Good Omens

The staff library has been burnt to the ground, the friendly atmosphere lost to time. Sunlight freely enters the library from where the now collapsed roof used to be, and wind freely blows through the compound. Charred and collapsed bookshelves litter the area, and the floor is covered in layers of ash from the former reading material. A few partially burnt chairs remain standing, and the fireplace has been left mostly untouched.
Cicada

Post by Cicada »

Ben was physically holding himself in place, had no momentum all the same. Conversation wasn't an especially long one as of yet, but it stretched on all the same. Syllables like metronome beats. Hut-two-three...

"... I don't give a fuck."

Four. Maxim had almost seemed to swell up with that, bloat up all ugly and declare it with no shame for the underlying meaning. Ben nodded solemnly, weighed his options. Brain felt lighter, emptier. Like the end of a good song on the radio with announcer blather into the subsequent pop trash. Ben felt like he'd moved himself too fast. Shot himself down too fast. What else was he fucking supposed to do? He'd come up with a plan, it hadn't worked. Happened plenty of times back in the world outside this island. Go to the market, find out there's no stock. Pick up a girl, find out there's no chemistry. No worries. You could rebound like rubber in the soles, move on. Here and now, Ben could move on.

Felt hard to put the new thing into his feet though. Whatever it was. His ankles continued to grind furls into the dirt.

"Guess I get you." It was a reluctant overture, Ben felt half sick admitting it. "Dunno if I can really relate but maybe I'm still in shock over..." Like it needed to be said. Maxim's throat clear sufficed as typical punctuation. A period was boring but it worked.

"Trust is a big question, yeah." This part of the conversation was easier. "I'm pretty sure we're both lying to ourselves if we assume we can trust one another. Even if we could, two guys without weapons is hardly better than one guy without 'em. Would have to split the resources too. Like you said, I don't see it." Ben could at least talk it up. Words were good and all, but he had to start moving. Get out of his own shadow, plastered as it was over the adjacent wall by the sun lingering on his skin.
V8 Vibes:
[+] Peace Only Under Liberty
Character Relation Planner! - I'll be responding to proposals and ideas in increments, please be patient!
V7 Vibes:
[+] Cicada Uses A Gun For The First Time
ImageB008, Demetri Futscher - Captain Of The USS Dekcuc - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 *
Image G018, Beryl Mahelona - Sleepyhead - 1 *
ImageG040, Camila Cañizares - Nightingale - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 *
ImageG060, Princess McQuillan - a flimsy purpose - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 *
ImageG065, Kelly Nguyen - everyone's friend - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Updated Character Appearances - Updated July 2020
Pregame Relationships
Rorick Skyve†

Post by Rorick Skyve† »

Maxim's facial features didn't move much as he listened to Ben's take on their situation. He still felt the ever existing urge to chew on his own lips, but he held back this time. Even when he could have cared less what the one standing in front of him thought about his peculiarities.

He found himself agreeing with the other boy's assessment, it all sounded reasonable. Even all his deep-rooted disdain for Ben aside, allying himself with him was not necessarily the best thing he could do. Although, granted he had feared that he'd put an end to his life a mere minute ago, this had all gone considerably smoother than he'd have thought.

And to be honest, that fact was somehow fascinating to Maxim. Here he was, standing in front of this guy he had avoided for so many years, wouldn't have shed a tear if he had simply dropped dead; this guy he'd have drawn a gun or any kind of weapon on upon first sight, if only he'd have been in possession of one. And yet, there was some feeling within him that contradicted all of those previous sentiments. Had he been forced to take a guess, he'd have gone with - respect? Some sort of spiteful respect.

Yes, that felt appropriate. Even for all his flaws, Ben had remained reasonable here, logical. That was probably what he respected. Ben was nothing but waste as a human being, but he wasn't stupid, at least for a homophobe. In the end, wasn't that what he'd have to look for? Someone who understood the situation as much as him, someone who he'd be able to work with, lack of trust aside. Basically, his respect for the guy also indicated that he'd be of use to him. For a while, at least.

Ben was suited to help Maxim keep himself alive. That was more than he could say for most people he knew personally. If so, then he knew what he had to do.

"So I take it you'd prefer we part ways here, yes? Well, I can't stop you if you see it that way, of course, but-" Now that part was tricky. He couldn't just tell Ben what he had just weaved in his head, obviously. He'd have to follow it up with something though.

"Look, we're out in the open, so I don't feel like taking my sweet time to spell out my take on it here. All I'm going to say is, I think we should at least try. Maybe it'll work, maybe not, but you can ditch me at any given time if you feel it's the latter, no? My point is, I don't see any harm in trying."

Not the best of arguments, but maybe enough to convince him.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Rorick Skyve. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Cicada

Post by Cicada »

Ben felt one of the discs of his spine beginning to slowly warp out of place. He shuffled his weight around a bit. A foot was bodily dragged to it's new resting place.

He listened a bit more. Reflexively, Ben found he and Maxim had something in common, much as that made him churn bile. Two dudes who didn't give a fuck. Maybe about different things, or things not so different. Ben would have crossed his arms. Impulse was there, but they were a bit heavy at the moment. Maybe just enough tension left in the muscle to raise hands half-mast, right into boxing stance. Besides that, they were inert species of lead.

"Yeah, we don't have much time to hash this out. My point is..." Ben just needed a moment. Get himself a quick dose of breath, needed that oxygen in the blood and all. But damn did that minuscule frame of time stretch on unnecessarily. Could have been the leftover adrenaline fraying his nerves all fierce. "Trying is a resource risk. We'll present more targets to take down, and one of us is going to be moving at a slower pace." And to be honest Ben was pretty sure he knew who that one was, unless Maxim was sitting on his years of MMA at Trav's side. Ben wasn't going to say it out loud though. He'd settle for a demonstration, when he eventually got himself moving in the direction of 'out of here'.

Soon.

"There's more harm in trying than there is in not. I just don't see what either of us could stand to gain." As the perceived superior party in the exchange he didn't.
V8 Vibes:
Character Relation Planner! - I'll be responding to proposals and ideas in increments, please be patient!
V7 Vibes:
ImageG060, Princess McQuillan - a flimsy purpose - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 *
ImageG065, Kelly Nguyen - everyone's friend - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Pregame Relationships
Rorick Skyve†

Post by Rorick Skyve† »

Well, he had accepted this. Resistance, doubts, all that. He had not provided Ben with enough arguments of his own, that much was obvious. Besides, the guy was most certainly still held back by his own inability to look past his prejudice, in some way or another. That was a bit disappointing to say the least, but again, he had expected it. Maxim himself was better than this, obviously, he would not let his disdain for Ben cloud his better judgment, he was above that. Convincing Ben of doing the same was a challenge, of course. But with what he stood to gain, it was one worth taking on.

Raising a brow slightly, he brought a hand to his chin, feeling at his own stubble. "Well, that's where I'd like to differ: I don't see this as a risk the way you see it as much as a clear calculated risk. Having to split up resources? Well, why not have each of us stick to what's in our own bags, nothing more. We wouldn't gain anything this way, but not lose something either. And as for your 'multiple targets' story-"

Maxim cleared his throat again. Talking this much only helped make it more rough than it already was. He'd have to take a first sip or two of his water soon, couldn't hold off on that forever. "Presenting more targets to take down is one thing, but wandering off alone a complete other. Someone sees one single person walk around, they'll feel more safe in taking that one down. They see two, they'll have to consider the possibility of one of them being armed. Less likely for them to try and attack." He'd have to partially go back on what he said earlier now, contradict much of his earlier behavior and plan. That was okay, he was mature enough to admit he had been wrong in some regards.

"Look, I don't really believe in 'safety in numbers', it has more drawbacks than benefits I'd say, but - small groups, they work best for this. Only problem left is that trust issue, but we can work around that. You're smart enough to see that, right?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Rorick Skyve. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Cicada

Post by Cicada »

Ben could respect the proceedings, at least. Emotions crisp, efficient. Whitewashed, sterile. Like his hazy memories of debate. But this kid didn't know what he was talking about, props to his demeanor aside. Grasping for straws with those fat fingers of his. Ben wasn't about to go betting on the survival chances of the faces he shared Cochise colors with, but he had not-so-vague reservations about this particular face. Out-of-shape, like a preschooler had been working on coloring in the lines.

Ben firmly hit the points back, one by one. No home runs, but he was feeling the solid angles he was coming from.

"No trust, no guarantee we don't start looking at each others bags. Scoped it out when I woke up, we only have enough water for four days apiece. People will be getting ideas pretty fast." People like Maxim Last Name. Listen to all that phlegmy throat clearing. Dude probably two days worth of water tops. He'd clear bottles faster than he had back in the Fields residence.

"Point to you there. But a group of people isn't totally safe. They got each other to contend with." Honestly, in hindsight Ben had hardly been willing to pair up with Jerry. Two dudes fueled up on a Benjamin Fields plan? Someone was dying there, and it wasn't the bad guy. People were dying. That was who was dying.

And Ben was just going to stand here, trying to talk down something he wouldn't have spared three words for back home.

"See, I'm thinking that if you scramble away from me from the moment I started talking my ass out, you're not exactly looking for a team up with me in particular. It'd be an alliance of convenience, rickety ass one where we're putting each other in danger more than helping each other out. We're not 'working things out'. If we couldn't do it back when in society what makes you think we can do it now...? If that makes me dumb, well. Guess I am."
V8 Vibes:
V7 Vibes:

Pregame Relationships
Rorick Skyve†

Post by Rorick Skyve† »

Maxim felt like something was beginning to gnaw at the back of his mind. Unpleasant and annoying, he was all too familiar with it. And he knew very well what was causing it too. Ben was starting to, for a lack of better words, piss him off.

He had been willing to give this guy a chance, to look past their differences, to actually try and appreciate his more redeeming qualities. Not that it had been easy for him, but he had managed. Ben on the other hand? Oh, it seemed he was still stubborn as ever, trying really hard to spout whatever came to his mind, object to Maxim's points just for the sake of objecting. And all just to hide the very obvious fact that he couldn't stop being an ignorant homophobic-

No, no, he couldn't let himself be carried away. He was better than this, he wouldn't just get provoked that easily, no matter how stubborn Ben was being. Though at least the guy had enough brains in his head to recognize he was being dumb, only he didn't even seem bothered by it. Maxim couldn't help it, his next words were fueled by nothing but spite.

"Yes, yes you are." A scowl returned to his features and he let out a troubled sigh, though barely audible. This Ben, he really wasn't going to let himself be convinced, was he? If so, then that made him a stubborn idiot and as such, no more valuable to him than Nadia or Jasmine were. And he had had no problems letting those two go. Still, just for the sake of demonstrating he held no grudges, that he wasn't as susceptive to childlike obstinacy, he was going to give Ben a last chance. A last chance for him to prove that maybe he was smart after all.

"Look, you're free to leap to conclusions all you want, yes? Doesn't change the fact that you're making a mistake." He didn't want to sound threatening, it would only help to further alienate the other boy. But if some sort of aggressive undertone had slipped into his voice, then he hadn't noticed.

"You're not being reasonable and that will end up getting you killed sooner or later. I'm offering a hand here, free help, alright? Are you sure you just want to ignore that?" Maxim performed a few forceful hand gestures to accentuate his words, just in case those would be able to somehow make the difference there.
Cicada

Post by Cicada »

Ben was near checking out of the conversation early. Bag and body had already begun to creak in the direction of anywhere that wasn't there. Destination was somewhere on that kiddie-colors map they'd handed out. Just had to take a look, take a walk. Clear his head a bit, of all this whatever that he couldn't describe with all the English he'd never mastered.

There was still talking, though. Shit to hear out, as much as it didn't matter. Almost sounded pitiable from the tones. Pitiable if it weren't dangerously warbling backing vocals to a fist to Ben's face. Yeah. Aggressive tone was definitely helping Maxim out on the front of 'convince this kid I mutually despise to trust me'.

"Good to know." Succinct response, in closing. Yeses and conclusions and mistakes, Ben wouldn't contest those points as of now. He didn't want to. They were all true. Not like Maxim Whatever needed to know that shit though. All he needed to know was that if he wanted an ally, it wasn't going to be Ben. Really, as much as Ben couldn't seem to articulate it, he was doing both of 'em a favor. Neither needed the other around as what amounted to a useless hazard. Maxim needed... whatever, who even fucking knew. And Ben needed...

Whatever. Who even fucking knew.

"Think I'm being pretty reasonable here, dude." Ben was moving, for real. He could resume the cadence of his march safely, if he angled himself out into the distance where he could see the blobby fat lip of a cliff with waterside estate. Ground out this way was rough, crunchy underfoot. If Maxim decided to up the ante of the retard arms race the two dudes had been running Ben would hear him coming. Sans a knife he was pretty sure he could take this particular hazard on. Alright. Last thoughts.

"Your helping hand doesn't amount to much, so you'll want to get yourself some better collateral before you find your next victims."
V8 Vibes:
V7 Vibes:

Pregame Relationships
Rorick Skyve†

Post by Rorick Skyve† »

Maxim stopped whatever movements his hands were making and instead brought them together, creating a single short clapping sound. Ben had already made his choice, was ready to leave, wouldn't even let him finish what he had to say. Not only stubborn, but goddamn insolent at that. It was enough to make Maxim's blood boil a bit, that was for sure.

Wringing his hands, he opened his mouth to utter a resentful comment in Ben's direction, but shut it again just in time. It wasn't worth it, getting upset because of that idiot. The least he could do was stay calm on the outside, not show it openly. That would be embarrassing.

"Alright then."

His throat really had gotten pretty dry; so much breath and words wasted on Ben. Shame, really. He almost couldn't believe he had seriously considered the possibility of Ben being valuable to him, respected him even. God, he had been naive, let himself be blinded by a few smart sounding words out of that boy's mouth. Well, he knew better now, knew the guy was  stupid on top of being a bigot, rotten to the damn core. Good riddance. Not like he needed a mule as an ally.

Still, how all this went down felt wrong, in a way. He had been rejected and left to himself. Granted, he was glad for it now, but that was not the point. Ben probably felt very satisfied with himself, like he had showed him, humiliated him, all out of pure spite. No, he couldn't just let him leave on that note. This might have very well been the last time the two of them were ever going to come face to face; he couldn't let Ben have that. That guy had to know what a goddamn fool he was.

Maxim took a few steps in the direction of Ben, who had just begun to take off. "You know what that means then, right? You refusing to work together?" He made a short pause, barely a second; he had no intent for Ben to answer, after all. "Means we're not allies, and in a situation like this, not being allies means being enemies." He liked that line, sounded like something he had heard or read somewhere before. 'He who is not with me is against me', something like that.

"So if you ever come across me again and you need some sort of help, because you're starving,  injured, dying, whichever - don't expect any from me. Though chances are, you'll end up dead somewhere and we won't meet again, in which case, tough luck."
Cicada

Post by Cicada »

Ben could hear the island come to life, vaguely. Birds and cicadas and whatever else existed out here. The ambient sounds of home, but with an uncomfortably alien tinge. Wetter, thicker, like it was bleeding or leaking. Had the soldier-to-be standing at un-ease. Least it was probably upping his pace a bit. He needed to make up for lost time. He slid open the zipper of his bag just a bit, began to fumble. He could get eyeballs on his map, balls of his feet back on track. Inventory was thus informal, whatever he could brush fingertips against. Plastic wrapped blocks, probably food. Ignore. The familiar contour of water bottles. Ignore. Threaded, twisty mass of what was probably his daytrip sweater. Ignore.

There it was. He began to wrestle it out. Wrestle his thoughts down all the while. This far out he could see around the corner of the neighboring building's prefab. Some kinda old fashioned cabin, real wood instead of plaster of paris or whatever it was they'd used for the other buildings in the compound. Instinct told him not to go there, not yet. It was a bit too stand out, probably a couple faces around there he wasn't prepared to run into. He could walk right around, skirt the edges. Get himself a view of the water, whatever good that shit did him.

Hold on.

Ben glanced back. Important part was, the other kid wasn't following him.

Final few thoughts.

((Ben Fields continued in Forget About What I Said))
V8 Vibes:
V7 Vibes:

Pregame Relationships
Rorick Skyve†

Post by Rorick Skyve† »

And off he went. Without even giving him any sort of response at that. On the one hand, this at least meant Maxim had spoken the final words of their conversation; didn't have to fear some witty or hurtful retort from Ben. Part of him simply wanted to see the other boy's silence as resignation. Of course, the other part of him wasn't convinced of that at all.

Ben was just simply ignoring him. No sign of anger, irritation or even intimidation, nothing. Just nothing. In a way, this was even worse than any insult the guy could have hurled his way. It was almost enough for Maxim to want to follow him, say more to him, try to get his attention. But he wouldn't stoop so low, no goddamn way he would.

He even went so far as to force himself not to look after Ben as he wandered off. That chapter was finished, end of story. Whatever the future held in store for the other boy, Maxim was most likely not going to be part of it. Mostly because he was certain that Ben's story was going to end with his untimely end. Maxim didn't need to be around to witness that.

It surprised him a little, of course. Him writing the boy off that easily, accepting Ben's death as an inevitability and not even being that bothered about it. Then again, had there not been times in the past where he secretly wished for that exact guy to just drop dead? He hadn't been serious about it of course, or so he thought at least. But now that it was suddenly so very, very possible and real, he wasn't sure anymore. He wasn't sure about a lot of things, except that he needed to get himself moving, to somewhere not out in the open like that.

Maybe he'd seek refuge in one of the many buildings around. Or maybe he'd just keep walking, hoping to run into someone both capable and trustworthy. Did he even know such a person?

Maxim shook his head, as if to rid himself of all the excess thought in his head. For once, overthinking things wasn't going to help him out any further. He just had to go and see what he'd stumble across next. Then he could still lay out new plans. He really wished he'd know how to use that stupid bow in his bag though.

((Maxim Kehlenbrink continued in Prince of Nothing))

Return to “The Library”