Sink or Swim

Private

A large, paddlewheel ferry is the second-largest ship in the flotilla, and like the cruise ship it features several points of egress. The lower deck still rests above the waterline, and was primarily designed for mass transport of passengers and vehicles. It features rows and rows of benches, lightly padded, as well as wider-open spots for cars. Indeed, the rusting hulks of half a dozen 1950s automobiles fill some of these spots, providing cover and hiding places. Further cover is offered by staircases to the upper deck, by walls, and by a small control room and pair of bathrooms.
Courtography

Post by Courtography »

Sergio had her. He was doing what he was meant to.

Being able to land another impact was going to happen.

Then it didn't.

The impact to his torso meant less than the crack he heard and the sensation of falling through air.

He shut his eyes.
Fenrir
Team Affiliation: Emmy's Selkies

Post by Fenrir »

Sergio was gone. Not the way she’d intended, not the way she’d expected, but he was removed from the picture for the time being.

That was good, one less thing to worry about. Several less things actually. Her first real fight in SOTF, her first real fight not on a padded mat and she’d held her own. Not without pain, not without stumbles, but she’d managed it. She’d always wondered if she was capable, if her black belt would actually mean anything when it came down to it when so many people had failed before her. Now she had proof.

It felt… good, maybe? Reassuring? It felt something.

How long had her heart been beating this fast?

The only problem was that she’d wanted to take him down on the ferry, not push him overboard; unless he drowned down there she wouldn’t get any credit. She could have gotten two towards her ten, but now there was just…

Akeno turned to face Maxine.

She began to walk towards her.
[+] Supers
SS33: Andrew Martin - The sound of silence
Gift: Hush
[+] TV3
MM02: Sarah Lillian Whitlock - Is anybody out there?
Weapon - WASP Injection Knife
Team - Malcolm's Mariners
Current Location - There's a Fire in the Sky That Only I Can See
Memory Location - Close encounters

ES10: Akeno Kudo - Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Weapon - Wire Garotte
Team - Emmy's Selkies
Current Location - Upset
Memory Location - Coulomb's Law

Relationship Thread
[+] INTL
O28: Zander Lin - Don't you know who I am?
Weapon - None
The Honeless Beard

Post by The Honeless Beard »

"Wait," Max said, in time with the footfalls.

"Wait, Akeno, we can - hold on. Just calm the fuck down, okay? We didn't mean to scare you back on the other boat, we just..." she said, as the steps kept approaching, Akeno's face determined, drawn in.

"Akeno," she whimpered, rolling onto her stomach and beginning to pull herself forwards with her arms, when the other girl wouldn't stop, "please, Akeno,"
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

She was already calm. Actually no, not really, but she wasn’t angry either.

This wasn’t about what had happened on the boat earlier, it wasn’t about them; this was decided before either Sergio or Maxine had shown up and it was just a coincidence that it was them that this was happening to.

Akeno didn’t say any of this as she approached Maxine’s prone form. There was no point to talking things out, the same way there was no point responding to Sergio’s taunts earlier. This wasn’t about that, not about emotions.

This was just… just what she’d decided to do to get through this show.

There was a moment’s hesitation as Akeno stood over Maxine, as the other girl whimpered and tried to crawl away; a brief pause before she reached into her pocket and pulled out the thin length of wire and fit her index fingers through the loops at each end.

When she moved she moved quickly, dropping down and placing a knee in between Maxine’s shoulders to hold the girl down, hold her in place as Akeno slipped the length of wire under her chin. Akeno pulled the wire back so that it pressed against the skin of Maxine’s neck, against her throat.

She crossed her arms, left hand moving to the right and right hand moving to the left as she wrapped the garrotte around and began to pull it tight.
[+] Supers
[+] TV3

Weapon - Wire Garotte
Team - Emmy's Selkies
Current Location - Upset

Relationship Thread
[+] INTL
Weapon - None
The Honeless Beard

The sound Maxine emitted was a car failing to start, a belt ripped raw, the sound of a chainsaw choking and failing as it strained from her vocal chords. Breathing through a narrowing tube into suddenly starving lungs, she reacted as a wounded animal would - one hand flying up to grip at Akeno's wrist, the other reaching backwards, swiping blindly with blunted nails, unable to find any purchase with the knee at her back.

Another failed car starting, a ragged gasp, and she pulled her head backwards sharply, gaining enough air to-

Have you ever considered what your last breath would be used on? Saying goodbye to loved ones, an important, world shaking revelation? If one subscribes to the limited breath theory, we only have a finite number. Focus on your breathing, right now. Is it easy? Is it natural? Thoughtless? How many breaths do you have left in the year? In the day? How many breaths do you have for the rest of the minute?

Max's last full breath was used on something pedestrian, cliche. It was used on something that, had she been informed prior, would've disappointed her.

Max let out a bloodcurdling scream.
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

Akeno pulled her wrist away from Maxine’s grabbing hand and ignored the other hand batting at her arm and side. She leaned forward to press her weight down on the girl she was pinning, knee digging in deeper so she’d stop thrashing so much. She strained her arms to keep the garrotte tight around Maxine’s neck, even as the other girl tried her best to break free or throw her off.

It wasn’t supposed to be this hard. Akeno could see the wire biting in to the skin at the side of the girl’s neck, choking her, even drawing blood as the thin metal began to cut through. But still she fought and screamed, prolonging things, making it difficult. Maybe she’d done it wrong? This wasn’t happening the way she’d expected it to; was the wire tight enough? She couldn’t pull any harder with her arms crossed over like this; her own body was getting in the way.

She moved to switch hands, leaning back and away from Maxine’s grasp and she slipped her fingers free from the garrotte so she could swap which hand held which end. The wire slackened as she did this but she kept Maxine in place with her weight on her back.

The screaming continued.

“I’m sorry!” Akeno fumbled the ends of the garrotte, smooth metal from in between of sweaty fingers before she finally repositioned herself. Now she could tighten the wire by pulling out or back, instead of having to cross her hands over each other. “I’m sorry. I’ll end it now.”

The wire went taut again, squeezing tighter around Maxine’s neck as Akeno strained her arms and pulled as hard as she could.
[+] Supers
[+] TV3

Weapon - Wire Garotte
Team - Emmy's Selkies
Current Location - Upset

Relationship Thread
[+] INTL
Weapon - None
The Honeless Beard

Feet kicking uselessly at the floor, toenails chipping with the force of the blow as she writhed and bucked. The girl's weight was too much - she was too much - and Maxine felt herself spinning, fading, letting a keening whine, a balloon letting out air as she felt her face heat, a rainbow in red fading to blue.

That retching, car starting sound again, splitting the air in the face of Akeno's apologies. That sound on repeat - a grinding of throat muscles against oxygen, a collapsing of lungs. Rivulets of blood running down her neck, pooling at her collarbone, staining her shirt.

Maxine's eyes rolled, the rainbow on the blue side now, her fingernails digging in hard against the floor of the ferry, struggling for purchase as she gave a final, violent jerk.

When she blacked out, she thought of nothing.
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

The struggling stopped, but Akeno didn’t let up just yet. The fact she’d gone still just meant Maxine had passed out but it would still take a little while before she died. That was right, wasn’t it? She’d heard something like that, even seen it in previous seasons; a wannabe player choking someone out, only to let go too soon and end up surprised when their victim woke up later on.

The pool of blood from the trickle at Maxine’s neck was still growing slowly. The skin of her cheeks was blue and her eyes were both unfocused and bloodshot.

Akeno held the wire tight for a little while longer.

MM12: Maxine Schwimmer – Deceased

Her arms were getting tired.

She held it a little longer.
[+] Supers
[+] TV3

Weapon - Wire Garotte
Team - Emmy's Selkies
Current Location - Upset

Relationship Thread
[+] INTL
Weapon - None
Courtography

Post by Courtography »

Adding saltwater to where he had bit his tongue was a recipe for agony. It was also a handy way to get him to shoot up to the service with a variety of curses surfacing just as he did. His hands tried to reach up the side of the ferry. It was too tall. He couldn't pull himself back in.

Fuck.

After a short swim to the nearest jetty he was back on dry dock. The important thing was that he needed to get back in there and kick some ass. Max would kill him if he didn't have her back. He picked up his pace running back. His clothes and pack seemed heavier before and the feeling of wet socks and shoes grossed him out. If this wasn't such an important situation he would have definitely taken them off.

"I'm back," he yelled as he made his way onto the ferry. Maybe Akeno would back off if she knew she'd have to fight both of them.
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

Akeno finally let go of the wire.

She stood up and to her surprise it was a slow process, ponderous. Her body felt strangely heavy, her arms especially felt leaden, like the act of choking Maxine had drained her far more than the fight preceding it. Pulling the wire tight for so long, while the person beneath tried to buck her off was more intensive than she’d expected. Another thing to consider going forward.

A lot of things had been different than she’d expected so far. She had a lot to think about; things to reconsider.

A voice from the other end of the ferry had her spinning around. There wasn’t anyone there, not yet, but they must have been on the way. It was Sergio most likely, or maybe someone else. Either way Akeno didn’t feel like getting into another fight right now.

If she left now she’d be giving up on a chance to get another kill, but she’d be running the risk of ended up dead herself if she stayed. Sergio wasn’t someone she could guarantee she would win against at the best of times, let alone the way she was now. She would leave.

Her bag had been discarded at the start of the fight, somewhere behind her, where the voice was coming from. Maxine’s bag was right there in front of her. Akeno would be giving up the remainder of her costume and spare clothing that fit, but the rest of the contents should have been the same; food, water and a weapon were all she really needed.

Akeno pulled the backpack from Maxine’s body, extracting her arms from the straps, and headed towards the opposite end of the ferry.

ES10: AKENO KUDO CONTINUED IN I've Passed the Point of no Return
[+] Supers
[+] TV3

Weapon - Wire Garotte
Team - Emmy's Selkies
Current Location - Upset

Relationship Thread
[+] INTL
Weapon - None
Wham Yubeesling
Team Affiliation: Stephanie's Buccaneers

Post by Wham Yubeesling »

A voice comes out of Sergio's collar.

"Okay, I, um, feel like I should preempt this but I don't really know how to say it without...
okay, no, no, you can do this, Steph. Okay. There's... good news and bad news. The good is that you're safe to go back there. Nobody's there anymore. The bad is that...

There is the sound of a very heavy breath.

"The bad news is that Max is dead. I know... you probably don't want to hear this, but I figured that it was better for you to find about it this way rather than by seeing... seeing what she looks like up there. I know there's not really a lot I can say, but..."

Silence.
Courtography

Post by Courtography »

"The fuck do you know," he responded without much thought.

It couldn't be true. Max was tough. Things couldn't have ended in the few minutes he was gone. There was no way.

Sergio continued onto the ferry. His footsteps started strong and confident, but then became lighter and more hesitant.

He was looking down at a corpse.

It wasn't Akeno.

"Huh."

Her eyes bugged out in her skull. There was a pool of blood. He had stepped in it. The metallic scent was assaulting his nostrils. His stomach lurched uncomfortably and he gagged.

He didn't move for a minute. He didn't know where to go from here. They had a plan and now there wasn't one.

Sergio was alone. He had only been alone for about half an hour before running into Max and now he was alone again.

Sergio turned around and walked away, leaving some bloody shoeprints. He reached down and picked up Akeno's bag. His arm didn't feel connected to him, like he was watching it on his phone.

He kept walking, and soon looked up at the afternoon sun.

(Sergio Gallo continued in Time Out)

Return to “Ferry: Lower Deck (Danger Zone)”