Millennium Approaching

Claire and Jack's Pre-Prom Escapades

Here is where any preparations, last second date-seeking, or other stuff of that sort can take place. This forum covers events directly related to Prom from two days before the dance until the start of the dance itself.
Laurels

Millennium Approaching

Post by Laurels »

Two days before Prom, Claire Monaghan looked over everything she had gathered for Prom. It had taken many cups of coffee to ensure she could endure the hours she and her mother spent shopping for clothes, jewelry, hair products, shoes, and everything else that could possibly matter for Prom.

Mrs. Monaghan was super excited for Prom. It had been years since Claire's older sister attended a Prom, and so her mother stewed for six years for when she could help Claire prepare for the evening. It was from all of this that Claire realized her mother was worried about Claire's femininity. She never went on a date throughout high school, and she tended to relate more to her brother than her sister in terms of high school lifestyle. While Emma went on dates and attended parties, Mason spent his nights in front of a computer or reading a book.

Claire decided to let her mother have this fun period. She knew Jessica would have to deal with this three years from now, so she might as well try to ease the way for her little sister. She went on all the shopping trips, tried all the makeup samples, looked at various hairstyles online, and put up with her mother's questions about everything.

When Mrs. Monaghan learned that Claire had a date with Jack McDonald, she became a lot more interested in their relationship. Claire had to tell her mother that they were just friends, denying every accusation that something would come from it. Of course, Claire really did hope something would emerge from this, but there was no way in Hell she would tell her mother that.

But, everything was ready for Prom. Claire was able to get her mother to accept her dress choice and styling decisions, and her mother was able to convince Claire to wear makeup and leave her glasses behind that night. Claire still needed to finalize a few things about Prom before it happened. She quickly pulled out her phone and opened Jack's contact listing.

HEY JACK, WHAT EXACTLY ARE WE DOING SATURDAY? MOM WON'T LEAVE ME ALONE.

She picked up the picture she printed to use as her hair style idea. She was sure Jessica could style her hair like this. She needed to look like a queen for Jack. Or rather, a khaleesi.
Flare

Post by Flare »

Jack tapped lightly on the sides of his laptop, getting the rhythm just right to the song he was listening to. Days Go By from The Offspring was the specific song, and it happened to have been stuck in Jack's head for two days. He didn't mind, though.

"Those daaays go by, and we aaaall start again..." Jack mouthed to himself as he scrolled down his Twitter feed, looking for anything interesting. It was just an ordinary night, which for him meant doing just about nothing.

Just as the song hit the final verse, however, Jack's rhythm was thrown off by something vibrating in his pocket. It took a second to realize that he had never actually taken his phone out to charge. Performing a mental eye roll at himself, he reached in and pulled it out, wondering what the notification could be.

Hopefully that guy got back to me on Hanging With Friends, wonder if he actually managed to guess the word qophs... oh, hey, a text. That's... I actually don't get many texts, thinking about it.

Shrugging to himself, he slid his finger across the phone, unlocking it and allowing him access. And hey, the text was from Claire. She wanted to know about prom.

Ah yes, prom. Growing up on Disney Channel sitcoms, Jack had heard a lot about prom. It was always treated like this big, life-changing event upon which the entirety of high school life revolved around, and the weeks leading up to the event certainly weren't disproving that. In fact, in the last five days, Jack could have sworn he heard at least three proposals just walking down the hallways.

However, in a surprise to pretty much everyone including him, he wasn't going alone. Well, OK, it wasn't exactly a DATE, per se, but he was going with a girl. He and Claire had made last minute plans to go as friends, which was good enough for Jack. The main point was to have fun, and Claire was one of the best people to do that with.

DIDN'T REALLY THINK ABOUT THAT. I DON'T LIVE THAT CLOSE TO SCHOOL, SO I THINK WALKING'S OUT.

Jack put the phone down on the desk next to him, turning his attention back to the screen in front of him.

What? 12 Twitter updates already?!
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Claire began to hang her dress in her closet when she heard her phone buzz. She walked over to the phone and picked it up. She then read Jack's message.

"Huh."

Wait, did he only assume I was curious about driving? Weird. Well, I better make things a bit clearer."

Claire began to type a message on her phone.

OKAY, SO AM I DRIVING TO GET YOU OR ARE YOU DRIVING TO GET ME? DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS FOR DINNER?

Claire set the phone down and got on her computer. If she was going to wait for Jack's response, she might as well do something fun while doing so. Suddenly, it came to her.

Korra! Gotta see that Equalist attack again. Fuck yeah!

Claire opened a video on Nickelodeon's webpage and began to watch a video. She completely forgot that she was supposed to be putting away her prom supplies.
Flare

Post by Flare »

If I'm just going to sit here cycling between different sites, why don't I just get up and-

Jack's thought was cut off by the sounds of a return text. Well, at least he was glad that Claire replied back quickly. He bit his lip, leaning his head up to look at the ceiling and think about the question.

Ah, man, she'll think I'm one of those guys who can't do anything on his own... ugh...

He dropped his head back down towards the phone, touching it and revealing the keyboard on the screen.

YOU MIND DRIVING? AS FOR DINNER, I DON'T REALLY CARE WHERE WE GO.

He thought to himself about the different possible responses he could get. Would she go high class or casual? He kind of hoped it would be casual, mainly because he tended to be picky with fancy food.

Just close the computer. Do something else.

Jack sighed, holding down the power button and shutting down his computer. Some XBox would feel good about now.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Man, I never thought this could get that dark. How could a children's animated program feature a terrorist attack? This kicks ass.

Claire saw her phone buzz. She picked it up and read the message from Jack. He was cool with her driving, and for going anywhere to eat. Claire smirked and rolled her eyes.

Well, I thought the guy would drive. Then again, we still have to meet for pics. Okay, dinner.........oh!

Claire began to type.

WANNA JUST GO TO AROUND THE CLOCK? I'D REALLY JUST RATHER A GOOD BURGER AND A MILKSHAKE BEFORE PROM THAN ANYTHING RIDICULOUS.

Claire sent the message. She was about to go back to watching Korra when she had another idea.

WE STILL NEED A PLACE FOR PICS. WANT TO JUST MEET AT MY PLACE, THEN WE GO GET DINNER?

Man, we should have thought this through more.
Flare

Post by Flare »

Two hours later, Jack walked back into his room, his mind wandering off a bit as he sat down in front of his laptop again.

Freaking Geth... I'm pretty sure they made it physically impossible to beat that level.

He absentmindedly picked up his phone, turning it on to see if anything was new. Sitting there, staring at his face, was a text from Claire. From over an hour ago.

Crud. She's probably really annoyed with me. I'd be.

He did breathe a sigh of relief though. Burger places were right up his alley. Jack frantically tapped away in response, ignoring any spelling mistakes he might have made.

SOUNDS GREAT TO ME. ANY PLANS FOR AFTERWARDS?

He tapped the send button, placing the phone down before getting up from his chair and pacing around the room. It was a nervous habit of his, especially when he was anxious and deep in thought.

Why am I making HER do all the thinking? Ugh...

The next minute he spent walking in a circle didn't really give him an answer.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

A few hours later, Claire had watched more Korra episodes, browsed Tumblr and 4chan, and wrote several pages for her new screenplay, Corral. As she began to search actor images to match up with the characters in Corral, her phone buzzed. She picked it up and saw the text message from Jack.

Oh yeah, we were discussing Prom.

Jack was curious about post-prom activities. Claire quickly typed a message back.

SOME FRIENDS OF MINE WERE SUPPOSED TO BE DOING AN AFTER PROM PARTY. STILL NEED TO FIGURE OUT IF THAT IS STILL A THING OR NOT.

She sent the message and turned back to her computer. She had just done a Google image search for actress Emilia Clarke.

Yeah, she's kind of what Helen would look like. Can't wait to look like her on Saturday.
Flare

Post by Flare »

Jack flopped down onto his head, staring at the ceiling. He hated being in this "thinking-but-not-really-thinking-of-anything" state, but it was so hard to get out of.

Another beep.

He slowly stood up, lazily dragging himself back over to his desk. Even just the five seconds spent laying on his bed had made him tired. The text woke him up a little, however.

A party? Well... wow. Never thought I'd end up at an after prom party.

COOL. WHO'S GOING?

As he set the phone down an waited for a response, he thought of the possible answers.

Does she know Lars? No, he's not really like her...
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Okay, Emilia Clarke as Helen, Forest Whitaker as Charlie, and Susan Sarandon as Rhoda. Yeah, those are good representations. So, who would be Eli and Donna? Hmm........... oh! Jack!

Claire noticed her phone buzzing. She quickly flipped it open and saw the message. She quickly texted back.

I FIGURE IT WOULD INCLUDE PEEPS LIKE ALEX, SEAN, OSWALDO, COREY, FOLKS LIKE THAT. DETAILS ARE STILL HAZY, BUT WE CAN AT LEAST DISCUSS IT AT PROM. I'M TIRED, SO WE'LL TALK LATER. GOODNIGHT!

Claire closed the phone and leaned back in her chair. She removed her glasses and rubbed her eyes. She forgot how late it was, and needed to try and sleep.

Man, who'd have thought that prom would have this much to consider?

Return to “Before Prom”