Family Time Never Lasts

(CLOSED)

This forest stretches far across the island, taking up a good chunk of it's landmass. There are a few well beaten dirt paths criss-crossing throughout, some obviously once used for some kind of vehicles. For the most part however, other than these roads the forest is relatively untraveled, most coming to the island for the more exotic features.
Un67*

Family Time Never Lasts

Post by Un67* »

(Debut of BRN04: Marion Clayton.)

Marion woke up in the forest grounds with a start, eyes close, and rubbed her head. The night before, she had a horrible dream... that for once she was having the rare pleasant moment with her father... simply spending some time together, as father and daughter... a kind of moment she barely ever had in the last three years. Then, suddenly, she heard a loud and terrible knocking on the door... and several armed men came in as well as a man in a suit, announcing to the horror of the whole family that Marion was picked for SOTF. They took her away, and both of her parents were left speechless. The last thing she saw in the dream were her father's eyes, wandering with a sense of loss.

Then Marion opened her eyes, and thought she saw her father's eyes again, but she quickly realized that she was looking at her very own eyes. She then kneaded them slightly, and realized that she was looking at a sword, a massive sword about as tall as she was. The realization then came hard and fast - what Marion dreamed was not a dream - it was what actually had happened. For a moment Marion felt nothing but the deepest horror at being totally separated from her parents, and on the razor's edge of death, as she silently began to cry. However, as she released her tears, her horror was gradually being replaced with desire - desire to be with her parents, that was. And the only way to do that was to survive with her team, escape, or, God forbid, kill ten people. She then quickly wiped her tears away on her sleeve and resolved to herself that she wasn't going to simply give up without at least trying. She first noticed her brown bandana, and realized that she was in the Brown team, hoping to herself that the others in the team were people that could a) get along with her, and b) had a good chance of surviving. She then put those thoughts aside, as she rummaged through her daypack. It was mostly fairly standard stuff, until she found something she regarded with absolute dread - a condom.

Not even wanting to think about what could potentially happen to her in the show, she threw the condom as far away from her as possible. It soared fairly far away, a distance that she found comforting. She also noticed that the pack had a... very revealing outfit that she wasn't even sure what it was, and she looked at it with disgust and packed it onto the bottom of the pack where she probably wouldn't see it again. There was no chance on Earth that she was going to give every single pervert out there with cable a chance to ogle her, none at all. Finally, she looked back to the massive sword. It was maybe 5'6", and while she was no weapons expert, she was fairly sure that it was Japanese in origin. She tried to lift it up with two hands from the ground, and managed to get the sword upright, but found herself unable to make any swinging motions with it. A grown man would have had trouble with it, and Marion was not a grown man. But hey, she had to try, and she began trying to practice using the sword in the forest, not even giving consideration to the chance of others being around...

It was early morning in Bryan, Texas, as Elizabeth Clayton watched the TV - the SOTF debut. While she did detest the show and avoided it on principle, her daughter's live was at stake here and she felt like she had no choice but to at least see some of it. Her bosses were sympathetic, they allowed her a paid break for her to recover emotionally. As the first live footage of the students on the island began to air, and Elizabeth began to sip her coffee while shivering in anticipation of what might happen, a small and familiar voice interrupted her thoughts - that of her husband, Alexander. "Shame to see what the media has become these days."

Startled, Elizabeth said to her husband, "Why are you out of your room? You've barely gone outside for three years..."

Alexander chuckled, and mimicked his wife, "Why aren't you at work? You've barely done anything else for three years..."

Elizabeth, embarrassed, chuckled awkwardly, and said, "Yeah, of course you knew."

Her husband nodded back, and said, "I know, I know. I took the liberty of looking Marion up on the website, apparently she's in the Brown Team, led by some journalist. I've heard of her before, they say she's not quite who she seems. Also, apparently Marion got assign-"

He was interrupted when the TV then showed Marion in the forest, lying by her sword. Alexander then continued, "Yeah, that. The nodachi, a Japanese two-handed sword used for fighting cavalry. I suppose there's really no more need for me to talk, let's just watch this together, dear... watch this together, and pray, that is. Marion's got the best of both of us, she has a chance... and if we don't place any hope in her, she's got no chance at all."

Elizabeth blew her nose, and said, "You're right. She can do this. She'll see us... and we'll see her together. Yes, together..."

Alexander chuckled one last time before settling into silence. "Yes, together... I've been through a lot, but she'll go through more... but together with us, even if she can't see us, she can prevail..."

And with that, both of them watched the television screen together in silence.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Un67. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Mungo*

Post by Mungo* »

(Ben continuing from Western Beach)

Beyond the usage of his bandanas, Ben didn't have much of a strategy yet. But he figured that teams would be scattered. Likely thrown to each corner of the island. Away from the beach, he had gotten out his map and compass and studied both. But if he was good at science, he wasn't very good at reading maps. Still, he could try and ascertain his position through process of elimination. There had been no motel, dock, or rain forests and his beach had been a straight stretch of sand with no turning points. So, it was probable that he wasn't on the resort one. Likewise, if on the northern beach, the compass would only point to more sea.

Guessing himself somewhere on the western hemisphere of the island, Ben chose a northward direction and took it. He wasn't the most active of kids, so stops were frequent. During one, he got out his water bottle and took a few chugs. There beneath the other stuff sat the bandanas. People would be wondering what his weapon was and Ben wasn't sure what he'd say. He could try for the lie that he thought himself an experiment. To see how long someone could last with just fists. Had that ever been done before? Ben couldn't remember.

He sat the pack down and took the bandanas out. For a moment, he held them in his hands, fingers running over the fabric, eyes taking in the symbols. Then he stuffed them in between the waistband of his pants and underwear. Easier access and no fear of someone seeing them in his packs. He chose a different bandana at random. Blue, with a wave pattern across. Securing it over the pink one, Ben continued on his way.

A while after, Ben found himself at the outskirts of a forest. With all that exertion, he sweated and the shade would be nice. Finding a navigable path, he wondered about what people thought of him back at home. Thus far, he hadn't really considered it. Yet there it was: He was on TV. His mother and father would undoubtedly be watching, the former having screamed as much as she could when armed men invaded her home. How would they react when he had to kill someone? After all, it was inevitable, really.

Then a condom flew close, landing near his feet. Ben grimaced and held up his arms as though it might attack. For a moment he thought it might be opened. Were people doing that...already? The packaging was intact, though.

He touched the blue bandana covering the pink. Blue, blue, blue. He said it like a mantra, attaching this whole persona to the word and color.

Turning, he tried not to make any obvious noises as he searched for the condom thrower. It didn't take long and he saw her trying to use the sword. Well, at least Ben didn't have to worry about an expert sword wielder.

Finally, he cleared his throat. "Um...er...hi..." he murmured, deliberately stepping closer and more into the open.

Damnit. Nothing like the persona he'd imagined for a blue team member.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Mungo. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Un67*

Post by Un67* »

Marion was quickly distracted from her (futile) attempts at using the sword only moments after she started practicing with it. She heard someone say to her nervously, "Um...er...hi...", and she then turned her head to where she heard the voice coming from. Embarrassed by the fact that she knew that the guy who spoke was watching her try to use the sword, she blushed for a moment before taking a careful look at him. She had definitely saw him before, so that meant that he went to SDA. Of course, she still didn't know who he was, but it was still a start. She also noticed that he had a blue bandana on, which meant that he was most certainly not part of her team. It also didn't really look like he had a weapon, but Marion really couldn't be sure. After quickly thinking over what she saw, she simply decided that it might be a good idea to simply play it cool and avoid causing a fight, since she didn't exactly have the best of weapons. She simply decided to smile calmly and say one word, "Hey."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Un67. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Mungo*

Post by Mungo* »

Gaze flicking upward, he took in the various details. The sword, her face, the bandana. Again, it struck him. If he wanted to draw again, he'd have to survive. Not that that was the sole reason to keep living. He did have other reasons.

At his side, his fingers curled into fists and then loosened again. He had to be brave.

Ben too thought he might recognize the girl, though he didn't think she was in any of his classes. As clumsy as she still was with the sword, he breathed a sigh of relief at not having to evade it. The one word answer relaxed him a bit too. No threat in her tone, no barrage of questions.

"So, Silver Dragon...right? I think...I think I've seen you before." He said, trying not to mumble.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Mungo. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Un67*

Post by Un67* »

Marion carefully watched the guy who in return carefully looked at Marion. She noticed that he was tensing up, as his hands formed themselves into fists and then quickly loosened. Marion couldn't help but think to herself that it was a bad sign, but then again, he didn't seem like the aggressive sort. Still, she knew that she still had to be careful, as most deaths on SoTF-TV were those of people caught by surprise, or at least that's what she concluded from her very limited watching of the show. The boy then said with a bit more courage in his voice, "So, Silver Dragon...right? I think...I think I've seen you before."

After a moment of hesitation, Marion nodded in confirmation and said, "Yeah, I go to SDA. I think I've seen you too before... don't think we share any classes, but definitely think I've seen you before. My name's Marion, by the way, Marion Clayton. And yours...?"
Mungo*

Post by Mungo* »

He breathed a little easier after she spoke. Repeating her name in his head, he stored the tidbits of information into a corner of his mind. Marion Clayton. Brown team. Asian looking sword.

"Oh. Okay." he murmured. "I'm Ben. Ben Grayson." Each word came out as if he were vaulting over some obstacle.

Knowing he should say something more, Ben rifled through the various topics. No longer could he bring up homework or school. And taking about that sword of hers would invite conversation about his own weapon. For that matter, anything about teams would probably bring up the fact that they were supposed to be enemies.

"There was another person," he halted and continued with simple bluntness. "But...I got scared and ran. I think she might have been from that Detroit school."

At least it was something to talk about that seemed harmless. Indeed, he knew he had to talk to survive.

Ben looked down then, hands coming together to fidget. Normally, he would've held a pencil, but those things were past.
Un67*

Post by Un67* »

After Marion told the guy her name and then asked for his in return, the guy replied with obvious difficulty, "Oh. Okay. I'm Ben. Ben Grayson."

Marion nodded to Ben as she took in his words, and then an awkward silence filled the air for a few moments afterward, with neither of them really knowing what to say. Ben then broke the silence and said, "There was another person," before stopping. Marion simply nodded along, without any clue of where Ben was going. He then continued, and said, "But...I got scared and ran. I think she might have been from that Detroit school."

Taking this in, Marion didn't really have the first clue what to say, since there were so few details to go on. Like before, she simply nodded, and observed Ben carefully. She noticed his hands were fidgeting, probably from the stress. She was a bit relieved, it didn't really seem likely that he was going to suddenly attack her or anything. Still, she figured that she could try to find out a bit more, and decided to say calmly to Ben, "Are... are you alright? You seem a bit nervous, if you need to say something, feel free to go ahead. I'm not going to force you of course, that's not my place."
Mungo*

Post by Mungo* »

Ben's fingers continued to twist around each other. His eyes, too, were just as restless, darting about the area as if just looking at Marion might be construed as offensive. It was nice here, though, under the forest, even if the conversation was strained on his part.

The question she asked surprised him. Brows rose and he glanced to her fleetingly. Sometimes people asked why he didn't talk much. He'd shrug, they'd lose interest, and that would be the end of it.

"I'm okay, I guess. In general terms, I mean. Since we're in this game now." He stammered. "It's just that...this. Talking. Conversation. Meeting strangers. I don't do that much. I don't want to annoy you. So sorry if I am."

It all came out in one awkward rush.
Un67*

Post by Un67* »

As Marion spoke to Ben, it appeared that he got even more restless, with his eyes beginning to wander as well. She couldn't help but think about her father, after he was injured his eyes almost always wandered away from her when they were talking. They were the same expressive green eyes that got passed down to Marion, the same that Marion thought she was looking at when she saw her reflection in the blade. In any case, she was distracted from her thoughts on her father's eyes when Ben began to speak. He said quickly and awkwardly, "I'm okay, I guess. In general terms, I mean. Since we're in this game now. It's just that...this. Talking. Conversation. Meeting strangers. I don't do that much. I don't want to annoy you. So sorry if I am."

In reply, Marion nodded understandingly, and said, "Yeah... yeah... I know what you mean. My father... he hasn't been much of a talker in the last three years, since, well, he got injured, pretty badly at that. PTSD and all that. Not quite the same thing, but I'm used to this, it's nothing to me."
Mungo*

Post by Mungo* »

Even with his wandering gaze, Ben had noticed the vibrant green of Marion's eyes. In another time, he might have drawn them. In another time, he would've have worried and rationalized how borrowing small details from people was fine, but drawing them entirely might seem creepy.

As Marion replied, Ben abruptly sat on the forest floor. It was nice and soft and the change in position eased some of the constant fidgeting, though he did pick a blade of grass and twirl it between his thumb and index finger.

"I'm sorry," he said when Marion had finished. At least he didn't have to be disingenuous in regards to his interactions.

For a few moments, he didn't say anything, focused on some distant point. "Do you...do you think they're watching? Our parents, I mean."

He halted as if undecided as to whether he should continue. "My mom...well, she hates this show. How, erm, ironic that I get chosen..."
Un67*

Post by Un67* »

When Marion was halfway through replying, Ben suddenly sat down on the forest floor. It seemed to relax him a bit, but Marion noticed that he still was twirling a blade of grass between his thumb and index finger. After she was finished, Ben simply said, "I'm sorry."

In reply, despite what some people might have expected, Marion actually chuckled and shook her head. She then said, "Don't worry about feeling sorry for me, I get that all the time. I want to see them again, but, well, feeling sorry isn't really going to change anything."

Then, like before, there was silence for a few moments. Marion took the chance to sit down as well, although she kept the sword within arm's reach. Ben then said, "Do you...do you think they're watching? Our parents, I mean."

Those words gave Marion a brief mental jolt. Could her parents be watching? She knew that they loved her and would do anything to be with her, and watching her on TV would be as close as they could get, but her mother was bogged down in work and her father barely ever even came out of his room. Still, she couldn't help but think that they were watching, and then very suddenly she began to blush. If they were watching, they must have seen her throw the condom away, which could be about the most embarrassing thing she could ever do on national TV for them. Still, luckily for Marion, this thought came out of her mind when Ben continued, "My mom...well, she hates this show. How, erm, ironic that I get chosen..."

Again, Marion nodded, and said, "Yeah, my parents aren't so hot on this show either. I think they might be watching, I don't think they're just going to ignore something that could be... you know."
Mungo*

Post by Mungo* »

Ben nodded. Marion's words rang true and he wondered whether there was any place in his life where he could apply them. After the divorce of his parents, Ben had withdrawn, feeling betrayed and sorry for himself. Maybe things could have been different if he had recognized those emotions wouldn't change anything.

He noticed, of course, the closeness in which Marion kept the sword. But that was just smart. He would have done the same if he had something similar.

When she spoke again, Ben inclined his head once more. He tried to imagine his mother glued to a television. She'd have surgeries to perform, but what kind of hospital would allow a surgeon to perform while her son might be slaughtered on some island? His father, well, would probably watch with his girlfriend. At that thought, Ben's features tightened.

He didn't want to focus on the fact they might die or his dad's infidelity. "Do you have plans?" Ben asked quietly, changing the subject. "Beyond sitting in the forest?"

Looking to her again, Ben felt a pang of regret. If only he had chosen the brown bandana instead of the blue. He'd struggle with speaking to anyone, but at least Marion understood.
Un67*

Post by Un67* »

Marion could see that Ben was definitely thinking what she said over, and felt good to know that what she said was being considered carefully. Then after she spoke again, she noticed that Ben raised his head, presumably to think about something, and that his features then gradually tightened over... something. Marion knew that it wasn't worth it to ask, and decided to keep silent. She then noticed that Ben didn't look too comfortable on the subject, and then Ben asked to her quietly, "Do you have plans? Beyond sitting in the forest?"

Thinking it over, Marion carefully considered what she would say. She knew that she still had to be careful and avoid saying something that might be used against her later, but she had a hard time trying to figure out something that couldn't be potentially used against her. After a few seconds, she simply gave up and said honestly, "I don't have much of a plan, to be honest. I figure I might get moving and explore the island, try to find my team... that's about it, really, there's no way I can plan for anything in the long term if I don't find my team in the short term."

She then looked behind her with a bit of hesitation. After sighing quietly, she then said to Ben, "Don't take this personally, but I think I should get moving... don't want to stay in the same place too long. I wish we were in the same team, but, well, we aren't. I really don't enjoy saying this, but I hope we don't see each other after this... if we do, it might be on less friendly terms, and after talking with you it's that much harder to even consider hurting you, or God forbid, killing you. But we shouldn't think about that, we need to find our teammates... Take care, then..."

Then, after getting up, she walked away from Ben for a couple minutes, sword in hand, before finding a nice shaded spot for her to rest for a moment. She then took a drink of water, and looked at her map. Finally, she mused to herself quietly, "Now just which way do I go...?"

(BRN04: Marion Clayton continued in Down by the Water.)
Mungo*

Post by Mungo* »

"Yeah...I guess that's true," Ben said in response to Marion's summation of her plans. He thought of his own team. Somewhere on the island would be people with pink bandanas. Ben could pretend at any allegiance, but in the end he still had to find his team.

He glanced back to Marion as she continued speaking. Her first words were enough of a hint to give away the rest of them. Still, he listened silently.

"Same," he murmured simply, adding, "Good luck."

With that she left. Ben knew mercy wouldn't be rewarded in this game. And really, one conversation wasn't enough to constitute friendship. Even so, Ben resolved that he wouldn't kill Marion. A humorless sort of smile twisted across his face at that. Wouldn't that be something? To have to exterminate the one person he'd be adverse to killing.

Reaching up, he touched the blue bandana. Not his, not his team. He'd proceed with his plan, though, so it was time to hit a new area.

On the bright side, he'd managed to hold a mostly normal conversation with a stranger.

(Ben continued... The Resort Beach])

Return to “The Forest”