La Reine Du Bal

This is for the dance itself! Aurora's Prom takes place at a large event center about four miles from Aurora High rented by the school specifically for the night, on Saturday, May 19, 2012. The theme is Moonlight Serenade. As Prom is a large event in an enclosed space, making privacy somewhat difficult to attain, NO PRIVATE THREADS WILL BE ALLOWED IN THIS FORUM. This forum can cover anything from the arrival at the dance to when students leave.
Emprexx Plush

Post by Emprexx Plush »

Saved by the D.J.

Garrett didn't have much confidence in his ability to keep up with faster dances. He was passable, but prone to mistakes with timing. There was a slight amount of hesitation in his step as she drew him to the dance floor, until he heard the song change.

"How about a slow waltz between you and I?"

A waltz he could handle. In fact, he might almost be good at it. "It'd be an honor, Bella." He stared back at her as he moved his hands into position, one at her side and the other holding her hand, as they began to sway slowly to the music.
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
ImageG056, Alda Abbate(Adopted)
It was difficult to nail down exactly when the anger started. Remembering a time when it wasn't there, coiled up and waiting to strike or alive and thrashing, was growing more and more challenging. It'd been with her for so long that it no longer felt like an intruder in her mind. It felt like a part of her.
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
I multiplied. Then I subtracted. That's what we do now. That's how we keep the most people around.
ImageB014, Joachim Lovelace(Adopted)
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

ImageG037, Abby Floyd:This place was vile. Overwhelmingly, terribly vile. Character Theme: Everything's Alright-Emily Scholz
ImageB016, Ty Yazzie: You ever wonder if you still got a home to go back to? Character Theme: Warrior People-Medicine For The People
ImageIsaac Brea(Adopted from Espi): Isaac's well of fucks was bone-dry. Character Theme: The Whiskey, The Liar, The Thief-Patent Pending
ImageG011, Caedyn Miller:So...how did you wanna do this? Feeling an open casket? Or is that dumb? Nah, don't say it, that's dumb. We'll be soup by the time they send us home anyway. Character Theme: Sleep-My Chemical Romance
ImageG032, Irene Djezari(Adopted from CicadaDays): Death was not worse than Meme Hell. Character Theme: A Beautiful Lie-30 Seconds To Mars
[+] V7 Characters
ImageB066, Blaise d'Aramitz: I am not fucking dabbing on a corpse, Carl. Character Theme: The Nurse Who Loved Me-A Perfect Circle
ImageG032, Helena 'Hel" Fury: I hope my family’s waiting. The one I made out here. I hope you’ll be a part of it again. Character Theme: Fix Me-10 YearsImage
ImageB073, Jeremiah Anderson: "GO--GO--GO." Character theme: The Big Sleep-Murder By Death
ImageG066, Marco Hart: I'm not satisfied anymore. I don't think I'd want to be if I could. Character theme: Maurice's Monsters-Small Leaks Sink Ships
ImageG080, Nikki Nelson-Kelly: The fools. The morons. The aBsOlUtE cReTiNs. Character Theme: Movement-The Whip
ImageG062, Tonya Collins: The girl, the person, the thing, the shape on the screen, that wasn't her. Character Theme: Get Down-Isador
Sansa

Post by Sansa »

Her fingers gripping into his shoulder, his hand clutched around her waist, their fingers entwined together, Bella and Garrett moved in unison to the music. She hadn't done much waltzing as of late (her schoolwork having been detrimental to any uncompulsory activities), so her movements were stiff and awkward at first. As they continued to move, however, her steps become more fluid and natural as they spun slowly together. The colours of their clothes blurred, dark blue mingling with blanched white.

The lyrics of the song became muffled in Bella's mind as their slow dance continued, her thoughts lingering on the moment at hand. This was perfect...the most perfect anything could be. It made her sad to think that she mightn't ever be this happy again. Anxious, almost...

No. Not anymore. Not with Garrett by my side.

The song came to a climax and finished, Bella breathing heavily. She was far from being unfit, but their dance had been so exhilarating as to leave her almost exhausted.

"Garrett...Garrett you were perfect."
Emprexx Plush

Post by Emprexx Plush »

It wasn't anything like the picturesque scene displayed on countless screens and book-covers across human history. They didn't start out with perfect, practiced coordination expressed through expert, effortless motion. They didn't grace the floor and cause the whole crowd to stare at them in awe until they finally collapsed in each other's arms to thunderous applause. Indeed, their first steps were halting and oddly placed as they searched for the rhythm, and they earned at best a few glances from their otherwise self-absorbed peers. It didn't look anything like the fairy-tale sequence that they'd been promised over and over again within popular culture.

It sure felt like it, though.

Damn the rhythm. They found their own together first, then adjusted it to fit the song. Damn the precision. They'd moved beyond mechanical gestures until they were guiding each other with each step. Damn the crowd. They each had the attention of the only pair of eyes that mattered.

It wasn't professional. It wasn't technically astonishing. It wouldn't stun a crowd on Broadway or draw the envy of high society, but it was honest, and it was personal, and it was passionate. It was theirs, and they wouldn't have it any other way.

As the dance ended, they were both out of breath. Garrett was used to exerting himself often, but this was a different kind of exhaustion. He wasn't so much weighed down with fatigue as he was with genuine, unbridled contentment. Were he a Faustian Ariel, Mephisto's claim on his soul would be complete, and he suspected he still wouldn't have the presence of mind to object. There was something more, though. The grin on his face has softened from the glare of outright joy she usually inspired him. To most people, his smile wouldn't have looked any different than usual. There was a subtlety to it, though, that came from exchanging contentment for compassion.

I'm in love with her.

It wasn't the first time the notion had crossed his mind, but it was the first he'd allowed it to assert itself before being squashed under a potent mixture of panic and anxiety. He pulled Bella closer as she commented on his side of their performance, brushing a stray hair from her face and speaking softly. "You always bring out the best in me, Bella. It's no surprise, though. I knew you were perfect from the day we met, remember?"
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
It was difficult to nail down exactly when the anger started. Remembering a time when it wasn't there, coiled up and waiting to strike or alive and thrashing, was growing more and more challenging. It'd been with her for so long that it no longer felt like an intruder in her mind. It felt like a part of her.
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
I multiplied. Then I subtracted. That's what we do now. That's how we keep the most people around.
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

ImageG037, Abby Floyd:This place was vile. Overwhelmingly, terribly vile. Character Theme: Everything's Alright-Emily Scholz
ImageB016, Ty Yazzie: You ever wonder if you still got a home to go back to? Character Theme: Warrior People-Medicine For The People
ImageIsaac Brea(Adopted from Espi): Isaac's well of fucks was bone-dry. Character Theme: The Whiskey, The Liar, The Thief-Patent Pending
ImageG011, Caedyn Miller:So...how did you wanna do this? Feeling an open casket? Or is that dumb? Nah, don't say it, that's dumb. We'll be soup by the time they send us home anyway. Character Theme: Sleep-My Chemical Romance
ImageG032, Irene Djezari(Adopted from CicadaDays): Death was not worse than Meme Hell. Character Theme: A Beautiful Lie-30 Seconds To Mars
[+] V7 Characters
ImageB066, Blaise d'Aramitz: I am not fucking dabbing on a corpse, Carl. Character Theme: The Nurse Who Loved Me-A Perfect Circle
ImageG032, Helena 'Hel" Fury: I hope my family’s waiting. The one I made out here. I hope you’ll be a part of it again. Character Theme: Fix Me-10 YearsImage
ImageB073, Jeremiah Anderson: "GO--GO--GO." Character theme: The Big Sleep-Murder By Death
ImageG066, Marco Hart: I'm not satisfied anymore. I don't think I'd want to be if I could. Character theme: Maurice's Monsters-Small Leaks Sink Ships
ImageG080, Nikki Nelson-Kelly: The fools. The morons. The aBsOlUtE cReTiNs. Character Theme: Movement-The Whip
ImageG062, Tonya Collins: The girl, the person, the thing, the shape on the screen, that wasn't her. Character Theme: Get Down-Isador
Sansa

Post by Sansa »

Bella grinned even wider as Garrett waved away the stray strand of hair that wafted in front of her face. He was such a gentleman, in every sense of the word. Garrett was so gentle and kind and sweet to her, something she'd never been certain of with any of her fleeting crushes or infactuations. And despite his sensitivities, she knew he'd always be there for her, that he'd always protect her. Bella knew that was what she needed. Every single one of her doubts, of her flaws, could be evened out by the boy that was Garrett Wilde.

Pulled in at Garrett's side, Bella could feel the soft beating of his heart, the rhythmic way his chest rose and fell. She'd never been so close to anyone like this before, opened herself up as much as she had with him. This ought to plague her with anxieties, send her into a spiral of realisation that she'd invested so much into her...(what was it? Friendship?) with Garrett. But it didn't. They'd arisen before, outside, but now, in Garrett's arms, Bella dismissed them without a second thought.

"Yes," she breathed, still aching with tiredness from their dance. "You did. You know Garrett, from the first time I met you I always thought you'd be important. And look what's happened."

Bella began to pull Garrett gently towards the seating area, in need of a rest and some light refreshment. When they'd met...she hadn't thought of it as poetically as she'd just said - she was an embellisher at heart - but now...with Garrett beside her, their two destinies couldn't have been more obvious from the start.

Garrett and Bella. Bella and Garrett. However way you say it, it's...perfect.
Emprexx Plush

Post by Emprexx Plush »

Garrett followed Bella to the seats and found her a place to rest. He sat for a moment, then noticed that she seemed a bit flushed. He gave her hand a quick squeeze and rose. "Here, let me get us some punch. I'll be right back."

As he walked away, the niggling doubts began to worm back into his thoughts. How in the world was he pulling this off? She seemed to be legitimately enjoying herself. In fact, they seemed even closer than ever. He'd never been this happy, everything felt like it couldn't be better, and here he was ruining it with thoughts of...well, certainly more than friendship. What was he going to do about that?

Think. Obviously you can't tell her. Just come up with something else to talk about.

He froze at the familiarity of the thought. It was the same one that had crossed his mind when she asked about his bruise. He'd lied to her then. It was the only thing he'd ever consciously kept from her, and tonight he'd learn just how large a mistake that had been. That was something so small and personal at the time, and it still could have driven them apart if he hadn't honestly believed he was doing the right thing at the time, and she hadn't been so willing to accept his apology.

He wasn't going to do that again. He just needed to figure out what he was going to do instead. The more he thought about it, the more he felt compelled to simply be honest and tell her. It was a stupid, inelegant, and ultimately risky course of action, but where had avoiding risk ever gotten him? If he played safe with this relationship, it wouldn't exist in the first place.

There was hesitation in his step as he brought their drinks back. He sat down next to her, reaching out to give her the glass of punch. After a brief beat of silence, he chose his method of approach.

"Bella? Do you remember when you asked my why I've never had a girlfriend, back in the library?"
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

[+] V7 Characters
Sansa

Post by Sansa »

Bella took the brimming cup from Garrett's hand as he returned with their drinks. In his absence she'd looked around in more detail at the room's intriacate decorations. The organisers had done a superb job, she thought. The atmosphere was so pleasant, and everybody seemed to be having a lovely time. The overpowering scent of stewed strawberries filled Bella's nostrils as she sipped at her punch. It was nice, although a little bit too sweet for her to fully enjoy it.

Her firm grasp on her cup faltered and she nearly slipped when Garrett said, quite out-of-the-blue if she remembered asking him about his constant lack of girlfriend. It was something she'd dwelled on (more than she'd like to admit), and the day had been quite a memorable one, so she could recall the scene in clear detail. But...why was he bringing it up now? He hadn't found one, had he? Did she really have such business pondering about it? What was he going to do? What was he...

Calm, Bella. She told herself. Breathe in and out. Not everything needs to be analysed so thoroughly.

"Yes I do, Garrett. Why...why d'you ask?"

She smiled and sipped again at her drink, hoping to cover up the nerves that had crept through her reply. I don't even know what I want him to say...
Emprexx Plush

Post by Emprexx Plush »

She seemed nervous. Of course she did. What sort of a question was that? He couldn't fathom why he chose to start the conversation that way. Perhaps he could save it.

"I don't know. I was just thinking about how I kind of laughed it off at the time, but in a way it bothers me. I don't really connect with people on that level, except for..."

This conversation will be finished in Mandarin if I keep digging at this rate.

His eyes fell to the floor. At this point, he'd already hung himself. In for the penny, in for the pound.

"Except for you."
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

[+] V7 Characters
Sansa

Post by Sansa »

Bella's grip on her drink tightened as Garrett spoke, his words reverberating in her mind. He wasn't...confessing, was he? That was likely just wishful thinking on her part, but all the same...what else could he be doing? It wasn't like he was coming out or confessing to a murder. Clarification was needed.

"Garrett...Garrett," she said, trying to steady her breath. She dropped her head, meeting her eyes with Garrett's own lowered ones. Eye contact was necessary when talking about important things. Debating had taught her that much. And this...seemed to be very important.

"You don't mean what I think you do, do you? You don't..." Here it came, here it was. If she was wrong, if she'd read him the wrong way, then everything would come crashing down right at this very moment.

"Do you like me, Garrett?"

Steady. Pause. Keep talking. You've gone this far, why not throw everything in. The damage has been done in any case.

"Because, if that's so...then I, I guess I like you too."
Emprexx Plush

Post by Emprexx Plush »

Garrett had once been told that those unfortunate enough to be truly self-aware of their impending death could feel the final moments of its course stretch out for what felt like an eternity. He had dismissed it at the time as fanciful dramatic embellishment, but as the potential consequences of his last sentence began to loom in his psyche, he experienced a sudden appreciation for the concept doomed comprehension. Everything seemed to slow down around him as he awaited the inevitable fall-out.

Garrett...

A name. His name. Bella was calling him, softly. Her eyes came into his field of vision. He was having trouble looking into them. She must be repulsed. She tolerated him, after all, but how could someone who knew him so well hold him in anything but contempt?

"Do you like me, Garrett?"

And here it was. The rebuke. The horror, or perhaps even worse the disappointment. How could he have thrown something this wonderful away on such a stupid plan? It was just so insurmountably-

"Because, if that's so...then I, I guess I like you too."

...brilliant.

He was in shock for a moment. He didn't quite know what to say. He managed a small nod before stammering out, "That, that's a better way of putting it...I mean, that's what I mean, if that's what you mean-"

He cut himself off, pausing to collect his thoughts. He wanted to make this clear, and confident. "Bella, I'm crazy about you. And...if I'm hearing you right, that doesn't strike you as an entirely horrifying concept?"

He was self-deprecating to the end. It was an old habit that wouldn't go quietly.  There was one rare departure from form in his thoughts, though: As he awaited her response, he found himself silently delivering the closest thing to a prayer he'd ever conceived.

Please let me be right. Just this once. I'll miss every answer I'll ever come up with after this if I have to, but let me have this one.
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

[+] V7 Characters
Sansa

Post by Sansa »

"'Horrifying concept', you say? Oh, Garrett...nothing could be further from the truth!" Bella giggled again, with the slightest hint of anxiety piercing her laughter. She slowly lowered the cup onto the floor by her chair - she didn't want to risk spilling it on her dress - and returned her hands to her lap. After a few seconds though, she decided that they'd have a better use elsewhere, and clasped both of them around Garrett's own hands.

"Garrett...you're the sweetest person I've ever met. You're smart, you're funny, you're so beautiful, both inside and out. You understand me like no one else ever has. Garrett Wilde, I..."

She released Garrett's hands and took a deep breath. It wouldn't do to hyperventilate at this moment.

How. How was she going to say it? Bella'd never said it to anyone before, not...not like this. There was only one way to truly show how she felt about Garrett, with no room for doubt from either of them. And Bella knew what it was. She'd seen it enough times on television, read about it in enough novels.

Bella stood up and gently pulled Garrett towards her, placing her hand on the back of his head. She leant down, and pressed her lips against his. She'd never wanted anything more, and the chance was there to take it. So...why not?
Emprexx Plush

Post by Emprexx Plush »

Any analysis he could have given, or reply he could have managed, was thrust out of focus as she lent in towards him. He felt her hand in his hair, and then her lips against his. At first, he didn't know how to respond. The sheer improbability of the situation was paralyzing.

Remember the plan? Follow her lead.

It hadn't failed him so far. He pressed back against her, wrapping his arms back around her shoulders. As they kissed, the tension between them eased away. After a few moments, their lips broke away, but he continued to hold her in his arms, smiling and resting his forehead against hers.

"You're so wonderful, Bella. Absolutely, beautifully wonderful."
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

[+] V7 Characters
Sansa

Post by Sansa »

Kissing felt...different than Bella had expected. It was by no means bad, but was just a little different than Bella had always imagined. Her breath came out in short bursts, his heart racing in excitement and elation. She'd wanted it to be perfect, and it had.

She broke into a smile Garrett held his forehead against hers, looking into the eyes of this boy, this wonderful boy whom she loved so very much. The days of tears and anxieties would be gone from now on, she told herself. They'd wanted to go since we first met. But there was always that possibility that he'd leave, that I wouldn't have Garrett by my side...but not anymore. Garrett and I will be together forever.

"You too, Garrett," she ran her words out in a single breath, mind and heart and mouth racing in unison. "Garrett...forget what I said about 'liking' you. I love you, Garrett Wilde. I love you more than anything, ever. You're perfect, and for me to be in your arms is the greatest gift I could ever receive."

She grinned, and kissed Garrett again. He was just as she described. She'd given him the raw truth of the matter, and nothing was going to change that.
Emprexx Plush

Post by Emprexx Plush »

He heard the words pour out of her freely, her melodic voice tinged with an undeniable sincerity that warmed his heart. He ran a hand through her soft hair as she pulled him in for another kiss, lost in the joy of the moment. As they parted once more, he leaned in and whispered in her ear.

"I love you, Bella Strong. Meeting you is the best thing that ever happened to me. I don't ever want to let you go."

He kissed her neck gently before moving back to look into her eyes. "This night has been so perfect, Bella, and I feel like it can only get better." He chuckled as he pulled a hand around to her cheek, brushing against it lightly. "I know you're probably getting tired of hearing me say it, but you're so beautiful. Not just tonight, but always. Especially your eyes. Did I ever tell you they were the first thing I really noticed about you? There was so much pain in them back then, but beyond it they were so full of kindness, and curiosity, and even love. I didn't know I'd be lucky enough to experience that love, but it was there."

He kissed her briefly and smiled. "I've been told that eyes are the windows to the soul. If that's true, then your soul is as beautiful as the rest of you."
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

[+] V7 Characters
Sansa

Post by Sansa »

Bella sighed as Garrett ran a hand through her mass of curls and brushed the other against her cheek. They were in such close proximity with each other now. Not that she'd ever felt uncomfortable touching him, giving him hugs and clasping his hands, but this...this was different. Her hand gripped  the nape of his neck as he spoke his words, his words of valour and compliment. Garrett was so different compared to everybody else she'd ever met. Maybe this was why she'd never pursued a crush. Because deep down in her heart she knew that none of them were the right one.

She'd been lost, and with Garrett, she was found.

She grinned once more as Garrett finished speaking and seated herself again, pulling away from his embrace. She'd been caught up in the emotion of the moment, but now, the realisation that there were other people in the immediate vicinity made her catch herself, and regain composure. She was reluctant to, though, and would've given anything to stay in Garrett's arms for all of time.

"Well." She made sure to structure her next sentence with calculation and precision. "I guess this changes everything, doesn't it?"
Emprexx Plush

Post by Emprexx Plush »

Garrett frowned slightly as she pulled away, afraid that he'd said something wrong. Then he followed her gaze and remembered where they were, immediately feeling a rare blush creep into his face.

Oh. Other people. Those exist. I'd forgotten that detail.

There were a few odd glances being thrown their way, gossiping girls pointing and whispering, and a mixture of smiles and stern disapproval from the faculty. Overall though, it was hardly the strangest thing anyone had seen at Prom, and a romantic couple was most likely a welcome break from any drunken shenanigans that might occur.

He furrowed his brow thoughtfully as he considered her last statement, then shrugged. "I don't know. Things are different now, but I don't know exactly how, if that makes any sense. I mean, You've been the person that I trust and care for more than anyone else for almost as long as I've known you. That hasn't changed, really. It's truer now than it's ever been, but at the same time it feels...different. I'm not explaining this very well, am I?"

He glanced back at the party around them, then back to her. "I suppose it's up to you. After all, this is your night, love. Where do we go from here to make sure the ball is fit for its queen?"
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

[+] V7 Characters

Return to “Prom”