The Black River

A popular local family-run restaurant and bar, Cheryl's boasts great atmosphere and great service. Hosting many regular events that range from karaoke to quiz nights, Cheryl's provides many opportunities for a fun night out. The food has, for a long time, actually been a weak point of the restaurant, with a few very public incidents of food poisoning being traced back to the seafood six years ago. However, the subsequent addition of a new head chef has caused a big turnaround in the quality of the American style dining, turning Cheryl's into an all-around winner of an establishment, especially given its even greater recent focus on service and events in an effort to win back customers.
Deamon

The Black River

Post by Deamon »

((Cameron Herrig continued from Rays on Pinion))

Seven sisters sobbing by the shore
Longing for their lost loves whose ships sail no more
Waiting as the hours pass them by
Growing weak and weary until one by one they die

Cameron twirled her pencil around in one hand, sipping on her coffee with the other. She was doodling as she waited for Enzo to show up. They had decided to meet up for a coffee at Cheryl's after school and Cameron had arrived a little early. So to pass the time she had started drawing up ideas for potential body art for shows. Some of them were a bit more out there and she found she was spending more time actually thinking about what each one would actually look like than actually drawing them out but the end result for some of them had potential to look fairly interesting and cool. That was what made it rewarding.

Still it beat going home by a large margin. She actually preferred going to a place like Cheryl's because it let her put her headphones in and do her work in blissful ignorance. Plus she could hang out with friends at a cafe. She twirled a strand of copper hair around in her finger as she looked at the sketch in front of her. It was a basic outline of person (her) with no defining features, and lightning lancing down its face and body. It was a basic idea but lightning by itself was boring to her. It would need something else but she was stuck for what.

With a sigh Cameron flipped to a clean page in her sketchbook and went to work on a new outline. The lightning idea could join the other works in progress. Maybe she'd revisit it, maybe not. She never really knew with an idea that would be used at gigs. It had to be a certain standard but sometimes she said she'd put more work into one and she never did. Normally though when an idea grabbed her she finished it in on sitting. If that was the case things weren't looking good for the lightning idea and the others.
V8
Aracelis Fuentes
California “Cali” Fox
Darryl Smith Jr.
Jessica Romero
Roberta “Robbie” Woodvine
[+] V7
G047 - Aliya Kimia Nemati - Blowgun w/ 10 Poison Darts - you're nobody till somebody kills you - "I just wanted to talk." - DEAD
G001 - Arizona Butler - Camping Stove - Dead Bxdies in the Lake Part II - ""We got there eventually." - DEAD
B046 - Bret Carter - Weighted Net - Swerve - "I'll just be on my way and we can all continue with our evenings." - DEAD
G022 - Forrest Quin - Ball-gag and handcuffs - DRUGS SAV3D MY LIF3 - "Abe-" - DEAD
Namira

Post by Namira »

((Vincenzo Gatti continue from Puddles))

Today was A Girl Day (capitals necessary). There were girl days and guy days and sometimes neither, less often both. Today, however, was Girl with the large G.

Enzo couldn't really explain how the moods came and went. She suspected that if she could tell, then she would have published some kind of doctorate paper, or something. Doctor Gatti. Vincenza Gatti PHD. Vinny, master of ceremonies.

...In any case it had been stressful the entire time she'd been at school, for all the wrong reasons. Someone had seen fit to drop a little remark Enzo's way, and even though she didn't usually let that kind of thing get to her, the way that the guy had said it - the fact that it wasn't even someone that Enzo knew... well, she hadn't come as far as she had by being thin-skinned, but sometimes, you just got worn down.

She'd felt a little wobbly for the rest of the afternoon, at one point had almost felt on the verge of crying until she'd pushed it away with a surge of frustration and anger. Enza had been keeping ahead of the haters and the bigots for far too long to let just one idiot freshman upset her, right?

Still, Vinny had felt the need to vent, and that's why she'd arranged to meet up with Cameron after school. Cameron got it, in a kind of shit-talking way, though in this case, that was actually what she was after. She needed to just be with someone where neither of them needed to care about being offensive.

Enza tugged idly at the hem of her skirt as she stepped into Cheryl's, catching sight of Cameron straight away, but stopping a moment to adjust as her glasses' sun filter dropped off. That done, she headed on over, flopping down opposite.

"Sup, Sardine?"
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

((Coleen Reagan, continued from Joke's on you I don't link pregame threads))

Normally, a girl had to be careful to watch her figure. Plenty of exercise and eating healthy worked together in tandem to keep Coleen in shape for the stage, and she enjoyed looking reasonably attractive. Anything could be done in the name of beauty to compensate for the one blemish she could do nothing about, the cruel joke fate had played on her. All of these efforts were fine and good, but sometimes you just had to have a damn milkshake.

There wasn't a rehearsal after school today, so Coleen decided to fill the gap by heading into town and enjoying something cold at her favorite restaurant. She never liked heading home straight away; lately, her parents and her siblings had been driving her mad. Her room didn't quite feel like the ironclad sanctuary anymore. Instead, it felt like some sort of drive-by tourist attraction with everybody knocking to bother her. Sometimes Mom didn't even knock; she just barged right on in and started picking up laundry, no matter what Coleen was in the middle of. She nearly jabbed herself in the eye doing her makeup thanks to surprise interruptions, alongside other mishaps or embarrassments.

With a copy of the screenplay for Fiddler on the Roof tucked under her arm and her backpack loosely slung over the opposite shoulder, Coleen made her way into Cheryl's and dropped off her things at a booth near another occupied table. Tunnel-visioned on her own matters, she sat down and began idly flicking through a menu. She knew what she wanted. A single strawberry malt would be enough to get her through most of what she needed to memorize this afternoon. She set it down at the edge of the table and turned the screenplay around, tugging her hair away from her left eye so both of them could do their fair share of the work reading. She just needed to remember to throw it back when somebody came over to take her order.

Matchmaker, matchmaker, make me a match...
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

"Hey Human." Cameron said without looking up. She was busy scribbling an idea down on the paper. She knew it was Enzo though because of the voice and nickname. No one else called her Sardine, most people stuck with Cameron, Cammy or Cam. "Not much is up right now, just brainstorming paint ideas and ordering without waiting for you." She pointed at her coffee with her pencil to emphasize her point.

Setting the pencil down Cameron looked up at Enzo...correction Enza. It was a girl day. She knew that already, she had seen Vincenza earlier in the day. Sometimes she found it hard to remember though and she was also sure that it wasn't just her who had the issue. Regardless they were her friend so she had to put the effort in...most of the time.

"So, Mr Mrs Person. What's up with you?" Cameron asked as she took a sip from her coffee, watching as another student from their school walked in after Enza. She recognized them as Coleen Reagan, she was always noticable because of the bad case of melty face she had. Not that she could do anything about it, but her face did look like a waxwork figure with a candle on its left side. Returning her focus to Enza she spoke again. "Since I mean, you look like you want to get something off your chest."
V8
Aracelis Fuentes
California “Cali” Fox
Darryl Smith Jr.
Jessica Romero
[+] V7
G047 - Aliya Kimia Nemati - Blowgun w/ 10 Poison Darts - you're nobody till somebody kills you - "I just wanted to talk." - DEAD
G001 - Arizona Butler - Camping Stove - Dead Bxdies in the Lake Part II - ""We got there eventually." - DEAD
B046 - Bret Carter - Weighted Net - Swerve - "I'll just be on my way and we can all continue with our evenings." - DEAD
G022 - Forrest Quin - Ball-gag and handcuffs - DRUGS SAV3D MY LIF3 - "Abe-" - DEAD
Namira

Post by Namira »

Hearing the nickname was enough to make Vincenza crack a smile. Cameron was one of very few who actually turned the whole nickname thing back around on her; most of the time folks just seemed to accept it as one of the weird and wonderful things that she did. Enza reckoned that more people should try it. Much more fun than just using all the same labels as everyone else.

"Like a dagger to my heart," Enza gasped melodramatically, gazing at the coffee cup like it was the most tragic thing that she'd ever seen in her life. She did, of course, have that flair for theatrics. If she didn't have such a full extra-cirricular dancecard, then Vinny would have seriously considered adding drama to the list. But nah. Spreading herself too thin would just mean not getting enough done on any one thing, like scraping too little butter across too much bread.

"Me?" Vincenza let out a long sigh. "Been better. People are being shitty mcshits. They are in fact being so shitty, it is as if they are having a competition to see who can shit up the bowl the most," she looked down at her hands, taking a second to just rattle her fingernails on the table. "It's just the usual, you know? Stupid bullshit from stupid people who can't take two seconds to get it in their heads that not everything is this or that or..." Vinny forced herself to breathe, knowing that she was getting worked up and developing into a full on rant. "I'm just tired of it. Sorry that I don't fit in your fucking boxes, I guess."
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

Coleen giggled.

She had really tried not to, as doing so would reveal that she was listening in on the conversation, but the string of swearing was too much. She supposed after the fact that some people trying to eat or about to eat might have been grossed out, but having little siblings and having to care for them hardened up the stomach a fair bit to toilet humor. For that, she guessed she could consider herself grateful.

Turning to the right in order to peer behind her (she always turned to the right - it was her good side), Coleen could see Cameron Herrig out of the corner of her eye. She always envied Cameron... well, not Cameron specifically, but people like her. People who could be so 'out there' and bold when it took every fiber of her being to get on stage and not collapse in a puddle of her own tears from fright. Next to her was... Vincenzo, she thought, but Coleen was always nervous around... them? Try as she might to be sensitive, she struggled to wrap her head around how somebody could be neither a boy nor a girl. Her general policy was to just follow the lead of others. This did nothing to assuage the awkwardness when she had nothing to go off of, however.

Given that there were two kids from school right behind her, Coleen figured she should at least say hello (though if you asked her feelings on the subject, she would much rather sit there, wait for her food and read her screenplay). She set her knees over the side of the seat and turned further to the right, looking at the both of them. "Hey!" Coleen offered her best smile and prayed it wouldn't break. "Cameron and... shoot... help me out here?" She lied, pretending not to know Vincenzo's name. It would give her something to go off of.
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

Cameron nodded as she took a sip from her coffee. It was slightly bitter but she could deal with that. The more important thing was that someone had put Enza through a loop, purely because she was different, she hated that. Cameron had always been slightly protective on Enza in a weird way. Not that it was noticeable from watching them interact but deep down she cared a lot. She spun the pencil through her fingers with her free hand, thinking of what to say to make her friend feel better.

As she opened her mouth to tell Vinny that the people who spoke were just scared of her being different she heard someone giggle. Her vision shot around the cafe, eyes narrowed and sharp. If they were laughing at her friend there was going to be trouble, Cameron had never had a problem with that. She wasn't physically aggressive but verbally...well she'd picked up some tricks from hearing her parents.

Happily enough the culprit made themselves known Coleen turned round and greeted the two of them. That made Cameron relax, from what she'd seen of Coleen she didn't seem like the malicious type. Plus she was greeting them and not immediately saying she agreed with the people who had made fun of Enza and she didn't know Vinny's name. The melty face was also a reason to believe she wouldn't laugh at someone getting mocked.

"I am her." Cameron said in reply to Coleen's question. "And they are," She pointed at Enza. "Vincenzo 'Vinny' 'Enzo' 'Enza' Gatti the Third, Living Ruler of Gender and Sexuality. Represented here today in the temple known as Cheryl's." She made sure to finish with a flourish, making a little bow motion. "All praise them as human." She looked back at Coleen. "So! What's up?"
V8
Aracelis Fuentes
California “Cali” Fox
Darryl Smith Jr.
Jessica Romero
[+] V7
Namira

Post by Namira »

Someone laughed from behind her. Enza's eyebrows went up, and then furrowed. Swear to god, if someone was taking the piss out of her, she was gonna start punting people down staircases.

Vincenza tried - and mostly succeeded - to withhold a glare as she twisted around to see exactly who was there. A brief second of confusion later, and then the long hair swept across the face clicked. Right, Coleen, right. She was pretty quiet, not really someone that Vinny brushed shoulders with too often. There was, of course, the obvious distinguishing feature... but to be frank Enza was the last person that was going to take issue with appearances. Hell, in some ways, the gnarly scarring across Coleen's face was pretty damn cool... though it was probably cooler to look at than, well, y'know... have it.

...She probably hadn't thought that through very well, come to think of it.

Vincenza opened her mouth for an introduction, and then Cameron did it for her. In the best possible way. Enza couldn't keep a broad grin from spreading across her face. This, this was why she'd needed to meet up with Cameron today.

Tipping an imaginary hat to Coleen, Vinny bowed her head, flashing a smile. "'allo, Goomba."
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

Okay, so 'they' was what they were all going with. Okay, that answered one question. Coleen also felt an intense urge to sigh in relief that she hadn't fucked up the greeting. Everybody was all smiles. Terrific! Now this social situation was only half-awkward. She thought for a moment, with how they were looking back at her at first, that things had gone sour. Apparently not the case. Neat!

"Aaaaa-haha, hello!" Coleen smiled sweetly. She only had one eye to work with, which was the case most of the time, but she was fairly confident she had correctly applied the charm needed. "You mind if, um, I move my stuff to sit with you guys?" The words came out before she knew it. Sitting with the other girls wasn't actually ideal regarding her goals; reading a screenplay and engaging in conversation were two mutually exclusive things. The damage had been done and the line was cast, so she might as well commit.

Besides, she supposed she spent enough time by herself anyhow. Talking to somebody else would be nice. Fiddler could come later. Coleen gave in to her tic and brushed the hair out of the good side of her face, tilting her face ever so slightly so it would fall just a bit further over the bad part. She heard the head-tilt made her look cuter anyway.
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

Goomba. Cameron shrugged, she wasn't one to question Enza's nickname technique. They ahd their own way of doing things, just like she did. It worked well for both of them. Now the real question was could Coleen sit with them? Cameron had been thinking and had been prepared for a simple one on one with Enza. It wasn't that Cameron didn't welcome new company, she was just super bad at first meetings, since she always found a way to mess it up.

"Yeah you can sit with us! We're cool people, which looks like it's something you'd appreciate." She opened her arms dramatically to cover the whole table. "Currently we are discussing how some people are judgy fucks who dislike people being different. I think we all have experience with that." She slid her stuff along the table then moved down the seat, nestling herself in the corner, resting one foot under her other leg.

She looked over Coleen in more detail as she took a sip from her coffee. If Cameron was honest yes she did find Coleen attractive. Had that influenced her decision to let her sit at their table? Maybe. It wasn't exactly an important detail, just her objectifying someone, no biggie. That head tilt was cute enough as things were. Cameron shook her head to get her train of thought back on the tracks.

"But yeah we're just chillin'."
V8
Aracelis Fuentes
California “Cali” Fox
Darryl Smith Jr.
Jessica Romero
[+] V7
Namira

Post by Namira »

Cameron agreed to letting Coleen sit there, and Vinny nodded along, giving a slight gesture towards the open spot on the table. It... okay it wasn't entirely ideal, but she could deal with it. Coleen clearly wasn't an asshat, although Enza would have rather just, y'know, been able to fixate all of her ranting at Cameron and not have to worry about offending someone else's delicate sensibilities.

While Coleen moved over and Cameron got to conversation, Enza hailed a waitress and ordered a coke. Something sugary and caffeinated to perk her up sounded good right about now. Looking back to the others, Enza gave a little shrug.

"Sorry, Goomba, you've walked in on my special snowflake hour," she smiled wryly. "Usually I'm more cheerful and less cussy. But people have been shit today. Very shit."

A vague gesture to the dress. "Guess we have some fashion criminals around school."
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

Coleen got herself situated, setting her bag under the table and between her feet. The Fiddler screenplay was absentmindedly set down on the table between her hands where she could play with it idly, waiting for the ability to flawlessly interact with other human being to spontaneously generate. Such was her attempts to take in Cameron's comments that Coleen wasn't fast enough to catch the waitress. The server was already headed away from the table by the time she figured out what was happening, which meant she would have to wait just a little bit longer to get that strawberry malt.

"Sorry. About the people, I mean," Coleen said. Her fingers had come up to stroke down her hair, constantly playing with it and straightening it. "I... do, um, know what that's like I guess," she agreed with Cameron. It was Cameron's comment that had driven Coleen to be self-conscious at the moment. It only made sense that the girls would know about her face. It wasn't some big secret, especially since there were times that Coleen was forced to tie her hair back, and though she trained it to cover her face it didn't always do its job without fail. Still, knowing it was there was one thing, bringing it up was another. Just because it wasn't a secret didn't mean Coleen wanted to leave it uncovered all the time.

She let herself be pulled away by Enza's comment and gesture, since anything was more comfortable to talk about. "Oh, your dress? I like it!" Coleen protested with a smile, tugging a little at her blouse. "But I mean, I like dresses too, so... call me old-fashioned, I guess."
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

"People are always shit." Cameron muttered from where she was sitting. She absentmindedly doodled on a clean page of her sketchbook; it wasn't that she was drawing anything in particular it was just so that her hands were doing something. Her eyes remained focused on the other two girls, taking in their conversation. It seemed pleasant and genuine. The second item being of utmost importance to Cameron, she could spot someone being fake a mile away.

When was the last time she had worn a proper dress anyway? Cameron honestly couldn't remember. She was sure she had worn one a few times but whether or not she still had it was another question. If she did she wanted to turn it into a costume for a show. That was if she did though. It would have allow her to go full crazy if she had a cut up dress as well as her wolf headpiece thing she had found in the charity shop. She loved that wolf head.

"Between the two of you we could go back to the sixties." Cameron said as she took a sip of her coffee. She pulled a face as she looked in the cup. It was almost empty. Cameron turned and looked around the diner from where she was sitting. Trying to catch the eye of one of the waitresses. "But anyway Human, I think their tiny monkey brains are just scared of you and your freedom. Probably can't deal with-hey." She managed to grab one of the waitresses' attention as they walked past. "More coffee please and..." She turned and pointed at the other two. "You don't actually...have anything. And these guys will tell you what they want."
V8
Aracelis Fuentes
California “Cali” Fox
Darryl Smith Jr.
Jessica Romero
[+] V7
Namira

Post by Namira »

"I'd like to think maybe one day, folks could just wear what they want without needing to worry about what other people think. 'Course, I could say the same thing for all that fun pronoun stuff and-" Enza cut herself off, blinking, and then let out an abrupt laugh.

"Sorry, I'm ranting, aren't I?" she leaned back, tucking both hands behind her head. "Kingman probably isn't ready for these post-gender ideas. I'll stick to the internet."

Vinny's smile turned melancholy for an instant. While it was true she had a lot of friends amongst her own age group, sometimes it struck her as, well, sad that her on-camera persona could expect more favourable reactions than being herself where she actually lived. Sure, interacting with people online was great, especially if they were fans of her stuff, but that was never quite the same as face to face.

"Tiny monkey brains," Enza repeated, and laughed again. "I like that. You guys should turn that into a song," a slight glint in the eyes. "Pff. Like I'd go back to the sixties. They didn't even have cameraphones. I'd say you'd fit in, what with music going back in years... but Peyote would probably give folks back then a freaking heart attack and..." her eyes fixed at a point at the wall, both distracted and focused all at once. "...That totally gives me an idea for a vine."
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

"You guys? Peyote?" Coleen sat back in her seat, painfully aware of how dumbfounded she must have looked. With nothing to occupy her hands, they found comfort in each other and folded in front of her, wriggling nervously. A lot of this so-called 'post-gender' stuff was, indeed, lost on her but Enza was a very energetic person, at least in her own way. Both girls were energetic, both Enza and Cameron. However, they were both also very confusing.

It seemed she had found something of an opening in the conversation however, something she could ask about. Music was a topic that could universally pull people together as long as one's horizons were broadened enough. It was a safe, non-political avenue, and Coleen desperately sought for something to refresh her.

Speaking of which-

"H-Hey, wait!" She stammered, whipping around in her seat to catch the nearly-leaving waitress. "I mean, sorry," she apologized for calling so abruptly. "But I was hoping to get a strawberry malt?"

After getting a confirmation from the waitress, Coleen sighed in relief and re-adjusted her hair, facing the other two again.

Return to “Cheryl's”