Mother Bird

The Lost Children go into the Urban Jungle

Find posts from the Version 2 sandbox of the Program here.
Laurels

Mother Bird

Post by Laurels »

((Louisa Bloom continued from Melodies in the Sports Field))

Louisa waited at the stoplight, staring at the red light hanging above the street. She quickly brushed some of her hair behind the ear.

Okay light, the others are waiting, so please change soon.

Louisa wondered why she was getting so antsy about the light. Most time she went bike riding through the city, she took in the sites around her and tired to get inspiration from the people who walked through Urban Milwaukee. Then again, she was meeting her friends somewhere, so she couldn't leave them hanging.

The light changed and Louisa began peddling. She continued to follow Wisconsin Avenue until she crossed the bridge over the Milwaukee River. She quickly turned onto the River Walkway and began to slow down. There were quite a bit of people in the area, so it would be dangerous to ride really fast through the crowds.

Louisa came to a stop and hopped off the bike. She removed her helmet and put it in the basket behind the seat. She then pushed the bike near a bronze statue of a duck and sat on a nearby bench. The duck was named Gertie. She was known for keeping a nest safe under a bridge and became a popular sight for Milwaukee residents. A statue of her was put in the area, and was a cute little spot for tourists to visit.

What mattered was that Louisa was planning on meeting the other members of The Lost Children here. She had been friends with Tori Gavlik and Maxim Senders for years, and once dubbed the three of them as The Lost Children. To her, the three were very uncertain about their place in the world, and combined with their mutual interests in wandering and writing, it seemed like a good name for the three, at least for the three of them to use.

From the looks of it, Louisa was the first to arrive. The three were supposed to walk around the area and take in the sights and sounds. Looks like she would be waiting for them to show up.

Well, nothing to do but write.

Louisa opened the satchel around her shoulder and pulled out a small Moleskine journal and pen. She flipped to a blank page and began to free write.

Inspire me, Gertie.

Mother.
What a burden to be called "Mother".
To have a job that can end in flames.
Why would anyone want to be a mother?

You're own safety is forfeit,
their's is paramount.
Their needs must come first, and regardless,
will always be brought to sweet ole' Mother.

But there is power in this role.
They need you, rely on you.
To fail them is to kill them.
Is this why some choose to be a mother?

Creation and control?
To mold a robot from clay?
Or is it so that someone, anyone,
will be there when you need the help of a mother?

Mother.
What madness to be a mother.
It can't be all that bad.
Why else would I have been made by Mother?

Louisa stared at the poem in her journal.

Wow, I'm cynical today. This could definitely use some revising.

Louisa began to write some more in her journal, hoping that Tori or Maxim would show up soon.
G014: Mayumi Tendou
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2
Brigid Paxton: Deceased
Louisa Bloom: Deceased

Program V3 Prologue
Rodney Vasicek: Escaped
Ambrose Lexington: Deceased
Helena Christensen: Deceased

Program V3
Philippa "Pippa" Andolini: Deceased
Nastasia "Nastya" Zharkova: Deceased

TV:

TV2
Asa Rosen: Deceased
Taylor DeVasher: Deceased

TV3
Dale Hawthorne: Deceased
Shoshanna Kowalczyk: Deceased

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1
Paige Strand: Deceased
Amber Whimsy: Deceased

Second Chances V2
Sophie McDowell: Deceased
Aster
Team Affiliation: Ben's Crabs

Post by Aster »

Gertie the Duck? The first thing that came to Tori's mind was the children's book they had lying around the house. It was about a duck, and apparently it was a true story. Why a duck would build a nest right, well, under the freaking bridge was a complete mystery to Tori, and she mused on it as she was sitting in the family van in a pancake house's parking lot.

Hmm, maybe the duck liked wood? Nah. It was probably the only shelter the duck could find, floating up a river like that. But why did it stop at that pile? Why not, like, another place. Oh, maybe it was going to lay its eggs RIGHT THEN AND THERE, and she just HAD to do it! Wait, do ducks get those urges? I'm going to have to look that u-wait! Louisa and Maxim, at the statue. Yeah.

Tori hopped out of the van and bolted down the city streets, praying that she wasn't late thanks to her minute-long zone out. As she ran down the street, and accidentally bumping into several people, she heard some people muter about 'those damn minorities', but now wasn't the time for yelling something equally rude back. She could do that later, if she could ever find them again.

She thanked her lucky stars as she immediately saw a redhead girl sitting on a bench writing, apparently alone. Well, at least Tori wasn't late.

"Phew," Tori gasped as she sat down next to Louisa. "I ran 2 city blocks to get here. Because, y'know, you can't drive a van onto a walkway." Tori grinned at her last remark and leaned back, glancing over at the statue. "Do you know where Maxim is?"
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Well, if I can't salvage this poem, I could at least try to build off it somehow. Perhaps I try to use the themes of motherhood, societal expectations, and dependency to make an improved poem. Yeah, that might be a good idea. There are some good lines though. "To fail them is to kill them" and "Mold a robot from clay" can be used in other poems. I best mark those down.

That's when Louisa noticed someone sit next to her. She looked up from her journal and saw that it was her friend Tori. Louisa smiled as Tori began to explain why it took her a while to get there.

"Hey, I had to ride a bike all the way from home to get here, don't feel bad," Louisa said.

That's when Tori asked about Maxim.

"I don't know," Louisa said. "I haven't seen him yet. Let me check my phone."

Louisa pulled her cell phone out of her satchel and checked it.

"Oh, hey, a text."

She read the message on her phone.

"Well, looks like Maxim is going to be a bit late. He said we could start moving down Wisconsin Avenue and he would try to meet us by Lake Michigan."

Louisa began to put her things away in her satchel.

"So, how are you today? Are you excited to wander the area?"
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2

Program V3 Prologue

Program V3

TV:

TV2

TV3

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1

Second Chances V2
Aster

Post by Aster »

"At least riding a bike doesn't require that much energy. You don't accidentally knock over people with a bike." Tori replied casually. While Louisa checked her phone, Tori checked out the statue. It wasn't that impressive, just a 4 foot bronze statue of, well, a duck. It apparently was worth about $4,000, and Tori mused on why the price was so damn high for about 5 seconds before Louisa cut in.

"Well, looks like Maxim is going to be a bit late. He said we could start moving down Wisconsin Avenue and he would try to meet us by Lake Michigan. So, how are you today? Are you excited to wander the area?"

Well, look who's the late one! She couldn't blame Maxim, as he actually had legal hobbies that needed classes. Dakota had teased her about her hobbies as a child, and Tori questioned her sexuality in return. It turned out that Dakota was a lesbian, and then...

...wait, oh. Yeah, the question. "Well, fudge yeah. I love walking, especially near water. It's fun to watch stuff float. It calms me."

Tori stood up and walked back towards the bridge, turning around about 10 feet away. "Hey, you said we could go. Let's skedaddle."
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Tori was excited to wander the area. Louisa was glad to see how happy her friend was. She never considered wandering around the city until Tori taught her all the interesting perspectives that could be found from aimless walking. Louisa found it helped to write about themes like purpose, conformity, decay, and more. She began to enjoy these outings with Tori more and more as they got older.

Tori was already getting far ahead of Louisa when she realized that she needed to catch up.

"Oh, wait for me!"

Louisa got up and began to move towards Tori, pushing her bike with her.

"Alright, let's head over to the lake. I bet it looks really pretty today. I don't see many clouds in the sky, so the water will probably be really calm and blue."

Oh wow, that's so beautiful. The visual is astounding me.

Louisa caught up to Tori and directed her back towards Wisconsin Avenue.

"Well, let's go. Let's see what we discover along the way there."
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2

Program V3 Prologue

Program V3

TV:

TV2

TV3

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1

Second Chances V2
Aster

Post by Aster »

"Oh, yes, It'll probably be beautiful at Lake Michigan." Tori replied, putting a little too much emphasis on 'beautiful'. Tori took long strides that allowed her to easily overpass Louisa, and she turned back to warn Louisa about something.

"Oh, as you may know, I phase out a lot, especially while walking. So if you could please drag me along if I stop." Louisa had been her friend since they were little kids, but Tori always felt that Louisa should know. As she trudged along, she slowly began to ignore her surroundings. Soon, she was day dreaming.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

"Tori, if you get too phased out to walk, I will toss you into the basket of my bike and ride the rest of the way to Lake Michigan," Louisa said.

She quickly scanned her friend and then looked at her bike's basket.

"Yeah, you should fit. Haha."

She patted Tori on the back, and the two were back on Wisconsin Avenue heading towards the lake.

"So Tori, what exactly do you think makes you space out when walking around?" Louisa asked. "I mean, these walks make me think of various themes and ideas to write about. That piece of trash there makes me think of waste. Those cars make me think of distance."

Louisa stared closely at her friend.

"What exactly goes through Victoria Gavlik's mind in the city?"
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2

Program V3 Prologue

Program V3

TV:

TV2

TV3

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1

Second Chances V2
Aster

Post by Aster »

"Wow, it's kinda amazing how everybody has a story, but you don't know about them. What if everybody else is a robot, and the world as you know it is a test? Oh, and when you realize the truth, you fail, and the robots kill you?" Tori said in a dazed tone to no one in particular. She eventually dipped back into her daydream, with an entirely different plot.

---

Suddenly, Louisa's eyes grew red. Before Tori could react, Louisa shot a laser at her, and Tori narrowly missed it. It hit the fire hydrant next to them, and it exploded in a spectacular display of water. The people on the street turned to her, eyes glowing red. They lunged, some of them jumping out of buildings. A few giant robots were knocking over buildings in the corner, and a horde was just around the corner.

Tori quickly whipped out a Kryptonite sword from thin air, and was suddenly filled with adrenaline. With this new found courage, she yelled and lunged at the crowd.

---

Back in reality, Tori was shuffling behind Louisa, gazing into space. She was slowing down, and suddenly stopped altogether.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Louisa hoped she could get an intellectual response from Tori. She hoped that her friend would provide an answer to her way of thinking that could shed light on the meaning of their wanderings. Instead, she got a diatribe on robots.

Louisa listened as Tori questioned a reality where everyone is a robot testing one particular individual and realizing this means you die.

Hmm, I should write a poem about that. That might be a poem that goes in the secret chest.

"So that's what goes on in your head. I didn't know you thought like that. Tori?"

Louisa then realized that Tori fell behind her. She turned around and saw Tori standing and gazing absentmindedly. She quickly moved back and began to shake Tori's shoulder.

"Hey, come on, snap out of it. Don't worry, I'm not a robot."

Louisa stopped shaking Tori.

"So, what is it about robots that gets you in this trance? Is it the feeling of living for a single purpose? The idea of having no real control of your own livelihood?
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2

Program V3 Prologue

Program V3

TV:

TV2

TV3

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1

Second Chances V2
Aster

Post by Aster »

Tori manage to take out a sizable chunk of the mob, but they just kept coming. They came in cars, jumping out of multiple story buildings, and some came out of Lake Michigan. Tori was trapped in a sea of red eyes, and the situation was worsening.

First, her sword broke, complete with the Minecraft break sound. Next, a few cars were coming her way, and one of them rammed her in slow motion. A voice in her head said "So that's what goes on in your head. I didn't know you thought like that. Tori?" The voice sounded otherworldly, and it was soon followed with an earthquake and "Hey, come on, snap out of it. Don't worry, I'm not a robot."

---

Tori snapped out of it. Louisa was shaking her in the middle of the street, asking her about her daydreams.

"Oh, er, it isn't usually that morbid, but I think about whatever comes to mind. Most of it concerns our life not being real, because I love life and it would be depressing to realize all these aspects of life I love, my friends, family and adventure, aren't really real." Tori responded, trying to walk again. "Hey, let's get going before Maxim gets there. He might think that we ditched him."
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Tori snapped out of her funk and quickly explained herself, mostly her fear of her reality not being real.

"Yeah, it is weird to think that everything is completely meaningless," Louisa replied. "Makes you wonder what would be the grand purpose. If the world revolved around some person in Louisiana, what's the point of our personal existence?"

Tori then asked to get moving again.

"Yeah, we can't let Maxim wait on us. So, let's ignore any weird hallucinations of robots and keep going."

Louisa began to push her bike and move down the street.

"Although, I think it would be neat to write about a robot," said Louisa. "You know, sort of like WALL-E. I think there are some neat things to write about with automatons. Don't you think so?"
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2

Program V3 Prologue

Program V3

TV:

TV2

TV3

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1

Second Chances V2
Aster

Post by Aster »

As they got moving, Louisa then questioned their purpose if somebody in Louisiana was the test subject. "Well, then we only materialize when we meet him. Any robot that isn't around him might as well not exist." She explained. They strolled down the street and eventually arrived at Lake Michigan.

"Wow, it IS pretty today." Tori remarked. It was true, as the water was a beautiful shade of blue and it reflected the sunshine in a pretty way. Tori sat down on a bench and marveled the sight.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Louisa listened as Tori offered her point of view on the Louisiana Man. Before she knew it, they were at the lake.

"Yeah, it is great to see such a site today," Louisa exclaimed. "It's great to get out and look at nature. I mean, we aren't out of the city, but the Lake feels like an oasis."

Louisa sat down on the bench next to Tori, laying her bike next to them. She opened her satchel and pulled out her Moleskine.

"I hope you don't mind, but I feel like writing about some of the stuff we discussed coming here. There's a lot to be gained from this."

Louisa began to write in her journal. The phrases "Robot world", "Louisiana Man", and "Urban Oasis" were penned on the page next to the Mother poem.

"So anyways, what's going on with you?"
[+] Former Characters

Program:

Program V2

Program V3 Prologue

Program V3

TV:

TV2

TV3

Second Chances:

Second Chances V1

Second Chances V2
jimmydalad

Post by jimmydalad »

((Maxim Senders continued from It's An Inky Dinky Doo Da Morning))

Maxim had been waiting at Lake Michigan, looking over the waters. He had texted Louisa about being late due to the fact he wanted some time to prepare himself. A lot had happened that past week and throughout it all, he wanted to personally tell them himself. The problem was that he had very little time to talk to them due to school commitments and after school activities. He texted Louisa because he personally felt that she was more reliable than Tori. Maxim knew Tori had the tendency to space out and may have done something like leave her phone at home by complete accident. It wouldn't of surprised him if that did happen.

At that moment, he was deep in thought about a whole bunch of things. He thought about his parents or more specifically his mom. She was still considering going on her years of service and that thought made Maxim a little fearful. There always was the risk of people losing their lives while in the army and he sincerely hoped that he wouldn't lose his mother to the war. It was odd how he didn't know much about why they were fighting in the first place. He really should do more research on that. Or ask Felicia. She was good with that political stuff.

Another thing the thought about was the whole gay issue. After getting home from school that day, Maxim came out to his parents. He was surprised with how cool they were with it as he had been expecting them to freak out. Although he was glad they were cool with it, Maxim wished his school was like them. He had been at the receiving end of some gay bashing throughout the past week when he was alone, but he had succeeded in shrugging it off for now. It still got to him though and he could only really release his emotions at home. That caused his parents to worry.

At this point, he wasn't sure whether Louisa and Tori knew about what happened on Tuesday. Though it was safe to assume that they found out via the grapevine, he wasn't sure that the grapevine reached them yet. Being busy with school and after school activites, Maxim didn't really have a lot of time to talk to the two of them. He hadn't told them directly about his coming out and he wasn't sure how they would react when they did find out. Would they still want to be friends?

At the sound of familiar voices, Maxim snapped out of his funk and turned his attention towards the source of the voices. He saw the approaching figures of Louisa and Tori. At that moment, he gulped and took a few deep breaths. It was now or never.

"Hey there!" Maxim called out to the two figures as he walked towards them, waving at the two of them and trying his best to smile. They had a right to know. After all, they were his closest friends.

"I thought you guys would get here sooner, but Tori must have spaced out or something like that." Maxim teased lightly, lying through his teeth. While trying his best to keep on smiling, Maxim's smile looked forced. So much was going on in his mind right now that it was making it hard for him to keep focused on things such as school work. Well, harder than usual.

Maxim paused for a while, trying to come up with a way to start the topic with them. Should he play it casual or just say it flat out? He honestly didn't know which was the better approach and his smile faded momentarily as he began to gather his thoughts.

"I guess you heard about what happened in school on Tuesday." Maxim suddenly said sheepishly. He held his breath in nervous anticipation for what was about to come. Maxim was scared, more scared than he had been in most of his life. He didn't want to lose his friends.
[+] The Program V2
Characters
Image (Minus accessories)
M09: Maxim Senders - "The stars are so pretty tonight. Shame you can barely see them." - Status: DEAD
Weapon: Civil War Bayonet Gun
Pregame/Sandbox: o -> o -> o -> o -> o
Program V2: o -> o -> o -> o -> o -> o

Image (Minus accessories)
F10: Bailey Williams - "Don't you fucking move." - Status: DEAD
Weapon: Philadelphia Derringer
Pregame/Sandbox: o
Program V2: o -> o -> o -> o -> o -> o
[+] TV V2
Erik Sheely - The Quiet Cheerleader
Sandbox: o
TV V2: o

Saachi Nidal - The Valedictorian who hates SOTF
Sandbox: o
TV V2: o -> o
[+] Second Chances
Character Planning Thread

Aria Samuels - Quiet, Paranoid and Independent
Weapon - Trumpet
Memories - o
Pregame - o
Game - o -> o -> o -> o -> o -> o

Saachi Nidal - Confident, Aggressive and Regal
Weapon - Meat Cleaver
Game - o -> o ->o -> o -> o -> o -> o
-> o ->o -> o -> o -> o -> o -> o
[+] SOTF International
Jen Mara Tuiqamea - Adopted from Cicada
Game - o
[+] Artsy Stuff That People Have Done
[+] Maxim Senders by Mimi
[+] Bailey Williams by Medic
[+] Saachi Nidal TV2 by Yugi
[+] Saachi Nidal Second Chances
Aster

Post by Aster »

"Well today was kinda-" Tori was cut off by Maxim's appearance, and was glad, too. It probably wasn't worth it telling Louisa how boring today was, other than the robot daydream she had earlier. Her entire week had been boring so far, and it didn't look like it was going to pick up soon unless they went on an adventure. Tori was glad that Maxim appeared, so they all could collectively talk about their day.

Tori gave a wry smile and waved. "Hey Maxim, about time you got here. Well, sit down!" She scooted over and patted an empty space between her and Louisa. Well, it was going to be cramped, but at least they were all sitting. Sitting in a cramped space was better than standing up.

Maxim then mentioned something about a Tuesday incident, which Tori had no clue about. Most of her gossip came from either Louisa or Maxim, and sometimes Ash, if she actually listened. Tori wasn't a social person, and had good reason to ignore most of the student population, the gay-bashing minority-hating assholes. Of course, the Filipino girl would never say it out loud, but it went through her head at least 30 times a day. Maybe more.

"Eh, I'm not that well-versed in Patriot High's gossip and social incidents, so I have no clue what you're talking about." Tori answered, thinking over the things she had heard in the past week. Nothing about Maxim came to mind, but next Tuesday's lunch would be pizza. That counted, right? No, it happened last Tuesday, so next weeks' lunch didn't matter here. Oh well, Maxim would tell them anyway.

Return to “Program V2 Sandbox”