The Second Mistake

HEY RC I CAN MAKE SONGS AFTER LYRICS NOW TOO (Private)

Here is where preparations or date arrangements for the dance can take place. Remember, tradition dictates it's ladies' choice! This forum covers events directly related to the dance from two days before the event until the start of the dance itself.
Yugikun

The Second Mistake

Post by Yugikun »

The sun blared down on the Kingman roads as Jeremy Frasier looked at both sides of the road, trying to see if any cars were coming. He saw one that was just about to turn onto Main Street, but that was fine. He cut across the road, taking hurried steps across so as not to get run over. He could have walked the rest of the footpath to get to the traffic lights, true, but it was quicker if he just crossed in the middle; and if he went to the lights he'd have to wait like, five minutes before they allowed him to cross the road. Besides, there weren't that many cars out right now. He was in between rush hours, it seemed, and the Kingman Sun probably persuaded families to just stay in the house all day and laze around. He liked that. It was easier to cross roads and there were going to be less assholes driving around the streets looking for people to mock. Considering the mood Jeremy was in right now, he was likely going to be less appreciative of those people than he was normally.

He had at this point crossed the street, and he took the first steps inside Kingman's record store. It was a pretty cool place. He never came here that much but it wasn't because he didn't like it or anything. CDs of all genres lined its walls, and he knew that it was going to be a little bit troublesome to get his mom a gift for her birthday. He placed his hand into his pocket and felt the $30 stuffed in there. His $30, that he was planning on saving so that he could get something that he wanted. He was expecting his dad to give him the necessary money since he was the one being so gung-ho about him getting a mother a birthday present but nope, apparently he "couldn't be trusted with the family's money" because of something that he had done by accident nearly a quarter of a year ago. He protested against that, but his father threatened him and basically said that if he didn't treat him as the supreme lord of the house he'd get grounded. God, he couldn't wait until he could graduate and leave the house.

Anyway, he looked around. The place was kinda big, and he didn't really know where to start. He knew his mother's tastes a little, he knew the album that she was super into at this moment (a giant mess that was a massive fall from grace for Coldplay and easily the worst of their albums so far) but he didn't know what in relation to that she'd like. She probably owned all Coldplay's albums already, she already owned all of the Killers' albums already, so he probably had to go somewhere new.

Well, he knew that Coldplay leaned more towards pop, and that the Killers were classified as pop for reasons completely unknown for Jeremy, so going to the pop section seemed like a good place to start. He took a couple steps towards the pop section, seeing what other genres the store had on offer. He preferred to buy on itunes, but having a physical copy of the album was worth having to rip the songs onto his laptop.
[+] The Past
Image Image Image

B003: Jeremy Frasier — "Yeah. No regrets." — 57%
Kills: 2 | Equipped with: Scoped Raging Bull, $1000, Wooden Baseball Bat, Eyepatch, Pancor Jackhammer
PREGAME — Past: ☆ ☆ ☆ | Present: ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ | Sadie Hawkins: ☆ ☆
V6: ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
THEME: OneRepublic — Love Runs Out

B013: Alvaro Vacanti — "Thank... you..." — 41%
Kills: 3 | Equipped with: MAC-10
PREGAME — Past: ❇ ❇ ❇ | Present: ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ | Sadie Hawkins: ❇ ❇
V6: ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇ ❇
THEME: The Megas — The Haystack Principle

G030: Jasmine King — "I win." — 11%
Kills: 0 | Equipped with: Brass Knuckles
PREGAME — Past: | Present: ☻ ☻ ☻ | Sadie Hawkins: ☻
V6: ☻ ☻ ☻ ☻ ☻
THEME: Luck Ganriki — golden sneer
[+] The Future
ImageImageImageImage

Nicholas "Nick Andretti" Andretti — The Mercenary — "Have a problem? I can help you. For a price."
Clover Wilkinson-Crowheart — The Cryptid — "Don't... talk to me..."
Teddy "Theodore" Berenson — The Crusader — "Be excellent to each other."
Yong Yi "Penny" Yu — The Burnout — "I DO TWO THINGS I RAP AND FUCK"
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

In the cosmic scheme of things, the record store rated "mediocre," but given the competition in Kingman it got bumped up to "solid" or even "good," especially when the stock had been recently rotated. Unlike Target, the proprietors realized that metal was in fact no longer best represented by a "Best of Black Sabbath" CD and whatever Five Finger Death Punch put out most recently. The prices weren't too bad either, especially if you bought used. BB could pretty reliably get what she wanted for eight to twelve bucks—less if it had sat for a while or was scuffed a bit or was one of those advance CDs with "DO NOT SELL THIS, PROPERTY OF THE RECORD LABEL" stamped all over it and ended up in clearance.

Usually, BB just browsed through the store to see what she could find. Her route took her through most of the genres, not because she found too much in a number of them, but because sometimes things got misshelved and sometimes she'd also see what other people were checking out and either learn about a new group or judge her fellow shoppers for their abysmal taste.

Today, though, BB was looking for something specific over in the metal section. There was a lot of buzz about this new album coming out by a group called Liturgy, and while she was pretty sure she'd seen some of their older stuff mentioned before, she'd never actually listened to any of it.

Liturgy didn't have their own tab, but there in the generic Ls, BB found a CD of theirs with a white cover featuring two black crosses side by side, the lefthand one upside down. It was labelled "Aesthetica" and perhaps more importantly it had a sticker on it that said it was four bucks, which was the perfect price to check out a group. So BB picked it up and, primary mission accomplished, was feeling pretty good as she turned to scout out the rest of the store. It was a pretty quiet day, not many people browsing, and so it caught her interest when the door opened.

Her attention was drawn even further by the figure who entered the store. Jeremy. Someone decently cool, someone who stepped up and played along when she decided to joke around in the lunch room. So BB gave a nod and a wave in Jeremy's general direction.
Yugikun

Post by Yugikun »

Jeremy saw someone waving to him from the metal section, so he looked up from his feet to see who it was. Hey, it was BB! He expected it to be one of the people he passed in the halls but hadn't talked to, so this happened to be a pretty pleasant surprise! They hadn't been able to talk much to each other since the snark fight, none of their classes lined up and they were in two completely different social circles. Still, he hadn't forgotten about his humiliation at the cafeteria the first day back, and it seemed that she hadn't forgotten either, considering her greeting to him. It seemed that if he continued walking forward, he'd have to have another encounter with the person he beat him. He would have liked to say that he had prepared since then, but.. nope. He kinda did the same shit he always did the last couple of months. Play video games, check the internet, watch Survivor, occasionally do homework if it was like, the last day before it was due. He hadn't practiced, and if he continued, it would show.

However, he had come into the store for a reason, and that reason was to buy him mom a CD as a birthday present. He'd probably get shouted at if he came home without anything in his hands, so it seemed he had no choice. He marched on forward, into the store.

First, he went into the pop section, which was... goddammit it was next to the section BB was in. He walked through the row, taking a cursory look at the CDs and thinking about if his mom would like them or not. He said an upbeat "Hey!" as he passed BB, before stopping at the I section. Imagine Dragons. That was the band that played Radioactive, right? He had heard the Weird Al parody and he loved the Weird Al parody and although he knew that his mom hated Weird Al for some reason, he figured that it was Coldplay like and parsed through their CDs, looking to see which one had the coolest sounding songs.
[+] The Past
Image Image Image

Kills: 2 | Equipped with: Scoped Raging Bull, $1000, Wooden Baseball Bat, Eyepatch, Pancor Jackhammer

[+] The Future
ImageImageImageImage

Nicholas "Nick Andretti" Andretti — The Mercenary — "Have a problem? I can help you. For a price."
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

"Hey," BB said as Jeremy passed and greeted her. He was heading towards the pop section. This was probably gonna be good. She gave him a second or two to fall into his routine, then followed. She moved pretty slowly, thinking she'd probably have better luck catching him with something embarrassing if he didn't realize she was there. He was flipping through the I section and, as she got closer, she saw he was specifically looking through the works of Imagine Dragons.

That was, well, okay, that was pretty bad. Still, she supposed it could be worse. There was at least the possibility Jeremy was appreciative of their status as a semi-local band, and they certainly weren't the most offensive thing on the charts in the past few years, even if they were one of the most persistent. They had a new album that had just come out or was coming out soon or something; BB's eyes had sort of glazed over when she tried to comprehend the differences between the deluxe, digital deluxe, super deluxe, and Target-exclusive editions on their Wikipedia page.

"What're you looking at there?" she asked, stepping up closer to Jeremy. She already knew, of course, but how he responded would give her a good idea how to approach this.
Yugikun

Post by Yugikun »

Okay, turns out that Imagine Dragons only had two albums, aside from live concert CDs that were more expensive and probably not worth it since he didn't know if his mom would like it yet. Night Visions and Smoke + Mirrors weren't really interesting or sparky names for albums, and they didn't really tell him much about what they were like (although most albums didn't really tell much about the songs in the first place, he needed to take a look at the previews on itunes or YouTube or somewhere else). He was leaning towards Night Visions more, mostly because it was the one that had Radioactive on it and it didn't use a + instead of an and in the title despite using an and in the titular song. He wasn't going to buy anything just yet, though. He should check out the store more first, maybe there was something else that he knew that his mom would like. Maybe The Killers or Coldplay did another live show and made a CD out of it that his mom hadn't gotten yet.

He jumped as BB snuck up from behind him and asked what he was looking at. When did she move? He could have sworn she was still at the metal section. He spun around and there she was. Apparently she had learned to teleport since the encounter at the cafeteria because there was no way anyone could move that fast without being seen. It was a pretty good skill to have for someone snarky like her; if she took someone by surprise like that it'd be much harder to make a foolproof response, and whatever technique this was, it was working on Jeremy. Not wanting to look like an idiot or someone who planned too much, he opted to just go for the truth. If he said it in a direct enough wording it'd be harder to get a response out of it.

"Imagine Dragons. I need to get something for my mom's birthday and she listens to Ghost Stories all the time so I was looking for something similar."
[+] The Past
Image Image Image

[+] The Future
ImageImageImageImage

MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

"Oh, thank goodness," BB said. "I thought you were looking for yourself."

Out of touch moms were exactly the demographic BB associated with the type of music Jeremy was talking about, really. It was bland, safe, radio-friendly stuff that was just adventurous enough to let people claim they were into "weird" songs or thought outside the box while at the same time being safe and conventional enough to ensure no actual listening challenge of any sort. Even some of the stuff the rest of the band was into edged close to complacent-FM-listeners territory in BB's opinion, but it was miles ahead of this stuff.

"You have to be careful what you get your parents, though," she said. "If you pick something they like too much, then all of a sudden it's Mumford and Sons every time they drive you to school."

She took a glance at the other artists in the I section, looking for something that could be Jeremy's salvation; the pickings were pretty meager, but one option stood out to her quickly.

"She might like Iron and Wine," BB said, gesturing at the tab. "They're folksy, pretty quiet, inoffensive, but won't make you claw your ears out."
Yugikun

Post by Yugikun »

"Well, I haven't really listened to Mumford and Sons, but I've listened to Little Lion Man and that's better than anything in Ghost Stories at the very least." Oh wait, shit. He just set himself up for something there, didn't he? Note to self: Don't give opinions about things you've barely listened to. You're likely going to get proven wrong or mocked if you do that. He already knew that Imagine Dragons was apparently not that great considering BB's reaction to what he said. Mumford and Sons apparently wasn't that great, either, so it was better to edit what he just said. "I mean, if it turns out that they're like, an eskimo throat singing band or something like that I can probably convince them to turn on the Killers. I like listening to them, at least. Don't really know their reputation among music super fans, though." Music super fans referring to BB, of course, if that wasn't transparent enough. If he was going to get humiliated again, he may as well start it and turn it into a humbling experience or something like that.

BB pointed towards a band he had never heard of before, and recommended it to his parents. Iron and Wine. He picked up one of their albums, the front cover depicting a bearded man laying on the grass. Was he supposed to be Jesus? The beard was the same colour, and "Iron and Wine" sounded a bit like a Christian band. Not that that was a bad thing, though. If it was a Christian band it'd at least be better than B-Shoc, and BB gave it her recommendation so it couldn't be mediocre, or anything. "I'll take your word for it," he said to BB, picking up the CD with the man on the grass. "I can't really listen to it in the store so I guess I'll have to hope you're not trying to trick me with this." He flashed a small grin to her. Maybe he should have checked around on ITunes or YouTube before he went out here, getting an idea of what to buy before he went out to buy it was a pretty good idea in hindsight.
[+] The Past
Image Image Image

[+] The Future
ImageImageImageImage

MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

"I'm not tricking you," BB said. "Even if it'd be pretty funny to give your mom black metal."

BB was actually pretty proud of the fact that most people went "What the fuck is this?" when she played her favorites for them, and she had a quick moment of regret that she hadn't told Jeremy to buy his mom Earth 2 or something like that. There was this whole branch of drone that used pretty landscapes and such for their album covers, and while in most cases it was absolutely fitting it also made it fairly easy to pass the albums off as something else.

She leaned back and smiled and tried to catch Jeremy's gaze. There was something else he'd said that also caught her interest, something that she could use to poke a little and see if he knew what he was talking about.

"But, hey, you're the one trying to trick me," she added. "First you say you haven't really listened to Mumford and Sons, then you tell me you know 'Little Lion Man.' So which is it?"
Yugikun

Post by Yugikun »

"Well now that you say that there's absolutely no way I can trust you now." He looked at the CD again. It didn't really look like anything bad. Then again, that was how Darius had tricked him into listening to B-Shoc. He kinda just linked it into a skype chat and Jeremy clicked on it and he decided to leave it in the background for a bit and he only noticed it when it became hilariously terrible. In that case though it was just Darius linking shit as a joke. If he gave a B-Shoc album to his mom for her birthday he doubted that she'd like it that much. Plus, this was BB. There was just something about her that wasn't really that trustworthy in the first place. Her smile and lean alone would have set off the fire alarm at his place.

But still, she was gazing at him with that look in her eyes begging for him to challenge her, and- shit, he was game. He had fallen for the trap hook line and sinker, and there was no way he was going to get out of it now.

"I've only listened to Little Lion Man. Besides..."

He grinned, returned her gaze.

"I said that I haven't really listened to Mumford and Sons. That's not the same as me saying I haven't listened to it at all. Geez, BB, you get good grades in class. I thought that you'd at least know that."
[+] The Past
Image Image Image

[+] The Future
ImageImageImageImage

MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

BB chuckled.

"Oh, no, I know what you said," she said. "It's just, like... that means you've heard Mumford and Sons. You understand the sum totality of their artistic output. I'm not kidding here. You buy one of their albums, it's 'Little Lion Man' for forty minutes straight."

Jeremy was getting the benefit of the doubt at the moment because his tone was in keeping with their less-than-serious throw down in the lunchroom previously and because BB was actually right about Mumford and Sons so she wasn't feeling particularly threatened by his jab. In fact, her grin widened; she'd found the album she wanted cheap, and Jeremy seemed like he was in the right sort of mood to joke around. BB actually did pay decent attention to the situation most of the time, and a lot of her classmates weren't the sort of people to appreciate her jokes. If Jeremy was alright with them, well, that meant she'd have a fun time.

"Besides," she said, "you know you can trust me. I play the bass. That means I'm reliable and mellow, but the guitarist gets all the girls."
Yugikun

Post by Yugikun »

...Was BB implying that the ladies wanted her? He wasn't quite sure what that last part meant. He was just going to ignore that last part, say something about how nobody remembered the bassist (which may or may not be true, he didn't know; he didn't really care for the band members personal lives when he listened to a song); but he just felt like she was trying to bait him with that. He leaned back, slightly. He remembered once in a drama class he took that it was kind of an instinctual reaction if you were near something. He never continued doing it (he hated the theory work, like goddammit can we just get to the fun stuff already), but he couldn't say that he hadn't learned anything from that class. He needed to think of a response back, but the weird-wordedness of what BB said made that a little hard.

Wait, wasn't she in a band with some of the other girls in the year? He remembered Jerry mentioning that during their duel at the cafeteria table. Could be something. Worth mentioning. Probably better than flat out insulting BB anyway.

"That true? Must make you real popular within the band then."

...Okay that probably wasn't the best response - kinda weird, actually - but there was nothing else he could really say, and he had to pass on the beach ball on fear of losing, so he didn't really have a choice there.
[+] The Past
Image Image Image

[+] The Future
ImageImageImageImage

MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

"Oh yeah. I'm pretty good as backdrop," BB said. "Cameron's kinda loud with the paint, and Vanessa's kinda... loud, so it's me and Brady holding down the fort and being unobtrusive. But when the fame gets to our heads and we have a messy public breakup, I'll have the best solo project."

Jeremy was being a pretty good audience here. BB was actually brushing on some stuff that was maybe slightly more serious than her tone implied. Peyote Coyote and its members meant a lot to her, but the dynamic was a little different now that Coleen was involved, and BB couldn't be entirely confident that the band wouldn't just dissolve overnight one of these days. And even if they did last through this change in shape, what after graduation? They might end up scattered across the state, or even the country. Would the others even keep up with music?Would they still be friends?

But right now she was in one of her places, in the record store surrounded by more music than she would ever listen to, with the racks and bookcases and dusty corners of the floors, the not-quite-sufficient lighting and the posters for gigs before she was born up on the walls, and that made it a safe place to joke about these things and channel her worries into hyperbole.

"You really should come to one of our shows sometime," BB said, focusing more fully on Jeremy and restoring her smile, which had dropped slightly. "The pyrotechnics are badass."
Yugikun

Post by Yugikun »

"How big a breakup are we talking about here? Would it get more tweets than the Germanwings Crash?"

Jeremy smiled, slightly, to keep the jokey mood going; but it was fairly clear that BB was serious when she said that. Her smile had dropped a bit, her tone became more... serious? Somber? He wasn't quite sure what the appropriate word was, but it seemed slightly sadder than before. How much did she care about the band? Clearly she wanted people to see her play, considering her invitation for him to see them play, but Jeremy figured that if he was part of a band he'd not want any of his friends to know about it, kinda like some of his other musical stuff, really. Eh, he didn't really know. BB was a different person and he doubted that everybody thought things the way he did. What he did know though was that she invited him over for a show, and he should probably respond to that.

"Depends? What genre do you do?"

He shifted his back, started pulling down his shirt.

"I mean, you're great and all, you're probably going to have to drag me if it was like, a..."

Wait, what was a shitty band that he could use as an example? Like, not so bad it's good like B-Shoc, something actually terrible which wasn't too much of a common target like Nickelback.

"Hang on, what's a terrible band I can say that you're a cover band of as an example of something I wouldn't listen to? Literally nothing is coming to my mind except for Nickelback and that's too easy a joke to make."
[+] The Past
Image Image Image

[+] The Future
ImageImageImageImage

MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

"Brokencyde's the first thing that comes to mind," BB said. Hopefully Jeremy wasn't actually a closet Brokencyde fan. Someone theoretically had to like the group since it had sold a good number of albums, but BB had most recently heard about them in the context of their attempt to crowdfund a new album drawing less than forty backers. She was pretty sure even Peyote Coyote could pull more than that.

"And we're sort of hard-rock-slash-metal," she said. There was actually a very specific term for the genre Peyote Coyote fell into—stoner rock—but that wasn't something BB wanted to advertise right off the bat for several reasons. It wasn't a term that meant much to people who weren't at least loosely associated with the musical subculture, yet at the same time it was an unfortunately loaded term that could convey an incorrect, or at least partially so, impression. It had taken some work for BB to convince her family that the band's name was totally ironic. She had no idea what Jeremy would make of a more blunt summation, and even if she doubted he'd care too much, there was no reason not to tread a little lightly. Especially since he sounded like he might actually be interested, and when BB thought about it, she sort of liked the idea of Jeremy showing up to one of their shows.

"We kind of sound like Mastodon, The Sword, Torche, Queens of the Stone Age, that sort of thing," she said, naming a bunch of iconic stoner rock bands so just on the off chance Jeremy was familiar with the scene he'd get a clear picture. "And then, when we're working on my favorite stuff, we sound a little like Earth and Sleep."

She searched Jeremy's face for any hint of recognition.

"I also do some piano and keyboard, in case you want to be the Lucy to my... shoot, who was the guy who played piano in Peanuts?"
Yugikun

Post by Yugikun »

Oh yeah, Brokencyde. That was something he'd heard of before. Not really something he had heard of before, considering his main experience with the band was from Darius playing his prank playlist while trying and failing to be funny and he had heard all the songs from there so many times that they all just kinda blended in together after a while, so he knew that they existed, but nothing else. "Which one was Brokencyde again? I've heard of them before but I forget what they sounded like." Maybe he chose to forget it? He doubted it. He kinda just had an uncanny ability to remember things which totally sucked because sometimes he got spoiled on a plot element of a game or he saw the winner of a Survivor season because he clicked on one too many links. If he somehow managed to forget something that sucked, he'd be surprised.

BB then went ahead and explained the band's genre. Hard Rock/Metal, not a genre that he listened to much, but not something that he was naturally averse to like most types of classical. She went on to name the bands they sounded like and... nope. None of the bands BB named were stuff Jeremy had heard of before. Well, he had heard the name of Queens of the Stone Age before, but none of their songs, and the names of the others were completely new to him. He stared blankly for a bit. He looked kinda dumb, didn't he? He kinda liked considering himself to be well known in music and here he was being told about bands that he had never heard of before. Maybe he should actually pursue for new music to listen to, rather than just listening to the same stuff over and over again for a month. Maybe then he could back up his claims.

Thankfully, BB went on and started talking about something he actually knew about, and... wait, who was the piano kid in Peanuts again? He knew that he was totally focused on the piano and that Lucy had a crush on him (which kinda made the comparison a little odd, to be honest) and goddammit Jeremy you were in a Peanuts obsession phase for a month during year 10 you should know this. He knew that it started with an S, and that it was a name kinda familiar to him. S... S...

"Schroeder?" Jeremy asked. It seemed right, but it still felt kinda unfamiliar to him. "Besides, I'm the one here who's won awards for his piano playing skills. You're the one who should be leaning on the piano watching, not me." He let a grin show as he chuckled a bit, before going back to his regular smile.
[+] The Past
Image Image Image

[+] The Future
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Before the Dance”