Recruitment Drive

Also on the first floor is the lunch room. Too small for the large student body, this is not a very popular spot to actually eat, even with the temperamental weather. Most students come here to get school lunches, then find somewhere else to actually eat them. Still, there are tables and chairs here, and it is necessary to come here to get school food, though the food itself has a poor reputation. The speakers in the lunch room tend to play local radio stations, making it a somewhat suboptimal place to study.
Slam

Recruitment Drive

Post by Slam »

((David "Dave" Russell start))

"Mmm...."
A little to the left...
Back up on that chair, there it is, down again.
No no, that's too much.
Up we go again, third time's the charm! Okay, let's check this...
Yep, yep. Yep!
"Perfect!"

Dave Russell grinned up at the home made banner stuck above the table before him, borrowed with permission from a nearby classroom with the slightest bit of diplomacy required.  At least he was pretty sure he had permission. He'd have it back before the next class started anyway, that he was pretty sure about.

The student volunteers society had spent the last half year in retirement, thanks to last year's members being mostly seniors more concerned with getting into college than helping out the needy. It wasn't something Dave held to them though; education was important and they had their priorities. Technically he was now in the same position, but that was a minor detail because right now his heart was set on getting the club back up and running, and the banner he'd painted the night before would hopefully draw people with similar interests.  It looked pretty good too, as far as his opinion went.

Student Volunteers Club Recruiting!

He spun back around with a clap, looking around the cafeteria as the lunch break started. A few people had shown up already, but for the most part he'd managed to get everything in place before the big crowds arrived; it helped that he'd gotten out of class just a little early to get everything in place too. It'd been a fair amount of lugging around to get everything together by himself, but he hadn't managed to find the time to get in touch with any of the old club members. He was looking forward to seeing them when they undoubtedly showed up at his table though and then they could get involved too anyway.

As he took a deep breath and smiled with excitement, the banner on the wall behind him lost its stick on the wall and crashed back down to the floor, his face falling with it as the sound reached his ears. "Oops."

Scooting over the table, sliding next to the blank signup sheet he'd prepared along with the banner, he had his advert reaffixed to the wall for all to see in a matter of moments, ready and waiting for anyone with an altruistic soul in Aurora High. Once again, he looked about the cafeteria.

Nothing to do now but wait for volunteers to sign up!
My V8 Relationship Thread!
[+] Dead V7 Kids
B035: LUCAS BRADY - Had Enough - 1 - 2 - 3- 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9
G002: ELISABETH "LIZZIE" LEBOWSKI - "You've been a great audience." - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7
[+] Pregame Shenanigans
Lucas Brady - Facebook!Lucas - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6
Elisabeth "Lizzie" Lebowski - "My parents told me to make a good signature, so I signed a note promising I would do it later." - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

[[Alice Gilman, continued from Tick...]]

Alice had been on the way to her usual lunch spot, a rather nice secluded spot she'd discovered on campus, when her attention was grabbed by a loud thud behind her. Turning around to investigate, she saw a somewhat shaggy ginger-haired boy hurriedly attaching a banner to the wall, which had presumably just fallen, producing the noise.

The banner, not the wall. The wall'd make a much louder noise, along with possibly bringing the roof down on them. Alice didn't know how heavy the roof was, and she was content to remain ignorant in this subject.  

Student Volunteers Club Recruiting! The banner, now fixed proudly proclaimed.

Hm. Alice wasn't aware that the school even had a Volunteer Club, though considering her lack of interest in school spirit of any kind, this was hardly a surprise.
Still, though, she was curious. What was it that this club actually did? Did they make posters and such to promote school activities, running fundraisers, stuff like that? This'd bother her all day if she didn't find out, so Alice figured that she may as well ask. Who knows? It might actually be interesting.

She approached the boy who seemed to be in charge(though it wasn't as if there could be any confusion, he being the only living being at the table). What was his name again? Devon? David? She knew it started with a D. It didn't really matter, though. "This club. What, exactly, does it do?" She asked, adjusting her glasses as she did so.
Slam

Post by Slam »

Dave's first visitor that lunch break was a bright haired bespectacled girl who he couldn't put a name on, though that was a non-issue for him. He recognised her distinctive ginger head from around the school, but if they had any classes together it was lost on him. He gave her a welcoming smile all the same as she approached the booth and asked her question.

"Well," he began, piecing together a scripted advertisement on the spot to be delivered with a sincerely enthusiastic voice. "We were much more active the last last year, but we're a club that likes to organise charitable events for anyone who could use our help. We did a lot of fundraisers before, but outings to places where we could help happened when they happened. We just like to have fun whilst working for good causes, y'know?"

Even though last year's committee were only so dedicated, leading to pretty much anything happening being a rarity rather than the norm, Dave didn't see the need to mention that: the club he was trying to piece back together would be active and fun so that people always enjoyed coming. Whilst helping people was its own reward, there was no reason you couldn't share the reward around with others after all.

"We're not big on numbers right now," he exaggerated "so for a while we'd probably go with the stuff that's easier to put together, unless everyone's really into getting things going." That was what he was hoping for. "Could be anything really, depends what ideas people come up with. But I still have some to get us started if that's what everyone wants."
[+] Dead V7 Kids
G002: ELISABETH "LIZZIE" LEBOWSKI - "You've been a great audience." - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7
[+] Pregame Shenanigans
Elisabeth "Lizzie" Lebowski - "My parents told me to make a good signature, so I signed a note promising I would do it later." - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

Alice listened to what sounded suspiciously like a scripted explanation. At least the leader seemed to be genuinely enthusiastic. It seemed that she had been mistaken. This was an all-purpose volunteer group that happened to be composed of students, not anything particularly school-related. Interesting.

She had never really seen the point of having pride in one's school. It was just the place you went to learn, after all, and why should you arbitrarily declare one institution to be better than another? Sure, individual teachers and such may be superior, but grouping the whole thing system together into one entity seemed to be over-generalizing. Why have a rivalry with other schools? The students are probably perfectly nice people that just happen to live in a different area.

But, charity, helping people out in general? She could see value in that. Alice'd never really been much of a volunteer, but she was a bit curious about what it was like. New experiences should always be sought and savored, with the exception of those involving organized sports. They tended to involve large amounts of physical exertion, after all, something Alice was very much not a fan of.

Alice considered it for a bit, staring idly at the banner. It wasn't like she had anything better to do. Who knows? It could genuinely be enjoyable, and she could bow out if she found it uninteresting. Alice shrugged, and signed her name on the sheet. She was the first one to join, apparently. As far as she knew, the table'd been set up for quite a while. It seems that there wasn't must interest in this club. The leader did say that they were small on members at the moment. This suited Alice just fine. She was somewhat uncomfortable with large groups of unfamiliar people.

"Any informative pamphlets that I should have?" She asked. The table was bare, but there could be some hidden under the table or something. Concrete information would be nice.
Slam

Post by Slam »

Dave beamed a smile as Alice leant over and signed up her name, making her the first of what he was sure to be many volunteers all eager and excited to help the less fortunate of Seattle, and share in the good times that would undoubtedly lie ahead. It had taken slightly longer than he expected, but then sometimes reality doesn't line up with the room long queue of people that you imagined would be the case.

"Thanks....Alice!" he grinned, nodding an affirmative nod as he successfully read her name off the sheet, then looking back to her and tacking the name on to her face, hopefully not to be forgotten by the time they met again less the situation turn awkward, though Dave rarely made a habit of forgetting names.

Despite the name still being all that he knew of her, Dave was already looking forward to getting to know this girl better through the meetings and the activities they'd work as on a team (along with the dozens of other students who were no doubt on their way because why wouldn't you show up to such a fun opportunity?). Hopefully she'd have plenty of fun ideas of her own too, as nothing adds to diversity like creativity.

Too bad he wasn't creative enough to think of making pamphlets.

"Ah, well," he stuttered, glancing aside through a half faltered grin. "I don't have any of those, no." he answered, an apologetic tilt of the head going with it. "But if you have any questions you'd like to ask, I'd be happy to answer them now."

Pamphlets was probably something he should have thought of. Hey, this girl had more foresight than him, so that was the plus to her joining up at least.

That and you know, more members was awesome.
[+] Dead V7 Kids
[+] Pregame Shenanigans
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

(Terribly sorry 'bout how long this took!)

Hm. No pamphlets? That showed a rather remarkable lack of planning. Alice hadn't seen any posters the school, either. Of course, just because she hadn't found any didn't mean that they were non-existent. If the world thought like that, scientific progress would've ground to a halt long ago. But still, considering how few students ever ate in the cafeteria, you'd think advertisements would be an absolute necessity.

She sighed. It seemed like this guy, while certainly more than capable in the enthusiasm department, lacked foresight, a trait most unfortunate for someone who seemed to be in a leadership position. Well, time to extract as much information as possible. Maybe he was smarter than he seemed.

Alice adjusted her glasses, then let loose a flurry of questions. "Alright. Do we have any means of scheduling meetings, having discussions, and so on? Possibly a website? How many people, exactly, do we have in this group? Are you the president or whatever? Anything planned for the near future? Oh, and finally..." she paused for a second to catch her breath. "Er, what's your name?"

It was almost always like this. Keeping quiet and saying little until her interest was piqued, then exploding with enthusiasm. She really didn't have an in-between state. While Alice had felt mostly apathetic just a few minutes ago, she was now committed,  and what she did, she did right.

Of course, if this boy really didn't know what he was doing, this might prove a bit difficult, especially if membership was as low as she suspected. Worst comes to worst, she'd have to work to make this group as organized as possible. Nothing wrong with a challenge, now and then.
Slam

Post by Slam »

Dave flinched at the barrage of questions delivered at him by Alice, nodding in time as he waited for the moment to answer. When it finally came, he was interrupted before he could start by one more.

"Dave, Dave Russell. Great to meet you, Alice." He said with another stretch of his smile whilst trying to piece together an answer to her list of enquiries. "Well, the main plan is that I'll get everyone's email addresses, and then I'll send everyone out newsletter or meeting arrangements and then we'll decide what we're going to do from there, you know?" whenever he could get to the school computers, anyway.

"There's just you and me for members at the moment, unless one of the old group comes back, or if they show up today I guess. We'll have to see." He said, chuckling at his own lack of a joke.  He still hadn't seen any of them passing by the table today, not that they would have walked by without joining back up again of course, unless their own college things were as important as last year's committee in which case it couldn't be helped, but there was plenty of time left in the day still. "But I'm sure we'll have loads of new members soon enough."

This Alice chick certainly was certainly getting into this, Dave decided and approved. He couldn't remember seeing her around the school putting much gusto into anything, but then for all he knew he had simply missed it every time. The important thing now was that his first new member was full of spunk and spirit and that would be great in getting the volunteering in action.

She had asked about the president, he remembered at last after his eyes had darted around the room in silence for the memory. "Right now? Well, I dunno. I'm not sure." Was he the new president? He'd never even ran for the position, but without any older members present he supposed he at least had seniority. Vice-President until someone else showed up? "I guess so." He answered. "The president, I mean."

"We'll get things going as soon as this lunch is over." He finally finished, even sporting a thumbs up for flash. "Email everyone in the library afterwards: that's the plan. That reminds me," he said, grabbing the sign-up sheet from the table before him. "Can I get your email, Alice?" in the non-existent email column on the sheet, he motioned with a point to the empty space next to her name.
[+] Dead V7 Kids
[+] Pregame Shenanigans
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

Answers! So, she was right about the membership, though Alice didn't expect Dave to be the only other person in the club. You'd think that there would be at least one person returning from previous years. Maybe the club was really active before, but all the members were seniors or something? There was a chance that the club had never really been popular in the first place. So many possibilities! She'd have to interrogate Dave later.

Alice's thought process was interrupted by her stomach rumbling. Ah, that's right. She hadn't actually eaten anything yet. She turned her attention back to the sign-up sheet. However inexperienced Dave seemed, at least he'd thought of collecting contact information. Given the lack of a special column, though, she had a feeling he hadn't actually thought of using the paper for that purpose. Oh well, wasn't too late to remedy that.

She bent over the table and drew a little line in-between her name and the open space before writing her email address down. "agilman@hotmail.com". Nice and simple. Professional. Sure, it was a bit boring, but it beat being stuck with something you'd thought up when you were young and dumb.

"clockworkmaiden12@hotmail.com"? What had she been thinking? Sure, clockwork was awesome, but maiden? That made her sound like some cliche fantasy princess. Alice disliked that word. Gratuitous numbers are terrible, as well. She still had the account, though. Nostalgia is a powerful thing, no matter how dumb the target is.

She straightened herself and looked at Dave. "Is there anything else you need from me? We're running a bit short on lunch, after all." Alice often skipped meals by accident when she was focused on something, but she did try her best to eat when she remembered to.
laZardo†

Post by laZardo† »

((Carlos Lazaro continued from No Waiting On Checkstand Three))

Lunch was boring. Not because he was sitting alone, fuck, he stopped caring whether it was because whoever wanted to pick on him today wasn't feeling like it - or because anyone that may or may not have wanted to at least put up a semblance of "being on good terms with him" had already given up. Not because he'd gotten used to the taste of what he called the "yellow," "green," and "brown" substances and the "flavored water" he could get with it.

No, lunch was boring because there wasn't anything particularly interesting going on elsewhere to make the minutes go faster.

At least until the sound of a crash from nearby.

"Oh boy, what are you up to now?" he muttered to himself as he slurped up the last of the "brown" and got out of his seat...only to make his way to the nearest food waste deposit bin to the table so he could eavesdrop on exactly what was going on over there.

The banner made their intentions obvious, at least. The Volunteer Club was the school's "club for people to act like they gave a shit." But even he couldn't find room to not give a shit, as the club's inactivity kept them under the school social radar over the last couple of years. Now Dave Russell was trying to bring it back like a boss (if the man who embodied giving the proverbial shit) and he'd already gotten himself a fan. Alice Gilman would have had to be that dork that stuck through the club through thick and thin, just like in the goddamn teen TV series.

The club was just begging for a verbal smackdown by The Laz the moment it reared its pretty head in the social scene.

Left-wing, right-wing, libertarian or authoritarian, Carlos really could not have given a shit. Politics was politics was politics for showoffs, and charity groups were but one act in the whole goddamn circus. Hell, the volunteer club was that kind of organization whose very existence would have pissed him off no matter what side he was on. On one, it was the foundation of some kind of evil, socialist welfare state. On the other, it was for a bunch of well-off phonies to look like they actually cared.

And Dave, who was all about caring and sharing, and Alice, with her flushed interest, was totally deserving of every last little word of it.

As he walked almost confidently toward the table, he knew he had already mustered up least ten different one-liners (alone) that he could have said to pave the road straight to hell and back with their good intentions.

With the two in earshot, he stretched his arms out, and leaned them on the edge of the table so that Dave and Alice were to either side.

"Volunteer Club, eh?" he began, a smirk crossing his face. "Where do I sign up?"

It had to count for something that one of probably four or five people in the entire school that didn't believe in the existence of something so supernatural as a soul, let alone one that was altruistic, appeared to be genuinely interested in joining.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler laZardo. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Slam

Post by Slam »

"Agilman at hotmail dot com." Dave muttered aloud, beaming up at Alice, his very first recruit of the day, as he took the improvised sign-up sheet back from her.  One new member for the club already and there was plenty of time left in the lunch for more. Great start! "I don't think I need anything else just yet Al, but I'll email you as soon as I can. And everyone else too." He said, nodding towards her. She was definitely the sort of chick the club needed: enthusiastic, full of questions, and ready to get to work, the ideal volunteer. Plus she was a chick, which was always a plus.

Carlos appeared on that note, filled to the brim with gusto and enthusiasm. Not the sort that was in Dave's favour, mind, but it was still in there and ready to be unleashed. Dave was more than happy to provide a means of doing so, whether he realised it or not.

He looked towards the new arrival to his little ol' recruitment table, placing a name to the face. Dave had heard his share of the news around school, the way gossip spreads like wildfire, and the news on this fellow, Carlos, was that he had a certain way with words, supposedly one that was very unpleasant to the listener. Those were just rumours though; Dave would have much rather get to know someone than let a bunch of others make his opinion for him.

"Right here, actually." Dave said, giving Carlos yet another one of his inexhaustible smiles as he pushed the sign-up sheet towards him from Alice. "Carlos, right?" It was him, right? "Carlos, Carl? Craig?" He was 90% certain that it was Carlos, the guy had a distinct look to him, but it still didn't hurt to ask, especially with the word of mouth associated with the guy; Dave may not have been a victim of gossip, but he didn't need to go thinking that some random kid might have been this school-wide asshole before he even got to know him. He may have been one to spare the benefit of the doubt, but he wasn't immune to the concern that he might be walking into trouble. If it meant more volunteers though, it was a risk he was willing to take.
[+] Dead V7 Kids
[+] Pregame Shenanigans
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

Alice had been glancing around the cafeteria while awaiting a reply from Dave, and thus spotted Carlos as he approached the table, causing her to focus her attention on him. She recognized him faintly as one of the many she passed in the hall each day, but she'd never really looked at him closely, and as she'd never actually had any interaction with him she couldn't attach a name to the face.

She was somewhat surprised when Carlos started to head over to their table. It appears that there was more interest in the club than she had initially thought. This impression, however, faded as he leaned on the table and asked where he could sign up. The sheet was right in front of him! How could he miss it? Suspicious.

Alice took the opportunity to study the newcomer's face. Short black hair, brown eyes. A smirk that made his interest seem less than sincere. She started to suspect that this guy was mocking them, somehow. Dave would certainly be an easy target. At least, he didn't seem to think anything was wrong. Dave seemed like the type of person who would try to believe the best of anyone, at least from what Alice had seen of him in the past few minutes.

Maybe she was wrong. This guy (Carlos, from what Dave had said? She figured that Dave was probably right, he certainly seemed to know more people than her) might have the best of intentions. Still, she should stay on guard. Dave appeared to be a pretty nice person, the sort who'd be easily hurt by deception. She'd rather the poor guy not have his feelings hurt. Of course, there wasn't really anything she could do if Carlos meant to be a jerk, except maybe stare at him and make him uncomfortable.

Alice failed to realize that she was, in fact, starting at Carlos as she thought. That happened annoyingly often.
laZardo†

Post by laZardo† »

"Right here, actually....Carlos, right? Carlos, Carl? Craig?"

"Please! Call me whatever you like. Most people do anyway," Carlos then replied, sarcasm starting to seep from the over-exuberance of his words.

That Carlos knew he would shape people's opinion of him the moment he opened his mouth was a given. Whether it was because he wanted to, or felt obligated to because of a fear that people would know who/what he was anyway was something he left others to decide. Personally, he leaned toward the latter.

He then looked down, finding he was leaning right over the signup sheet.

"Oh! Silly, silly me!" he continued, slapping his forehead with his palm and hamming up as much a dumb. "That's where I write my mark."

He then reached over, picked up a pen and began to scribble his name right under Alice's. He knew she was probably staring at him, hell, his over-exuberance meant half the damn cafeteria as staring at him, wondering what kind of verbal sabotage he might be up to.

But hell, the opportunity to share club space with them made him feel like he was signing a non-existent soul away to trick the devil. Of course, the real trick was in not giving it all away so quickly. There was still the rest of that prosperous life to lead before the eternity in damnation.

"s...f...carlos...69...at...dot....com. There we go!" he exclaimed as he put the pen down, his hands on his hips as he observed the signature with all the sepulchritude of a problem sleuther. "Okay, what's first on our agenda?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler laZardo. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Slam

Post by Slam »

It turned out that Dave wasn't wrong to be uneasy about Carlos.

Dave hadn't gone his entire life without anyone trying to make fun of him: it happened way more when he was younger, being called a suck up to the teachers or a goody two shoes by the other boys his age. It didn't happen enough to be called bullying, but it still happened and Dave could still understand when someone was laughing at him on the inside. Carlos' tone didn't dispel that idea.

He smiled at him all the same, however, as Carlos put his signature down. He still had his doubts, but at the same time Carlos hadn't done anything wrong yet and he was signing up all the same. It was entirely possible that Dave was just misinterpreting Carlos, and who was he to turn away people who wanted to help?

"Well Carl, first up we're going to keep recruiting people, then I'm going to email everyone and get us all together to decide what we're gonna do." He said, repeating what he'd just told Alice, though this time his tone had was slightly more mechanical quality, thrown off by Carlos' attitude. His smile masked the quiet hope that he wasn't trying to make fun of him, which in turn was overshadowed by the demand to believe that Carlos really did want to help and he was worrying for nothing.

"So far it's just you two signed up, but there's still the rest of lunch and I'm going to try and get some of the older members too." Dave continued, finishing it off with another smile towards Carlos. Truth be told he was still a little surprised at the slowness of recruiting, he expected more people to have lined up by now, but then you could still run a club with just three people couldn't you?

The banner behind him fell off the wall again.
[+] Dead V7 Kids
[+] Pregame Shenanigans
laZardo†

Post by laZardo† »

"Well Carl, first up we're going to keep recruiting people, then I'm going to email everyone and get us all together to decide what we're gonna do."

Carlos nodded and crossed his arms intently. But it probably wasn't hard for even someone so trusting as Dave to read through that seemingly innocent gesture.

Oh boy, more spam mail. Still, reading the CC field of the message would give him some idea of who he'd take down with him, unless they signed up some jock looking for a little extra padding (for his college application, that is. Carlos provided - or at least liked to think he provided much of the physical padding.)

Nevertheless Dave had to be onto him by now. And the last thing he needed to do was get himself on Dave's rarely-seen bad side - or rather, avoid it long enough that he received that e-mail for the meeting where they would discuss when meetings would be held and when these sort of discussions would be held in the first place. Good old fashioned club bureaucracy that he could nod his head to or otherwise sleep through.

"So far it's just you two signed up, but there's still the rest of lunch and I'm going to try and get some of the older members too."

Carlos feigned blushing. "Oh my God, there are other members too?"

Of course there were other members. A club in decline had to fall from something higher up. Nothing better than pointing that out to emphasize it. And besides which, he only had a grade - or two, depending on how badly shit would eventually go down -  left in him before it was off to quieter pastures (i.e. Seattle Central Community College.)

The banner falling down seemed to be thought translated into metaphorical reality, one that he seemed to reflexively respond to as if to divert a crisis. Almost as if something in him still figured there was a choice that would lead him out, rather than a choice between how fast shit would inevitably go down.

"Uh oh! Lemme fix that..." he quickly sputtered out, before moving to one of the banner's corners and trying to lift it back into place.

Okay, maybe I'll be receiving that e-mail after all.
Slam

Post by Slam »

"Oh, let me." Dave said, joining Carlos' efforts to replace his banner on the wall. His smile had faltered from its sincerity during their conversation, and with the distraction breaking his focus the grin left his face completely as the two moved towards the poster.

Carlos was either very hard to read or Dave didn't want to believe what he was getting. Carlos was being sarcastic with him, at least all the signs were pointing that way, which would mean he was trying to have fun at Dave's expense. At the same time, however, what could he do? He hadn't done anything that was unmistakably rude and so far he still seemed interested in joining the club. Who was Dave to stop him from trying to help if he wanted to?

Dave pressed the poster's blu-tack back against the wall, holding it in place as he waited for it to stay stuck for good this time. He took the time to look at Carlos again, hoping for a sign that  he wasn't just playing along on some big joke. "I think that's about everything. Anything you wanna ask Carl?"
[+] Dead V7 Kids
[+] Pregame Shenanigans

Return to “Lunch Room”