Don't Stray Off the Path

Day One/Two, Open Thread

The lower wilderness borders the village directly and is made up of thick collections of tropical trees. Due to the ease at which one can get lost or turned around in the wilderness it is recommended that people stick to the existing paths—or what’s left of them. Both patches of wilderness are also home to populations of monkeys, parrots, and goats descended from those originally kept in the menagerie.

Thread Limit: 2
MethodicalSlacker

Post by MethodicalSlacker »

Violet took a moment to stare at her hands. Her palms were covered in reddish brown barely dried blood. She hoped that she could find her way to some clean water so she could wash them off soon. It was bad to walk around with such an open invitation towards misfortune displayed like that. She stood up from the tree and wiped briefly at the blood on her face before looking down and seeing the bloodstains on her flannel. Violet frowned. She really liked this one.

Her hands moved to unbutton her shirt. She'd been meaning to do this anyways, she convinced herself, as she moved from button to button, barely taking any time with any of them. If she'd wanted to, she could have just tugged the shirt open. It was that hot out. Once the last button was open, she removed the flannel from her person and used it to wipe the bits of blood still on her face, patting instead of rubbing in the area closest to the bandage. She didn't want it to fall off. Underneath the flannel, she was wearing a white t-shirt.

Oh, right. Kyle asked her something. She dropped the flannel on the ground. Later, she'd get rid of it. That was alright. She had her robe.

"I want to find somewhere where I can lay down and sleep," Violet confessed, "it's been a long day, for me."

She ran a hand through her hair.

"I don't know about you, but I've been through a lot. Um, I mean, today."
Aura

Post by Aura »

Kyle's eyes were drawn towards Violet's hands. He hadn't been paying much attention to them, but now that he had a good look... yikes. What had happened to her? Whatever it was, it must have been pretty messy. Hopefully she was okay. Maybe that was why she hadn't been having a good day. Hopefully things could be a little bit better now that they had found each other.

"Somewhere to lie down?" Kyle repeated Violet's words in the form of a question. He reached into his bag and pulled out his map. "I think that we can probably find something on here." He started scanning the map in search of somewhere they could go. There was actually a decent variety of locations, but he was having a hard time choosing. He held the map up to Violet and offered a friendly question. "Hey, do you see anywhere on here that looks okay?"

He handed her the map as the two of them walked away from the rest of the group, and off into the wilderness.

(Kyle Harrison continued elsewhere...)
MethodicalSlacker

Post by MethodicalSlacker »

"It looks like there are a lot of options," Violet said, taking the map by the corner that was furthest from Kyle's hand, "let's get walking, and then we can find whatever looks best."

She reached down and picked up her bags, holding the map in her mouth as she scooped one bag up on each shoulder. The flannel would just kind of stay there. Someone else could take it. Why wait until later to get rid of it when she could get rid of it now? Disposing of bloody garments wasn't the worst idea in the world, not at all.

She was aware that this once was a group and did not care. She found someone who could help her, and now they were helping her. That was fine, right? It didn't seem like the group was doing much else than sulking, anyways. Violet didn't even pay them a glance as she walked off with Kyle into the trees in search of shelter.

Nor did she pay them a thought.

[Violet Schmidt continued in The Praise and Glory.]
[+] Recommended Reading Order
—The Heaven Panel—

Image / Image - G051: Lili Williams: 1. Kidnapped from her school trip and thrown into a horrific death game, Lili wanders the wasteland in search of her past life before it slides away from her for good.

Meanwhile 1. From Here On Out [Complete] Marie Bernstein eats ice cream with her friend and gets a text message.

Image / Image - B043: Arthur Bernstein: 2. Arthur watches the waters from the beach, knowing that their presence spells death. Seeking his sister's comfort, he takes up the spear and walks alongside another.

Meanwhile 2. Colorless [Complete] A family reunion under less than ideal circumstances. When trying to unravel the mystery of her brother's death at the hands of esoteric serial terrorists, Marie discovers more than she bargained for.

——The Earth Panel——

𝄇

Image - G026: Liberty "Bert" Wren: 3. It is happening again. To make things right, Bert must understand where things went wrong.

Image - B049: Max Rudolph: 4. The words we use to construct our realities often also make up the links in our chains. Fleeing a vision, Max builds his most elaborate prison yet.

Image - B032: Lucas Diaz: 5. A life lived through the views of others. In pursuit of revenge and his own death, Lucas Diaz interrupts the falling of many dominos.

Meanwhile 3. Because We Love You [Complete] Selections from a Google Drive, never to be logged into again.

Meanwhile 4. The Lines We Draw [Complete] In the process of collecting his brother's memories, Milo Diaz has a fitful morning.

Image - G007: Violet Schmidt: 6. The stars in the night sky do not make pictures. Breathing on both sides of the water, Violet Schmidt journeys to escape the confines of her own mind, and her reality.

Meanwhile 5. Years of Pilgrimage [???] Dana Schmidt is dreaming.

Meanwhile 6. Colorless II [Ongoing] Charlie Bernstein returns to the desert and finds it empty.

Meanwhile 7. Writing the Enigma [Ongoing] Randy Rudolph provides lodgings for Marie Bernstein as she investigates Survival of the Fittest, the city of Chattanooga, and the meaning of water.
———The Hell Panel———

𝄌
¿

[+] Other Threads
Virtual Pilgrimage: Exploring the Pregame Cities of SOTF
blastinus

Post by blastinus »

(Sorry for breaking post order with a really crappy short post, but I'd like to get the thread back on track and avoid inactivity)

Mackenzie was startled to find that Kyle wasn't there. She'd left the group to gather some sticks for a campfire. Couldn't have been more than 10-15 minutes, and yet he was missing, without even a word. What had happened in that brief instance to suddenly cause him to run off?

Billy was there at least. That was something. Walking up to him, her arms loaded with kindling, she asked, "Where'd he go? Did he..."

She didn't know what she was fishing for there. Did he abandon them? Did he get kidnapped and taken away? She was so confused right now, and the more things happened, the less she seemed to know about anything. All she wanted was for the world to slow down for a second and give her a chance to breathe.
Maraoone

Post by Maraoone »

Trees were pretty and all, but they were just sticks and leaves that weren't even swaying right now. Somehow less entertaining than watching paint dry, or listening to Mr. Terrance drone on about a squared! plus b squared! equals c squared! and if two lines intersect! then they only intersect at one point! and if Joanne! doesn't put these exclamation points somewhere! then she'll fall asleep! enthusiasm! and... huh. Mr. Terrance hadn't been on the bus with them. Good for him. She genuinely meant that. She didn't have much care for him as a person, really, but at least someone was making it out of all this.

Kenzie spoke, distracting her from the comforting, if somewhat sad, thought. It was really the laugh that woke her up, the kind of laugh you gave Lizzie Lebowski to get her out of your skin. OK, that was mean, Lizzie tried her best, she deserved a full You-tried star. She was here, unfortunately, but thankfully, she had other things to think about, like what Kenzie and Billy were saying about where to spend the night. She could set aside being sad for later, she was good at that, compartmentalizing emotions. Something to put down on the resume, right between 'coachable and adaptable' and 'willing to learn.'

"Yeah, that all sounds good, I'm up for a camping trip," paired with a laugh hopefully more convincing than Kenzie's, a slight chuckle of her own.

Legit though, a night out in the woods sounded just fine, not withstanding potential Carters looming in the bushes. These islands were probably far from civilization, she could probably get a better view of the stars from out here. The stars had always been good company.

And then, there wasn't much else to say, really. As much as the sight of Violet's face put her at unease (the blood, to be clear, not Violet's face itself, that was just fine, solid 7 out of 10, All Faces Are Valid), there wasn't anything else going on. And, really, Kyle was killing it. Poor choice of words, actually, Kyle was doing really really well. Like watching a surgeon do his work, because Kyle was basically a surgeon doing his work right now. It was captivating, to be honest. Joanne would have released her inner soccer mom, unironically shouted 'You're doing great, sweetie,' pinned him with a gold medal, etc., but it looked like he needed the focus, and Joanne knew when to step back. So, she did just that, and watched as he finished bandaging her, said some stuff to her,

as they walked along the path, directly away from them.

She hadn't even noticed Kenzie leaving, but she was back, just as confused as Joanne was.

"He just... left," she replied. "Like, the two of them just... walked away," she said, gesturing towards the shrinking figures in the distance.

She looked at Billy. "Yo. Are we supposed to follow them or?"
[+] the youfs
[+] V7
V7:
Dead:
B083 - Diego Larrosa - Palayain mo na ako. - He didn't want this. say goodnight to the bad guy [10/159]
Current Theme Music: Devil Town (v1) - cavetown
Weapon: Tactical Combat Shovel
Previous Threads: Love & Money - before the day is done, my prince is gonna come - How Far I'll Go - Gimme, Gimme Shelter or I'm Gonna Fade Away - no one round here's good at keeping their eyes closed - Still Waiting - Hell is Other People - RICH_BOY_LIKES_IT_ROUGH.MP4 - I Don't Wanna Be Myself - The Bell Tolls For Our Funeral - The Gang Goes Out For Breakfast - Untrust Us - Crimewaves - Love itself is just as innocent as roses in May - Will All Be Forgiven? - black eyes looking up from below - Silent Key - it's ok we're just scared - life's alright in devil town - Beyond Human (Barely Human) - And Now Those Days Are Over and We Are All Ghosts - The Ultimate Test of Cerebral Fitness - Ang Pagbibinata ni Diego Larrosa - perverse verdict - Madness in the Method - park the car, drop that phone, sleep on the floor, dream about me
Memories: Hiya sa Timog

G013 - Yuka Hayashibara (adopted from Ryuki!) - Does it spark joy? - She fixed up her look in one of a kind [46/159]
Current Theme Music: Play With Me - DDLC OST
Weapon: Bug-A-Salt Camofly 2.0 Insect Eradication Gun
Previous Threads: Quintessential Thinking - I Pray to the Lord You Reveal what His Truth is - all of our heroes fading - now i can't stand to be alone - Incredible Adventures - there's a pale imitation burnt in my eyes - Red Of Tooth And Claw - The Fifth Announcement - Low Times - Party Like It's 1999 - Hell and You - We're All Excited, We Don't Know Why, Maybe It's 'Cause, We're Gonna Die - Ron Gets a Bath As Well, Whether He Wants To or Not - No Exit
Pregame: In Vino Veritas - Shake It Out
Memories: Hayashibara Heart to Heart
Prom: Fear and Delight
Trip: Room 832: Welcome to the Witching Hour

G052 - Joanne Coleman (adopted from Cicada!) - I've got a thick skin and an elastic heart. - She tried to do something in Sleep Is The Cousin Of Death [116/159]
Current Theme Music: When You Die - MGMT
Weapon: George Hunter High School mascot costume
Previous Threads: hold on to this lullaby - Don't Stray Off The Path - D.R.E.A.M. - I'm Not That Nice, I'm Mean and I'm Evil - we keep these promises, write it in a letter
Pregame: You did not break me. I'm still fighting for peace. - Desperate Times - Heavy is the Head That Wears the Crown - Do You Have The Time - i'm so 3008
Memories: I'm alright. I'm just fine. And you're a tool, so. - Make A New Cult Every Day

G075 - Aditi Sharma (adopted from Brackie! and somer!) - She failed in Yellow Light [88/159]
Weapon: Browning Hi Power 9mm
Previous Threads: Pandorama - Antisocial Darwinism - My Lucifer Is Lonely - They Couldn't Buy A Fucking Toaster. They're Broke, John.
[+] V6
V6 Characters:
G062 - Olivia Fischer prayed a thousand prayers in Ye Not [37/107]
Previous Threads: Sæglópur - Until all our yesterdays are lighted fools... - the way to dusty death - a concrete cave - I'd Say That I've Had Worse Days, but Then I'd Be Lying - Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying - Until Then, You Are Free - Cast in the Name of God
Memories: Sometimes when we reach for the stars...
Weapon: Lobotomy pick.
[+] V5
Dead:
B045 - Juhan Levandi - An Estonian wanna-be journalist with a fear of the dark who wanted to bring them all down in Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien [18/152]
Weapon: Party Bag (contains a noisemaker, party hat, two single-serving bags of candy, and a Hotwheels car)
Pre-Game Threads: Wiping All Out - Quixotic
Previous V5 Threads: Despair - The Real Folk Blues - The two people in the distance were Paulo and Becca - Mischief Managed - Sleeper Cell - Tell No Tales - So, How Was Your Day? - And I'm Not Sleeping Now - Intermission - Glass - A Manic Depressive Named Laughing Boy
G067 - Carmina Maliksi - A Filipina car junkie with a /slight/ obsession with Korea and Japan who has finished things up (somewhat) in Red as Blood [139/152]
Weapon: Non-Functional Flamethrower (left in the Clubhouse)
Previous V5 Threads: Finding Center - Wish I Could Breathe - The Visionary
Memories: Offended?
B054 - Oscar Trig (adopted from Greg the Anti-Viking) - An artist who desperately needs a pencil, paper and a cigar and thought with his heart in Fumble [76/152]
Weapon: Binoculars
Pregame Threads: Taking it to the Streets
Previous V5 Threads: Waking Up at the Beginning of Time - Steadier Footing - Handoff
[+] misc
[+] meirl
new resting place for chatsig never forget 2018
give my v8 kids friends pls
Polybius

Post by Polybius »

Billy walked into the woods for a few moments to check where the best possible campsite would be. Something secure and well-hidden while also being, well, livable. He didn't end up finding anything better than where they'd started, and he went back to the group to check on Kyle and Violet. He expected to see Violet lying there and Kyle treating her. Instead, he arrived to find Kyle and Violet walking off together into the woods. At first he was just confused, and he stared at them. Stared as they went further and further away. Once he realized they were actually leaving, he felt the rage build up again. But then it died out, and he just sat down, defeated. Soon he noticed Joanne and Mackenzie around him.

"What's the point?" he remarked "We can't force 'em to stay with us."

He put his head in his hands. What happened, Kyle? What happened to all of that shit about helping people together? Billy tried to be angry again, but he just catch that spark. His allies have run off and let him down twice already. Maybe he'd made a mistake. Maybe sticking in groups was just a recipe for disaster. Betrayals, infighting, all of that shit. Bryan and Mara and the rest hadn't run in big groups, right?

Wait, why should he care what they did? He wasn't trying to win. But he wasn't trying to lose, either. He wanted to beat this game, and he needed help. But he'd chosen the wrong people. But he wouldn't just abandon them, he wasn't an asshole. But Mac had already abandoned him once.

Two strikes. He'd give it one more shot.

"Let's just make camp" he said quietly, and he went to work. He tried to push Kyle and Violet out of his mind.
blastinus

Post by blastinus »

Mackenzie stared for a moment, just trying to process what had just been said. It wasn't that it was difficult to understand. Kyle left with Violet without saying a word. But the problem was that it was really hard for her to understand why.

She went over everything that had happened, everything that she'd said to him. Had she offended him in some way? Was it because she'd gotten into trouble and he didn't want to risk his neck around her? Or did Violet promise him something that was too good to resist? The more she thought about it, the more Mackenzie realized that this promise of "saving lives" had been just empty, hollow words, and that he'd probably been planning to ditch them right from the start. So much for making any kind of a difference.

"He can do what he wants," she grumped. "If he wants to hang out with Violet, then that's FINE with me."

Slowly, deliberately, she lowered her sticks to the ground and began to arrange them in the stereotypical tepee shape. She'd seen campfires done in movies, but she'd never done them herself. What was there to know? All they had to do was find a place that wouldn't set the forest on fire. They'd given them a lighter so whatever that thing was about rubbing sticks together wasn't even a problem. In time, and with some help from the others, they'd gotten a small fire ready for what would prove to be an awkward evening together.

She tossed and turned. Every time she drifted off, her mind would play back that crack of a gunshot, the bullet whizzing past her ear. She slept in spurts, if at all, barely half an hour at a time. But finally, FINALLY, she managed to settle down around 5 AM, praying that she would wake up and realize that this was all just a really bad dream.

---------------------------------- DAY 2, 8:59 AM ---------------------------------

A shriek of mechanical noise put an end to any such delusions. Mackenzie sprang up, almost to her feet, as hidden speakers began to blare out the morning greeting of the man who'd placed them here. How could he be glad about anything happening on this island? This Danya...did he even feel anything for them, for what they were going through?

And then came the names. She had a face for every one of them, whether she'd passed them in the halls, or shared a crazy party with them not that long ago. Abel was dead...Tyrell was a murderer...Mackenzie clenched her fists, staring at the ground as it went on and on.

"This can't be happening..." she muttered, to herself more than anyone else here. "This can't..." Just a matter of time now, she figured. Morgan and Bryan's names had to be next on the list.

But the time passed, the speakers went silent, and...nothing. No mention of the Carters at all. She waited a moment or two, waited for them to come back on, but no. That was all. Then, did that mean...

"...They're alive?"
Maraoone

Post by Maraoone »

Joanne simply nodded in reply to the two of them. She didn't know what their history had been with Kyle, didn't get why they seemed so mad, but the whole situation seemed like a Mess™, so she wouldn't touch that. Instead, she could internally criticize Kenzie's decisions with regards to survival. Like, she loved her and all, but what was the point of a fire? It was hot enough as is, no need for extra warmth. And, if they didn't even have any marshmallows, graham crackers, or chocolate bars, what was the point?

No need for scary stories though. Enough of those were going on at the moment.

Without the stories, and with the generally tense mood that followed Kyle and Violet's departure, the rest of the night passed through uneventfully, silently.

A few hours later, and Joanne found herself sitting away from the fire, away from Kenzie and Billy, laying down on the dirt. Not because of any dislike for them. Her body felt fine, she guessed. No pains or aches. But lying down cleared her head, relieved a tension she didn't even know she had been feeling. She didn't know how she could ever talk to people ever again.

Socialization was exhausting, in short.

Having to keep up appearances was exhausting. And even though it theoretically didn't matter because they would all die in two weeks or less, even if this island was meant to be the unmaking of society, civilization, she still couldn't quite let go of her appearance. It felt like stripping off in public.

A few details flashed through Joanne's mind as she recalled changing in front of the camera. She hadn't had as many love handles a month ago, right? Had it been that hard to jog a month ago?

She shook her head. Nights were for relaxing and unwinding, yes, but she still had to control that unwinding. Otherwise, she would completely unravel, and she couldn't let her brothers see her like that. No one was allowed to see her like that.

Above the patch of ground she had settled herself on was a gap between the leaves, large enough for her to see some of the stars she longed for. They were much denser than she was used to. Almost smothering, a blanket of celestial gas and dust, millions of light years away. The last time she'd seen stars like these, they had been on a camping trip, Ma, Pa, Roodz, T-man. They had seemed so much brighter then. There had been warmth in those stars, despite the chilly breeze that ran through the trees all those years ago.

The air hung still, silent, stagnant. It stuck to her. Familiar sights like Andromeda, Pegasus, they were nowhere to be found. Not even the Dippers. Perhaps they could be found in other parts of the sky, in a wider gap in the leaves, and there was a part of her urging her to abandon her classmates for the stars. She was doing just fine with Kenzie and Billy, yes, but she could be doing better also, right?

She shook her head. She knew better than that.

If she studied the sky long enough, maybe she could tell whether they were north or south of the equator, but that would require her to anchor her mind for a moment, and she felt just fine with drifting, mind flitting from one thought to another. That meant if it ever got bad, if she ever went dark places, she could just drift out.

She couldn't escape the thought of her parents, though. It followed her. Mom, Dad. She would have to speak to them some time soon. Say some final words, final wishes. Tell them everything she had wanted to say. Maybe make one last push to save them, to save their family.

A more cynical part of her tried to speak, but she refused.

Whatever it was, she had to deal with the fact that she couldn't see their reactions. And maybe that was better, in a way. She didn't have to see them point fingers at each other, blame each other for letting her go on the trip in the first place. No more imaginary mistresses, missing money sitting in the bank the entire time. She would no longer have to witness any emotional war between the people she loved.

Just the physical ones now.

Aside from those gunshots back at the start, today had been quiet, so she had had her day of rest. What she did the next couple of days mattered. For one, it would be all she could leave to her brothers now. One last example, one last push in the right direction. Not the rest of the world, that was too much to ask for. SOTF was just one disaster of many, one headline that would dominate for a week and then fade into the distance. She knew she wouldn't matter to everyone else. But to her brothers, she still existed. Her memory would carry on in them. So, how was she supposed to go about it?

Part of her told her to live life as she always had. Be the party girl she had been all her life, scream and shout with her friends, show her brothers that not even the defining tragedy of the 21st century could get her down. It sounded nice. But somewhat hollow, too. Too easy.

Joanne had had many encounters with the Carters prior to Kenzie's. In particular, with Wyatt. They had gotten away with annoying, bullying, hurting the weaker-willed of Hunter High hundreds of times, and they had gotten away with it hundreds of times. And now that they were given license, they had killed one, possibly two of her classmates, and they would get away with it.

If she let them.

They had almost killed her friend Kenzie, and if she didn't do anything about it, they could kill several other people near and dear to Joanne. Adele, Tanisha. And they would get away with it, again. She couldn't bear to let that happen.

But, if she did do what she was thinking, if she did not let it happen, what would her brothers take from that? Would she want her brothers to see her like that? She could just live it up, live happy, be the Joanne everyone else knew. It was easy, the switch was always right there.

After several minutes of thinking, she decided to let it be for the night. Her day of rest hadn't technically ended, since she hadn't gone to sleep yet. That was a problem for tomorrow. She closed her eyes, and sleep came easily.

---

And tomorrow came, with the screech of the speakers. She looked at her fellow companions. They were awake. The switch would have to turn on soon. But not now.

"Motherfuckers..."

Joanne visibly scowled as names rattled off Danya's mouth like statistics, like they were eliminated contestants rather than actual people. Beryl and Dante stung more than the rest. They were good people. Two of nine, nine of her fellow classmates downed. And none of them had been accidents, either. There were eight killers, one repeat.

Once the danger zone had been announced and the announcements finished, Joanne sat in her spot, thinking. There was something missing. It was on the tip of her tongue, really, she could almost name it.

And then Kenzie named it for her.

She turned to the girl, eyebrows scrunched. "I thought you said something about the Carters, hun?" Light tone, octave higher. Voiced innocently, rather than accusingly.
[+] the youfs
[+] V7
V7:
Dead:
B083 - Diego Larrosa - Palayain mo na ako. - He didn't want this. say goodnight to the bad guy [10/159]
Previous Threads: Love & Money - before the day is done, my prince is gonna come - How Far I'll Go - Gimme, Gimme Shelter or I'm Gonna Fade Away - no one round here's good at keeping their eyes closed - Still Waiting - Hell is Other People - RICH_BOY_LIKES_IT_ROUGH.MP4 - I Don't Wanna Be Myself - The Bell Tolls For Our Funeral - The Gang Goes Out For Breakfast - Untrust Us - Crimewaves - Love itself is just as innocent as roses in May - Will All Be Forgiven? - black eyes looking up from below - Silent Key - it's ok we're just scared - life's alright in devil town - Beyond Human (Barely Human) - And Now Those Days Are Over and We Are All Ghosts - The Ultimate Test of Cerebral Fitness - Ang Pagbibinata ni Diego Larrosa - perverse verdict - Madness in the Method - park the car, drop that phone, sleep on the floor, dream about me

G013 - Yuka Hayashibara (adopted from Ryuki!) - Does it spark joy? - She fixed up her look in one of a kind [46/159]
Previous Threads: Quintessential Thinking - I Pray to the Lord You Reveal what His Truth is - all of our heroes fading - now i can't stand to be alone - Incredible Adventures - there's a pale imitation burnt in my eyes - Red Of Tooth And Claw - The Fifth Announcement - Low Times - Party Like It's 1999 - Hell and You - We're All Excited, We Don't Know Why, Maybe It's 'Cause, We're Gonna Die - Ron Gets a Bath As Well, Whether He Wants To or Not - No Exit

G052 - Joanne Coleman (adopted from Cicada!) - I've got a thick skin and an elastic heart. - She tried to do something in Sleep Is The Cousin Of Death [116/159]
Previous Threads: hold on to this lullaby - Don't Stray Off The Path - D.R.E.A.M. - I'm Not That Nice, I'm Mean and I'm Evil - we keep these promises, write it in a letter
Pregame: You did not break me. I'm still fighting for peace. - Desperate Times - Heavy is the Head That Wears the Crown - Do You Have The Time - i'm so 3008
Memories: I'm alright. I'm just fine. And you're a tool, so. - Make A New Cult Every Day

G075 - Aditi Sharma (adopted from Brackie! and somer!) - She failed in Yellow Light [88/159]
Previous Threads: Pandorama - Antisocial Darwinism - My Lucifer Is Lonely - They Couldn't Buy A Fucking Toaster. They're Broke, John.
[+] V6
V6 Characters:
Previous Threads: Sæglópur - Until all our yesterdays are lighted fools... - the way to dusty death - a concrete cave - I'd Say That I've Had Worse Days, but Then I'd Be Lying - Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying - Until Then, You Are Free - Cast in the Name of God
[+] V5
Dead:
B045 - Juhan Levandi - An Estonian wanna-be journalist with a fear of the dark who wanted to bring them all down in Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien [18/152]
Weapon: Party Bag (contains a noisemaker, party hat, two single-serving bags of candy, and a Hotwheels car)
Previous V5 Threads: Despair - The Real Folk Blues - The two people in the distance were Paulo and Becca - Mischief Managed - Sleeper Cell - Tell No Tales - So, How Was Your Day? - And I'm Not Sleeping Now - Intermission - Glass - A Manic Depressive Named Laughing Boy
G067 - Carmina Maliksi - A Filipina car junkie with a /slight/ obsession with Korea and Japan who has finished things up (somewhat) in Red as Blood [139/152]
B054 - Oscar Trig (adopted from Greg the Anti-Viking) - An artist who desperately needs a pencil, paper and a cigar and thought with his heart in Fumble [76/152]
Previous V5 Threads: Waking Up at the Beginning of Time - Steadier Footing - Handoff
[+] misc
[+] meirl
Polybius

Post by Polybius »

Billy didn't get much sleep that night, drifting in and out of sleep. His dreams were a mess of psychotic Carters and untrustworthy allies. The last one, though, that one was pleasant. It was just him skating down the street in the middle of the day. He arrived home, and his dad was at the door to greet him. He'd actually seemed happy to see Billy, for some reason, and Billy was happy to see him. They started talking about... something. Joanne shook him awake because it was his turn to watch, and the conversation was forgotten by the time he'd sat up. It was stupid and pointless, but he wished he could remember.

Nothing happened during Billy's watch, thankfully. Billy was absentmindedly staring at the remnants of the previous night's fire when speakers all around them crackled to life. Oh yeah, this was the daily announcements. Once back at home, in the comfort of his room, Billy had listened to rips of previous announcements and had rolled his eyes at the barrage of tasteless jokes. Now, however, he listened intently. Which of his classmates would be the first exposed as murderous psychos, and which ones had been their unlucky victims.

Wow, Abel was the first to die? Abel had been a pal to Billy during his regrettable baseball days, and he always came off as a strong guy with good sense. He was killed by that tiny redhead girl Paloma. There were a few other unexpected names, as well- Toby, Chris, Yuko. Really, no one was safe out here. This would be a wake up call to a lot of his remaining classmates. As far as the killers went, none of them were too surprising. The biggest shock of who wasn't there- namely, Wyatt and Bret.

"Yeah, looks like Morgan and Bryan made it." he said, attention being brought to his now-awake companions. "At least that's some good news, right?"

Billy stepped to his feet and stretched. Time for Day 2 of Murder Island. Hopefully it'd be better than Day 1.
blastinus

Post by blastinus »

"Well, yes, I thought they were...there was blood and Morgan was on the floor and..."

Mackenzie struggled to remember, had she actually seen Morgan die? She certainly hadn't seen Bryan. That had just been an assumption, but it was a reasonable one. They were both on top of him and hitting him and she figured that if they'd killed Morgan...but they hadn't killed Morgan and that meant they hadn't killed Bryan and OHMIGOSH she'd just sent Tirzah to kill them and wait hold on, Tirzah had shot someone else and that meant that they were chatting with a murderer! Or she'd murdered someone later. But still, either way...

Mackenzie reeled back, realizing how close they'd been to someone who could have riddled them full of lead. It was startling to consider.

"I mean, that...doesn't change the fact that they're still robbing people," she said, getting herself back on track. "And-and they still have a gun, right? Right?"

She didn't like the vibe she was getting from Joanne. It didn't sound like she was calling her a liar, but it had the unmistakable air of someone who wished they could un-hug her somehow. Maybe Mackenzie was just being paranoid. Yesterday was still wearing heavily on her brain, after all.
Maraoone

Post by Maraoone »

Joanne blinked a few times.

"Right, yeah. Yeah, that's right. Sorry about that." She let her voice go low, bassy as she said this, as she looked at the ground.

She couldn't let that happen again.

Switch back on.

Much as she hated to give Billy Boy a point here, the point would be given to... Slytherin seemed like Billy's house? She guessed? Joanne didn't know much about Harry Potter, but Slytherin had all the shitbags, right? Point being, like, Morgan and Bryan were good people. And they were good living people right now. And that was what counted, what had to count, what they had to keep in mind each announcement.

Kenzie had been so scared when they first met up yesterday, too. And sure, Kenzie always enjoyed the spotlight, that tank top she was wearing being Exhibit A, but Joanne had heard gunshots too, right? If people were killing, then God knows robbing was nowhere near off the table. There were many literal garbage people in Hunter High, and the announcements had confirmed to Joanne that she needed to go after these garbage people, stop them somehow. But Kenzie wasn't one of those people. And she couldn't go off firing friendly.

She relaxed her eyebrows, looked at everyone. Tried to make amends.

"Are you guys OK? Y'all holding up there?" asked in a tone higher, smoother, more reassuring.
[+] the youfs
[+] V7
V7:
Dead:

[+] V6
V6 Characters:
[+] V5
Dead:
[+] misc
[+] meirl
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

A hand reached out from the nearby foliage and delicately unzipped one of the bags that had been placed by it. The sound of the zipper was drowned out by the announcements, which were very distracting, to be fair.

The hand rummaged around inside the bag, feeling for the ridged, smooth, slightly chilled familiar feeling. It removed the bottle of water, pulled int into the leaves, which rustled for a moment, and then put the bottle back, zipping the bag again.

The steps were repeated on the second bag just at the announcements were coming to an end. Lori was perhaps the only person on the island willing the announcement to last just a few moments longer, but in the end, the work was done.

((Lori Martin continued from the world is spinning but only in grey ))

She had been walking through the forrest that morning. Lori was tired and grumpier then usual. She needed her 7 hours of sleep, minimum. After escaping the house, it was hard to navigate without her flashlight at night. She found some place in the forest to sleep for a little bit, but then something had attacked her. It turned out to be an island goat that was trying to get at the bread in the bag she was using as a pillow. Still, she'd not been able to find some place she felt secure and thus, didn't sleep much after that.

As she walked in the morning, she heard voices. They were all more or less familiar, but not especially welcome. Lori crept from one area of foliage to another to get a better look at them until she saw she was near some of the bags.

There was one bag out of reach that looked like it had something big in it. if Lori ever wanted to feel a sense of security again, she'd need a weapon. A real weapon, not drugs. Maybe if she could just disorient the group she could make off with whatever was in that big bag.

The announcements ended and she'd forgotten to listen for them. It didn't matter, she could count the trustworthy people at school on one hand.

The plan would go well this time, it had to.

"Yeah!" she whispered to herself.
Polybius

Post by Polybius »

"Yeah, we still know the Carters are still going around randomly attacking people, as they do."

Paloma, Tyrell, Tirzah, Tyrell again, Katrina, Nick, Quinn, Blaise... and of course, add the Carters to that list. He'd have to keep those names in mind. The ones that they knew for sure turned rabid on the very first day. Well, maybe some of them were defending themselves, but unless they gave a damn good explanation he'd assume otherwise. Tirzah was the most surprising- when they'd met the previous day, was that before or after the killing?

Regardless, the important thing now would be deciding where to go next. Billy walked over to his bag, taking out the map and a bottle of water. He knelt down and opened the map out in front of everyone.

"Right, so where do we go now? Honestly, we've gone halfway across the island since the last time I looked at this." Billy took a sip of his water. "I guess the village isn't too far off. It'll definitely be dangerous, but... well, it's also our best chance of finding someone who actually knows what they're doing."

Billy looked back up at Joanne. That's right, she didn't really know what their goal was, did she?

"Someone who might be able to help us get out of here, I mean." he told her.
blastinus

Post by blastinus »

"I'm alright," Mackenzie lied to Joanne while straining to put on a smile. She could go down a huge list of the many reasons why she was not holding up in the slightest, what with the heat, being stuck outdoors with bugs and who knows what, the killings, the near-misses, the dwindling group, the feeling that she was making a fool of herself every time she opened her mouth, the inescapable realization that she was just prolonging her existence and the rest of her life could be measured in days, and so on and so forth.

She could say all that, but frankly, if she did, then she'd be a whiner, and nobody likes whiners. One of the few things her parents "taught" her.

Billy went through their next plan of attack, and he seemed like he had a good idea. Heading to the village might give them a central hub for bringing the class together. They'd need to find a recognizable landmark, something that everyone would congregate on, and then...well, they'd just have to think of something. Lotsa smart cookies in this school. Someone had to have an idea how to defuse a collar-shaped bomb.

Indeed, this could work.

"That's a plan, an excellent one, at that," Mackenzie added, trying to put the announcements behind her. She was a theater girl. For the sake of everyone else, she could pretend that nothing was bothering her. She straightened her posture, tried to give off a more confident air. If Billy still wanted to keep to the plan, then whether they had Kyle onboard or not, she would back him all the way.

"Bit of breakfast first, if you don't mind," she fake-chirped. "Can't travel on an empty stomach." She reached for her own bag and pulled out one of the bars of unknown nutritional value. At least she had an appetite. That was something. She was even able to stifle a yawn. Fantastic! If she could fool herself into thinking that she was relaxed and ready to face the world, then she could fool anybody.
Maraoone

Post by Maraoone »

The two didn't hold Joanne's seconds of antagonism against her, thank God. Let no one, no one, say that Joanne wasn't a diplomat. Crisis averted right there, McAllister clapping in the distance. So that was smoothed over. But, she had to respond to what they were saying immediately or else they would notice something off, and there was a lot to take in, so let's just take a filler response and

"That... yeah, I like the sound of that," Joanne said with an understanding nod.

The truth, technically. Billy and Kenzie's voices sounded sonically okay, not too grating, just fine, 6 out of 10, although a bit too high and chirpy and pitchy on Kenzie's part. She didn't like their sound but she didn't hate it, so close enough, right?

But as to what they were saying, well.

She could find her OG homegirls, besties, sisters from another mother, birds of the same feather, etc., Adele and Tanisha in the village. They were bound to end up there eventually. So, yeah, sticking with Billy and Kenzie up to there sounded good. It didn't hurt to stay with them there. But trying to escape? Looking for someone to escape?

They were all going to die here. They had to realize that eventually.

Joanne had made her peace with that the moment she woke up, and she didn't want to be around for when they did. And if they focused more on the escape, which they were bound to do, that would keep her from finding her friends. Escape was noble. It was something she liked the sound of. But that was it.

But she'd just keep that little opinion to herself. Joanne may have had a lot storming inside her mind, but she was never one to rain on anyone's parades. That was for the Madison's and Lori's of the world.

Food, on the other hand, sounded more appealing. She hadn't even realized how little she had eaten until Kenzie mentioned it. A first, to be honest. But now that she knew it, her stomach was gnawing and begging for something to satisfy it.

"You're damn right," she replied to Kenzie.

She opened her bag and pulled out a granola bar and a bottle of water. Lines formed on her face as she chewed, judged, contemplated the 'high-energy survival ration' piece of cardboard in her mouth. She took in a large swig of water to push it down her throat, and then another to clear the taste. She closed her eyes, shook her head.

"Lord. I highkey prefer the cafeteria's offerings to"—she pointed to the half-chewed bar dramatically, looking away from it, disgust on her face—"that. Good God. Any of y'all have any snacks left over from the trip?"
[+] the youfs
[+] V7
V7:
Dead:

[+] V6
V6 Characters:
[+] V5
Dead:
[+] misc
[+] meirl

Return to “Lower Wilderness”