Sidelines

Here is where the dance itself takes place. The dance is being held in the school gym, which has been decorated in the theme of the dance: Cosmic Space Adventure! Numerous chaperones are present, and there is nary a private space to be seen. Due to this, no private threads are allowed! This forum covers everything from the start of the dance to when students exit.
ViolentMedic

Sidelines

Post by ViolentMedic »

((Lillian 'Lily' Caldwell continued from I can't think of any cutesy love songs that'd fit as a thread title, consider this a placeholder.))

Dances were alright. About the same as parties. Lily always preferred to view them from the sidelines. It wasn't as if she couldn't join in. But she liked watching, same to how she preferred listening to talking.

Dances had the plus of people being less likely to do something horribly stupid, although on the other hand parties had the bigger chance of someone doing something hilariously stupid. Sometimes 'horribly' and 'hilariously' crossed over.

She didn't know what Alvaro would want to do. Whether he'd be okay with hanging out on the sidelines or not. Would he want to dance? Probably. Not dancing at a dance was like going to a restaurant and only ordering glasses of water.

Lily shifted from foot to foot on occasion, watching the dancers as she fiddled with the fluffy skirt of her mid-length yellow dress. She could dance, she supposed. She'd never danced with someone before. Apart from this one time in elementary school where they made everyone learn one of those dances with the set steps and everyone had to partner up, but that hardly counted.

Maybe she should ask. It was the waiting and uncertainty that was bad. She'd rather just do the dance than think about it all night.

"Have you tried the cookies?"

Or she could continue eating snacks and ignoring the possibility of dancing. Both worked. Lily took a bite of the cookie she had picked up and stared somewhere just over Alvaro's shoulder, hoping he wouldn't notice she wasn't making proper eye contact.
Yugikun

Post by Yugikun »

((Alvaro Vacanti's Sadie Hawkins Adventure, continued from this thread))

Music. Darkness. People. Dance. Alvaro looked at the couples dancing from his spot on the sidelines of the room. He could see a couple of friends and people he knew over there. Irene was dancing with Noah. Alba, his cooking partner, was dancing with Brendan Harte, someone he occasionally talked to while at the cafe. Him? He was standing at one of the food tables, kinda close to Lily. He wasn't right next to her, but there probably wasn't much more than a meter of space between them. It felt a little odd, to be honest. Nothing bad though, just a little weird whenever he turned his head around the room and found that she was right next to him, in a beautiful dress that he had never seen her in before. Again, nothing bad; it was actually a pleasant kind of weird instead of a murky kind. He was at a dance standing next to the girl he loved who was willing to talk with him and make him happy. What was bad about this?

Well, admittedly he kinda wanted to dance with her, even if it was only for a couple of seconds. They had stayed near the food table for a little while now, idly chatting and looking around for a bit. For the most part he was looking at the things going on in front of him, while taking some of the foodstuffs on the table behind him. He liked the dance! The mood was nice, people looked like they were having fun, the music was songs that he had heard before and liked. Really, he had high hopes. All he needed to do was work up the courage that he needed to ask Lily if they wanted to dance. This night would be amazing, then. Maybe even the best night of his life.

And all he had to do was say a couple words. Ask a simple question. He turned to Lily, tried to look her in the eyes for a bit. It was just a couple words. He could do this. He had already confessed his feelings towards her, just saying a couple more things would be easy. He was about to open his mouth, before she asked him about the cookies.

"Oh, they're nice! I don't think they're as good as the cake, though!"

He readjusted his glasses a bit, after saying that. She had interrupted him, and he had let her speak first, to his slight annoyance. Oh well, he could wait a little. He turned his head back out to the crowd, trying to see if he could find any of his friends dancing.
[+] The Past
Image Image Image

B003: Jeremy Frasier — "Yeah. No regrets." — 57%
Kills: 2 | Equipped with: Scoped Raging Bull, $1000, Wooden Baseball Bat, Eyepatch, Pancor Jackhammer
PREGAME — Past: ☆ ☆ ☆ | Present: ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ | Sadie Hawkins: ☆ ☆
V6: ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
THEME: OneRepublic — Love Runs Out

B013: Alvaro Vacanti — "Thank... you..." — 41%
Kills: 3 | Equipped with: MAC-10
PREGAME — Past: ❇ ❇ ❇ | Present: ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ | Sadie Hawkins: ❇ ❇
V6: ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇
THEME: The Megas — The Haystack Principle

G030: Jasmine King — "I win." — 11%
Kills: 0 | Equipped with: Brass Knuckles
PREGAME — Past: | Present: ☻ ☻ ☻ | Sadie Hawkins: ☻
V6: ☻ ☻ ☻ ☻ ☻
THEME: Luck Ganriki — golden sneer
[+] The Future
ImageImageImageImage

Nicholas "Nick Andretti" Andretti — The Mercenary — "Have a problem? I can help you. For a price."
Clover Wilkinson-Crowheart — The Cryptid — "Don't... talk to me..."
Teddy "Theodore" Berenson — The Crusader — "Be excellent to each other."
Yong Yi "Penny" Yu — The Burnout — "I DO TWO THINGS I RAP AND FUCK"
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

Wait, had he been about to say something? Had she interrupted? Great. Now she was being rude, too.

"True. Not much is better than cake."

She looked around at the people dancing. She could see Alessio around, talking with some others at one of the other food tables. Good plan. She hadn't seen any other friends, yet. Nor had she seen any cousins, which was odd given that she had a veritable legion of them. Haley had mentioned an anti-SH party to her, so they were probably at that. But who knew, where the others were concerned?

She felt anxious. That was ridiculous. She'd feel fine if she was here alone. Or if she and Alvaro had gone as friends. But she didn't feel any better about this date situation than she did when she'd first suggested it like an idiot.

"Uh... sorry, were you going to say something? I didn't mean to interrupt."

She stuck the remainder of the cookie in her mouth. They really were pretty good.
Yugikun

Post by Yugikun »

Lily responded to his answer, agreeing with him on the fact that the cake was easily the best of the foods on the table. He turned his head around, and looked at the food that had been placed on the table. It was an assortment of different cakes and biscuits, with a couple of tarts and meaty things near the center of the table, He had tried nearly everything on the table, and everything he had tried tasted pretty good! Not as good as the things he served at Vacanti's, of course, but these were a worthy substitute. He was also kinda happy that there weren't any chip bowls on the table; since then he could actually focus on the other things on the table. He liked chips, which was kind of a problem. Give him a bowl which he could eat freely and he'd devour half of it before he realised what was happening.

He took a sausage roll from the platter on the table and turned his head back towards the people dancing. They seemed to be enjoying themselves, a little more than how much Alvaro was enjoying himself right now. Again, that wasn't to say that he wasn't enjoying himself here, because he really was. The music was nice and he could get behind the atmosphere. He just kinda felt... obligated to dance with Lily. It was the school dance, and if the material he had read told him something the guy always danced with the girl he asked out. Plus, the name of the event was the Sadie Hawkins Dance, so he wanted to dance with Lily at some point. Wait, not wanted. Had. It wasn't quite prom, but it was still one of the last chances he had to do this, so at the risk of feeling like a broken record he had to do it at some point.

And then Lily asked him about what he was going to ask her before she interrupted him. "Oh! Um..." Was it a problem if he was too forward with this? He wanted to dance but he didn't want to force Lily into it if she didn't want to. Did she want to do it? He wasn't sure. As soon as they both came in she decided to back away from the massive cluster of people and decided to hang out here for a bit. How would she feel if he asked her to dance with him? Again, not sure. He could always just ask if she was okay with it, though. He could do it, and it wasn't like she'd leave him if it was a bad question.

"It's nothing. I just wanted to know if you wanted to dance at some point."
[+] The Past
Image Image Image

Kills: 2 | Equipped with: Scoped Raging Bull, $1000, Wooden Baseball Bat, Eyepatch, Pancor Jackhammer

[+] The Future
ImageImageImageImage

Nicholas "Nick Andretti" Andretti — The Mercenary — "Have a problem? I can help you. For a price."
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

And, yeah, there it was.

Lily meant to reply right off, but instead she spent several long moments considering the dance floor. With all the people dancing around and having fun and all that. It just always seemed like dancing was one of those things that was better to watch than to do.

But what was she supposed to say? 'No, I don't want to dance. I just want to sit here and eat cookies all night.' It was a dance. She had to dance.

God, why did she invite him to a dance? Why couldn't she have invited him to Junko's party, or literally anywhere else?

Don't be cold. For once.

"...Sure. I'll dance. Now?"

She held out a hand for him to take.

It's just a dance. No big deal.
Yugikun

Post by Yugikun »

He asked it. He breathed. In, out. He had put the question out there. Now it was time for him to find out whether she actually wanted to dance with him or not. He knew that she wanted to come here with him, she was the one who asked him if he wanted to come with her and she didn't stand him up after they agreed to meet at the cafe before they both went back to the school. What she didn't know was what she wanted to do here with him. They came here, feasted on the snacks, exchanged small talk for a bit, but nothing more than that. He was okay with that. Really, just being here next to the girl he loved, eating great food while good music played overhead. All he needed was for her to dance with him and then this night could be perfect. If they could just dance for a bit, even if it was only for one song or so, then he could leave tonight with a feeling of pure bliss.

And then she said yes.

She agreed to dance with him, holding out her hand for him. He took it, snapped his arm out just like that. She was dancing with him. She was going to dance with him and even if it was only going to be for a couple of minutes they could have fun together and the night would be great because he spent it having fun with the greatest girl in the world and it was great and it was perfect and there wasn't going to be anything else better than this day.

Wait, what did he just do? She offered him her hand and he just reached out and yanked it. Oh no, was he too harsh? What did he look like? Was he weird in just doing it like that? He let go, taking a step back. Wait, was he blushing? He was blushing, wasn't he? Oh god, if he looked weird before he looked weirder now.  He needed to say something quickly before his body did something even worse

"Um, sorry if I was too hard... or something."

He slowly reached out his hand again, not touching Lily's, just in case she had changed her mind after his performance.
[+] The Past
Image Image Image

[+] The Future
ImageImageImageImage

ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

"It's fine."

Lily grasped his hand again, and pulled him towards the dance floor. More gently than he had done. She had a look around, to see how everyone else was dancing. She'd seen someone doing a lot of weird moves over before, including that thing where it looked like they died but didn't. Other people doing energetic sorts of dances, then yet others who did the slow dancing or the casual rocking back and forth that wasn't really a dance at all

Did dancing just come instinctively? It should, right?

They were on the floor. She was still holding Alvaro's hand. She looked down at that, looked at Alvaro's face for a moment. Then immediately looked away again.

Nope. This dancing was not coming instinctively. Uh.

"So... yeah," she said, not really knowing what she even meant. Maybe Alvaro knew how to dance, and then she could just follow along.
Yugikun

Post by Yugikun »

"Good to know, I guess."

Lily took his hand - clasping it a little slower and more gently than Alvaro did previously - and walked out to the dance floor. It felt a little odd. Lily's hand was a little cold but that didn't really matter and to be honest he kinda liked how it felt and his steps felt a little bit heavier whenever they hit the ground and yes yes yes he finally got the chance to dance with her and now this night would literally be perfect and almost nothing could ruin his night now. Wait, no. Okay, he had to admit that there were still places where this night would go wrong, but the possibilities were so few and unlikely that he could probably write them off. If nothing went wrong they could just dance and talk until one of them became tired.

So they walked out into the group of people dancing. Now that he was much closer to them he could see that there wasn't really any rhythm or unity in what they were doing. Each person was just doing their own thing with each other, no real rule as to what it was. Alvaro wasn't really sure he could do that, he couldn't really improvise that well. He hoped that if he was stuck standing in place Lily could help, because right now although he really wanted to dance he really wasn't sure how to right now.

So it was kind of a problem when Lily voiced that she didn't really know what to do, either.

"Uh..."

Alvaro looked around, seeing the other dances doing what they were doing. This was slightly awkward.

"To be honest..." Alvaro said, not meeting Lily's gaze. "I don't really know what to do either."
[+] The Past
Image Image Image

[+] The Future
ImageImageImageImage

ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

"I'm... I'm not really a dancer, to be honest."

Lily looked around awkwardly before swinging Alvaro's hand slightly. That was a dance. Kind of. It was a move that was a part of a dance. Close enough. She thought that maybe it would get the dancing going, but it didn't seem to.

"Maybe... maybe we should just... go back and... I don't know," Lily mumbled.

God, this was so awkward. Why had she thought this was a good idea? She couldn't have just said 'I think we should just go as friends?' But no. She had to prove she wasn't cold. Even though that's basically what she was.

"...Sorry," she muttered. "For, uh... well, you know."
Yugikun

Post by Yugikun »

This was awkward.

Alvaro stood with Lily within a group of people. Not at the centre, they were more off to the southeast side of the gym, the way that they came being behind Alvaro and the door they entered being viewable if Alvaro turned his head to his side. Not that he'd do that considering that Lily was right in front of him and he wanted to give her his attention but it helped him know where he was proportional to the directions of the room. Both of them were in the middle of the crowd because Alvaro wanted to dance with her because of a feeling of obligation, but then it turned out that neither of them really knew what to do so they were just kinda standing here twiddling their thumbs, Alvaro awkwardly looking around the room trying not to stare Lily in the eyes.

The silence (or really silence between the two, considering the dancing and music booming around them) was soon broken by Lily asking if they should just go back. Alvaro's eyes went back to look at hers, partially out of politeness but mostly because the situation felt somewhat serious enough to warrant him actually bearing himself to look at her. She was right. This was awkward. Hindsight meant that he may as well have gone out here to dance in the case that they actually knew what to do but they didn't and they were just kinda standing there looking like something not smart.

"Yeah... I agree. I think we should go back."

As much as it pained him to say so. He was fine with just them talking on the sidelines for the rest of the night, but he felt like not being able to dance with her was going to be a massive thing that loomed over this night tainting it and stopping it from being something that he could call good. It wasn't even that he wanted to dance with Lily because he wanted to dance with Lily, it was like he wanted to dance with her because he felt obligated to because of the name of the place and because it was what everyone else was doing and honestly he didn't even know why he just felt like he had to more than anything.

Still, though, maybe he could enjoy tonight. He was here specifically to be with the girl he loved and talk to her and at least have a little fun. If he moped about a lost opportunity then he couldn't really have any fun with her and considering that this was Lily that wouldn't do. If he wanted to enjoy tonight, then maybe the first thing he should do was accept the apology, give a clean slate to everyone involved so that things could start again.

"It's fine, I should be the one apologising, anyway," he said, leading Lily out of the crowd of people. Didn't really know where to go after this, but maybe he could just talk with Lily a bit and figure out where to go from there.
[+] The Past
Image Image Image

[+] The Future
ImageImageImageImage

ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

"There's nothing for you to apologise for," Lily said, as she was led back to the food table.

The sidelines were definitely more comfortable. While, rationally, Lily knew everyone on the dance floor was too busy... well, dancing... to notice what she and Alvaro was doing, she couldn't help but feel uncomfortable and self-conscious out there. Sure, there was that phrase 'dance like nobody's watching,' but Lily generally didn't dance when nobody was watching anyway.

Once they reached the food table, Lily immediately picked up a handful of potato chips and started eating. Ah, food. The ready-made excuse for her not to talk immediately. To give her time to think without seeming too awkward.
Yugikun

Post by Yugikun »

And now they were back at the tables. Was it the same table as before? He looked around. It didn't seem to be. They were more to the left of the hall from the perspective he was at, this one was a little closer to the center. It also seemed to have a little more food on it, although he could just be misremembering how much food was at the other table. He looked back at the crowd. Nobody was really looking at them, thankfully. He knew that that was an unlikely event to happen but he knew that he had bumped into a few people as they had both exited the crowd and he knew that there were people who would be bothered by that and considering how well the night was currently going he really didn't want to get any more people annoyed at him.

He looked at Lily. She was pretty. He knew that he had already knew that and had probably mentioned that about at least a hundred times tonight but he honestly couldn't help it. She was pretty, with her hair and her smile and her dress and he knew that he shouldn't be as disappointed as he felt. The girl that he loved at least liked him enough to go to the dance with him, and even if they couldn't dance and even if they were just going to be awkwardly silent for the rest of the night they could still probably be friends after. He hoped. Hopefully she didn't resent him for what was happening and hopefully they could both forget this. Well, he doubted that he'd end up forgetting it but he wished he could.

Wait, hang on, the night wasn't over yet. There was still a couple hours. Maybe he could at least break the silence a little?

Quick, think of a question...

"So... um... what do you think of the music?"

He looked away from her eyes for a second before they came back. Maybe now it could be easier to them to talk.

((Alvaro Vacanti, continued in Cooking with Pooh))
[+] The Past
Image Image Image

[+] The Future
ImageImageImageImage

ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

Lily chewed the food in her mouth slowly before answering.

"It's alright. I like the current song. Don't know what it is, though."

Well, this was better than dancing. She could probably just pretend this was an 'as friends' thing if they didn't do that again. Maybe she'd explain herself to Alvaro another time. Not right now—that would only make things more awkward—but maybe later. A different day.

For now? Talking was fine.

((Lily Caldwell continued elsewhere.))

Return to “At the Dance”