Freedom is a fleeting dream, an ephemeral hope, a transient wish in the wind.

Day 2, post-announcement, 11AM-ish. Open.

Built not long after the community's arrival on the island, the lighthouse was never realistically going to last very long. Requiring many renovations during its lifespan due to less-than-stellar construction practices, the lighthouse eventually met its end during the same storm that capsized the yacht. Now its interior is exposed to the elements with only what's left of its wooden walls able to shield those who seek shelter inside.
CondorTalon

Post by CondorTalon »

Why were people asking her all these questions?!

Better question... why were people?

She didn't know the answer to the question, and now it had been asked to her twice. Her eyes looked to the newcomers, before they narrowed. She wasn't sure of the identity of the girl right in front, with the blue streaks of hair, but she recognized the girl behind her.

Willow. And unless something changed in the last half-a-day, that meant the girl in front had to have been Sierra, right?

Great. They were being robbed. Keyword being 'were', because upon seeing the bodies on the floor, the girl's will seemed to have faltered.

"I suppose we'll find out tomorrow or something," Catherine said flatly. She rubbed at her eyes a bit, as she felt a prickle of tears threatening to form. She didn't need that. Not here. But it was enough to remind her of the gravity of the situation.

She felt like... she felt like snapping back at Sierra and Willow, but she needed to stop herself. They were already so close to being robbed here, and acerbic remarks weren't going to help her stay on the safe side of the line.

More importantly, they weren't going to help with the plan.

"Look," she said, "We're trying to get the bodies out of here. Are you going to help us?"

Or no?

It was this close to coming out of her mouth, but she stopped herself.
Melusine

Post by Melusine »

"Mhmmm," Willow looked at the bodies. They looked fucking nasty and most of them were in a disgusting state. She didn't want to touch them, but she could manage something. There were things that were adding up and it just didn't make sense. Willow was quite curious about their current state - both the living and dead.

"I'm totally down with helping you guys," she walked toward one of the bodies. It was a girl's. She lifted the arm and it was stiff. She immediately let it fall to the ground about two times before standing back up. It sent shudders down her spine. Willow didn't know if there was something else she should know about this.

"However," Willow said after biting her lips. She looked at Katrina. Willow wanted to talk to her more than ever. "Katrina."

The girl was on the announcement. She had killed Yuki's sister. Willow wanted to know more about her. Both out of morbid curiosity but also to fix something that was bugging her. A little thing that Willow hated was liars. If your lie was bad enough to be caught then it shouldn't be said, and that was the only thing that bothered her right now. Well, other than the stench.

"We have to talk."
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Katrina didn't get her answer from Catherine. Before she could understand this massacre, the door swung open and two more girls walked in. The first, with blue streaks in her hair, was holding a gun and demanding an explanation. Katrina realized she was Sierra. She was supposed to be the kind of girl who would physically fight people back home. Katrina definitely didn't want to get in a fight with her, weapon draw notwithstanding.

She especially didn't want to get in a fight with the other girl. The girl with Sierra was covered in blood and duct tape, and was holding two pretty gnarly looking weapons. Even though Katrina now had both hands grasping the nodachi, she could barely move or do anything. These girls had clearly been through a lot, and Katrina was probably going to die if she did anything they didn't like.

Catherine seemed a lot more calm about the situation and better at negotiating. Katrina kept her head down and tried to not look at them. She asked the girls to help with the bodies, and the bloody girl seemed okay with that. Unfortunately, that girl clearly had things she needed to hear from Katrina. Katrina swallowed the lump in her throat.

"Okay..." she said.

Katrina felt her throat clench again. She looked up at the girl.

"What do you want to talk about?"

Katrina was pretty sure she knew what the girl wanted to talk about, but she was willing to believe it had something to do with anything but what happened yesterday.
TheLordOfAwesome

Post by TheLordOfAwesome »

Sierra silently looked over the bodies, registering just what she was looking and trying to identify who they were. It was one thing to learn of someone's death over a loudspeaker, it was quite another to see their actual corpse. In a way it felt like the time she went hunting with her father and he killed that elk. It was a disquieting experience, especially when she recognized the body of Mikki Swift among the corpses. While the two weren't close or even talked to each other, Sierra was very familiar with who she was due to all the parties the two had attended. It felt weird to try and come to terms with the fact that a klot of these people she knew and saw on an almost daily basis are gone forever and she'll never see them again.

She stared down at the dead body, the weight of the gun growing heavy in her arms. Why did this have to happen? Why did anyone have to die? She had done some bad things while here on the island, hurt and stole from people, but she never resorted to murder. But that didn't stop others it would seem. People had gone out of their way to kill others. Beryl, Dante, Yuko, Mikki. Why did any of them had to die? She knew the reason obvious reason — the terrorists want them to and stacked the deck to ensure it. But she wanted to know why they want them to. What purpose did all this even serve?

Her vision began to blur as tears welled up in her eyes as she thought about the deaths, now made all too real in her mind by the sight of the corpses in front of her. Did this happen to Beryl and Dante? Just left to rot in some decaying building or in a ditch somewhere for birds to peck at? It was difficult to keep her emotions in check and maintain a composed exterior, but the tears in her eyes gave away the inner pain she was feeling.

"Y-Yeah," she croaked out. She cleared her throat before continuing. "I'll give you a hand."

She slung her gun over her shoulder and looked to Catherine, wiping the tears from her eyes on her arm.

"Right, just tell me what to do."
CondorTalon

Post by CondorTalon »

Willow wanted to have words with Katrina (so it was, Katrina, then). It wasn't really a stretch to guess what about. But whatever, it didn't really matter to Catherine. As long as they helped with the plan and weren't trying to hurt her, she was fine with whatever happened. The bodies needed to be moved. That was all.

"Just need them moved outside, near the shore," she said.

Needed? It wasn't needed, she admitted that, but it felt wrong to not do this. So in a way, yeah, maybe needed was the right word. She moved over to Mikki's body.

"I thought that... thought that we shouldn't just leave them here. C-Can't just leave them here... a-and..." she started. Her voice caught a bit. She breathed in and continued, "I thought that... maybe, we could bury them, but..." she shook her head, "N-No, that would take too long. I was... going to... going to... l-like, you know that thing where people are laid to rest at sea? I thought... I-I thought that..."

She was breaking up. She could feel the tears starting to flow from her eyes. Catherine stopped talking, wiping her eyes. She couldn't let herself crack like this.

"F-For now... just outside," she says, lifting the body up by its arms.
Melusine

Post by Melusine »

"That's..." she stopped herself, she wasn't a robot wearing human skin. At least, not yet. "...really sweet, actually. That's really nice of you, Catherine."

Willow wanted to say something about doing the same to her, but it was the wrong time. Maybe she'd have the time to say it on her dying bed, whatever it would be, but now, the ceremony wasn't about her. Willow couldn't help but smile. There was still humanity on the island, even if she had lost all of it before this even started.

"Sorry but," she crossed her arms, "me and Kat have to talk in private, but I'll help after, so don't worry about it, okay?"

Yes, she would help. Perhaps a little more than she would have liked at first, but because of Catherine's reasoning that surprisingly struck a heart chord. She didn't think she could react like that to a statement from a classmate she barely knew. There were other issues she had to address before helping out with the burial-at-sea.

Willow looked at Sierra. She was affected. Willow finally saw a hole in her armor. She liked that, but she couldn't think about it too long, or else she would forget the important part. Willow put her weapons back into her bag before setting her hand on Sierra's shoulder. She felt warm, and Willow wanted more, but she stopped herself.

"You're okay with that? It won't take long and then I'll be all yours."

The genuine concern in her voice could be heard through the shakiness and the hesitation. It wasn't scripted. She wished it was.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Katrina sighed a bit and turned away from the girls. While Catherine and Sierra were discussing the bodies, Katrina knew she was about to be grilled by the other girl. That girl, who Katrina now remembered as Willow, looked like the kind of person who was probably going to turn violent on her depending on her actions. She didn't know what happened to Willow to make her that bloody and battered, but it couldn't have been good.

Still, Katrina knew that, if Willow was going to be angry and vicious for her because of Yuko's death, the best she could do was do whatever she could to not antagonize her too much.

Katrina wandered around the lighthouse room and sat down on a crate. She laid her bags on the floor near her feet and laid the sword across her lap.

"Willow, I'm ready if you are," Katrina said.

Katrina exhaled. This was going to be really hard to get through, so she hoped Willow would go easy on her.
TheLordOfAwesome

Sierra nodded to Catherine. It sounded easy enough. It was rather nice of her to respect the dead and make sure they get a proper burial, and Willow seemed to agree. She supposed she'd have to do that if she ever found Beryl or Dante. Any of her friends, really. They didn't deserve to rot on the ground, exposed to the elements.

She looked at Willow who expressed concern to her and Sierra couldn't help but smile a little, and nodded to her. If she needed some time to air her grievances with Katrina then that was fair. She had no idea if she was close to Yuko or not, but she could understand if she needed to confront her killer. However, there were certain dangerous with leaving Willow to her own devices but there wasn't much she could do at the present moment.

"Yeah, okay, that's fine." she said as she pulled away to go help Catherine. "Don't cause any trouble, Willow. Please."

She leaned down and took Mikki's legs, helping Catherine lift the body from the cold, blood stained floor. Sierra's expression twisted as he exerted to help lift the corpse. Once the body was securely held between the two of them, Sierra nodded to Catherine to let her know she was ready to move out with the body.
CondorTalon

Post by CondorTalon »

Well, Willow and Katrina were going to go off and have some... uh, girl talk... which meant that it was just going to be Sierra helping her out.

Well.

In fact Catherine had words for Sierra as well, but she needed to think about her priorities. Sierra was no longer holding her up, but a few remarks could change that.

Who knew. Maybe after she'd finished with all of these bodies, she would air out her grievances. Maybe she owed it to Marco. It felt... well, it felt like it would eat her up on the inside if she didn't get some sort of closure on his behalf.

Maybe she was just being stupid.

It didn't matter.

Catherine returned Sierra's nod and the two of them began the solemn process of bringing the body out to the shore. No words were said as they left the building and moved to the water's edge.
Melusine

Post by Melusine »

((Godmodded allowed and partly written by Laurels.))

Willow didn't answer Katrina's question. She didn't need to. The lack of an answer was perhaps the most telling thing she could do. Instead, she bent over and started picking up items. There were water bottles, food, clothes, personal items. She just picked up everything she could think that could be useful. With this, she probably wouldn't need to steal again, unless she was robbed. Then, she would just have to find someone else.

"So, you really killed Yuko?" Willow was quiet. She turned her head toward Katrina. The girl dodged her stare, yet there weren't any daggers or arms in Willow's gaze.

"Yes." Katrina's voice was also quiet.

"Why?"

"We were all hiding in a house when Tyrell came running in, covered in blood. We were all afraid of him and wanted him to go, but it all went wrong. He started attacking us and managed to overpower and shoot Felix. I ran into another room before he could shoot me."

Katrina obviously looked upset. Something about her voice, how she avoided eye contact, and how she simply told the story. It was interesting. Willow was glad she had managed to find her.

"I was going to leave, but I knew I wouldn't get away in time, so I hid behind a door in order to surprise and kill him. He stopped firing, so I thought he had killed everyone. He even called out for me, like he was trying to hunt me down specifically. So when I heard someone coming, I jumped out and swung down, thinking it was him. I didn't want to kill him, but I thought I had no other choice, especially if everyone else was already dead."

Willow already knew how it ended, but she didn't interrupt Katrina. For some reason, perhaps because of their predicament, she just wanted to find something wrong about her statement. Something she could hunt down, a reason to go at her.

"But it was Yuko instead. I thought she was Ty, but I killed her instead. I was able to escape after that, but it sounds like he left Demetri and Charelle alive. I should have just tried harder to get out instead of thinking that someone like me could kill him. Then maybe Yuko would be alive."

And yet, there were none. Willow looked away. She continued her way toward Katrina whilst cherry-picking her findings before Sierra got her hands on them.

"OK." Willow answered quietly. "I was there earlier. I mean. I woke up near Felix and Charelle." That was something Katrina couldn't make up. Well, yes, she could, but the Ariana Grande ‘copykat’ couldn't quite come up with a plan like that. It wasn't because she was dumb, she was just not omniscient.

"But then, why did the announcement said that you 'tested' your weapon on Yuko?"

"I don't know. She wasn't even the first person I hurt with it."

Katrina quickly glanced up at Willow.

"Which was Tyrell, just to be clear," she quickly said, her voice full of worry.

Willow giggled. That was a real genuine comment coming from Katrina. It was an interesting ad lib, a very telling and constructive one. The little building blocks of the mystery started to pile up, and the figure in the distance suddenly got closer.

Katrina’s story became a background piece of the scene. It was, without a doubt, an important set piece, but it lacked physical evidence. Willow wanted to touch the proof, to feel it, to believe it. Katrina’s words just couldn’t sway Willow entirely. They did push her toward one side of the argument - an argument that Willow didn’t quite understand herself - but it wasn’t enough to create an irrefutable truth about their situation.

The body before her was what she wanted. Once again, she bent down. This time, however, wasn’t to gather resources, but evidence. It was a very tangible human skull that refuses to be buried.

"I think..." Willow’s face became blank again. The smile from her laugh left, and it was replaced by two beads staring at the bloody scene. She grabbed the boy's arm.

"What's the word? Vigor Mortis? Rigor Mortis? When dead people get stiff after a while, what's the medical term? I know Miss Zhi Yan told me, but I kinda forgot."
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Katrina wasn't sure if telling Willow everything that happened would make anything better. It wasn't like Willow was the priest at her church and she was going in for confession. Willow had her questions, and Katrina did whatever she could to come off as honest. After all, there wasn't much to lie about. Yuko's death was an accident, even if the announcement did paint Katrina has much more vicious than she was.

At the very least, Willow seemed to believe what she said. Well, Katrina wasn't entirely sure. Katrina had that minor slip-up that almost made it sound like she had attacked other people before killing Yuko. But Willow knew about Felix and Charelle, so that probably helped Katrina more. At the very least, that might allow Willow to see the chain of events that would explain Felix and Yuko being close together on the announcement. Katrina had to hope so.

However, Willow's attention seemed to be on the dead boy more than anything else. She was touching the boy's arm and talking about medical terms.

"It's 'rigor mortis'," Katrina explained. "That's the term. You had it right."

Why was Willow talking about the period of time where dead bodies go stiff? Was she suspecting Katrina killed the boy and the other victims in the lighthouse? Did she think Catherine killed them? Or was it some roundabout way to go back to talking about Yuko?

Katrina felt nervous, swallowing a lump in her throat and keeping her knees locked together.

"Um, why do you ask?"
CondorTalon

Post by CondorTalon »

((Skipping and GMing with permission.))

One down... well, two down. Two down, two to go. All they had to do was bring the other two bodies and they'd be done. It was fine that there was no conversation between them. In fact, it was better that way. Catherine wasn't for idle conversation, even in other, better situations. They just had to go in, take the two bodies out, maybe push the other two to finally help so they could bring out the other two bodies at the same time. Cut down on time.

Easy. Simple. They could do that with no fuss.

But something else was eating at her. Something that she was going to hold back on until the bodies were in the water. Something that was going to wait until everything else was done.

...But she couldn't just hold it in anymore.

"So. That's a nice gun. Where'd you get it?" Catherine asked. It was a bit of loaded question, and she knew it.

She just hoped that she hadn't read Sierra wrong. Otherwise, it could be the last mistake she would ever make.
Melusine

Post by Melusine »

Willow start waving her hands around her head, trying to get the flies she had triggered to go away. Whether or not the flies were real, the buzzing was, and it started to fill every each of her body. She had to get some fresh air.

"Sorry I'm just-" she giggled. It was a nervous laugh. She was incapable of keeping it inside of her. "Just trying to make sense of everything, you know?"

Suddenly, their situation became real. At first, it was a game. Then, it was an injury. Afterward, it was a robbery. The trials repeated themselves over and over, and Willow's mind hadn't quite set itself right. However, without any warnings, reality was dumped on her, and everything around her was shattering. People were dead, she was going to die, Katrina was going to die, and there wasn't much they could do about it other than wait or do it themselves. It made her gitty.

She hated to admit it, but she loved it. It was something about their daily reality being shattered against a brick wall, it made her feel good. She hated her normal life. Willow would probably drop out of college, find a dead-end job, then quit, and finally be on social welfare until she died. She hated it. Willow knew how it was going to end. She knew she was bound to kill herself, but this game changed that.

Her previous life's fragility drove her insane, yet this new one fascinated her. It would be ending on this island. She didn't know how, but she excited to see.

"We should get a body out so that the girls don't worry, haha."
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Katrina scratched the back of her neck, as much as she could with the collar around her throat, as she listened to Willow. Willow apparently didn't have a reason to talk about rigor mortis, other than just figuring out if that was the right term. Katrina wondered if this was just how Willow was handling all of this. Maybe making jokes or remembering science class was something that would be how she could get through the day. Katrina didn't have the best response to the island. She probably should have remembered some of her mom's motivational speaking. Maybe then she'd be less of a mess.

Willow suggested they move a body. Katrina sniffled and wiped the corners of her eyes.

"Yeah, we can do that," she said.

Katrina stood up from her place and set her bags down. She laid the sword on top of them. She didn't want to get too attached to a tool for destruction, especially when she had actual good she could do for the world.

"Um, should we start with him?" she asked, gesturing to the boy Willow was standing by.
TheLordOfAwesome

Silently Sierra had assisted Catherine in moving the corpse to the shore, her thoughts a storm within her mind. So much had happen within a short amount of time it was hard for her to properly process everything as she went through the motions. Whether or not Catherine could ascertain the thoughts that were swirling through Sierra's brain through her grim expression she did not know. With the body brought to its destination they only had a couple left, so Sierra turned to go back to the lighthouse.

...Then Catherine asked about the gun in a way that immediately made it clear that she knew exactly how Sierra acquired it.

Sierra stopped in her tracks and turned to look at Catherine. Well, that means she came across... whoever that guy was she took the gun from. Or that one guy who ran away. What were their names again? Didn't really matter she supposed, they weren't important. What was important was Catherine asking her here and now about the gun that she stole.

"Stole it," she stated bluntly with a shrug of her shoulders. No need to bullshit Catherine if she already knew how she got the gun. "Me and Willow came across some guy with it. Forget his name, not important. He had Kelly's bag — Kelly Nguyen, if you didn't know — so at the time I figured he might of stolen it. I'm sure you can piece together the rest of my train of thought behind my actions from there."

Sierra looked back in the direction of the lighthouse.

"Satisfied? Can we go back and get the rest?"

Return to “Ruined Lighthouse”