SOTF Song Contest #64 - Covers 2: Acoustic Boogaloo

doesn't actually have to be acoustic

SOTF's own Eurovision-style song contest. Submit songs that fit the theme and get mercilessly judged on your taste in music here.
Zetsu

SOTF Song Contest #64 - Covers 2: Acoustic Boogaloo

Post by Zetsu »

So, uh. That happened.

ANYWAYS! my city now

COVERS 2: ACOUSTIC BOOGALOO

The theme this time is covers, yes, but it comes with one caveat: the cover you use has to alter the original song in a significant way. This can mean a bunch of different things! Acoustic covers! A capella covers! Orchestral covers! Covers that change the lyrics! Covers of love songs that change the gender of the singer so that It's Gay Now (you know the ones)!! If you have questions over whether your song counts, just ask; I'll probably say yes. Pretty much as long as it's not just a repeat of the original song with different artists, it counts (and sometimes even that works).
[+] teh rules
No reality show/competition covers or Eurovision songs. Weird holdover rule but I copy/paste these every time, from others who did the same. By now it's just a tradition.

Please don't use anything we've used in a prior songtest (Master Songtest Sheet here).

There's no need to relentlessly bash songs in chat. This is for fun and we all have different tastes, which is part of the experience of participating in these.

Songs will be randomly divided into 2 or 3 semifinals depending on turnout. if you're going to be away at some point in the next couple of weeks, let me know and I can try to put your song in a round when you'll be here.

Listen to every song and give points to your top 10 favorites: 12 to your favorite, 10 to your second, 8 to your third, 7 to your fourth, and so on down to 1 point for your tenth favorite.

If your song is in a given round, you must vote that round or you'll be eliminated. if your song isn't in that round (or you aren't in the contest at all), your vote will be counted as a public vote, which counts for half points.

If you're doing a public vote in chat, tag me in Discord with @Zetsu so that I can find them or send them to me like regular votes. If you don't do this, I can't guarantee I'll find them.

Public votes will all count as half-votes.

The top songs will move on to the final; the number of top songs depends on the number of contestants. Repeat the process for the finals and we get a winner.

The winner gets to hold the next contest, or they can pass the job along to 2nd place if they don't want to. 2nd place can pass down to third, etc, until someone wants to host.

Each semifinal and the final will last for three days.

If you know at the start of your semifinal that you wont be available to vote for those four days, let me know and I can move you to another semifinal, if we aren't on the final one already.
I'd post more gifs/images, but i'm, like, having a real hard time finding stuff that riffs on the idea of covers. whoops.

Songtest will begin in 72 hours, at which time signups will close. Until then, have at!

1. Zetsu
2. Laurels
3. DN
4. Random
5. MW
6. Blizz
7. Jilly
8. Polybius
9. MeS
10. Skraal
11. burnitup
12. Ohm
13. Buko
14. Yonagoda
15. Kami
16. Irina
17. floof
18. Rugga
19. Ricky
20. Dea
21. Buko 2 Shiola
22. Fen
23. Brackie
24. Paige
25. Irene
26. boogie
27. Zee
28. mara
29. Pancapples
30. Slam

*= indicates I still need a song
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

I'm in!
Avatar art by the lovely and inimitable Kotorikun
BlizzardeyeWonder

Post by BlizzardeyeWonder »

Throwing my hat into the ring
[+] Meilin
Meilin Zhou (Wiki) - DEAD

>Pregame Start: life observes itself
-->Pregame Status: Waltzed out a party with her crush
>Prom Start: Fancy Meeting You Here
-->Prom Status: Taking a dance, taking on the world
>Trip Start: The Best of You
-->Trip Status: Running away from an eyeful of NSFW
>Game Start: Rise Great Undead Lord Dread
-->Game Status (FINAL): Stop hitting yourself

Aesthetics
"No sun to rise would be okay with me... Everyday, every day is okay"
[+] Camilla
Camilla Bell (Wiki) - DEAD

>Pregame Start: Who's Turn Was It, Anyway?
-->Pregame Status: Had more than her fair share of revelry
>Prom Start: Early in the Morning
-->Prom Status: Ditching the drama for blues
>Trip Start: When I'm Gone
-->Trip Status: Preemptively homesick
>Game Start: Bloom Nobly, in a Transient Life
-->Game Status (FINAL): Loved to death.

Aesthetics
"A voice in her head, a voice in her head, screaming all the words that were left unsaid"
Polybius

Post by Polybius »

Appyling
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Presente
MethodicalSlacker

Post by MethodicalSlacker »

In!
[+] Recommended Reading Order
—The Heaven Panel—

Image / Image - G051: Lili Williams: 1. Kidnapped from her school trip and thrown into a horrific death game, Lili wanders the wasteland in search of her past life before it slides away from her for good.

Meanwhile 1. From Here On Out [Complete] Marie Bernstein eats ice cream with her friend and gets a text message.

Image / Image - B043: Arthur Bernstein: 2. Arthur watches the waters from the beach, knowing that their presence spells death. Seeking his sister's comfort, he takes up the spear and walks alongside another.

Meanwhile 2. Colorless [Complete] A family reunion under less than ideal circumstances. When trying to unravel the mystery of her brother's death at the hands of esoteric serial terrorists, Marie discovers more than she bargained for.

——The Earth Panel——

𝄇

Image - G026: Liberty "Bert" Wren: 3. It is happening again. To make things right, Bert must understand where things went wrong.

Image - B049: Max Rudolph: 4. The words we use to construct our realities often also make up the links in our chains. Fleeing a vision, Max builds his most elaborate prison yet.

Image - B032: Lucas Diaz: 5. A life lived through the views of others. In pursuit of revenge and his own death, Lucas Diaz interrupts the falling of many dominos.

Meanwhile 3. Because We Love You [Complete] Selections from a Google Drive, never to be logged into again.

Meanwhile 4. The Lines We Draw [Complete] In the process of collecting his brother's memories, Milo Diaz has a fitful morning.

Image - G007: Violet Schmidt: 6. The stars in the night sky do not make pictures. Breathing on both sides of the water, Violet Schmidt journeys to escape the confines of her own mind, and her reality.

Meanwhile 5. Years of Pilgrimage [???] Dana Schmidt is dreaming.

Meanwhile 6. Colorless II [Ongoing] Charlie Bernstein returns to the desert and finds it empty.

Meanwhile 7. Writing the Enigma [Ongoing] Randy Rudolph provides lodgings for Marie Bernstein as she investigates Survival of the Fittest, the city of Chattanooga, and the meaning of water.
———The Hell Panel———

𝄌
¿

[+] Other Threads
Virtual Pilgrimage: Exploring the Pregame Cities of SOTF
Skraal

Post by Skraal »

I'm in!
[+] Survival of the Fittest Version 5
Characters:
Timothy Abrams
Weapon: Replica Flamethrower
Current Status: Deceased
Kyle Fitzpatrick
Weapon: Bulletproof Vest
Eliza Patton (Adopted from laZardo)
Weapon: M-1 Garand
[+] Survival of the Fittest Version 7
Characters:
Oliver Lacroix Current Status: Deceased
William "Bill" Dover Current Status: Deceased
Salvatore "Sal" Bonaventura (Adopted by Ohm) Current Status: Alive
Yonagoda

Post by Yonagoda »

Consider myself in!
[+] v8 babies
Noah Karimi-Danya- Better than you think

Giselle Modisette- Nothing's wrong

Isaiah Flanagan- Apologize

Lorenza/o Araya- Narcissistic self hatred

Betty Sadberry- Re-empathize

Erika Takahashi-Schaff- Everything's beautiful
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

Here to post the muzak.
Irina Ivanov

Post by Irina Ivanov »

I've come to show off my crappy playlist, I'm in.
Currently not in anything!
[+] The Future
Annalise Meyer - Self-Assured Introvert
Robin Wang - Belligerent Socialite
Brittany O'Doyle - Recovering Pollyanna
Pippi

Post by Pippi »

Henlo......
[+] V7
B006 - Stepney Cruz - DEAD - Dynasty decapitated, you just might see a ghost tonight - Mountain Bike - Localised - Catastrophe - Inferno
Pregame - Chill - Loss - Realm
Trip - Loved

G035 - Katie Agustien - DEAD - There's only two ways that these things can go, good or bad and how was I to know that all your friends won't hold any grudges, I got the final judgment - The World's Sharpest Knife™ - Dread - Skin - ieatnothing - Satisfaction - Tempest - Zero
Pregame - Vend-etta - Flames - Fleet - Monachopsis - Glitter
Trip - G҉ A҉ N҉ G҉

B028 - Aurelien Valter - DEAD - When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat, before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream - Spiked Mace, Glock 19, Min-Jae Parker's Crossbow - Nightmare - Bubbles - Neighbourhood - Tragedy - Make It - Fiend - Sleet - Love - Walls - Friends - Key - Everything - Gotta - Ghosts - Alone
Pregame - Shark - Heart
Prom - Link - Gradation - Ballare
Trip - Inferis - Scusare

B052 - Garren Mortimer - DEAD- Cut up and I can't feel my hands, no need to chase, can you relate, can you keep up the pace like you're dying for this? - Bryan Calvert's SPAS-12, Alligator tooth sword - Sky - Geek - Nation - No - Dilemma - Mauerbauertraurigkeit - Struck - Punishment - Énouement - Pain - Learn - lamb - Moves
Pregame - Rain
Trip - Life

Meanwhile
Lyra Doyle - Let's live tonight like fireflies, and one by one light up the sky - Pop!
Pregame - Evolution - Life - Lo Mein
Memories - Forward - Odds

Dean Puchero - By July you'd made a whole bunch of brand new friends, people you used to look down on, and you'd figured out a way to make real money - Phone - Angel
Pregame - Generation - Prince
Memories - Star
Prom - Sun - Luster
[+] The Past
V6
Bryony Adams - Burning bright until the end, now you'll be missing from the photographs
Astrid Tate - So what became of loving man, and what became of you?
Mia Rose - You can't understand that I won't leave 'til we're finished here, and then you'll find out where it all went wrong

V5
Owen Kay - I fold my tie and ribbon to hide my scars, that's how it starts
Amy Bachelor - Can you whisper, as it crumbles and breaks, as you shiver, count up all your mistakes
Francis St. Ledger - So a day when you've lost yourself completely could be a night when your life ends

V4
George Leidman (Adopted from Blastinus) - Now if we jump together at least we can swim far away from the wreck that we made
Beatrice - Jamie - Pippi - Tim - Ada - Tabby - Romeo - Lissa - Freddie - Trinity - Redd - Natalie - Kendra
[+] The Future
Boyd Adkinson - Ain't no surprise that I can't sleep tonight, my only vice is standing by your side
"bryony and alba would definitely join the terrorists quote me on this put this quote in signatures put it in history books" - Cicada Days, 2017
Zetsu

Post by Zetsu »

~24 hours to get your song in if you haven't already!!!
Zetsu

Post by Zetsu »

Time for Round 1!
As always, send your songs in the following format:

12- Song Name
10- ...
8- ...
7- ...
6- ...
5- ...
4- ...
3- ...
2- ...
1- ...

With 12 being your favorite song, 10 being your second favorite, and so on. The top...10? Let's say 10. The top 10 songs will advance to the finals. If you're not in this round, you can submit public votes, which will count for half. You can PM/DM me your publics or post them in chat; please ping me if you do the latter, to make sure that I receive them.

If you're in this round and you do not vote in the next 72ish hours, you'll be DQ'd.

Now go forth, my children!
Zetsu

Post by Zetsu »

ROUND 2 RESULTS

ohohohohoho

[+] please not another live-action remake oh god get that thing off my screen
DQ'd: Dear Prudence - Siouxsie and the Banshees, submitted by MethodicalSlacker. It received 60 points, including two 10s, and two public 12s.
14th: Toujours là pour toi (Never Gonna Give You Up) - 2 Be 3, submitted by Polybius. It received 28.5 points, including one public 8.
13th: Heavenly Star - Rei Yasuda, submitted by Jilly. It received 32 points, including one 12.
12th: Raining Blood - Tori Amos, submitted by Slam. It received 35 points, including two 8s and one public 8.
11th: 7 Rings - Julie Andrews feat. the Von Trapp Queens, submitted by Irina. It received 42.5 points, including one 12.
[+] uncancelled by the fandom
Kaze no Toorimichi - All That Jazz
Marie douceur Marie colère (Paint it Black) - Marie Laforêt
The Sound of Silence - Jonathan Young
Careless Whisper - Nataly Dawn
Doin' Time - Lana Del Rey
Stayin' Alive - Bruce Springsteen
Jolene - Ndlovu Youth Choir
The Pretender - Infected Mushroom
Bank Account - Joyner Lucas
In Bloom - Sturgill Simpson
round 2 coming up!
Zetsu

Post by Zetsu »

Fun fact: prior to modern times, being original wasn't actually valued in art. Why come up with something new when you can make something awesome even more awesome?

As always, send your songs in the following format:

12- Song Name
10- ...
8- ...
7- ...
6- ...
5- ...
4- ...
3- ...
2- ...
1- ...

With 12 being your favorite song, 10 being your second favorite, and so on. Same as before, the top 10 advance to the finals. If you're not in this round, you can submit public votes, which will count for half; you can PM/DM me your publics or post them in chat; please ping me if you do the latter, to make sure that I receive them. Et cetera et cetera.

72 hours to submit or you get yeeted

(honestly the only reason I brought up Milton was because I just really wanted an excuse to share this story) 

Return to “Song Contests”