The Second Mistake

HEY RC I CAN MAKE SONGS AFTER LYRICS NOW TOO (Private)

Here is where preparations or date arrangements for the dance can take place. Remember, tradition dictates it's ladies' choice! This forum covers events directly related to the dance from two days before the event until the start of the dance itself.
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

"That sounds right," BB said, not deigning to give Brokencyde any more mind and instead focusing on the more interesting discussion. "And wait, you play piano?"

Had she ever heard that? She couldn't say, but it really piqued her interest. It seemed there was more to be learned about Jeremy, more potential ground they had in common. She wasn't quite sure what she thought of his winning awards, but then she'd never really looked into competitive playing.

"I am good at leaning on things," she said. "Maybe sometime I'll take you up on that."

She was even being legitimate in her interest in hearing him play. She could imagine him being pretty good.
Yugikun

Post by Yugikun »

"Yep! Played it for around ten years by now." Was ten right? He wasn't sure. He started it around the end of third grade, which he was... seven for? He was seventeen now, so that kinda sounded right. He wiggled his fingers, grabbing his wrist has he twirled it. He hadn't done any competitions for a while now, and while he was still practicing, he was only at the stage where he had to play his songs ridiculously slowly if he wanted to play them consistently at all. Still, he could play the songs from the previous grade just fine, and he could probably pick up some of the more playable songs from NinSheetMusic and play them if he wanted to, but god, he kinda felt bad when he was playing right now. He was lucky that most of the competitions that he entered were usually at the end of the year; by then he could play them well enough that he could be proud of it.

"I'm around grade seven at this point. Not very good compared to some of the other people I know, though. I'm not one of those asians who could sight read a chopin piece if they wanted to." He did adapt a couple of their strategies when a competition was coming up, though. It was kinda unpleasant repeating a song over and over again until he could go through it without making a mistake, but it normally won him competitions!

"And yeah, I enter competitions sometimes, usually get into the top three for my efforts. Sometimes if I practice hard enough I can steal first." Speaking of that, didn't BB play piano also? There were no images but there was a little bit of recollection of her playing songs in the music hall.

"You?"
[+] The Past
Image Image Image

B003: Jeremy Frasier — "Yeah. No regrets." — 57%
Kills: 2 | Equipped with: Scoped Raging Bull, $1000, Wooden Baseball Bat, Eyepatch, Pancor Jackhammer
PREGAME — Past: ☆ ☆ ☆ | Present: ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ | Sadie Hawkins: ☆ ☆
V6: ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
THEME: OneRepublic — Love Runs Out

B013: Alvaro Vacanti — "Thank... you..." — 41%
Kills: 3 | Equipped with: MAC-10
PREGAME — Past: ❇ ❇ ❇ | Present: ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ | Sadie Hawkins: ❇ ❇
V6: ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇
THEME: The Megas — The Haystack Principle

G030: Jasmine King — "I win." — 11%
Kills: 0 | Equipped with: Brass Knuckles
PREGAME — Past: | Present: ☻ ☻ ☻ | Sadie Hawkins: ☻
V6: ☻ ☻ ☻ ☻ ☻
THEME: Luck Ganriki — golden sneer
[+] The Future
ImageImageImageImage

Nicholas "Nick Andretti" Andretti — The Mercenary — "Have a problem? I can help you. For a price."
Clover Wilkinson-Crowheart — The Cryptid — "Don't... talk to me..."
Teddy "Theodore" Berenson — The Crusader — "Be excellent to each other."
Yong Yi "Penny" Yu — The Burnout — "I DO TWO THINGS I RAP AND FUCK"
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

"Nothing competitive," BB said. "And these days, I honestly spend most of my practice time on a keyboard, but we still have my grandmother's upright. I actually started in third grade too."

That meant she had a pretty good idea where Jeremy was at, and what his process looked like. It was pretty impressive, really. BB had taken lessons in much the same way for a long time, though she couldn't quite bring to mind what level of examination she had reached, though she'd been quite proud at the time. These days, the bulk of her focus was on less formalized practice, and while she definitely took time to keep up with her more traditional pieces and checked in with her past teachers from time to time, she imagined Jeremy probably had the edge on her there.

The thought wasn't as irritating as she expected it to be. She actually thought it was pretty cool that Jeremy took his playing seriously enough to compete with it. Sure, she didn't really think piano competitions were likely to mean all that much when it came to being good at playing legitimately enjoyable music, but she could absolutely respect commitment to technical excellence.

The beginnings of an idea had been starting to work their way into BB's mind over the past few minutes. She wasn't sure if it was a terrible idea or not. It probably was. The rest of the band would likely give her endless grief about it.

"Do they give you trophies or medals or something?" she asked.
Yugikun

Post by Yugikun »

Huh, okay, that was neat. BB had apparently played the piano as long as he had. She seemed to be a lot more casual about it, judging from her comment. Lucky her; apparently she didn't have a dad who wanted her to be a professional pianist and wouldn't accept anything otherwise. Admittedly if it weren't for his dad he doubted that he'd actually do anything more with the piano except to fuck around with a piece of sheet music he found on the internet, so hey, credit where credit was due. He still hoped that once he got out of here his dad would have nothing to do with his path again, and he was never going to play piano at a professional level (too big of a gamble, not fun enough to do over being a writer), but his father's motivation/nagging had earned him a couple prizes, and some bragging rights as well.

Jeremy go of his wrist and let his hands pull down on his shirt. It was the Ghostbusters shirt, surprise surprise. He didn't really have anything else interesting to wear besides this; the only other t-shirts in his wardrobe were Dr. Who themed and he knew about the negative stigma the fanbase carried so he wasn't going to wear it in public. He kinda needed to go clothes shopping; not that he hated the Ghostbusters shirt but it was the only wearable thing in his wardrobe and while Jeremy didn't care about fashion all that much he really needed something else to see when he looked down.

BB then asked if he got trophies or medals for winning competitions. The answer to that was pretty simple, but the store was kinda comfy and BB was nice so he probably ended up explaining more than he had to.

"Yeah, there are. For the most part if you score in the top three you get a trophy, a certificate, and some criticism. I'm also pretty sure there's money involved but if there is I've never seen it." He shrugged, keeping the smirk on his face. He was pretty sure he saw prize money on the notification for the Music Teacher's competition last year, but he hadn't received anything when he won that. He knew that honorable mention got a music book of some sort, which was a little odd. He didn't even really need the money but it would have been nice to have 50 more bucks to spend here.
[+] The Past
Image Image Image

Kills: 2 | Equipped with: Scoped Raging Bull, $1000, Wooden Baseball Bat, Eyepatch, Pancor Jackhammer

[+] The Future
ImageImageImageImage

Nicholas "Nick Andretti" Andretti — The Mercenary — "Have a problem? I can help you. For a price."
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

"That sounds like a pretty okay deal," BB said. "Where do you think the cash went, though?"

Was Jeremy implying that his parents or teachers made off with the fruits of his success, or just that nobody ever got around to giving him his prize? Of course, it probably didn't matter much either way; BB doubted that his winnings would amount to anything notable in the first place. It was hard to make money with music, at least in high school. Peyote Coyote couldn't even follow the time-honored tradition of playing for drinks, what with all of them being under twenty-one.

BB was sort of going on cruise control now, really. The other idea, the one she wasn't quite sure about, was bouncing around and seeming more and more attractive by the moment. In fact, she'd become so focused on her conversation and her thoughts that she'd sort of lost track of what she'd been doing beforehand. The album, her find, the center of her attention a few minutes ago, was almost forgotten in her hand now. Had she been meaning to look for any other CDs? She couldn't really recall.

"I mean, someone must have done something with it, right? You think your teachers are blowing your winnings on strippers and weed or something?"

She smirked a little there and raised an eyebrow.
Yugikun

Post by Yugikun »

"I doubt that any stripper worth $50 would really be worth the money, to be honest." Was $50 the right number? Could be, it kinda seemed right. He would normally say that he had a good memory but he couldn't remember any of the numbers, just that there was money probably involved in the winnings. To be fair, they were numbers from around half a year ago, and with more important numbers such as dates, he couldn't really fault himself for not remembering them. Plus, there was the possibility that the numbers didn't even exist, all he saw was a piece of paper about the competition with numbers and money on it; it probably could have been an entrance fee, but he doubted that entering a competition would cost over $50.

Still, there was the question that BB asked. If there were winnings (which there likely were, at least for one of the competitions he entered), where did they go?

"They probably did go to my teachers, though, thinking about it. I normally sign up for competitions through my teachers so if there was money, it probably went to them." And yet his family still had to pay $300 a term (hey, he remembered that number, kinda hard not to though when your dad shouts it at you every time you don't feel like practicing), so if what he said was correct were his teacher's taking a little bit of extra money from him? Were the contest winnings actually considered as part of the payment for his lessons?

So many questions.

"Oh well, it's not like I really need it or anything. There's enough things I have for free already that make passing the time easy." Like YouTube, for example, or literally anything on the internet. Sometimes it felt that he was born in the wrong century but he couldn't deny that he had a lot at his fingertips.
[+] The Past
Image Image Image

[+] The Future
ImageImageImageImage

MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

BB didn't tell Jeremy that while you might not be able to afford a stripper, you could get at least a bit of sort-of-okay weed for fifty bucks, but she thought it. Instead she said, "Yeah, there's a lot of cool free stuff online.

"Sometimes stuff's worth spending money for, though," she added, holding up her CD. "The good stuff, you know. Food, music, vacations. Gifts for people. Strippers valued higher than fifty bucks."

And then she took the plunge. She really hoped she wouldn't regret this.

"Some of those silly high school memory deals too, like prom and stuff. And, you know, that Sadie Hawkins thing in a couple days. Only I, um, don't exactly have anyone to go with right now. So I was wondering maybe if you're in the same situation. I mean it's not exactly piano-leaning..."

She'd had some more thoughts and caveats and second-guessing, but it seemed wise to maybe hold off on that for the moment. She'd taken the plunge, so now it was time to wait, and to hope that she hadn't made an awful mistake, and also that the rest of the band wouldn't give her tons of shit about this.
Yugikun

Post by Yugikun »

"I mean, you could probably still find some of those things on the internet for free," Jeremy said, referring to music and... maybe the strippers? He wouldn't be surprised if there were some strippers cheap enough to do it for free out there. Of course if they were doing it for free then they'd probably be terrible strippers but still, that didn't disprove the notion. Detail. "But go on." Jeremy was a little interested in this... pretty forced segue that BB was going on. It was pretty obviously leading to something interesting. Maybe once she got to the point he'd mock how corny she was sounding right now. It'd probably make her laugh. Way she was talking it seemed like she knew how corny she was being too.

And then she basically asked him out to the dance.

"You know... um... you... kinda sounded corny saying that... um... BB."

She had asked him out to the dance.

That... wasn't exactly what he was expecting her to say. And it wasn't the thing he wasn't expecting but was secretly hoping for, either. BB asking him out just kinda came out of the blue and he wasn't really sure how to respond to it.

The Sadie Hawkins dance was certainly something that he knew about, considering the whispers that he had heard around school. He wasn't really that interested in going, though. The event kinda required the girls to ask out the boys and... going out with someone who was interested in him wasn't really a mistake that he wanted to make again. Going stag seemed pointless, and his parents were going out to some party or whatever, so he decided that he was going to have the night to himself a bit. Play games. Watch the newest episode of Worlds Apart when it came on. Maybe get over his loss and finish Bravely Default.

Y'know, normal things. What he always did when an event like the dance came up. What he always did when he had to stand up and take charge because he just wasn't that type of guy. He wasn't the strong, outgoing leader that his parents wanted him to be; he was the introverted, moody, and selfish kid who rushed into something too quickly a long time ago who was still paying the price for it today.

So for the second time now: When BB asked him out to the dance, he had no clue how to respond.

"I... um... was planning on staying home and doing things then."

Jeremy's hands tightened slightly, and he tapped his fingers against his waist, looking away from BB. Again, still not sure whether to say yes or no. He liked BB (well, not in that way, but still), and he didn't want to disappoint her, but there was just something in the back of his mind telling him to say no. That it'd go as terribly as it did last time. But still, he didn't want to be rude to her, and he knew her enough, more than he knew about Cadeyn during middle school.

Besides, it wasn't like this was actually a date or anything, he didn't have to take it so seriously.

"But yeah, I'm single," he spoke out, turning back to face BB. "I was planning on staying home on the night, but I can totally come with you, if you want."
[+] The Past
Image Image Image

[+] The Future
ImageImageImageImage

MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

"That'd be great," BB said, "but, uh, but only if you want to. If you don't, that's fine and I won't be mad or bite your head off or anything. I just thought it could be fun and..."

She trailed off there. Jeremy's assent had been kind of lukewarm, but she'd also totally sprung it on him and hadn't been very smooth about it. It seemed like Jeremy didn't even quite get what she was talking about at first, but she took a little solace in the fact that he was just as stumbling and unsure in his response. He also covered some ground she hadn't even thought of; she'd sort of just assumed he was single and maybe that wasn't exactly being fair to him but she was really glad she'd been right. It'd've just been the nastiest, bitchiest thing to ask out someone's boyfriend, and all the worse to do it by mistake.

"It'll be really low pressure," she said, leaning back a little and absentmindedly turning the CD in her hands. She was trying really hard to keep eye contact when really she mostly wanted to look at her feet. Was she coming on too strong? Standing too close? It hadn't been too close when they were just talking about music. "It's just, you know, nobody wants to go to a dance alone and there's this whole subverting-of-gender-norms thing going on this time and normally I'm all for that but it sorta sucks when I don't benefit. And anyways, you're pretty cool, so I thought it'd be fun."

And really, that was basically all there was to it. She was stressing too much. She wasn't asking Jeremy to marry her or anything. It was just going to a dance together, because he did seem pretty cool and it had been a while since BB had been to a dance let alone with someone. There weren't too many left in her high school career—actually, she was pretty sure it was just Prom after this—and sure you could go dance in clubs after graduation, but that was a whole different dynamic from what she'd seen and heard. She needed to just relax about this. That was the whole point of it, after all.
Yugikun

Post by Yugikun »

"Oh, no, it's fine! Really, it is. I wasn't really planning on doing anything that night anyway," Jeremy said, waving his hands around in the air. It might have sounded higher pitched and kinda like the way the people in the movies say things when they're obviously lying and trying not to get caught, but this time, it was true. Well, he was going to mess around on the computer that night but that didn't really actually count as anything, right? Plus, he kinda needed to reassure BB a bit; she was acting as awkward as he was right now, looking at him as if she wanted to be literally anywhere but here. Plus, she kinda trailed off near the end there, so it was probably best to reassure her (or something like that, anyway), especially considering that it seemed that he was going to go out with her for the dance.

BB continued speaking, mentioning the girls ask boys out thing that the dance was based around. Jeremy still didn't really get that part to be honest. If they wanted to help out equality wouldn't it be best if they just encouraged it rather than made it mandatory? Eh, not his problem. It was probably Emma's idea and Jeremy imagined that she was smart enough to know where she was going with this. Besides, it wasn't like he was going to ask anyone out if he did have the power to, anyway.

And that wasn't even the main point of what she said. The main point was that she wanted to go out with him and have a good time, and that was something he could totally get behind, so long as like, Cadeyn didn't tag along or anything.

"One problem though. My parents were planning on locking me in that night since they don't trust me with keys for some reason." Okay, admittedly they were right there. Jeremy couldn't handle a key for shit. He remembered when he had to feed his aunt's cats when he was away and he was fairly sure half that time was spent unlocking and unlocking the garage. "I'm pretty sure my parents will be okay with me going out with someone, but I doubt that I'll be able to get back in until they come home from a work party. So if- when I come with you I'll need to figure out a place to crash for the night. You know anywhere I can go?"
[+] The Past
Image Image Image

[+] The Future
ImageImageImageImage

MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

"Hmm," BB said. "I'm sure we can figure something out. We could probably hang out at my place, or maybe my brother's depending on what my parents have planned. Or sometimes people have things afterwards, parties and stuff, but we'd probably have to gate crash unless we can beg invites and I'm not sure that's worth the effort."

Okay, good. It seemed like this was actually going to happen now, so she could stop worrying about that part and start worrying about the rest of it. The dance was actually really soon, and she'd sort of been hoping to go but hadn't really pulled all that much together. There would be a good bit of last minute preparation on her end. She idly wondered whether anyone else in the band would even turn up. It didn't exactly seem like their scene, but on the other hand they did all know how to have a good time and they liked music, if not the sort likely to be played at the dance.

She sort of glossed over the whole thing about Jeremy's parents. It was a little strange, yeah, but who knew why they didn't want him having access to keys? Maybe he was the sort to invite people over without asking—in fact, since that was pretty much what he was saying he couldn't do here, that sounded fairly likely.

"This'll be really fun," she added. "Thanks for agreeing to come with me."
Yugikun

Post by Yugikun »

"Staying at your place seems nice," Jeremy said, now no longer leaning on the music store's shelf. Crashing at someone else's place for the night did sound fun, if a little odd. He hadn't slept over at someone else's place since... God, probably since before high school started. After around late middle school he had just kinda stopped getting invitations like that. Not that he missed doing them, though. If he wanted to talk to someone outside of school he could just talk to them via email or Facebook or Skype or something like that, and it wasn't like he was freely inviting people over to where he lived either. Besides, it wasn't like possibly staying over at BB's place was a bad thing or anything, just... again, a little odd. A blast from the past but not one that he had expected.

"And I'm cool with going to a party, just so long as like, nobody steals something from the party holder and blames me for it." Okay, might not make sense to BB, but it was something Jeremy had to put out there. He did not want the thing that happened at the picnic table that lunchtime to happen again. "No drugs or alcohol either. I'm pretty sure my parents would throw me down a well or something if I came home drunk or drugged out." Again, something he had to put out there. He doubted that BB was that kind of person but like, he just had to make sure.

"But besides that I'm like, a hundred percent sure that this is going to be fun. I mean, the dance seems fun and you're a pretty cool person and..." Wait, was he blushing? Hopefully not, he didn't want to give off the wrong impression. This was just going to be a fun night out shared with a fun person. Nothing more than that.

"But no, really, pleasure's on you. I should be the one saying thanks for you inviting me," Jeremy said, looking down slightly while stroking the hair at the back of his head.
[+] The Past
Image Image Image

[+] The Future
ImageImageImageImage

MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

"Don't worry," BB said, "my parents would kill me if I came home drunk too. And no problem on the invite. It's really my pleasure."

Truthfully, drinking a little wouldn't be bad at all on a normal night, but the very fact of it being a dance meant her parents would likely be more on-guard than usual, and BB worked really really hard to make sure they didn't learn about any of her escapades. It wasn't really fair; they seemed way more wary about that sort of stuff than most of her classmates' parents, probably because of how her brother had been. She sort of wondered how Jeremy felt about booze personally. He'd used his parents as a reason, but BB was aware that parents were also a really convenient excuse when people pressured you to go beyond your comfort zone. Then again, she hadn't actually suggested anything, and her reputation around school was pretty clean. She also wasn't even the sort to go out and get smashed all the time, so she was probably way overthinking this.

"Here," she said, "let me give you my number. We can figure out the ride situation and coordinate everything so we don't end up, I don't know, stranded in the desert in the middle of the night with a bunch of rattlesnakes or something."

She dug out her phone, tucking her CD under her arm, figuring Jeremy would likely reciprocate. It'd also be good to get his number so she could text him a bit before the dance, maybe get both of them a bit more at ease with each other. She wanted to make sure he wash comfortable interacting with her since they were going to be spending quite a bit of time together.
Yugikun

Post by Yugikun »

"Well, there's one problem taken care of. Your pleasure it is, then," Jeremy said, smiling a little bit. There was more than one problem taken care of there, but saying "well, that's multiple problems taken care of" didn't quite have as good a ring to it. At least he knew now that if he went out with BB he wouldn't come wasted and hungover. Again, he didn't imagine that BB would be like that, but hey, he still had to make sure. He... still didn't really know much about her, and when he saw her at school he generally saw her around the stoners, so yeah. He trusted her and she seemed okay but again, still a good idea to make sure. At least that was out of the way now.

Of course, there was still the possibility that if he went to the dance with her he'd wake up in a bathtub in the middle of the desert with all his kidneys gone, but that seemed incredibly unlikely in the grand scheme of things, especially now he knew that there wasn't going to be any drugs involved.

BB then asked for his number and started reaching into her bag and Jeremy kinda waved his hands around for a bit trying to get her to stop.

"I don't have a phone. Official reason is that my parents don't trust me as usual but real reason is that I never really thought I needed one," he said quickly, speaking without putting any spaces between words. Really, he didn't really think he needed one. Only actual benefit he could see was that it was the easiest way to talk to people outside school since basically everybody had a phone. Considering that most people still had email/social media and considering the likelihood that he'd get addicted to like, a not even good game like Candy Crush or Hearthstone and the risks easily outweighed the benefits when it came to having a phone.

"I do still have email slash social media, though; so we could talk there if you like," Jeremy said more slowly this time. No need to really speak as quick as he had now, considering BB had already got her phone out before he finished.
[+] The Past
Image Image Image

[+] The Future
ImageImageImageImage

MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

"Yeah, that works," BB said. "I can jot down your email here, and send you my number later in case you want to call from your home phone."

She was assuming Jeremy had a home phone—otherwise, what was the plan if his house caught on fire and he had to call for help or something?—but email and all that was really fine if that was what he preferred. BB wasn't a really huge social media person but she knew her way around it at least and if that was the way to communicate then so be it. Jeremy's not having a cell phone was, well, pretty weird in her opinion, but the intriguing kind of weird, the sort she could respect. Plus, written communication had the advantage of giving her a little time to figure out exactly how to phrase things. Tone was harder to get down in text, but people tended to be aware (and thus forgiving) of that fact.

"This should be great," she said. "I'll make sure to get hold of you so we can sort everything out, and then it'll be here before we know it."

She flipped the CD over a couple more times, and then became a little more aware of it. Right. She and Jeremy had come here with to buy music, and there was a good chance he'd want to get his mom her gift and get on with his day.

"I'm glad we bumped into each other," BB said. "I'll see you in a couple days."

Return to “Before the Dance”