V7 BKA/BDA Voting: October 2019

Each month, SOTF hosts various contests on the site, the most notable of which are the Best Kill and Best Death contests. Winners of said contests receive prizes that will be beneficial to either their character or themselves. Voting for these contests will take place here!
backslash

V7 BKA/BDA Voting: October 2019

Post by backslash »

Welcome to voting for the Best Kill and Best Death Awards for V7! As a refresher:

1. In this thread, you may post as an anonymous guest to select one student to receive the day's Best Kill Award, and one handler to receive the Best Death Award. Prizes will be given out in-character for BKA, consisting of a weapon and food, and out-of-character for BDA, consisting of a quote from their character to be displayed on the board index until the next BDA is awarded.
2. You may only vote while logged out. You can identify yourself in your vote if you want, but you may not claim to be another handler.
3. You may only vote once, and you may not vote for yourself in either category. Staff can see IP addresses, and we will check them if we have reason to suspect shenanigans.
4. You must provide reasoning with your vote for why you think your choices deserve the award. Votes with no reasoning will not be counted.
5. Don't be a jerk. You can explain why some scenes are your favorites without tearing others down.
6. Make sure that your answers are clear; please don't use any formatting that might cause votes to be miscounted or left out.
7. Please be sure to read every kill and death before voting, please vote for your genuine favorites rather than just voting for your friends, and please don't campaign for awards in the chat or otherwise try to influence the vote.

With that out of the way, here are your Best Kill and Best Death contestants:

BEST KILL AWARD:
Violet Schmidt for killing Layla DeBerg
Lorenzo Tavares for killing Emil Van Zandt III
Marco Volker for killing Arjen Kramer (Attack, Death Thread)
Quinn Abert for killing Stepney Cruz
Adonis Cohen for killing Tristan O’Hara
Justin Greene for killing Mackenzie Baker
Quinn Abert for killing Liberty “Bert” Wren
Angie Cortez for killing Ramsey Cortez
Apollonia "Nia" Karahalios for killing William “Bill” Dover
Blaise D’Aramitz for killing Joanne Coleman
Erika Stieglitz for killing Saffron Fields
Zachary Beck for killing Brandon Murphy
Erika Stieglitz for killing Oliver Lacroix
Quinn Abert for killing Richard Smith

BEST DEATH AWARD:
MK Kilmarnock for the death of Cheridene Williams
Sh4de for the death of Layla DeBerg
Toxie for the death of Emil Van Zandt III
Sh4de for the death of Arjen Kramer
Pippi for the death of Stepney Cruz
Sansa for the death of Tristan O’Hara
Blastinus for the death of Mackenzie Baker
MethodicalSlacker for the death of Liberty “Bert” Wren
Jilly for the death of Ramsey Cortez
Skraal for the death of William “Bill” Dover
Maraoone for the death of Joanne Coleman
Aura for the death of Saffron Fields
Ohm for the death of Brandon Murphy
Skraal for the death of Oliver Lacroix
VoltTurtle for the death of Richard Smith

Voting will run for five days. Votes will remain hidden until time is up, and the winners will be declared in the following announcement.
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
Dr. Guest

Post by Dr. Guest »

BKA: Zach for shooting Brandon

Zach has been an interesting character for a lot of reasons, but his most recent thread has had me vibing with him to a greater degree than in a while. While he's tried to talk himself up as a driven survivalist, as he told his friends before ditching them, there's more going on than meets the eye. Here, we see the tension between wanting to do what's pragmatic and on some level wanting to help others. While Zach's initial gunning-down of Brandon as the boy flees is a panicked reflex, I really appreciate that Ryuki didn't let it rest there. Seeing what he's done, Zach has a decision to make, and he chooses to embrace responsibility for his actions and finish Brandon off. It's a pivotal moment for Zach, leaving him with a number of paths to follow, and interestingly building a good case for any of them--he acted sort of out of something approximating benevolence, yes, but at the same time what he did to Brandon was pretty darn cold.

BDA: Sh4de for Arjen

This round had a whole lot of cool deaths, but I have to give the nod to the one I expected least and least wanted to be true. Arjen was a character who intrigued and resonated with me throughout his time in the game for a lot of reasons, but the biggest was that he was ultimately a normal guy woefully unequipped for SOTF. Time and again, he said and did exactly the wrong thing in brutally believable ways, all they way up through his final confrontation with Marco, in which the other boy seemed to practically be begging Arjen to give him reasons not to engage in brutal revenge, only for Arjen to yet again fumble and screw up. And then came the cliff kick. Falling into water from a height and miraculously surviving is a time-honored SOTF tradition, and it first this seemed to be more of the usual. When Arjen washed up in a new thread, I was waiting for the kicker, for him to get up.

And then he didn't.

I should've known better. Arjen was ill-equipped for the game, mentally and physically, and above all else he rang true. Many characters could've taen that plunge and stood a chance to wriggle free in time, but Arjen was always about messing up at the last second, failing in the most human and real ways, and so while he will be sorely missed, his death is a perfect thematic capstone to his game.
just your valentine

Post by just your valentine »

My vote for BKA goes to Nia Karahalios. Her narrative trappings of being extremely meticulous and detailed remain consistent but in a very morbid and twisted way- Nia's always come off as slightly emotionally void, and it thus translates into her making the decision to kill and desecrate the body thereafter like... incredibly well. The natural cadence of her thoughts remains consistent, turning her actions into something cold and almost reasonable but like, sans the actual reasoning. The motive is still a bit obscured, which I always like if it's done right, as it is in this case. Well detailed, intense death with a strong characterization that at once humanizes and totally dehumanizes Nia.

BDA goes to Joanne Coleman. Mara's perpetually criminally underrated because he has a knack for writing intense, captivatingly detailed content without ever overstepping and messing up the ability to parse posts due to overwriting. It's always just enough. Joanne stood out in spite of her lack of actually ever doing anything, and I love the narrative spin thrown onto the very last post. We start with something more typical of her, defiant, sort of pushing past her established character deficiencies with her attempts to get the last word in despite her impending death. Then the reversal- she collapses back into her depressed, self-loathing black hole of a self, but entirely disconnected from the outside world. Final disappointment, but abstracted in a way that makes it come off as a sort of addendum to her life rather than directly attached? Also I love format screw in general.
FloppyFeet

Post by FloppyFeet »

Best Kill Award: My vote this month goes to Quinn Abert for killing Stepney Cruz. It's a brutal death, and the suddenness of it is great. Quinn placates Step and then goes forth to just absolutely end him before he can do anything. The followup is also pretty morbid, and I think the terrorists will love that bit of creativity from her.

Best Death Award: My vote goes to Maraoone for the death of Joanne Coleman. I think it's a clever meta death but that stays in line with Joanne's character. You can easily look at it as a silly, final death, but there's still a bit of sadness and tragedy to it. I think it's effective, so I think Mara should win for this month.
aaaaaaaaa

Post by aaaaaaaaa »

Best Kill: Quinn for killing Stepney. Quinn continues to be a really interesting villain, and her varying levels of violence and the reasons either stated or implied behind each attack fascinate me. Stepney's death really seems to go above and beyond as an escalation, but most of the real violence happens after he's already dead, and the kills preceding and following it don't come close. It's honestly kind of a weird scene for Quinn compared to her other kills, and I like it for that.

Best Death: Maraoone for Joanne. I've warmed up to this one after revisiting it, and upon review I think it's pretty fun and kind of clever. Joanne's been struggling with not losing herself in the situation she's been thrown into, and having her death post pull back completely like that actually fits really well.
backslash

Post by backslash »

Just over 24 hours to get votes in!
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
late vote

Post by late vote »

BKA: Erika for killing Oliver
Reason: While just a gunshot death, the agony and the real disgusting way that Oliver bites the dust are memorable and Erika's own reaction coupled with that of Oliver are enough for me to give this the nod.

BDA: Skraal for Oliver
Reason: Similarly to the above, Oliver's resigned agony and last few moments with a shot-off face are the things that chills are made of. So it gets my vote, same reasons as the above. This whole death gave me the willies.

Post by Guest »

BKA: Lorenzo Tavares

I still think there's more to Lorenzo than what we've seen already and I liked his reaction to his actions and the graphic nature of the kill brought it home. He acts before he really thinks and the cost of that flaw played out really well.

BDA: Saffron Fields

With an honourable mention to Pip for the death of Katie Agustien, I found their deaths genuinely moving and the execution of the scene went in a way more interesting direction than I thought it would. Sad and bittersweet in the best way.

Post by Guest »

DED: Joanne

Joanne complete fav, has, 100 emoji

I loved this scene. I thought the set up with Blaise was very clever and I liked Joanne’s character shining through with her convinced that her wrong, but brave decision is the only one she could live with, additionally Mara is great at keeping her consistent post adoption while also giving her an entertaining voice. The finale tying in to her awareness of the situation and her dreams of an English degree is a great meta moment that is both emotional and a joy to read.

SHOUT OUTS: Saffron/Katie (though she’s ineligible) for their lover’s death, Ramsey, Emil dying with his face hanging off and Cheri and Sakurako

KILL: Nia

Another great scene. I thought that this did a wonderful job of conveying how broken down Nia was by the island to drive her to this point. Brutally violent at the end but with purpose as she tests her new weapon and takes out her anguish. GW

SHOUT OUTS: Erika’s great sniping scene, Justin having the worst morning after talk, Blaise’s bird trap
Sluts for Danya

Post by Sluts for Danya »

Hello!

BKA vote goes to Nia Karahalios for the kill on Bill Dover. I thought it was a really cool, chilling scene and was a good, simple death done right. Nia really gives me the spooks.

BDA vote goes to Saffron Fields and vicariously to Katie Agustien, since they're both tied together. Everyone played their part in this scene very well, but Saffron and Katie's final moments together really sends me on a feels trip, so I have to reward that along with the guts for doing an unrolled death on Aura's part. Good work, guys!
dlymbd

Post by dlymbd »

BKA: Justin Greene. This whole scene is just... tense, even when you know what's inevitably going to happen. It's a simple setup, the naive member of the group lets their guard down around the killer and basically causes their own demise by being too trusting, but it works so well because Justin is such a compelling character. His questions about his own morality and how much that matters, how he really seems to care about Mackenzie even as he kills her, his awkward confrontation with Meka after the fact, it's just a really good scene, and I wanna see how Justin copes going forward with an intentional murder under his belt and with his name again on the announcements.

Honorable mentions go to Lorenzo for some real fucked up violence, to Quinn for the whole scene with Bert straight out of a horror movie, and to Blaise because the whole confrontation with Joanne is just... fun feels like the wrong word but it's still the one I'm going with.

BDA: Joanne Coleman. Speaking of that scene, it's fascinating how Joanne is the arbiter of her own demise here; against Blaise, whose kills up until now have all been mostly proactive, Joanne attempts to take the initiative in stopping them while they apparently sleep. The ending is inevitable, but Joanne shows why she's such a compelling character in the lead up, refusing to give in, fighting to the last and talking shit until her last breath. Plus the artsy meta qualities of her death post are super appealing to me personally.

Honorable mentions go to Tristan, Stepney and Ramsey for all making me make big sad faces.
burpaderp

Post by burpaderp »

BKA: Justin Greene. Fucking killer atmosphere and build up on this one, it's good to see Justin sink into being a killer for real while still having tinges of regret about him. Damn creepy stuff.

BDA: Pippin for Stepney Cruz. Pip does a great job of portraying the sudden violence turning to inevitability of this death, and while the real morbid stuff isn't coming until after his post what we see from his perspective is visceral. The way his ending thoughts focus on objects and aesthetics helps tie up his perspective neatly.
Drunkcula

Post by Drunkcula »

BKA: Blaise D’Aramitz for killing Joanne Coleman because Blaise was a duick about it and had to make Joanne feel bad first. It's like... when the Bond villains lecture James Bond before he escapes but Blaise makes sure Bond can't escape. Because she's like. Dying. Shouting out to Joanne as well. Meta good and fun.

BDA: Skraal for the death of William “Bill” Dover because you don't get a lot of people who are religious and stick to it til death, and his peace with the whole thing left a huge note with me. He hoped his killer finds peace? That's sensational and not something you ate going to see every day. It was almost sweet.
DEATHTRAINDEATHTRAIN

Post by DEATHTRAINDEATHTRAIN »

BKA: Nia Karahalios for killing Bill Dover
- Nia's inner thoughts as she kills Bill (haha get it because kill bill directed by quentin tarantino 2003-) are fascinating, horrifying, and heartbreaking to read. Throughout her narrative, she's used rationality as a coping mechanism, as a way to get the world to make sense as she goes through the chaos that is SOTF. And as the world breaks down around her, as she finds out that literally everyone she's cared about on the island is dead, she doubles down on this logic, resulting in the scene we have here.

She dressed up hammering Bill's corpse in the face, catharsis, anger at the fact he lived longer than her friends, as an experiment to test how forceful the hammer is. She shoots him in the leg, lets him suffer for a few more seconds, to see at what point a dying person gives up. It is chilling, chilling stuff, which is why this gets my BKA.

BDA: Saffron Fields
- i'm sad and i'm suing everyone involved in this scene

A couple dying in each other's arms is basically guaranteed to be heartbreaking, but Aura and Pip really milked the scene out in a way that feels genuine and not overwrought. The little details, like the life they were supposed to live together, really make it for me. Also kudos to Shiola for the genius set-up of this scene.

Return to “Contest Voting”