Pick Apart the Pieces of Your Heart

Open

The storage yard is a maze of old shipping containers of various colors stacked onto each other. The containers are mostly empty now, providing many possible hiding places. They are positioned in a stable fashion, and unlikely to be easily moved, weighing nearly five thousand pounds each.
Laurels

Pick Apart the Pieces of Your Heart

Post by Laurels »

((Sophie McDowell continued from Sleep, My Dear))

Sophie continued to run along the coast of the island, trying as hard as she could to continue moving. Her chest was starting to hurt and she could hardly feel her legs anymore, but she tried to ignore it. She had to get as far away from those cliffs as she could, even if she had no real idea where she was going. She had cried most of the way, causing her voice to get hoarse and her face to become wet with tears and sweat.

Somehow, she had run into a harbor of some kind. She was surrounded by large shipping containers all around her. It reminded her of the labyrinth back at The Castle in Seattle. Only now, there was likely to be a real minotaur at the center instead of a statue.

No, don't think like that! Thinking like that is what can make you lose all hope. There just has to be some way for us to get out of this!

Before she knew it, Sophie was stumbling down the path. She had taken one bad step as she ran through the shipping yard, and now she found herself crashing towards the ground. She instinctively held her arms out as she fell against the pavement.

Sophie remained on the ground for a few moments after falling. She was already certain she had scraped her knees and the palms of her hands. Her bag had fallen to her side as she stumbled. Sophie rested her head on her left arm and faced the ground.

She began to softly moan to herself. She wasn't ready to get back up.
Firedog†

Post by Firedog† »

((B008 Alexander de Gaulle START))

Alex wandered around in the shipping yard lost in his thought. His eyes were blank as he was stuck in a state of disbelief; his bag around his shoulder was the only thing tying him to the horrible reality around him. This thing he had gotten stuck into, SOTF, was not unfamiliar to him; he had heard about it before and how the terrorists running the thing had been stopped, but that seemed not to be the case as he was stuck here.

The collar around his neck had become surprisingly unnoticeable after only a little bit of time, there was still the thought where he knew it was there and that it could blow his fucking head off if he made a mistake, but at least it seemed comfortable. He had hoped that nothing would become familiar so quickly while he was stuck here, but that was a wish he had to abandon; perhaps it would help him survive if he became used to things quickly.

Not watching where he was going, Alex nearly tripped over a person that had been blocking his path. With his mind blank and his emotions shattered he nearly kept on walking but a voice in his head stopped him for a moment as he snapped back into reality. It was the first person he had seen on the island and they were on the ground, possibly needing a helping hand up. It wasn't Maddie, but at least it was someone.

Alex reached out his hand and asked, "Do you need any help?" in a monotonous voice. He still hadn't regained his composure, but he was able to speak. Hopefully the girl in front of him wouldn't be an enemy to him.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Firedog. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Sophie didn't budge an inch from where she landed. Her hands and knees stung from scraping on the ground. Because she had her head resting on her arm, she could feel it becoming numb as the flow of blood was being cut off. Despite all of this, she couldn't find herself caring about it. Her friend was dead, and odds were that she would die soon as well.

Maybe if I lay here, people will think I'm dead and leave me alone. Maybe that would be better.

Unfortunately for her, someone did find her and noticed that she wasn't dead. Sophie wasn't sure who was talking to her at her level, but he sounded concerned.

Sophie didn't respond to the boy's question. She could get cynical and say she wasn't okay, or get philosophical and ask what "okay" meant in this situation, but she couldn't say either. She couldn't talk to him at all.
Firedog†

Post by Firedog† »

When no response was received Alex withdrew his hand and put it down to his side. The girl in front of him had clearly gone through a lot as everyone on the island must be. Quietly Alex lowered himself to a crouch so that he could be at eye level with the girl on the ground. He didn't know how to cheer the girl up as he was currently broken himself, but he could just sit there for a bit.

"Hey, I'm sorry I don't know how to make you feel better right now, but I'll sit here with you until you want to talk about anything. I don't have anywhere to go after all." As Alex said this he changed from a crouch to a sit and readjusted his bag so that it was in his lap.

He wasn't the most helpful person right now, but Alex had no idea what else he could do.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Firedog. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

The boy got to Sophie's level. Even on her side, she recognized Alex de Gaulle from the school choir. He was a pretty nice guy back at school, certainly someone who was easy to sing along with. At least it was someone she was familiar with.

"Alex..." she began.

She then found it hard to keep speaking. A lump was growing in her throat, and Sophie found it was making it hard for her to communicate effectively with Alex. She could feel tear welling up again as well.

"Alex..." she said as a few tears began to fall, "...Dave's dead."

Sophie closed her eyes and covered her face with her hands. It still hurt to admit that fact.
Firedog†

Post by Firedog† »

Alex's eyes widened in surprise; the first victim had already been taken.

Of course the first one to die had to be someone nice like Dave.

Alex didn't know Dave too well, but he had considered himself more or less familiar with the bulk of students in his year and someone as nice as Dave was hard to forget. The fact that Alex wasn't going to get off the island settled in. He didn't want to get off the island if it meant that he had to kill others, and if someone else was playing already then it was over for him.

The shock had momentarily delayed the realization that whoever was sitting in front of him had known his name. She had called him Alex when he sat down. Alex looked closer at who he was sitting with and realized it was Sophie McDowell, they were in choir together and Alex considered them friends. Alex had found another blessing there once he realized he was sitting with someone he knew better than he initially thought.

Scooting in closer Alex put his arm around Sophie for comfort and began to speak, "I know that it's tough, but think about it. He doesn't have to deal with any of this anymore, it's done for him and hopefully he is happier now. Now, I do have a question that may be though to answer but," his mouth dried quickly as he approached the subject, "wh-, who was it that... that, you know, killed him?" It was a horrible question to ask, but he needed to know who to look out for before the announcement came.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Sophie continued to sob into her hands. Alex was trying to comfort her, informing her that Dave didn't have to suffer anymore. It was likely the next few days weren't going to be easy for any of them, but Dave now didn't have to face the trials the other students would face.

Alex did ask who killed Dave. Sophie rubbed her eyes and quickly sniffled.

"No one.....he walked off a cliff," she said to Alex, her voice shaking. "He just walked off as if noting else in the world mattered."
Firedog†

Post by Firedog† »

He walked off a cliff.... He just killed himself?

The thought wasn't baffling to Alex; after all he couldn't say he hadn't already considered it himself. It had been so much to take in and it must have just been too much for Dave. In a way, what he had done was noble, Dave had made it more likely for someone else to make it off the island and at the same time he locked in the fact that he wouldn't play the game.

"Well, that means that it was his choice. He wasn't forced into anything. He defied the terrorists in that way and made their little "game" just that much less successful." Alex stared off thinking about the island he was on and how he was just out in the open. Anyone could see him and Sophie just sitting out there and there was the potential that they might be playing.

"Do you want to move somewhere... less out in the open? I don't like being suspicious, but I don't know how everyone is taking this, and someone might just have gone off the deep end."
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Sophie was at least glad Alex was trying to make her feel better. She wasn't sure how close he was to Dave, but he seemed to think well of him. She knew that some people didn't take suicide very well, as they see it as the dead person being very selfish, or it causes the victim's family to feel guilt and try and think about what they could have done to save the person's life. She couldn't imagine what would happen if anyone in her family killed themselves, and she never thought Dave would do it.

But Alex was right. He only did it as a response to the terrorists. Back home, he probably wouldn't have ever resorted to such an action. He might have reached complete clarity when he took that last step. Sophie envied that if that was the case, but it still was hard to accept that he had to find it in death.

Alex suggested that they get out of the open.

"Oh...uh, yeah," she said, clearing her throat.

Sophie rolled on her back and raised both her arms in the air.

"Can you help me up?" she asked Alex. "I probably ran half the island to get away from where Dave died, and I'm a bit exhausted."
Firedog†

Post by Firedog† »

Alex stood up and once again readjusted his bag so that it was over his shoulder. He heard Sophie ask for help standing up and responded, "Yeah, no problem." He reached his hands down and grabbed a hold of Sophie's before giving a tug to get her up.

"On the way over here did you see any places that would be suitable for hiding? If not we could just hide out in one of these shipping containers for a little bit." Alex hadn't been anywhere except for the shipping yard as it had been where he woke up.

He walked over to an empty container and said, "This one seems suitable to get out of the heat, so it'll probably be fine for just talking. If we decide to make long term plans or anything it would probably be best to go somewhere else."
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Sophie was pulled back on her feet by Alex. She immediately began to brush her knees and wipe her hands. The scraping wasn't too bad, but she did have some blood on her legs. She was sure she could find a band-aid in the first aid kit, so she didn't feel too worried about it. She needed to think about where they went next, whether it was in a storage container or somewhere else.

"I have no preference," she told him, wiping her eyes again, "so whatever you think will be the best option, I'll go with it."

Sophie bent down and picked up the bag she dropped. Wherever they went, she wanted to have all the supplies she would need.
Firedog†

Post by Firedog† »

"Alright then, since you have no preference how about we sit in the container for a while to get out of the sun and then decide what to do from there?" After asking the question Alex walked into the container and waited for Sophie to follow suit. Walking down to the end he sat in the corner so that he would have a good view of the whole container, small as it may be.

Alex decided that it was a good time to examine his bag and slowly unzipped it. As he pilfered through he found what was supposed to be his weapon and let out a chuckle. It was a bunch of god damned sanitizing wipes. He quickly opened it up and pulled one out before sealing it again.

Holding out the singular wipe to Sophie he said, "Here, use this on your hands and legs, it'll sting a little, but it should help some." Alex didn't really have any idea what they should do next; he was never much of a survivalist like Maddie had been. He at least knew the basics of what he needed to survive, but he had no practice in the application of the ideas. "So, I think that what we should do next is find Maddie. She's a good friend and I'm positive she isn't playing. Also, she should be able to help out some. If you want to veto the idea, I would appreciate what you think we should do."
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Sophie followed Alex to the container and took the wet wipe he offered her. She felt a stinging sensation as she held it in her hands. The alcohol was already affecting the scrapes on her hand. She tried to withstand the stinging sensation as she began to rub the wipe on her knees.

Alex wanted to find his friend, Maddie. Sophie knew the girl was supposed to be really into the sciences. She probably would be a smart ally to find.

"I'm fine looking for her," Sophie told Alex as she sat on the floor of the storage container, opening her bag. "I'm all for looking for anyone who can help us. Nina Clarke would be good to find, as would Gray Emerson and Joe Carrasco."

Sophie pulled the first aid kit out of her bag and began to search for a band aid.

"I also want to find Lana Torres. Dave used to date her, and I know he really cared about her. He'd probably like her to safe."

Sophie found some adhesive bandages in the pack. It would be hard to find everyone she and Alex could think of, but they had to try. What would be the point of doing anything otherwise?
Firedog†

Post by Firedog† »

Alex nodded his head as Sophie listen off names of people she wanted to find. Alex felt the list was becoming less and less probable to become a reality as it increased in length, but they had to try to find as many people as possible to join them. Sophie was fine with them looking for Maddie so Alex should be fine with looking for whoever Sophie wanted to look for.

"Alright, we can look for all of them. I don't really have anyone other than Maddie I would like to look for, I have many friends but most of them are just acquaintances and I don't know if they would play this game or not." Alex was afraid to say that they should keep the group as small as possible as to avoid detection, but it didn't seem that he needed to yet; possibly if more would be added on to the list, but it was fine the way it was.

Alex leaned his head back and rested it against the cool metal of the container and then said, "I'm pretty sure Maddie would likely find some place good for settling, so if there are any houses or something on this island it would be wise to look there." He did his best to lay out a plan of action to find at least his friend and hopefully Sophie would know likely places to find the people she was searching for.

"Well, if we are going to look for all these people it would be best to start searching today. Since you ran half the island to get here we can rest a bit longer, but I would like to get out of here and start searching as soon as possible." After finishing the statement Alex realized he had never formally asked if Sophie wanted to join up with him, it was just something he had assumed.

"Oh, crap. I never asked you, but, do you want to form some kind of group or alliance with me? I guess the way we're talking it is already settled, but I never did ask."
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Sophie went ahead and starting placing the bandages on her knees while Alex talked. She found herself agreeing with what Alex said, mostly about finding their friends and holing up in one of the houses somewhere. The map did say there was a town, so there was probably a lot of housing to choose from.

Once she finished putting the last band aid on, Alex asked if she wanted to form an alliance.

"Huh?" she responded. "I thought we were already allied."

Sophie didn't know why Alex thought they needed to formally state they were allies. They were friends, so shouldn't that be natural?

"But I'm fine to go. Let's take it easy though. I'm not in a running mood."

Return to “Storage Yard”