V7 BKA/BDA Voting: June 2020

Each month, SOTF hosts various contests on the site, the most notable of which are the Best Kill and Best Death contests. Winners of said contests receive prizes that will be beneficial to either their character or themselves. Voting for these contests will take place here!
Emprexx Plush

V7 BKA/BDA Voting: June 2020

Post by Emprexx Plush »

Welcome to June's Best Kill and Best Death Awards. Before we begin, the rules:

1. In this thread, you may post as an anonymous guest to select one student to receive the day's Best Kill Award, and one handler to receive the Best Death Award. Prizes will be given out in-character for BKA, consisting of a weapon and food, and out-of-character for BDA, consisting of a quote from their character to be displayed on the board index until the next BDA is awarded.
2. You may only vote while logged out. You can identify yourself in your vote if you want, but you may not claim to be another handler.
3. You may only vote once, and you may not vote for yourself in either category. Staff can see IP addresses, and we will check them if we have reason to suspect shenanigans.
4. You must provide reasoning with your vote for why you think your choices deserve the award. Votes with no reasoning will not be counted.
5. Don't be a jerk. You can explain why some scenes are your favorites without tearing others down.
6. Make sure that your answers are clear; please don't use any formatting that might cause votes to be miscounted or left out.
7. Please be sure to read every kill and death before voting, please vote for your genuine favorites rather than just voting for your friends, and please don't campaign for awards in the chat or otherwise try to influence the vote.

And your Best Kill and Best Death contestants:

BEST KILL AWARD:
Diego Larrosa for killing Henry Sparks
Justin Greene for killing Sakurako Jackson
Marceline Carlson for killing Nick Ogilvie
Arizona Butler for killing Michael Froese
Justin Greene for killing Katrina Lavell

BEST DEATH AWARD:
Shiola for the death of Henry Sparks
SunnyBunny for the death of Sakurako Jackson
General Goose for the death of Nick Ogilvie
Kermit for the death of Michael Froese
Laurels for the death of Katrina Lavell

Voting will run for five days. Votes will remain hidden until time is up, and the winners will be declared in the following announcement.
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
ImageG056, Alda Abbate(Adopted)
It was difficult to nail down exactly when the anger started. Remembering a time when it wasn't there, coiled up and waiting to strike or alive and thrashing, was growing more and more challenging. It'd been with her for so long that it no longer felt like an intruder in her mind. It felt like a part of her.
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
I multiplied. Then I subtracted. That's what we do now. That's how we keep the most people around.
ImageB014, Joachim Lovelace(Adopted)
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

ImageG037, Abby Floyd:This place was vile. Overwhelmingly, terribly vile. Character Theme: Everything's Alright-Emily Scholz
ImageB016, Ty Yazzie: You ever wonder if you still got a home to go back to? Character Theme: Warrior People-Medicine For The People
ImageIsaac Brea(Adopted from Espi): Isaac's well of fucks was bone-dry. Character Theme: The Whiskey, The Liar, The Thief-Patent Pending
ImageG011, Caedyn Miller:So...how did you wanna do this? Feeling an open casket? Or is that dumb? Nah, don't say it, that's dumb. We'll be soup by the time they send us home anyway. Character Theme: Sleep-My Chemical Romance
ImageG032, Irene Djezari(Adopted from CicadaDays): Death was not worse than Meme Hell. Character Theme: A Beautiful Lie-30 Seconds To Mars
[+] V7 Characters
ImageB066, Blaise d'Aramitz: I am not fucking dabbing on a corpse, Carl. Character Theme: The Nurse Who Loved Me-A Perfect Circle
ImageG032, Helena 'Hel" Fury: I hope my family’s waiting. The one I made out here. I hope you’ll be a part of it again. Character Theme: Fix Me-10 YearsImage
ImageB073, Jeremiah Anderson: "GO--GO--GO." Character theme: The Big Sleep-Murder By Death
ImageG066, Marco Hart: I'm not satisfied anymore. I don't think I'd want to be if I could. Character theme: Maurice's Monsters-Small Leaks Sink Ships
ImageG080, Nikki Nelson-Kelly: The fools. The morons. The aBsOlUtE cReTiNs. Character Theme: Movement-The Whip
ImageG062, Tonya Collins: The girl, the person, the thing, the shape on the screen, that wasn't her. Character Theme: Get Down-Isador
Hamtaro

Post by Hamtaro »

Best Kill: Arizona Butler for killing Michael Froese. Arizona's posts and whole presence in this thread were fantastic, casting her as this unstoppable force of vengeance before finally winding down and making her a person again. While her killing of Quinn was frantic, this kill on Michael is ice cold and just saturated with a sense of the inevitable in a way that really suits her. Now that she's taken care of her revenge for Jonah and taking out the big threats that she had a personal connection to, Arizona's faced with the choice on whether to steel herself and go for the win, and I want her to have that moment of reflection and possible reaffirmation that comes with winning the prize.

Best Death: General Goose for Nick Ogilvie. Nick had a dramatic island start that transitioned into a quieter, more personal journey throughout the game. Marceline's sudden reappearance is his temporary sanctuary being invaded by the reality he's in once more, and it hit a lot of nice beats that echo his beginnings. His and Marceline's understanding of each other and the way their paths have diverged in surprising ways from where they both started is very nice, and I especially liked a little call-back that wasn't really pointed out in the text, namely Nick's request from his first thread to be shot in the heart and not in the face being ignored. Great job from Goose, as always.
BRRRRRWUBWUBWUB

Post by BRRRRRWUBWUBWUB »

BKA: Arizona Butler for killing Michael Froese. FUCKING BRUTAL. I like this kill a lot. Arizona’s no nonsense approach to revenge was one I found very effective, with little in the way of trying to make Michael feel her pain, with the short sentences for description and very curt dialogue going a long way to showing that the act was what was important, not whatever deflections the deceased tried to throw in her way.

BDA: General Goose for the death of Nick Ogilvie. This whole scene was heartbreaking. I may have cried just a little bit. I liked how Goose wrote his side of Nick being left by Marco, it was touching without being overblown. I liked how it communicated Nick’s emotional bonds without trying to make him deeper or more prone to insight than he normally was. I also liked his parting “fuck you” to Marceline, it felt like a fitting series of remarks for him to give.
backslash

Post by backslash »

2 days, 14 hours, and 40 minutes for votes.
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
Deadline Looms!

Post by Deadline Looms! »

BKA: Diego For Henry

Tiebreaking to Diego because I voted Marceline last time, but it was top notch also.

The thing that's particularly impressive and cool about Diego's kill is how it lines up on a mental/emotional/ideological level. Through his time in the game, Diego's ultimate goal has remained clear: he wants to live and go home. Less certain, however, has been his path there. He's consciously attempted to shape his own psyche into one capable of the actions needed to potentially survive, first through his Lorenzo partnership and then through his interactions with Ty and his solo acts of violence. This kill, however, represents that first time he's successfully sealed the deal with no external justifications or hesitation, where he's stuck around to see the wreckage fall where it may. And it's great also because it comes as the result of his discussion with Henry, as the point he takes from it, his ultimate lesson, is not at all what the other boy was hoping. For such a violent act, I love that the genesis was a quiet social moment.

BDA: Kermit for Michael

I'm still not over Michael being out. That said, Kermit crafted one of the most vivid, deep, interesting, layered characters SOTF has seen, and then stuck the landing in the face of some steep odds. Michael's story has always been a tangle of references and concepts and recurrences, and all of that is on display in his last hurrah, but challenged and given a different shape by the pressing nature of the situation. It's a case of expectations being tragically and also cleverly challenged, as Michael himself muses that he expected more time, something slow and complicated for time with introspection. I appreciate that, even with a comparatively quick exit, his narrative doesn't get overly blunt or choppy, though. He's Michael to the end, still chasing his themes and not pulling punches or bothering to explain himself. If you've been following him carefully, digging deep into his posts and character, he doesn't have to spell stuff out. You already know.
guffy

Post by guffy »

BKA: Marceline Carlson for killing Nick Ogilvie

I thought that this scene as a whole was just working on another level, the dynamics of the characters and the way they play off each other really brings everything together. Now with how good Nick was—which will get onto—I don't think Marceline was a passenger at all, she held her own and it's very enjoyable to watch the two opposed characters challenge each other, it's a fight of beliefs and ideologies and you can see Marceline waver and consider before confirming that this is indeed the path she wants to take. If killing Amelia was the first steps on a darker path this kill of Nick is the point of no return for the character as a good person, and the writing really sells that and makes it clear that we're witnessing someone fall to the darkness.

BDA: General Goose for the death of Nick Ogilvie

I think this is going the be the popular choice this round and for good reason. Goose infuses the scene with a lot of emotion and dignity, to give the final moments of Nick's life a somber heroic quality. This is something that Nick has earned through his time in the game as he certainly did not begin in a position for such a death to be fitting. That he got there says a lot about the journey he has been on and how the relationship with Marco ended up changing him as a person. Nick is a classic example of a more lowkey character who has a more quiet and personal journey throughout the game and it all culminates here. I think when we look back on V7 with a few years distance people will highlight Nick as an underground pick.
oh wow im crying

Post by oh wow im crying »

I would give justin greene for the bka! I really enjoyed the dynamic and the action- his desperation, versus Katrina's determination to live. Although he did get the water and supplies from the bag, it feels lke he didn't leave in a better state than he entered- he ran out of ammo for the handgun, and katrina's attack has a lot of potential ramifications. I'll be interested to see his reaction to getting the award, and more importantly, the food. He'll definately appreciate a nice meal after all that he went thru. All the kids do, honestly, but justin especially.

I'll nominate bda to sunnybunny for sakurako! I really love her last attempts to joke, compared to her more cynical jnner thoughts.

''By letting the class whittle each other down, the world had rejected them. All their potential, hopes, and dreams.''

I feel like Sakurako is sort of... wise, almost? I don't know how to describe it but her death has this unique feeling of comfort, emotion amd wisdom to me.

This vote has been disqualified due to duplication. In addition it must be resubmitted with clear notation of which of Justin Greene's kills it is for before providing reasoning.
oh wow im crying

Post by oh wow im crying »

I would give justin greene for the bka! I really enjoyed the dynamic and the action- his desperation, versus Katrina's determination to live. Although he did get the water and supplies from the bag, it feels lke he didn't leave in a better state than he entered- he ran out of ammo for the handgun, and katrina's attack has a lot of potential ramifications. I'll be interested to see his reaction to getting the award, and more importantly, the food. He'll definately appreciate a nice meal after all that he went thru. All the kids do, honestly, but justin especially.

I'll nominate bda to sunnybunny for sakurako! I really love her last attempts to joke, compared to her more cynical jnner thoughts.

''By letting the class whittle each other down, the world had rejected them. All their potential, hopes, and dreams.''

I feel like Sakurako is sort of... wise, almost? I don't know how to describe it but her death has this unique feeling of comfort, emotion amd wisdom to me.

This vote has been disqualified due to duplication. In addition it must be resubmitted with clear notation of which of Justin Greene's kills it is for before providing reasoning.
Shug Avery

Post by Shug Avery »

For both Best Kill Award and Best Death Award, I'm voting for the death of Sakurako Jackson at the hands of Justin Greene. My god, what a great scene all around. Saku, Justin, and Ace are three of my favorite V7 characters, and this was such a meeting of the giants. The fight was really cool and stood out amongst some really great deaths this month, but I think it's the death scene that really sold it for me. Saku and Ace have such a chemistry and their conversation, punctuated with Outkast references, made it feel like two people who had been on a journey were really at the end of it. Maybe they'll meet again at the crossroads, but for now, this was such a great parting, that I give probs to all the handlers involved.
accidentaldulplicate

Post by accidentaldulplicate »

I would give justin greene for killing Katrina Lavell for the bka! I really enjoyed the dynamic and the action- his desperation, versus Katrina's determination to live. Although he did get the water and supplies from the bag, it feels lke he didn't leave in a better state than he entered- he ran out of ammo for the handgun, and katrina's attack has a lot of potential ramifications. I'll be interested to see his reaction to getting the award, and more importantly, the food. He'll definately appreciate a nice meal after all that he went thru. All the kids do, honestly, but justin especially.

I feel like Sakurako is sort of... wise, almost? I don't know how to describe it but her death has this unique feeling of comfort, emotion and wisdom to me.
huyitigjk

Post by huyitigjk »

BDA: Nick
The staging for this scene was great and really enjoyable. we really don't often see this knd of thing where someone's facing the bullets and doesn't go for the heroic option and instead just let's themselves be killed. He wasn't a doormat or anything more that he was being as brave as he could for Katelynne and Marco. The tension was really high and the scene was paced really well. great work, but especially to Goose for being the leading man.

BKA: Arizona

really hard for me to pick between Marceline and Arizona here. Marceline is the other side of the scene I just talked about and she sold it super well too. She made the scene as much as Nick did.

For Arizona though, she as just terrifying and scary. She was this deadly force and the staging there was really interesting too because for all that she's sort of the hero in those circumstances, things made it pretty clear that she wasn't this avenger either, not really. It was cold-blooded, but that was what made it such a riveting read. Last lines were ice cold too. Just saying no, and then shooting him? Damn.

PS credit to Kermit for Michael's side too. Again, these scenes take two (or more) to create and both killers and diers did great.
DUPY

Post by DUPY »

BKA: Arizona for Michael. Brutal. That's all there is to it. Michael tried to play his head games with Arizona to pull her into the fucked up world he'd been living in and she consistently cut through right down to dunking on his last requests. Her presence alone did more damage than the Pancor has in its own career.

BDA: Kermit For Michael. Props to Kermit on his side as well though. I liked being taken through how surreal Michael's selfishness is, and the repeated pulls to try and get Arizona to play his game came off as pathetic in all the right ways. It's a really solid example of letting your kid be an on-brand bad person.
Late vote

Post by Late vote »

Bka: Diego larrosa for the death of Henry sparks - kills were all really good this time around, but I'd like to reward the ingenuity to pull off a death via explosion, which we haven't seen a lot of in v7 yet. Shiola and Mara also have really wonderful scene chemistry, which we've seen a few times already and this is no different. Diego just keeps getting better and better as time goes by and he's become one of my favourite characters to watch as the game winds down.

Bda: super hard to choose from this time. I'm going to go with kermit for Michael Froese. I like that Michael stays true to his character the whole way through and he doesn't find the relief he's looking for even as the bullet enters his face. A great character met their end here.
2ndtolastdeathtrain

Post by 2ndtolastdeathtrain »

Hi hello

My BKA goes to Arizona and my BDA goes to Michael for the same scene. On Arizona's end, the prose is just incredibly good at building atmosphere, at giving a sense of menace and ***inexorability***, so to speak. On Michael's end, I like how the mask slips just a little here, and I just really really appreciate the layers going on in this scene. The scene itself is also tightly written, and it's just a really nice culmination of the whole arc involving both of them. Want to give a shoutout to Garren too, his part in all of this was just stellar and I thought his death was just a really nice wrap up of his redemption arc.
Under the Wire

Post by Under the Wire »

In at the last second!!

BKA: Arizona

I love how concise and clear this one is. It's a great show of how much can be said with how little and coupled with her prior thread does a great job of bringing this chapter to a close. I love her determination and supernatural quality before returning back to normal and processing her emotions immediately after.

BDA: MICHAEL
I wasn't as sure on this one. I think this is a great closer to his story that layers a lot of his different issues on top of each other and brings them al back around to a tidy close for him. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't love how Arizona clashes against his philosophizing that crashes down at the very end.

SHOUTOUTS: Nick and Diego!

Return to “Contest Voting”