Pass or Fail (Content Warning)

Afterschool tutoring session

The library is not as large as it perhaps could be, and is certainly not one of the school's more comfortable rooms. Located on the second floor, the library is lit by fluorescent lights, and is almost always somewhat messy and disorganized. The staff here is insufficient to keep up with the use the room receives, and thus student volunteers are relied upon fairly heavily. Most of the academic books are fairly new, but the selection of novels is rather sparse.
MrMissMrs Random†

Pass or Fail (Content Warning)

Post by MrMissMrs Random† »

(Rosemary Michaels continued from St. Edwards Bake Sale)

Rosemary let out a small sigh as she checked in her phone again. The girl had come about ten minutes earlier than the time she had told her 'employer' to come so she could set up a small working station with pencils, pens, and a clean notebook.

I hope he's on time... The girl thought to herself. She didn't have many classes with him, but she could tell Joey Polpetta top priority was not academic excellence. She had asked the boy's mother when she had called for assistance for her son for past grades and from what she saw it was not looking that good. He's one failed test away from having to retake senior year. We're going to have to make sure he raises his grade in Math so he can qualify for the amount of years and we're going to have to go through those books in English. If worse comes to worse I might just tell him to get the Cliff notes and study like hell, but that won't help him in the long run.

Sometimes she wondered why she decided to take this job, and then she remembered how she needed the money. Her family was pretty well off and her parents had stable jobs, but if she wanted to eventually go to university she would either have to pitch in or pray for a scholarship. Plus, she could always use some extra spending money. Rosemary took another look around the practically deserted library one more time, mentally preparing herself for the two hours of tutoring to come.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler MrMissMrs Random. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
umop-ap!sdn†

Post by umop-ap!sdn† »

Joey slumped into the library. Normally, he'd come in here during study hall to play games on the internet, but today was all about learning. Mama Polpetta had nagged and nagged, and even though he knew she was right, he'd resisted. Sure, to an extent, he was glad to be getting help, but not forced down his throat.

(distasteful joke has been removed, sorry to those who were offended-Joe)

It was getting closer to three now. The sooner her got there, the sooner he could leave. He moved through the huge sensors that made sure nobody was stealing books and glanced around the room. Books lined the walls with the occasional worm squirming about. At one of the tables he saw a girl lining up pencils at the seat across from her. He grunted to himself and headed in her direction.

"Ayo, you here for Joey Polpetta?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler umop-ap!sdn. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
MrMissMrs Random†

Rosemary looked up at the noticibly stocky teen in front of her. At least he's here on time.

"Yes, that is you I presume?" The girl replied, keeping her voice low in the library and standing up to offer her hand. "I'm Rosemary Michaels, hope I can be of service."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler MrMissMrs Random. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
SOTF_Help

Post by SOTF_Help »

After consultation, the staff has added a content warning to the title of this thread. The trivialization of real-life sexual assault, as a simple avenue for throwaway jokes, is a matter that the bulk of our members find extremely offensive. It is something which the staff heavily frowns upon, and, while we acknowledge that some people do think like that and so there are times where it may potentially be somewhat realistic, it is something where members should always be warned so that they may avoid the distasteful and offensive topic should they so desire. Please keep this in mind for future posts, and please bear in mind the sensibilities and potential reactions of other members when posting.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM Help. Thank you for your attention.

-The SOTF Staff
MrMissMrs Random†

((I made edits to the topic and my post.))
SOTF_Help

Post by SOTF_Help »

Actually, this was the segment referred to in the post above:
Well, maybe if there was a female Sandusky out there, he could sleep his way up. He smiled at the impossible fantasy of slutting himself out to beautiful, professional women in return for promotions.
umop-ap!sdn†

Post by umop-ap!sdn† »

(Joke has been edited out, I apologize if anybody was offended. I wasn't aiming to offend anybody, but it just seemed like something Joey would think. Again, I'm sorry, but in the future I'd appreciate a PM about any concerns rather than going over my head. I'm very, very sorry I upset anybody.)

Joey raised his eyebrows and exaled. So this was his tutor, and this was really happening. He groaned and sat himself down at the table. "Rosemary what you go by, or you got a preferred name?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler umop-ap!sdn. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
MrMissMrs Random†

"I prefer to be called Rosemary," The girl answered, lowering her hand since the boy didn't seem to want shake. "Did you bring the books you need with you?"
SOTF_Help

Post by SOTF_Help »

((The staff prefers to communicate issues of general policy in a public fashion, so as to avoid having to make the same corrections or notations repeatedly in pregame. PM issues are more for character-specific issues or issues unlikely to come up again.))
umop-ap!sdn†

Post by umop-ap!sdn† »

(i meant if a handler has a concern, please PM me rather than venting elsewhere. I dont mind criticsm, and I will edit something out and apologize promptly if somebody is offended.)

Really? Rosemary? Not Rosie, or R.M or RoMama? Joey ran through several more lame names he liked in his head before reacting. He let his backack drop behing him, the weight of all of his textbooks making a solid thud on the ground.

"Yepp."

He sat down and opened his bag up. He lifted book after book, using only one arm to compensate for the workout he was missing. Geometry, Physics, and Italian had the big books. Jekyll and Hyde topped off the pile. He slide the Italian one back into his bag, he was at a solid C+, he didn't need no tutor for that.

"Books apleanty." Math was probably his biggest problem area. Physics was also pretty bad, but English was more a matter or pretending to give a shit. Sparknotes would probably be his answer for that. He slouched back in his chair, making an obviously fake half-smile. "So.. Geometry time?"
MrMissMrs Random†

"Yes, Rosemary." The girl replied calmly, trying to stop herself from flinching as the back pack was dropped. The girl sat back down, picking the Geometry book from the pile.

"Right," The girl took  stapled sheets of paper from her book bag and slid it over to Joey. "I want to see which areas your having the most trouble in so we can focus on those first. Here is a collection of questions that are similar to the ones you'd find in your book. Once your finished we'll work out any of the problems you missed, okay?"

The girl started to flip through the pages of the book. She didn't particurally enjoy math, but she knew how to go about doing it and finding the right answer. The best and worst thing about math is that there's always a right answer, at least in lower levels. You can't talk or explain your way out of it.
umop-ap!sdn†

Post by umop-ap!sdn† »

Joey looked at the math packet. Already he had work. He stumbled through some triangles and quadrangles, remembering that the sum of their angles added up to 180 and 360 respectively. Two triangles put together made a quad, nothing too difficult.

Complimentary and supplementary angles again weren't a big problem. He couldn't remember which was called which, but he knew the corner was 90 and the line was 180. And then a circle would be 360, who the fuck picked all these numbers?

He stopped when he came to a more complicated polygon. To most, it would be called a regular pentagon. But to Joey, it was a round looking house without a chimney. He counted the five sides several times to confirm it was not a quadrilateral. A line from the shape's center to one of the corners had a "3" next to it, and he needed the area.

"Uhh, Rosemary," he said her name almost regretfully, wishing it could be more fun, "I'm stuck on this one here." he turned the packet and pushed it towards her.
MrMissMrs Random†

Rosemary looked up from  Jekyll and Hyde, taking picking up a pencil and looking at the problem. "Okay. Since this is a normal pentagon, it's safe to say that all the sides and angles are the same. A way to find the other sides is by cutting into parts equal to the corners given, like this."

The girl drew lines equal to the 3 already given, making the shape look like a missshapen pizza. "Then we cut those in half."

Once she was finished with that she pushed back from the table. "Now look closely, can you see another type of shape in the line I've drawn? Focus on the corners."
umop-ap!sdn†

Post by umop-ap!sdn† »

(Sorry for the hold up, internet is finally going strong)

Joey watched the triangles appear within the shape. Recognizing the method from class, he felt like a moron for having dismissed it as stupid so quickly. Now a STUDENT was teaching him, because he was so dumb anybody could teach him. Maybe she was some kind of prodigy. He quickly labeled her "quiet genius type" and accepted her authority in the situation.

"Triangles."
MrMissMrs Random†

"Correct," The girl replied, glad that Joey seemed to understand the pizza method. "Right triangles to be percise."

Rosemary drew one of the triangles next to the pentagon, numbering the slanting side with a "3". "Now try to find the area of this triangle then multiply it with the number of triangles the pentagon is made up of."

The girl looked up at a nearby clock to see a half hour had already past. We'll need to move on to another subject soon...

Return to “Library”