You Don’t Load a Gun, Close Your Eyes And Shoot

open but let toxie join first

Somewhere between a ship and a waterborne building, this establishment is decorated in Chinese motifs, its roof gilded in gold trim and its walls covered in murals depicting the mythology and history. Inside, the restaurant is much more like a land-based building than it is a ship, with two floors of seating, tiled restrooms, and an expansive kitchen. Large tanks and cages once held live fish and lobsters, allowing the customers to select their dinners fresh, but these currently sit empty.
Wham Yubeesling
Team Affiliation: Stephanie's Buccaneers

You Don’t Load a Gun, Close Your Eyes And Shoot

Post by Wham Yubeesling »

They didn’t leave the restaurant for long, though. They’d split up for a bit, checked the perimeter for any sign of James or Sofia, then had come back here, re-hung the corpse, and decided to spend the night. It felt… not quite narratively appropriate for them to come back to the place Fisk had just ransacked, but there was at least tactical strength in it. It meant that James and Sofia maybe knew where they needed to go to connect back to the group. It meant that they’d be in the one place Chris and Junji were unlikely to return to quickly. It meant that if anyone saw what was right at the front door of the place and tried to investigate, then Fisk and Verity would be in the best position to capitalize. Add more bodies to the gallows at the front door.

Nobody came, though. It’d just been Fisk and Verity the whole night. They’d slept in shifts: one person got to take a break, the other person did occasional patrols to see if James and Sofia were out there. The two didn’t really talk that much, but… it didn’t feel all that lonely to Verity. Meant she didn’t have to think about what she was going to say. Meant that there were no new situations to flood her mind. No more dead people to start staking a claim to the back of her head. It was probably the least horrid night of sleep she’d had here. No fear that someone would come around and cause her to make another mistake. No dead Keegan, no grand plan to fill her thoughts while she contorted herself in a car. It was fine. Shitty, but it wasn’t like she was going to do much better in this place.

The problems came when morning arose. When James and Sofia had still yet to show up. Fisk had gone out shortly after the announcements to do another check of the perimeter, but she’d caught a glance and she knew that moment that they were both fearing the worst. That they weren’t coming back. That they were lost or had quit or were…

And either way, losing the both of them… was a loss. They’d both meant something to Verity. Like, take Sofia. The two of them hadn’t exactly talked much since she joined, but there’d been… promise. The idea that they maybe could’ve had a conversation, gotten to know each other. She gave off that impression, anyway. Ever since she inherited all of Keegan’s shit. Between killing Keegan and fighting Akeno and going on that walk and having to kill Stokes immediately after they never got to have it, though. They’d both been too busy, and now that Verity actually had some free time there was no Sofia around to spend it with. It was usual outside of here that people wouldn’t be available the same time she was but somehow it still happened even when life as she knew it had been completely deconstructed. It was almost funny.

Only almost, though. Because there was also a James. The last time he and Verity had really interacted was at the top of the ferry, right when she’d rushed up there after killing Keegan. They… hadn’t really had much of a conversation, up there — Verity had been too in her head about what she’d just done to think of anything beyond herself — but… he’d given hints that he wasn’t quite like any of the others. That he didn’t enjoy any of this either. That maybe, if this was all getting too much for Verity, she could at least turn to him for comfort. For someone she could maybe actually relate to in this place. It’d made her feel bad when she’d shook him off after the fight with Akeno. When she’d stonewalled him while they were all coming here. She knew she would have to explain afterwards. Tell him that it wasn’t his fault. That it was kinda just… how she was.

But now, one way or the other, she knew she’d never be able to do that. With either of them. James and Sofia were now faces she’d never see again. Threads she’d never be able to follow up on.

She didn’t know how exactly she was going to be able to deal with that.

So she was lucky that someone came into the restaurant before she had to. She was sitting at the top of a flight of stairs when she’d heard footsteps come in. Waited until whoever it was appeared within eyesight to say anything, just in case.

She hadn’t needed to worry, though. That became clear when Fisk appeared at the bottom of the stairs. It was only ever going to be him. It was only him and Verity, at this rate. She didn’t know why she expected any different.

“Nothing?”
ItzToxie

Post by ItzToxie »

“No. Jack shit.”

Fisk stepped into the room, looking up the stairwell at Verity. He sat down against the wall, paint and makeup on his face mostly worn away from sweat except for a few spots of purple and blue.

He didn’t want to say it, but he knew what happened. He got them. Probably Sofia first, and then James. Maybe just James with Sofia drowning. They’ll be left up as trophies soon. Thrown at their doorstep like a squirrel dropped off by the neighborhood cat. An endless cycle.

Ivan kills one of Fisk’s friends, and then Fisk has to kill someone else to show Ivan because Ivan won’t man up and face him himself, no, he has to play up that EC comics Tales From the Crypt slasher movie zombie shit.

Fisk thought he’d be mourn them more, but in the end he came to expect it. There wasn’t hope that they made it, and all he was doing now was preparing to see the outcome, and planning his next move.

“If we find Chris I’m going to flay his fingers one by one.”

It always happened the same way too. Someone else shows up, hurts them a little bit. Ivan capitalizes on it, at the perfect time, every time, despite being nowhere near to see it happen. He just knows.

After the Stephanie shit, he knew exactly why.

“You think if I make it out of this, would I be able to sue the mentors for cheating?”
Catche thinks my squirrel is Fisk so here's my daily reminder that he is not.
Wham Yubeesling

So, uh.

Real talk? Verity… didn’t quite know what Fisk was getting at with that last comment. Maybe it would’ve meant something to one of the other two — some conversation that Verity hadn’t been privy to while she was off killing Alyssa — but to her it was blank. A piece she had to pick up for the sake of contributing her part of the team. Of keeping it together, at least until the other two could maybe come back. Didn’t really know what would happen if the inevitable really was revealed and it was just Verity and Fisk left, but…

But…

But she knew one thing. Verity and Fisk shared the same mentor. If the small talk was regarding mentors at least Verity and Fisk could keep together. In that respect, even if there weren’t many left.

“I think it happens to every team at this point in the season. Like, um, all the mentors going radio silent. Leaving their teams to fend for themselves.”

She had her head tilted up. Was looking roughly in Fisk’s direction, if not into his eyes.

“And they’re so rich about it. Like, I remember Claudia in post-game press going on about how her sucked and kept killing each other, but, like, the Panthers were trying to keep it together. They kept getting spat on but Zoe and Michael were working together and trying to make things work while she’d just completely abandoned them. And now that they’re dead and she’s had several months to keep talking everybody believes she was, like, this super promising mentor and a shoe-in for this season and she was let down by having her team turn on itself.”

She took a breath. Tried to meet Fisk fully.

“Sorry.”

Felt her gaze drop down towards the stairs.

“That… wasn’t what you were talking about, wasn’t it?”
ItzToxie

Post by ItzToxie »

“No, you’re fine.”

Fisk drummed his fingers against the hook.

“So Sofia killed one of her ‘teammates’ because she was with us. Stephanie uhhh... didn’t like that.”

Fisk laughed. It was more somber than ha ha funny.

“While she was in the shop boat, some morons accosted her. Sofia tried to diffuse and Stephanie... got involved.”

He looked up at Verity.

“Now this has been happening for a while, but our first ‘victim’ has been picking us off, one by one, and the perfect time, when we’re at our most vulnerable, every time. He knows where we are, each of our exact locations, and all the routes to get to us, and escape, and leave a gift for us to find later.”

“...Kinda fuckin’ impossible for a half dead corpse with brain damage and one working eye, right?”

“I don’t think Stephanie’s the only one, but... she’s the only one who’s dumb enough to be so blatant about it.”
Applesintime
Team Affiliation: Ben's Crabs

Post by Applesintime »

((Gregory Miller continued from The Worst Kind of Tribute))

He knew that Stokes and her little shop thing wouldn't last long. Survival of the Fittest was about killing people, and as much as Gregory had been enthusiastic about the idea of doing that, it didn't appeal to him so much now that he knew what it was really like. But, man, it sure sucked to see Stokes hanging from the top of the sign with a billion bullet holes in her. Rhonda hadn't been on the announcement, though, which seemed to be a running theme; Season 60 eat your heart out, Season 67 was here to kick the chair from under you. Like, man, were they just too tired to count the people who died or whatever? It hadn't even been that late.

But, he had come here only to find Stokes' dead body, and that sucked. She hadn't been on the announcement either, and her body didn't look fresh, so maybe her killers weren't around. And she had been nice to him, so he wanted to cut her down. Standing to the side of her, out of sight of the voices in the entrance; were they her killers, or just scavengers looking for some of that food Stokes had been selling? Would like, the sound of him cutting her down actually kinda alert them? Maybe he should just, like, leave. But, like, he had two kills. Everyone knew he was a player, and at this part of the game, a lot of people alive were happily playing along. Nobody would hesitate to shoot him.

Tears welled up in his eyes. Fuck, he should have just stayed with Cory and Nate and the rest. But no, he wanted to be famous, he wanted to give the audience a good show. And where did that leave him? With a shitty knife, feeling sorry for himself, standing up and looking at a dead body.

He didn't want to be here anymore. On this stupid flotilla, on this stupid show, he'd rather be back with Sammy and the bees and the blackberry bush that he had that were really tasty. But there were only a few ways to do that, and all but one were either horrible, impossible at this point with how little kills he had, and even then that one was a long shot. Escape. Maybe he could pull that off, but it was like, a real long shot.

Gregory wanted to talk to Ben, but the sound of him talking might draw attention. So he just stood there like a lost lamb, waiting for something to happen.
[+] Current Kids
SOTF U
P011: Charlotte "Charlie" Vandermeyer - Road Flares (x10) + BluRay Copy of John Carpenter's The Thing - is bemoaning the goddamn MREs in Beasts All Over the Shop
[+] Future Kids
Second Chances
Anna Hitchins has some totes cool ideas!

SOTF-TV
John MacMillan Jr. doesn't have much to say.
[+] Past Kids
SOTF International
O06: Deirbhile Callahan - 50 Valentines Cards - "This is my fucking life. It’s mine to live. It’s mine to fucking take, too." She resisted in Slán Abhaile. [24/29]
Intl: 1 2 3

SOTF-TV V3
BC09: Gregory Miller - Bolas - "Why?" He landed in splat. [17/81]
Sandbox: 1
TV3: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

BC04: Anthony Golden - Fake Nautical Mask - The so-called hero. He met his fate in All The World's a Stage. [4/81]
Memories: 1
TV3: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

SOTF Supers
S009: Stephen Sanders - Osteokinesis - "Nobody's going to kill just because furries told us to." He went home. - Kids Like You Should Be Burning in Hell.
Supers: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Aftermath: 1 2
Wham Yubeesling

“It has credence. I don’t think the mentors like us.”

She looked to the side. Put her gaze onto the wall to her left. Turned back to Fisk once she had all the words.

“I remember… the first night. I’d killed Tim and I’d shot Keegan and everything after that it, um, felt like everything I was doing was just an effort to not fuck up and make everything worse. Get people killed because, like, that was who I was always meant to be. I went up to the Banquet Hall and I saw one of the teammates dead and… that sparked something. I kind of dropped down and freaked and let everything out to Shiva just then. How… I felt everything was hopeless and that I was only delaying the inevitable by staying alive and Shiva… made the effort to talk to me. Told me that I had a chance, if I found my teammates and found the strength to keep it together. It… really helped. It made me think that maybe I could keep going forward. It, um, made me confident. Enough to… try and join you guys.”

Breath. Pause. Reset. A bit for the dramatic, a bit so that Verity’s throat didn’t tire out and lose the ability to speak.

“And then I join the team I want to join and the first thing he says to me is that I’m being dumb and I should bail at the first opportunity.”

Pause. Sigh.

“He hasn’t said anything to me since.”
ItzToxie

Post by ItzToxie »

“You know, if we actually had made it to the end, I think they’d have let us go. I honestly think the mentors were scared.”

He smiled.

“Changes could’ve been made. My friends could’ve made it home. But y’know...”

“Some washups, has-beens, and opportunists who can’t handle the fact their victories were just luck couldn’t take being made irrelevant.”

“Shiva... those voices on the collars, they never cared about you, you know that right? If you won on their terms, they’d make your victory theirs.”

“Like you didn’t earn it through your work.”
Applesintime
Team Affiliation: Ben's Crabs

Post by Applesintime »

Right. This was uh, Fisk, right? He had sorta heard him talking in school, bumped into him once or twice and honestly he wasn't hard to make out. With the scar, and the weird hair and, uh, everything really. He was sorta a weird guy. And now he was a player, and he was complaining that the mentors were scared of him or something, and like, if Gregory met Fisk in a dark Miami alleyway he'd probably be scared too. But then he was complaining about all the mentors, which seemed like what Sammy would call 'some kid bitchin' that life ain't handed to him on a silver platter'.

There wasn't much for him here, and so Gregory turned to leave, but then he noticed a blood trail, leading to a broken window in the restaurant. Peering inside, he saw a hell of a lot of blood, but, like, not much else. Even still, something inside him wanted to try and climb through the window. It was stupid. He didn't need food or anything like that. But then an idea came to him, and so he reached into his pocket and pulled out his trusty Kenny Yamana Egg Timer. He could like, distract the two inside, saw down Stokes' body, and then make a run for it. Maybe they'd just put it back up again or something, but he could say he tried. He could say it was the first good action he had done here. Something that wasn't for himself.

Twisting the timer part, he set it to three minutes, and tossed it in through the window. From there, he returned to behind the main door, listening to the pair talk, waiting for the timer to go off, clutching his knife in his hand.
[+] Current Kids
SOTF U
P011: Charlotte "Charlie" Vandermeyer - Road Flares (x10) + BluRay Copy of John Carpenter's The Thing - is bemoaning the goddamn MREs in Beasts All Over the Shop
[+] Future Kids
Second Chances
Anna Hitchins has some totes cool ideas!

SOTF-TV
John MacMillan Jr. doesn't have much to say.
[+] Past Kids
SOTF International
O06: Deirbhile Callahan - 50 Valentines Cards - "This is my fucking life. It’s mine to live. It’s mine to fucking take, too." She resisted in Slán Abhaile. [24/29]
Intl: 1 2 3

SOTF-TV V3
BC09: Gregory Miller - Bolas - "Why?" He landed in splat. [17/81]
TV3: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

BC04: Anthony Golden - Fake Nautical Mask - The so-called hero. He met his fate in All The World's a Stage. [4/81]
Memories: 1
TV3: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

SOTF Supers
S009: Stephen Sanders - Osteokinesis - "Nobody's going to kill just because furries told us to." He went home. - Kids Like You Should Be Burning in Hell.
Supers: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Aftermath: 1 2
Wham Yubeesling

She didn’t really want to think about whether Shiva had been legitimate or not, that first night. Whether he was lying when he said that she had a chance. Whether he really was just the motivational speaker stereotype she thought he’d be when he first showed up on the screen.

So she didn’t. She just sat there, for a second. Listened to the blank noise of the restaurant. To the Flotilla. To the last part of Fisk’s statement, isolated from the rest.

“Yeah, right.” She said. “Like, what, sixty four people won this game before any of them came in? It’s not like… it’s not like someone wasn’t going to win this game without their presence anyway.”

She looked down again.

“Not like I was going to live through this either way.”
ItzToxie

Post by ItzToxie »

"...Guess I wasn't the only one with that idea."
Wham Yubeesling

She took a breath.

Held it in.

Stayed there, for a second, before letting it out.

“I guess at this point we’re going to have to accept it. That it’s… us. Just us left.”
ItzToxie

Post by ItzToxie »

"Not just us." There was malice in Fisk's voice.

"Ivan. Akeno. Rhonda. Chris and Junji now. Every little shit that has played a part in denying me of my goals..." His hands clenched, and unclenched. "With everyone I've cared about gone, I've lost."

There was silence. Then a breath. Then another one, shakey. Fisk's chest rattled.

"I won't deny it. I've already lost. All of this, everything I've done, it's... It's been made moot. It's all gone."

Pink eyed, he glanced up at Verity.

"Wanna know something more dangerous than somebody with nothing to live for?"
Wham Yubeesling

She thought about it for a second.

“Sure.”
ItzToxie

Post by ItzToxie »

"I have a confession to make."

"When I woke up here, I knew what I was going to do, and I knew who I'd do it with. I had everything planned down to the minute detail."

"I had our meetup spots, and our back up locations, and the back ups to the back ups. I had a list of who'd be dangerous and who'd be easy targets. I had marked locations for prime ambushes, choke points, killzones and fortresses. I had a plan for how we'd kill, our first one we'd all take part, and leave them just barely alive to pass on their own. We'd all get credit from the beginning. We'd leave them up for everyone to find."

"People were supposed to know who we were. Then, we'd lay low, kill anyone who'd intrude on our locations, and disappear to another. Rinse and repeat. Leave their bodies as is."

"Anyone who fought back or hurt one of us? An example for the others. You'd be smart not to mess with the group who'd turn you into a hood ornament. It's not like you weren't going to be a statistic anyways."

"Anyways. We'd do this. Make it to the end. Just us. Not even let someone get a ten kill. It was just going to be us and only us."

"They'd make us kill each other. This I know. But we'd refuse. And I know we'd would. That left two options."

"The truth is that in the end, it's not the producers with the power, nor the mentors, nor the viewers, but the contestants themselves. WE have the power, we make the show exciting, we give people something to watch. We choose who lives, who dies, how the story goes."

"Producers deny it, then we just... wait it out. All the bombastic moments, fights for life and death, all the character moments, one hundred something lives cut short, for nothing. More importantly than that, six lives that meant something were cut short. Real shitty ending right? Why ratings would plummet into the dirt harder than some modern day remake of an 80's cartoon meant to advertise toys turned into a tool to push a political agenda. People would lose faith, the producers would have to try something different. And it would all be because of six people who valued each other more than some... game."

"Or they'd grow aware, and let us go. If we all didn't make it, I doubted it would get that far. But... I had a backup plan for that too. If without a doubt that there were no chance, that I could take my friends home with me, then... I'd let them go."

"As beautiful as it would be to make a point of dying together, I wouldn't force my friends to die for my sake. If they wanted to live, I'd let them. I'd walk off into a DZ, and that is that."

"I have another confession to make."

"With the exception of those five individuals whom are no longer with us, I HATE everyone here. I always have. There's nothing genuine about any of them, they're all so fake, they're all so about themselves. Blissfully unaware of anything but their own being. Barely even sentient. Even outside our school, I hold this point of view for most people. For the 99 point nine nine percent of humanity. They mean nothing to me because they barely mean nothing to themselves. A perpetual loop of self indulged narcissism unable to feel anything for anyone besides themselves."

"But they get so offended when you point that out to them. They talk of rights and wrongs, but those words mean nothing except convenience to them. They talk of sacrifice, of purpose, but none of them would ever understand the feeling of those words outside of words on a dictionary. Don't believe me, look at Chris and Junji. Left their friend behind. Look at Akeno, using her friends as shields every time she comes to attack us. Rhonda shot her own friend just to get a chance of hitting Giselle. Ivan sent Seth after us when he was recuperating, knowing he couldn't handle us on his own."

"Yet they blame me for killing their friends when they fed them to me."

"If given the choice, I'd put myself on the cross for my friends to go home. I'd do you one better and I'd make everyone climb aboard with me. All seven point seven billion of us, just for five people to go home. It'd be a fair trade."

"Now I can't do that. All because some people wanted to be spiteful, play crabs in a bucket. They knew they were doomed, so they dragged us down to their level. That's fine by me now, I can play that way too."

"Wanna know the most dangerous thing in the world? It's not a man with nothing to live for."

"It's a man with nothing to die for."
Wham Yubeesling

She kept eye contact with Fisk as Fisk kept speaking. Didn’t say anything, initially, when all fell to silence again. Her head turned to her left, looked at the wall again, and kept quiet, until:

“I guess…”

She took a breath.

“I guess this is the part where I admit my plan originally was to betray you all.”

Return to “Floating Restaurant (Danger Zone)”