harpoon gun
Current Location: We Own The Night

Program Prologue
F16 - Faye Xandora - Deceased in Quietus - “I can do that. Watch your back, I mean. I think I might go insane if I’m left by myself.” - Pistol Crossbow
M39 - Morgan Jones - Deceased in Clean Up - “Oh, sweet Jesus, thank fuck you’re still here, I was getting worried for a-“ - Plush 'Hulk Smash' Hands
NPC-M16 - Scott Osbourne - Deceased in Rhizome 9 - "Sorry Mom, sorry Dad." - Caltrops (x5)
NPC-M21 - Joel "JB" Blackwell - Deceased in CQD Ward - "...!" - Yarará Parachute Knife
NPC-F29 - Victoria Bellamy - Deceased in Strange Bedfellows -“And there’s no future at all in a traitor who’ll never become anything more than a penniless skank in the gutter.” - Italian Folding Spetum

The Program V3
F08 - Kat Locke-Baldwin - Bubble gun painted to look like a real gun, Swordcane - Just take a look at my place, it's such a mess, but I'll be out of this space as soon as you tell me where the night is - DEAD
Present - And All Because Of A Snail > When A Curious Hate Oozes Calamity > Schrödinger's Kat in; The Prisonya's Dilemma > What if You... Wanted to go to Heaven... But god said, "ᴜɴᴇxᴘᴇᴄᴛᴇᴅ ɪᴛᴇᴍ ɪɴ ʙᴀɢɢɪɴɢ ᴀʀᴇᴀ" > P - I - P - E - S
Home - Anyway, Here's Wonderwall

Live on your TV now!
JL10: Laura Hakštok - Dead - Weapons: Tannerite Binary Explosive - I got left behind, I got high off my own supply, I got left behind, deep wounds can't die
SANDBOX - Floating - Camp - Worse
MEMORIES - 과부
MAIN GAME - > Prism > Fugitive > Time > CocaineQuest > Bear > Me > Paradigm

SB04: Bethan Gayle -Dead- Weapons: Pike (Polearm) - When everything is said and done, looking for answers if only one, turn my back the urge has gone, left with no reason we come undone
SANDBOX - 제 눈에 안경이다
MAIN GAME - Blast > Turtle > Excellent > Fix > Someone > Talk > Fight > Shake > Heroes

An International Incident
O12: Matthew Omeruo - DECEASED - Trishula - With shortness of breath, you explained the infinite, how rare and beautiful it is to even exist.
Current Thread: Run From the Sun

Super Dupers
S002: Mercedes Guenther - DECEASED - Which one of us set on fire? Cause we both went up in smoke. Which one of us cut the wire? Ain't no bottom to this hole. - Your Actions Have Consequences
Memories - GROUNDED

Battle Royale... 2!!!
B3: Tatsumichi Oki - Smith & Wesson M59 9mm Semi-Automatic Pistol - DECEASED - When the seagulls follow the trawler - “You an’ me, we can do this. Whenever you’re ready.”
[+] The Future Past
TV Season 68
Blythe Gaskell - Ever feel like you can't breathe? Does the water feel too deep? Lie awake cause you can't sleep without it?
TV Season 69
Cormac Gamble
TV Season 70
Brooke Gaskell/Dustin Priestly/Leona Witsel

TV
Verity Callaghan - We're living in the currents you create, we're sinking in the pool of your mistakes.
Reynold "Rey" Fountain - When all that you have's stale and it's cold, oh, you'll no longer feel when your heart's turned to gold.
Quinn Dallaway - I am flesh and I am bone, rise up, ting ting, like glitter and gold.
Josie Josephs - You were caught in the crossfire of childhood and stardom, blown on the steel breeze
Fiona Cahill - I'm ridiculous, and feeling very particular about my world
Marcia Wolff

???
Dashiell Thompson - And now I'll never have a chance to be myself, so you can skip me with your heart again
Lazarus McLeod - Instead of carving up the wall, why don't you open up with talk?
Diana Mascherano - From stern to bow, singing land ho, the boat is leaking but we won't let go.
Cameron Light - Come down, and waste away with me, down with me.
Jermaine Urwick - Don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy, we'll all float on all right.
Maya Dagenham - She hates it when I shout these words, but I'll still sing for you.
Ivor Faraday - Swung and missed, I put my heart in this mythical holy good guy I want so bad to be.
Winter Juson - And you know you're a terrible sight, but you'll be just fine, just don't believe the hype.
Miranda West - And why'd you say it's just another day, nothing in my way?
Raleigh Quinn
Percy Tsu
Zetsu

Post by Zetsu »

Figures that Roy was the one who ended up breaking Irene's peace and quiet. If anyone was inconsiderate enough to do it, it'd be him.

Still, though. Irene wasn't gonna shoot him for it. Not yet, anyways. After all, it could be an accident. It probably was. It's not like anyone was wandering around looking to ruin everyone else's day just for the heck of it. No, the only reason to ruin Irene's day deliberately was if you were deluded.

Deluded. There's that word again. It'd almost passed out of Irene's vocabulary in the past day, she'd been so busy. And she didn't even need to play mental gymnastics with the word anymore, since she wasn't even deluded anymore. Not really. She'd given up on deluding herself. She was going to do the best with the hand that sanity had dealt her. You'd be insane to choose sanity over insanity at this point, but 'choose' is the operative word there, wasn't it? And Irene didn't have a choice. She wanted to be insane; thus, she knows that she's sane.

Now. Time to see if this fucker is still deluded, right?

Irene snapped an eye open. There was Roy, twenty feet away, waiting for a response.

Irene stretched, stood up, grabbed her harpoon, and walked forwards so that she wouldn't have to shout.

"Yeah."

Irene's eyes flicked around.

"So where's Johnny? Dan? Rachael? Oh...shit. Sorry. Or maybe not sorry. Dunno how you feel about her dying, but. If you're feeling bad about that then. Sorry. Assuming it wasn't your fault."

Irene's mouth twitched. Yeah. Maybe she's still got a little of that insanity in her yet.
Pippi

Post by Pippi »

Roy let out a bark of a laugh, one that turned into a hacking series of coughs that brought his hand to his knee, his throat threatening to close up, tears stinging his eyes. It surprised him, the sound. The laughter. It reminded him of the first couple of days, with Johnny and Dan. Hanging out in the mess hall, planning on barricading the place up, sharing a fucking… what was it again, Mockey? Roxie? Whatever. They had soda, for christ’s sake. Out here on murder island. Laughing and drinking together.

Good times. Bittersweet times, but better to cling on to them, than to the memories of trying to turn Johnny’s face into pulp, yanno?

Roy spat onto the ground, then stood up as straight as he could, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand, before letting it sit casually in his pocket, fingertips brushing against the cold metal of his lipstick gun.

“Depends on your definition of ‘fault’, I guess,” he said. Fuck. He hadn’t paid attention when he’d greeted Irene, but his voice sounded like he felt. Rough, on the verge of giving out, like it had been grabbed by unseen claws and flung against the wall repeatedly.

And yet? Still right fuckin’ here.

“She left us cause I wasn’t keeping an eye on her. That was my fault. What happened after that isn’t. And don’t get me wrong, I ain’t saying I haven’t fucked up all over the place. Johnny and Dan are on their own cause I fucked up, and they’d be better off without me. I fucked up a lot.”

The lipstick gun danced between Roy’s fingers, hidden out of sight behind a wall of fabric.

“And you?”
[+] Currently Playing
Programmed To Fight
F18 - Nanna-Fiora Kroos - SAFE in Vive Hodie - “So let's be happy instead.” - Kel-Tec KSG

Those Taken
M04 - Galahad Matthews - Fireman's Axe, WASP Injection Knife, Netgun - It went from a spark to an open flame, now destiny's calling out your name - ALIVE
Present - And T'Were Well That She Stood > Cake By The Ocean > Now Look At This Net > P - I - P - E - S > If The Nineth Lion Ate The Sun > Out of the Depths of Sorrow and of Sacrifice

P007 - Kay Poultier - XL15 Flamethrower - When all these trees saw us grow, cut our teeth and make our bones right here - ALIVE - [Oceans] > house > Tolerance > world > harbour > tomorrow
The Ship - Shades

A CYBER'S WORLD?
A19 - Gabrielle "Gabby" McLeod - Go tell it to the plain clothed officer behind us, what are you, a master of disguise and keeping silent? - ALIVE - EQUIPPED WITH: MAC-10, M1911A1 Water Gun - Lemon Squash > Strawberry House > Uncharitable Circumstances
Pregame - Nagito Komaeda

SOTF-TV
Weapons: SPAS-12, rather large tree branch, small pair of scissors + double rations

Weapons: Bottle of LSD labeled "Water Purification Tablets", Colt Anaconda .45 Magnum (2/6, 30/36 in Box), SPAS-12 (Currently lying somewhere on the beach.

Virtua-SOTF
M01-Roy Benson-LIVES x00-21/47-No-one else is gonna get hurt... No-one else is gonna die here...
Weapons Discarded: American Flatbow + 10 arrows (Given to Martin Ricco), 2 arrows, Rolling Pin (Burnt in fire started by Delilah Rivers)

F08-Amelia Lennon-LIVES x00-9/47-"Katie, Rebecca? … Thank you. I couldn’t have asked for better friends. You deserve to get out of here more than me.”

Second Chances
Status and location: Staying snarky to the end in Thin Line Between Heaven and Here

B01-Glen Bole-DEAD-4/37-“You’re a fucking coward who thinks he’s the big man, now he’s got a gun. You don’t deserve shit.”

The Program v2

TV 2 LADS
IS3-Lucia del Pirlo-The Paranoid Painter-“I-I didn’t want to do it! I had to! Just... Please, you have to believe me!”-FOR LEAH

Second Chances V2
B07 - Roy D. Benson - “"I'll save a glass of Moxie for you, whenever we meet again."” - DECEASED
Current Location: Did you really think I'd fall to my knees just to pray for some sweet simplicity?

Program Prologue
F16 - Faye Xandora - Deceased in Quietus - “I can do that. Watch your back, I mean. I think I might go insane if I’m left by myself.” - Pistol Crossbow
M39 - Morgan Jones - Deceased in Clean Up - “Oh, sweet Jesus, thank fuck you’re still here, I was getting worried for a-“ - Plush 'Hulk Smash' Hands
NPC-M16 - Scott Osbourne - Deceased in Rhizome 9 - "Sorry Mom, sorry Dad." - Caltrops (x5)
NPC-M21 - Joel "JB" Blackwell - Deceased in CQD Ward - "...!" - Yarará Parachute Knife
NPC-F29 - Victoria Bellamy - Deceased in Strange Bedfellows -“And there’s no future at all in a traitor who’ll never become anything more than a penniless skank in the gutter.” - Italian Folding Spetum

The Program V3
F08 - Kat Locke-Baldwin - Bubble gun painted to look like a real gun, Swordcane - Just take a look at my place, it's such a mess, but I'll be out of this space as soon as you tell me where the night is - DEAD
Present - And All Because Of A Snail > When A Curious Hate Oozes Calamity > Schrödinger's Kat in; The Prisonya's Dilemma > What if You... Wanted to go to Heaven... But god said, "ᴜɴᴇxᴘᴇᴄᴛᴇᴅ ɪᴛᴇᴍ ɪɴ ʙᴀɢɢɪɴɢ ᴀʀᴇᴀ" > P - I - P - E - S

Live on your TV now!
JL10: Laura Hakštok - Dead - Weapons: Tannerite Binary Explosive - I got left behind, I got high off my own supply, I got left behind, deep wounds can't die
MEMORIES - 과부

SB04: Bethan Gayle -Dead- Weapons: Pike (Polearm) - When everything is said and done, looking for answers if only one, turn my back the urge has gone, left with no reason we come undone
SANDBOX - 제 눈에 안경이다
MAIN GAME - Blast > Turtle > Excellent > Fix > Someone > Talk > Fight > Shake > Heroes

O12: Matthew Omeruo - DECEASED - Trishula - With shortness of breath, you explained the infinite, how rare and beautiful it is to even exist.

Super Dupers
S002: Mercedes Guenther - DECEASED - Which one of us set on fire? Cause we both went up in smoke. Which one of us cut the wire? Ain't no bottom to this hole. - Your Actions Have Consequences
Memories - GROUNDED

Battle Royale... 2!!!
B3: Tatsumichi Oki - Smith & Wesson M59 9mm Semi-Automatic Pistol - DECEASED - When the seagulls follow the trawler - “You an’ me, we can do this. Whenever you’re ready.”
[+] The Future Past
TV Season 68
Blythe Gaskell - Ever feel like you can't breathe? Does the water feel too deep? Lie awake cause you can't sleep without it?
TV Season 69
Cormac Gamble
TV Season 70

TV
Verity Callaghan - We're living in the currents you create, we're sinking in the pool of your mistakes.
Reynold "Rey" Fountain - When all that you have's stale and it's cold, oh, you'll no longer feel when your heart's turned to gold.
Quinn Dallaway - I am flesh and I am bone, rise up, ting ting, like glitter and gold.
Josie Josephs - You were caught in the crossfire of childhood and stardom, blown on the steel breeze
Marcia Wolff

???
Dashiell Thompson - And now I'll never have a chance to be myself, so you can skip me with your heart again
Lazarus McLeod - Instead of carving up the wall, why don't you open up with talk?
Diana Mascherano - From stern to bow, singing land ho, the boat is leaking but we won't let go.
Jermaine Urwick - Don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy, we'll all float on all right.
Maya Dagenham - She hates it when I shout these words, but I'll still sing for you.
Ivor Faraday - Swung and missed, I put my heart in this mythical holy good guy I want so bad to be.
Winter Juson - And you know you're a terrible sight, but you'll be just fine, just don't believe the hype.
Raleigh Quinn
Percy Tsu
Zetsu

Post by Zetsu »

Irene jumped a little when Roy laughed, her arm instinctively raising the harpoon before it relaxed.

"I've done my best, I guess. Not that it amounted to much, I guess, but..."

Irene shrugged. Her voice was monotone.

"Best not to think about that, I guess. Gotta try and keep my chin up and all, y'know?"

Why was Irene telling him this? He was Roy. Roy fucking Benson. He wasn't gonna get it. He was deluded. He still thought he was going to make it off the island without being complicit in killing his friends. Yeah, right. Newsflash: you either care about survival or you don't. You can't have it both ways.

Irene gritted her teeth. Dammit, it wasn't his fault. He wasn't even trying to have it both ways anymore. But she was tempted to shoot him right now just to stop him from bringing up these thoughts. Being angry wasn't fun, you know?

"Look, I'm...really not in the mood to talk right now. If you fucked up, then...well. I don't know what to say. Consolations? Try not to fuck up more? At least you realized that you fucked up?"

And why exactly was Irene's voice monotone? That wasn't what she was about, was it? But she really didn't have the energy to pretend to be happy, even if she needed to--here it comes--fake it in order to make it.

"I..."

Fuck.

"I need to find KK. Give her a gift."

Close enough. Irene cracked a grin. A full grin, and not the strained monstrosity she'd popped on and off yesterday. This one was the real deal. Even if the joy was...well. Not faked, but. Pretending to be goofy and cheerful made her feel happy, yes, but this wasn't making it by faking it. Irene wasn't laughing because she was pretending to laugh. She was laughing because seeing herself pretend to laugh was so goddamn funny.

"A kiss, to be precise. And maybe some food. Didn't mean for that to sound euphemistic, unless she tries to kill me again, in which case it really would have to be euphemistic, you know? But either way, it's win-win for everyone. So where is she?"

Not 'do you know where she is'. Where is she. Because Roy knows. Because the idea that Roy knew anything, let alone that, was fucking hilarious.
Pippi

Post by Pippi »

“Fuck if I know.”

Wincing as he did so, Roy shrugged, looking at Irene, his expression a mixture of confusion and bemusement. Did she really think that he knew where KK was? More to the point, did she really think he would tell her if he did? Sure, from what he could glean from the announcements, KK was one of those batshit crazy few who were murdering their way through the island, so maybe she’d decide to do the same to Irene, but if she didn’t? He’d be giving Irene exactly what she wanted.

And like hell if he trusted Irene or wanted to help her.

Could you blame him? Roy didn’t think so. Take Irene’s actions, back when Roy and Johnny and Dan and Rachael were all still together, and combine that with the harpoon she was holding and the sledgehammer resting against the quarry wall, as well as the blood splattered across her clothing? All that added up to one hell of a suspicious person.

And even if KK did end up killing her, that’d just fuck up Roy’s entire plan, wouldn’t it?

Still, Roy couldn’t stop a grin of his own from shifting onto his face, as his fingers curled around the lipstick gun in his pocket.

“I haven’t seen anyone but you and the other three since I first woke up.”

Because he finally, without a doubt in his mind, knew what he was gonna do now.

“Well, ‘sides from a whole bunch of corpses. You had any personal experience with those so far?”

And God, you wanna know the best part about it?

“Hey, but, before we part ways and shit, I’ve got a gift of my own for you.”

Irene was setting him up perfectly for this.

“In fact, it’s the exact same one you’re planning.”

In one fluid motion, Roy slipped his hand from his pocket, pointed it at Irene, and pressed the button on the side of the lipstick.
[+] Currently Playing
Programmed To Fight

Those Taken

The Ship - Shades

A CYBER'S WORLD?
Pregame - Nagito Komaeda

SOTF-TV

Virtua-SOTF

Second Chances

The Program v2

TV 2 LADS

Second Chances V2

Program Prologue

The Program V3

Live on your TV now!
MEMORIES - 과부

SANDBOX - 제 눈에 안경이다

Super Dupers
Memories - GROUNDED

Battle Royale... 2!!!
[+] The Future Past
TV Season 68
TV Season 69
Cormac Gamble
TV Season 70

TV
Marcia Wolff

???
Raleigh Quinn
Percy Tsu
Zetsu

Post by Zetsu »

Irene barely had time to tense up and be surprised by the fact that Roy wasn't raising a gun on her before hearing an understated booming click-POP and wow guess that was a gun after all huh and then she was doubled over, trying to keep her eyes open, trying to focus on the ground and keep her feet on the ground and oh god, you'd think she'd be accustomed to pain by now, right? You'd think the searing screaming pulsing somewhere in Irene's stomach--no, it's a tummy it's her torso it's her-her-belly, that's what it is--you'd think it wouldn't threaten to sweep her off her feet like this, but it did. The ground is there. Your feet are on the ground. You're staring at the ground. You're not falling over. Just don't move and you won't fall over, Irene.

Irene panted, letting the red clear from her version, and then she unbent her back, slowly, drawing herself back up into a standing position. Her ears thundered.

Rude.

Irene had been having a moment there, she really had. She'd even been moved to think highly of Roy for a good solid minute, to think that he really did care about his friends, that maybe, just maybe, he'd discovered the liberation, the necessity, of giving up.

So fuck him.

Irene raised a trembling arm, pointed the harpoon at Roy's chest.

Fuck him.

Still, he wasn't running. Goddammit. She stared at him, only five seven but so much taller in her imagination, and she took a step towards him, swaying. She smiled, matter-of-factly.

"So. That's that. I don't think I want to see you again, Roy. Any last words?"
Pippi

Post by Pippi »

It was louder than he'd expected.

He'd kinda thought the lipstick gun would be like one of those old potato guns, or the air guns he'd practiced with every now and again. Just a gentle little pop, almost unnoticeable to anyone outside of the quarry.

But this? This was almost a full blown gunshot, one that caused Roy's ears to ring and a jolt to shoot through his wrist, a spasm of pain that caused the case of the gun to crack beneath his grip. And God. It felt good.

Roy closed his eyes, and sighed, shoulders heaving. The lipstick gun fell from his fingers, single bullet spent, clattering against the ground and settling in the dust to be left behind and forgotten.

He opened his eyes again to see Irene still standing. Bleeding, in pain, just about keeping herself upright. But still standing. With a harpoon, once again, pointed at his chest.

Roy felt the colour drain from his face. He breathed in, breathed out, and he felt everything within him slip away.

So that, as Irene said, was that. This was how it all ended.

Y'know, he really thought he'd be more cut up about it.

He was about to fuckin' die, for Christ's sake. He was about to close his eyes and never open them again, and never see his friends or family or play football or family or do anything again. He was about to venture into the great unknown, something he'd never really thought about before because you know what? It fucking terrified him, even letting it cross his mind. So even now, he was trying to think of anything but.

And after spending the last few days wandering in circles, doing absolutely nothing but breaking his own group down, and now slowly bleeding and bruising out because of his own, constant mistakes? The only thing he could think about was how tired he was.

He didn't really wanna go out this way, didn't really wanna go out at all, but man, he was just exhausted of it all.

So he didn't move when Irene aimed the harpoon at his stomach. Barely even blinked. Just looked right at her, straight at her face, with hard eyes and a soft smile.

"Got a couple, probably, yeah," he managed to mutter. His lips were dry, his breathing steady. He thought for a few moments.

"Let 'em know I never stopped trying to do what I thought was right."

He paused. Thought a little longer. Then shrugged.

"That's all I got."
[+] Currently Playing
Programmed To Fight

Those Taken

The Ship - Shades

A CYBER'S WORLD?
Pregame - Nagito Komaeda

SOTF-TV

Virtua-SOTF

Second Chances

The Program v2

TV 2 LADS

Second Chances V2

Program Prologue

The Program V3

Live on your TV now!
MEMORIES - 과부

SANDBOX - 제 눈에 안경이다

Super Dupers
Memories - GROUNDED

Battle Royale... 2!!!
[+] The Future Past
TV Season 68
TV Season 69
Cormac Gamble
TV Season 70

TV
Marcia Wolff

???
Raleigh Quinn
Percy Tsu
Zetsu

Post by Zetsu »

Irene looked into his eyes. Goddamn him. Goddamn that bastard for making her do this.

Irene sighed and lowered the harpoon.

"You're off the hook, I guess. But I still don't want to see you again."

Because the bastard really was insane. He really had thought that he could play to win without letting his friends die, and goddammit, how could she have not seen it? That was hope right there. And now, he really did think he should kill without playing to win. That was...that was something, right there. That was believing in something.

Roy didn't make sense to Irene, and that was good. Wasn't that what Irene had been trying to do, this whole time?

So she couldn't kill him. Not now. Not when he was just starting to make sense to her. She'd regret it if she did, even if he had just. Fucking shot her. Ruined her day and all. Irene fingered the hole in her shirt, touched raw flesh, held in a scream. Yeah, you could say that again. Though it wasn't lethal, probably. She was breathing fine and she wasn't bleeding too heavily and if any vital organs had been hit she hadn't felt it yet, but still. Ow ow ow.

Breathe in, breathe out.

"So. Roy. Why did you shoot me?"
Pippi

Post by Pippi »

Figured. The one time Roy said something worthwhile out here, the one thing that was gonna get him out of trouble and to relative safety, it was right after he’d accepted his own demise. It wasn’t quite irony, and if he’d described it like that in his amateur journalism, he’d probably deserve to be shot, but with everything going around him, and in the vast wasteland of the universe?

He could afford to play a little hard and loose with the English language. It was ironic.

Roy looked at Irene, and her face was a mirror. Pained intent burning in their eyes and their mouth. Dried blood and dirt cracking on their cheeks and forehead. Heavy breathing. Matted, filthy hair. Something etched into their faces that showed they knew that they could be dead in the blink of an eye.

That was where the similarities ended, as far as Roy was concerned.

He didn’t get it. He didn’t get why Irene had decided not to pull the trigger. He didn’t get why, after everything he suspected about her, after the fact that he’d shot her first, she didn’t fire back.

Roy thought it over for a little while longer, before he realised he didn’t really care about the ‘whys’. Just about the fact that he was, somehow, still alive right now.

“I don’t trust you, that’s all,” Roy said. “I think you’re one step away from murdering anyone and everyone you see. I think you’re gonna be the next big name on those announcements. So I figured, if I could take you out first, get rid of just one murderer, or would-be murderer, then I’d have done something right for once.”

His smile was little more than a thin, hard line, now.

“I know I shouldn’t be the one to decide who gets to live and die, and I know that shit ain’t a normal way of thinking, but, c’mon.”

He gestured to the lipstick gun on the ground, the harpoon in Irene’s hands, the entire quarry they were standing in.

“What’s normal about any of this? If God and St. Peter and whatever decide they wanna send me to hell, then fuck it. Go right ahead, big guy. It can’t be any worse than this shithole.”
[+] Currently Playing
Programmed To Fight

Those Taken

The Ship - Shades

A CYBER'S WORLD?
Pregame - Nagito Komaeda

SOTF-TV

Virtua-SOTF

Second Chances

The Program v2

TV 2 LADS

Second Chances V2

Program Prologue

The Program V3

Live on your TV now!
MEMORIES - 과부

SANDBOX - 제 눈에 안경이다

Super Dupers
Memories - GROUNDED

Battle Royale... 2!!!
[+] The Future Past
TV Season 68
TV Season 69
Cormac Gamble
TV Season 70

TV
Marcia Wolff

???
Raleigh Quinn
Percy Tsu
Zetsu

Post by Zetsu »

Irene laughed, a touch shrill. Hysterical, maybe? Yeah. She was hysterical, alright. It felt good.

She gestured at herself, breathless. "Guess I have you to thank for this. The laugh, I mean. The thing is, I was thinking the same thing about you. Cuz I thought you were looking out for your own survival, so I figured it was only a matter of time before you started killing to make it to the end. But then you went and did...this."

Irene laughed again, shortly this time.

"The thing is, I am a murderer. And I am one step from killing again. The thing is, I'm only killing people who can't have fun. The ones who won't let me have fun. I'm doing whatever I feel like because what does it matter when almost everyone's gonna die and the only question is who? Don't I deserve to spend the rest of my days the way I want to, free from judgment? Fuck, if people would just stop trying to kill each other for a hot second, I'd be able to, like. Actually relax. Do you know how much I can use that? So I think that I'd just, like. Kill whoever 's doing the killing so that the rest of us can stop getting our days ruined. And I thought about killing you because. You were ruining your day. And you didn't seem to care about having fun or making the most of your time. So I thought about killing you because it seemed like you were just gonna go on ruining my day and other people's days."

Irene smiled, her lips cracking.

"Go on. I'm not in the business of killing people who aren't serious about fucking up this island. Killing's too hard for that, you know. Even when they're gonna be dead anyways. Even if they're miserable and all they're gonna do for the rest of their life is make me miserable and make other people miserable. Even then, it's not easy. So I guess I'm saving the guilt for the people who deserve spending it on. That's why I'm not killing you."
Pippi

Post by Pippi »

Roy looked at Irene for a very, very long time.

He didn’t know what to think anymore. Was she really telling the truth? Cause what she was saying sounded a goddamn awful lot like Roy’s train of thought, didn’t it? Do your best to stay as upbeat and chill as possible. Be prepared to kill, but only those who deserved it. Only those who were, as Irene put it, ‘ruining people’s days’.

She was still a murderer. But the sticking point was that he didn’t know whether she’d kill for the sake of killing, or she’d. Y’know. Done what Roy was gonna do.

He thought it over for a little while longer, before he decided that it really, honestly didn’t matter whether she was telling the truth right now. She was letting him walk off scot-free. And in a situation that had looked like a dead-end scenario just a few moments earlier? Well. Gift horses and mouths, and all that crap.

He’d have time to think this over some more in the future, if it turned out she was still killing and she had been lying to him.

“Well, uh, thanks,” Roy muttered. “For not killing me. I’d have been kinda pissed if you had.”

He bent down, and picked up the empty lipstick gun. He’d grown used to its gentle weight in his pocket. It just felt right to hang on to it, now. Something to show the grandchildren, if he ever made it out alive.

“Y’know, I was doing my best to not be a miserable old bastard, even out here on Murder Island, but turns out getting decked in the face by your friend doesn’t leave you with a whole lotta other options.”

A thought, a different thought, struck Roy. He’d finally remembered the name.

“Hey, you ever tried Moxie? Like, the soda? It’s pretty shit. Wouldn’t recommend it.”

Kiss of death nestled in his hand, Roy gave a quick nod at Irene, before turning to leave.

“Maybe if some miracle lets us both get outta here alive we can share one.”
[+] Currently Playing
Programmed To Fight

Those Taken

The Ship - Shades

A CYBER'S WORLD?
Pregame - Nagito Komaeda

SOTF-TV

Virtua-SOTF

Second Chances

The Program v2

TV 2 LADS

Second Chances V2

Program Prologue

The Program V3

Live on your TV now!
MEMORIES - 과부

SANDBOX - 제 눈에 안경이다

Super Dupers
Memories - GROUNDED

Battle Royale... 2!!!
[+] The Future Past
TV Season 68
TV Season 69
Cormac Gamble
TV Season 70

TV
Marcia Wolff

???
Raleigh Quinn
Percy Tsu
Zetsu

Post by Zetsu »

Yeah, she'd figured it was something like that. Turns out that she wasn't the only insane one, huh? Or sane. You know what she means. Turns out most of them were just as insane as she was. Irene didn't know whether to be disappointed or relieved or sad.

So she smiled, she nodded and she said, "Yes". She was happy, for old time's sake. Wouldn't that be something? Her and Roy, just chilling at the end, enjoying--yes, enjoying a drink of something they both hated.

"That sounds...really good actually."

Irene's eyes settled on Roy's bloody nose, his hard, broken, exhausted eyes. There was a story there, and Irene...wanted to hear it, yeah. Seemed like the sort of thing you did in these situations.

"So. Why exactly did you get decked in the face?"
Pippi

Post by Pippi »

He coulda just ignored her. Could’ve kept on walking, and left her standing there, and gone on with surviving out here, on the island.

But he didn’t. He turned back. He studied her face through tired, half-lidded eyes. His hand was back in his pocket now, turning the lipstick gun over and over. It felt comforting. It was something he understood.

But then again, saying he didn’t understand why he stayed would be lying, wouldn’t it? He knew why. He was still here, still standing in front of Irene, still facing the tip of the harpoon.

“It’s like I said. I fucked up,” Roy said. “I spent all my time and effort and goddamn energy in trying to be some sorta protector for Dan and Johnny, and I guess I… forgot they were supposed to be friends, rather than just… people. Rachael vanished, and Johnny wanted to drop everything to look for her and I didn’t see the point. It’s a big island, she was a small girl, this ain’t rocket science.”

Roy sighed, and kicked a loose bit of rubble to one side, a small cloud of dust drifting away in the breeze.

“Johnny didn’t see it that way. So he hit me. So I hit him back. And then we tried to kill each other.”

He smirked.

“It’s a guy thing, you wouldn’t understand.”

The smile dropped again almost as soon as it had appeared.

“I fucked up. Fucked up ever since I woke up, really. And I’m probably gonna keep on fucking up over the next couple days.”

And that was why he was still here. Cause what was he gonna do if he left? Go off and try and beat up KK or Bunny or Saachi with one arm? Find another friend and sit around and mope with them until the inevitable caught up with them?

Christ, he’d come here to kill Irene and instead they were planning to get drinks and having a goddamn conversation instead. Add that to the pile of fuckups, too.

“I’ve been doing what I thought was right, but turns out that shit is real fucking hard.”
[+] Currently Playing
Programmed To Fight

Those Taken

The Ship - Shades

A CYBER'S WORLD?
Pregame - Nagito Komaeda

SOTF-TV

Virtua-SOTF

Second Chances

The Program v2

TV 2 LADS

Second Chances V2

Program Prologue

The Program V3

Live on your TV now!
MEMORIES - 과부

SANDBOX - 제 눈에 안경이다

Super Dupers
Memories - GROUNDED

Battle Royale... 2!!!
[+] The Future Past
TV Season 68
TV Season 69
Cormac Gamble
TV Season 70

TV
Marcia Wolff

???
Raleigh Quinn
Percy Tsu
Zetsu

Post by Zetsu »

"Oh."

Lame reply, right? But Irene was lame and Roy...Roy deserved lame, she guessed. She wasn't sure. She wasn't sure of much anymore. Hell, she wasn't even mad or annoyed anymore.

"I mean, we're here. Doing the right thing is hard. Hell, doing the wrong thing's hard. I thought I was gonna say balls to all that and just do whatever I feel like doing, just try to laugh it off and act like I'm not actually here, but turns out even that's really hard because I can't even figure out what it is I want to do."

Irene sighed. She didn't want to do this but. Did she? It was hard to do, separating the things you wanted to do from the things you thought you wanted to do from the things but didn't from the things you thought you didn't want to do but did. Except there are no wants. All wants are needs, remember? So why was it that Irene didn't want to do what she needed to do?

She knows, of course. She badly wants to let Roy live, to let him go and maybe run into him again, ask him if he'd found any Moxie that they could share. Fuck, that was really the dream, huh? And Irene was supposed to keep on dreaming. Tp chase the dream, even if dreams were dreams.

But other people had dreams too, even if their only dream was for the nightmare to end. Irene had already made that promise, even if it was only to herself, even if she didn't even know she'd done it.

"Fuck, I...I don't know. You're not planning on winning, right? And you're not leaving, even though I asked you to. Though, come to think of it, I don't really want you to. Is it because... do you want to...fuck. If you're gonna just keep fucking up anyways...do you want a break from that?"

"Or is it just that I'm really interesting to talk to?"

Return to “The Quarry”