Romeo And Juliet

'I forget, I forget, the movie song' - Scarlett McAfee's home

The area around Cochise High School is a quiet, sleepy place, composed almost entirely of small-to-medium-sized houses, with a couple apartment buildings on the far edges. The architecture of the area has a rustic feel to it, featuring lots of stucco and pastel colors, and many of the houses are extremely similar in floor plan due to being largely designed by one architect during a period of growth in the city, lending the area a feeling of sameness. The neighborhood exudes a friendly atmosphere between its twists and turns and tree-lined streets, and indeed the people in the area are known for their hospitality and welcoming nature to those around them, helping their neighbors out whenever necessary.
Primrosette

Post by Primrosette »

They had been silent when they were working through the acts and Scarlett preferred that. Although, there were some parts that she was confused about. But she knew that she would possibly figure it out later. Scarlett looked up a few times to peek at the other two. Ben seemed to be concentrating really hard on what he was doing. That was good. But Aiden.... She noticed that he seemed to be struggling. Scarlett felt a little sorry for him. Maybe they should have worked on it together in the first place. Scarlett stared back down at one of the pages and she suddenly heard Aiden talking to her.

Hm? A puzzle? An odd thing to ask her about. But maybe it would help Aiden relax. Scarlett glanced over at him and she closed her book. She made a mental note in her mind to remember what page she was on. She would have to show Aiden where some of the puzzle boxes have been stored away. She hadn't used one of them in about a year or so. So she was a bit glad that Aiden seemed interested in them.

"Well, it's not that weird of you to ask. Maybe a little. But yes, I do have some puzzles up in the attic. They might be kind of dusty but I hope you will be okay with that, Aiden." Scarlett said as she got up to her feet and she put her book down on the couch beside Ben. "I can show you them and you can pick out which one you would like to use."
[+] V7
ImageG006 - Violet Quinn: "T-Thank you.... Ned...."
ImageB033 - Adonis Cohen: "Thank.... T-Thank you, E-Emmett..."
ImageB045 - Emmett Bunnell: "Just.... breathe, you idiot...."(Adopted to Toxie!)
ImageB054 - Drew Woods: "D-Declyn, I love you..."
ImageB051 - Jonathan Meyers: “...that’s louder than bombs and eternity…” (Adopted from Yugikun!)
Cicada

Post by Cicada »

"Yeah, sure. First one's prolly not a tough act to follow."

Ben had given that one a chuckle. Pained, eyes rolling, but he'd gladly admit it was at least decent effort.

But the moment passed and things moved on.

Well, some things moved on... Yeah, it was kinda sad to watch. Ben didn't glance too much, wasn't his job or anything. His job was right fucking front and center, busily trying to gouge a dry papercut into his thumb. But the times he did look Beaks was running himself in circles over the same damn page, huffing and puffing a damn marathon in place with the No Fear edition. He had that look a kid his age only wore when homework or dinner hadn't agreed with them. Pretty ugly to witness. Ben had fucking called it, but the sad part of it all was that he wasn't even proud. It was one of those things you just don't get any points for, the stealing candy from a baby of prophecy.

Scarlett at least was putting in work, seemed a bit more comfortable now that everyone had shut up. She didn't seem anymore confused over any of it than he was, at least if he was scoping her progress out right. Okay, he was getting off track with all the people watching now. Front and center, Fields. Front and-

... Puzzle?

Maybe a little, Scarlett said. Ben would have put it a few notches higher than that. Free country, free speech and all, but what the hell was a puzzle supposed to accomplish here? Metaphor for how broken up and jumbled their collective literary understanding was? Too many damn metaphors on the floor as was. But Aiden wanted his happy pieces, and Scarlett was nobly throwing it all aside to satisfy Aiden's requests. Ben glanced at the book Scarlett placed onto the couch, then back at the other two with dull appraisal, the bridge of his nose a bit rigid suddenly.

"Hold up, chill for a second Scarlett," he curtly commanded. "Mind telling us what you need a puzzle for, Beaks? Not judging any religious preferences or political leanings or whatever you're rocking, but this doesn't seem very conducive to decoding us some Shakespeare."
V8 Vibes:
[+] Peace Only Under Liberty
Character Relation Planner! - I'll be responding to proposals and ideas in increments, please be patient!
V7 Vibes:
[+] Cicada Uses A Gun For The First Time
ImageB008, Demetri Futscher - Captain Of The USS Dekcuc - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 *
Image G018, Beryl Mahelona - Sleepyhead - 1 *
ImageG040, Camila Cañizares - Nightingale - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 *
ImageG060, Princess McQuillan - a flimsy purpose - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 *
ImageG065, Kelly Nguyen - everyone's friend - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Updated Character Appearances - Updated July 2020
Pregame Relationships
Rorick Skyve†

Post by Rorick Skyve† »

Huh. Had expected a different reaction from Scarls, like some gaze that said  'You nuts?' or 'Forgot to take your pill, boy?' - which like, wasn't even that wrong - but nope, not even close. Girl was actin' like he had asked her for a tissue or something, stuff as basic as cable. Had he like, missed a new trend, some sort of puzzle hype going on or something? Chick didn't even seem like she was 'puzzled' in the least. Yeah, he went there.

Still though, kinda odd. Kinda hilarious really, him being all weirded out by her not being all weirded out. Was enough to make him chuckle out loud, severe case of the giggles diagnosed. Like, best frickin' case scenario right there, Scarlett gave less fucks than a nun with herpes, wasn't even gonna make him feel all awkward. Was startin' to like her more and more by the minute. Past and all aside.

Aiden answered her proposition with a beaming smile and a hasty nod. Same reaction as though his sis had just asked him if he wanted himself some banana split. Hell fucking yes, now they were talking business. Woulda been even more perfect if the prosecution hadn't just raised an objection.

Yeah, already figured Ben McSourpuss over there would say something. Couldn't just chill and let them do their thing, like a good boy. Then again, couldn't really blame him, nope. Dude had probably just said the only rational thing that came out of anyone's pie-hole in the last few minutes. Deserved to get an answer to that question, so he did.

On the one hand, he had kinda wanted to avoid stuff like this, like, really wanted to avoid it, sure as shizzle. Having to explain himself, admit he was kinda slow with all that schooly stuff cause his brain was spewing crazy shit 24/7. But like, was kinda easier this way, wasn't it? Better than keeping his mouth all locked up like Fort frickin' Knox and letting them think he was two morons and a half. Yeah, opening up a bit couldn't hurt. Cut the tension a bit.

"First thing, gotta thank you Scarls, being willing to take your time 'n help me out with this, sweet as heck. Being a straight up lifesaver, so you are." He gave her a thumbs up, put the cherry on the cake that was his appreciation. Then he turned to Ben.

"So yeah, 'bout why I need those 'happy pieces' - sorry I call them that, old habit: Like, kinda hard sayin' this, puttin' it right'n all, but y'all have already noticed I'm not as fast with this kinda stuff, right? Shakin' spears and all, literature, that sort of stuff." He took a very short break, wiped his nose, was startin' to get all itchy, his ol' beak. "Got problems with keeping my eyes on the ball, you follow me? Stayin' focused, concentrate on something, I mean. I'll spare ya the details, not like this is a sleepover or something." Little grin, then he continued.

"To put it straight, puzzles help me with that, alright? Help me get on top of my game, get those gears in my head spinning. Sounds like I've cracked the crackpot, I know, but it's how it is. So, if you two could just be like 'No problemo here, all cool' , I'd really, really appreciate that." He ruffled his hair again, looking from one to the other, wearing a somewhat softer smile than usual. 'All rise, the verdict will now be announced.'
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Rorick Skyve. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Primrosette

Post by Primrosette »

Scarlett just stayed quiet as the other two were talking to each other. She felt like there was a bit of tension between Aiden and Ben. Sure, it was strange of Aiden to ask about puzzles. But it would be better to have him not looking like he was about to blow his top over reading the novel. Scarlett was struggling with it a little but she wouldn't lose her temper over it. She was glancing between the two of the guys. If it helped Aiden stay calm and collected, then she would be happy to not have a conflict between Ben and Aiden.

"Ben, it's fine. If he wants to use some puzzles then it should not be a problem. We will come right back after we get them. Okay?" Scarlett said quietly as she gave Ben a warm smile and then she started to walk out of the room slowly, glancing back at Aiden. "Let's get going, Aiden."
[+] V7
ImageB045 - Emmett Bunnell: "Just.... breathe, you idiot...."(Adopted to Toxie!)
ImageB051 - Jonathan Meyers: “...that’s louder than bombs and eternity…” (Adopted from Yugikun!)
Rorick Skyve†

Post by Rorick Skyve† »

'Let's get going, Aiden.'

Y'know how cats go apeshit over laserpointers like some fangirl in heat seeing her hunky hunk of a crush waltz around in underwear?  He could really sort of very much totally relate all of a sudden, outta the baby blue. Brain went overdrive mode for a flash second, puzzle hype taking over, neural revolution, baby!

All of that basically only amounted to Aiden jumping up and out of the room faster than he could even realize what the everloving frick he was doing himself, though his proper senses returned to him soon as he was standing directly in front of Scarlett. Whoa, had to tame that bronco taking control of his brain console. Hadn't managed to sort of pull himself together and pour out his heart all over those two only to fuck it up like a kid taking a golden shot of sugar. For goddamn real.

He turned around almost immediately, looking back into the living room and at Ben. Poor dude was prolly takin' him for even more of a whackity nutjob than before now, like, couldn't even blame the dude, not one itty bitty bit. Though his own mind was apparently back in relax-mode now, back to ten percent reasonable.  Had to at least acknowledge Ben some, couldn't just up and leave like some asshole. Not even his fucking pal Fergie would have pulled a move like that.

"Sorry for all that, dude. Prolly discombobulated you real good, didn't I?" He scratched his forehead for a short moment. "Whoa, no idea where I pulled that one out of. Didn't even know my vocabulary had that sorta potential, nope. Yeah, anyway, we'll be right back, so we will. Keep at it, tiger."

He ended his little speech with a wink, then swirled right around again, back at Scarlett. Girl was a good one, to be sure. Lotta heart, sure seemed like it. Patient too. Really was lucky he ended up with her on his team, so he did. Had to repay the favor somehow, some day. Unless he'd forget or some shit.

"Yeah, thanks a freakin' bunch again. I could kiss you, so I could!" He immediately raised his arms, going full on defense mode. "Didn't mean it like that, honest injun! Just gettin' all excited and stuff, been a while since I last had a good puzzle. I swear, gonna work hard as I can after that, hard as I ever worked. Won't regret having me with you, guys. Well, maybe a little bit."

With that, he gave Scarls a little pat on the shoulder and performed a kind of exaggerated gesture, meaning for her to lead the way.  He meant what he had said, he'd give it his all. Just had to kick-start his mind a little, puzzle should do the trick. Wasn't going to disappoint those two, especially not the lass, was too much of a sweetheart for that. Was gonna be fine, sure. No way he'd let the day take a turn for the worse now. He had this, was on top of his game. Beaks fired up and ready for ignition. Sharon woulda been proud.

((Aiden Slattery continued in What Are Little Boys Made Of?))
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Rorick Skyve. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Cicada

Post by Cicada »

Ben's expression didn't soften much, if any, he maintained the countenance of a Rushmore head. 'Not as fast', huh? Understatement of the twenty-first century. The limbless moved faster than this guy. Ben wasn't surprised that Beaks' self-diagnosis was attention-span issues. Sorta cop-out bull he'd come to expect, and take into account with people of this sort.

Anyways, it sounded stupid and it was as far as he was concerned. But effort not invested into cracking the Navajo of iambic pentameter- right term?- was wasted at this crucial juncture. Beaks was cool. Uncool as he was. And besides, Scarlett was vouching for him, with a smile no less. Ben wasn't letting that peace offering go unrewarded, what kind of guy would he have been otherwise? Ben raised a hand, swept it at Aiden dismissively:

"It's like you said: 'No problemo here, all cool'." A quote now to be formally attributed in all history texts to Benjamin Fields. Secondary source, at any rate.

They left, Ben could now go back to-

Wait, no. He needed to raise his eyebrows at one last thing. Physically this time, the old face caterpillars scurried up into his messy bangs. Aiden had proudly, loudly owned the room on his way out. Observing judges were preparing the 0/10 cards even before the uninspiring conclusion of the spastic 'toddler w/ sippy cup' routine. Capstone was the part where Beaks felt the need to try and excuse the inexcusable. Ben just shrugged sans commitment or care:

"No need to apologize, dude." Anyways.

They left. Ben could now go back to work.

((Ben Fields continued in Be Still))
V8 Vibes:
[+] Peace Only Under Liberty
Character Relation Planner! - I'll be responding to proposals and ideas in increments, please be patient!
V7 Vibes:
[+] Cicada Uses A Gun For The First Time
ImageB008, Demetri Futscher - Captain Of The USS Dekcuc - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 *
Image G018, Beryl Mahelona - Sleepyhead - 1 *
ImageG040, Camila Cañizares - Nightingale - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 *
ImageG060, Princess McQuillan - a flimsy purpose - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 *
ImageG065, Kelly Nguyen - everyone's friend - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Updated Character Appearances - Updated July 2020
Pregame Relationships
Primrosette

Post by Primrosette »

Scarlett had watched the scene unfold with Aiden and she couldn't help but feel slightly embarrassed. Aiden was possibly being too overjoyed with her wanting to help him out. Especially over some puzzles. Well, at least he was going to try to work afterwards. Should she get him one of the small puzzles? She wasn't sure which ones that he would like to use. She was now leaving Ben all by himself. But she was sure that he would be alright. Ben would possibly like the peace and quiet. From Aiden anyway.

Scarlett started to head up the stairs slowly with Aiden and she looked back at Aiden. He really didn't seem that bad. She may have really been a poor judge of character after what happened between Aiden and Bradley. She then thought that she should not be too uncomfortable around Aiden anymore. "That would be a great help if you can focus on the novel when you are done with one of my puzzles. Maybe you could learn something new." Scarlett was started off a conversation with Aiden, trying to get to know him more. "So, puzzles.... Which ones do you normally like to do, Aiden?"

((Scarlett McAfee continued in And Then A Star.....
[+] V7

Return to “The Neighborhood”