Blades in the Dark

Criminal activity in a haunted city

Take a break from the toils of the SOTF ACT and relax in the tranquility of another roleplay. You decide what sort of roleplays appear here, be they AUs or something entirely different. You're only limited by your own imagination.
Polybius

Blades in the Dark

Post by Polybius »

Blades in the Dark is a tabletop role-playing game about a crew of daring scoundrels seeking their fortunes on the haunted streets of an industrial-fantasy city. There are heists, chases, occult mysteries, dangerous bargains, bloody skirmishes, and, above all, riches to be had — if you’re bold enough to seize them.

You and your fledgling crew must thrive amidst the threats of rival gangs, powerful noble families, vengeful ghosts, the Bluecoats of the city watch, and the siren song of your scoundrel’s own vices. Will you rise to power in the criminal underworld? What are you willing to do to get to the top?

Welcome to Doskvol. A industrial city where the commoners toil away in factories to serve the nobility. Gangs endlessly fight for control of the poor parts of the city while strange secret societies manuever to control the elite. The lands surrounding Doskvol are barren and full of demons, who are only kept at bay by a lightning fence surrounding the city. Unfortunately, this technology is powered by the blood of these demons, so legions of sailors put their lives on the line to slay the beasts. Also, there are ghosts everywhere. Are you a bad enough dude to rise through the ranks of Doskvol's underworld and achieve wealth and glory?

Have you ever looked at the Other Roleplaying board and thought "Damn, there are not enough threads advertising TTRPG campaigns"? I've got good news. As mentioned in that marketing blurb at the top of the post, Blades in the Dark is a roleplaying game where you play a crew of criminals engaging in various jobs through the brutal city of Doskvol. You can be a thief, a conman, a street tough, or even a weirdo who talks to ghosts. I intend to run a campaign for 3-5 players, starting in the near future. Here are the major selling points of the system.

- Blades is story first and game second. The rules are light, and few of the skills and perks you can gain have solid, unshakeable mechanical value. Every action, from combat to persuasion to safecracking is decided by a fairly simple system of "Action rolls". You roll a few d6s, take the highest result, and see how successful you are.

- Blades is a sandbox game with emphasis on player control. You decide what type of crew you want to make- will you be burglars, assassins, smugglers? You decide. The players also choose which jobs to take. I'll offer up some hints and leads, but you choose what to do. The players also decide what actions to take and what skills to roll, with the DM only deciding how difficult the roll will be. Each faction has their own possessions and goals, and you decide which ones to fuck up.

- It's an episodic game meant to resemble a TV show. You go through a cycle of jobs and downtime, where you decide what your character does while not committing crimes.

If you're interesting, go to this page here.. You can download the Player's Kit, which has everything you need to play. An abridged easy-to-consult version of the rules, character creation procedures, and basic setting info. You don't need to read it all at once, but it's great to have. You can also download character sheets from here. If that's not enough for you... well, remember that 1000 game BLM itch.io bundle from a few weeks ago? If you bought that, then congrats, you already own the full rulebook of Blades in the Dark. Personally, I'd prefer if you didn't look at the "Running the game" and "factions" section of the full rulebook, since that contains spoilery information, but it's not that big a deal if you do.

You know the drill, post here if you want to play. 3-5 players is ideal. We'll play over discord voice, more details to come later. We'll also need to talk about character creation and which type of crew to play beforehand, so I'll start a discord server to chat about that stuff as soon as we got our people.

~The list~
1. Blizzard
2. Plush
3. Toxie
BlizzardeyeWonder

Post by BlizzardeyeWonder »

Count me intrigued
[+] Meilin
Meilin Zhou (Wiki) - DEAD

>Pregame Start: life observes itself
-->Pregame Status: Waltzed out a party with her crush
>Prom Start: Fancy Meeting You Here
-->Prom Status: Taking a dance, taking on the world
>Trip Start: The Best of You
-->Trip Status: Running away from an eyeful of NSFW
>Game Start: Rise Great Undead Lord Dread
-->Game Status (FINAL): Stop hitting yourself

Aesthetics
"No sun to rise would be okay with me... Everyday, every day is okay"
[+] Camilla
Camilla Bell (Wiki) - DEAD

>Pregame Start: Who's Turn Was It, Anyway?
-->Pregame Status: Had more than her fair share of revelry
>Prom Start: Early in the Morning
-->Prom Status: Ditching the drama for blues
>Trip Start: When I'm Gone
-->Trip Status: Preemptively homesick
>Game Start: Bloom Nobly, in a Transient Life
-->Game Status (FINAL): Loved to death.

Aesthetics
"A voice in her head, a voice in her head, screaming all the words that were left unsaid"
Emprexx Plush

Post by Emprexx Plush »

Hello I loooovee blades in the dark so will definitely throw in schedule permitting
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
ImageG056, Alda Abbate(Adopted)
It was difficult to nail down exactly when the anger started. Remembering a time when it wasn't there, coiled up and waiting to strike or alive and thrashing, was growing more and more challenging. It'd been with her for so long that it no longer felt like an intruder in her mind. It felt like a part of her.
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
I multiplied. Then I subtracted. That's what we do now. That's how we keep the most people around.
ImageB014, Joachim Lovelace(Adopted)
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

ImageG037, Abby Floyd:This place was vile. Overwhelmingly, terribly vile. Character Theme: Everything's Alright-Emily Scholz
ImageB016, Ty Yazzie: You ever wonder if you still got a home to go back to? Character Theme: Warrior People-Medicine For The People
ImageIsaac Brea(Adopted from Espi): Isaac's well of fucks was bone-dry. Character Theme: The Whiskey, The Liar, The Thief-Patent Pending
ImageG011, Caedyn Miller:So...how did you wanna do this? Feeling an open casket? Or is that dumb? Nah, don't say it, that's dumb. We'll be soup by the time they send us home anyway. Character Theme: Sleep-My Chemical Romance
ImageG032, Irene Djezari(Adopted from CicadaDays): Death was not worse than Meme Hell. Character Theme: A Beautiful Lie-30 Seconds To Mars
[+] V7 Characters
ImageB066, Blaise d'Aramitz: I am not fucking dabbing on a corpse, Carl. Character Theme: The Nurse Who Loved Me-A Perfect Circle
ImageG032, Helena 'Hel" Fury: I hope my family’s waiting. The one I made out here. I hope you’ll be a part of it again. Character Theme: Fix Me-10 YearsImage
ImageB073, Jeremiah Anderson: "GO--GO--GO." Character theme: The Big Sleep-Murder By Death
ImageG066, Marco Hart: I'm not satisfied anymore. I don't think I'd want to be if I could. Character theme: Maurice's Monsters-Small Leaks Sink Ships
ImageG080, Nikki Nelson-Kelly: The fools. The morons. The aBsOlUtE cReTiNs. Character Theme: Movement-The Whip
ImageG062, Tonya Collins: The girl, the person, the thing, the shape on the screen, that wasn't her. Character Theme: Get Down-Isador
ItzToxie

Post by ItzToxie »

I love criming it up, count me interested.
Polybius

Post by Polybius »

updated list boop boop that's all
Polybius

Post by Polybius »

I'll make the discord chat today or tomorrow so we can start planning. If anyone else wants to join, they still can.
Yonagoda

Post by Yonagoda »

IDk if i have time or energy but I think its interesting. No gurantee I'll join sorry!
[+] v8 babies
Noah Karimi-Danya- Better than you think

Giselle Modisette- Nothing's wrong

Isaiah Flanagan- Apologize

Lorenza/o Araya- Narcissistic self hatred

Betty Sadberry- Re-empathize

Erika Takahashi-Schaff- Everything's beautiful

Return to “Other Roleplaying”