Layabout

Open

The overpass is a decently sized paved bridge running over a large sewage tunnel that has since dried out considerably, with only a small amount of water trickling down the middle and out of the drain pipes on the side. The tunnel itself is very large and covered in graffiti and spans a good deal of the south portion of town, letting out near the entrance to the northern area. Only accessible by traversing down a fenced off grassy slope, it offers a relatively safe place for someone to hide—if they can stomach the smell.
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

((Michael Mitchellson: Continued from I Am a Hero))

He'd left his bag back at the mall, back with Maddie and Chris. The hunger pangs in Michael's stomach were making him regret that, greatly. Still, he couldn't turn back, due to both deep, philosophical reasons, and the lack of desire to come face to face with those fucking liars again. So, Michael pressed on, carrying nothing but his shotgun, finally given purpose. Its bullets had been left behind, as well, but Michael had more than enough to do what was needed. His hat was still firmly on his head. Some things never changed. Michael no longer gave a shit about style, but it was still a welcome presence. Sort of like a comfort blanket, his last remaining reminder of home.

Michael had done little but wander since leaving the mall. With no clues to Hansel's whereabouts, he had aimlessly searched some of the nearby houses, to little avail. As the sun began to set, Michael started making his way to the south part of town, both to find shelter and for a lack of anywhere in particular to be heading. There were three figures in the distance, on a slope by the overpass. After a moment's thought, he warily started to approach them. They likely wouldn't be anyone he knew, but if he was lucky, one of them may have an idea towards Hansel's whereabouts.

As he drew closer, Michael began to vaguely recognize their faces, though they meant little to him. First was that chick from the funeral parlor, Ami. She had a pistol in her hand, but it wasn't pointed at anyone in particular, so Michael filed it under "might fuck my day up, but not a guarantee." The other two were the magician girl, Leona, and some dude who Michael vaguely recognized from the hours he spent in the school library. Joe.

None of them meant much to him, besides possibly having shared a few conversations through Daniel. That didn't matter. Michael hadn't come to talk. He cautiously waved at them, making sure his shotgun was pointed towards the ground. When he was not met with a bullet to the skull, he paused, leaned on his gun, and wrote a quick note. Do any of you know where Hansel Williams is? He handed the note to Joe, the closest to him.
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

Joe's disgusted attitude softened once he heard Ami's reason for it. A mercy kill. That was different. That was one of the few reasons he could accept. He thought of Jason, bleeding from the stomach. Given the choice of leaving him to a slow, agonizing death or finishing what he'd started...

Joe regretted killing Jason. He didn't regret making it fast.

"...Fair enough. I... I did... would have done the same."

It took him a moment to open his bottle, holding it wedged between his knees as he unscrewed the lid.

"No alternatives. I've got plans. They're locked in. No changing." Joe drank. It was warm and sickly, but it was an improvement from nothing at all. He swished it around in his mouth briefly, trying to rid himself of that weird, sandy feeling.

Once he was done, he eyed the magician girl with mild suspicion. First she has no plans, then she's suddenly eager to help him, and then she wants to get back to what she was doing. She was flip-flopping. "So, you're just going to get back to the urgent business of wandering? There's not many places left to go." And yet I still can't find Travis.

Another boy approached. Joe recognised him from the library. Michael. Though admittedly they'd never spoken, either through notes or otherwise. Joe recalled that he was deaf. He was surprised that he'd lived so long on the island with that. How had he avoided danger zones? Must have had partners at some point.

Michael handed him a note. He was looking for Hansel. Joe slowly retrieved the pen he'd used on his post-its from his bag and, resting the note on his leg, started scrawling out a message. It was slow work. His good arm was still pretty wobbly at the moment. He had to be slow to make it legible.

"Saw Hansel yesterday. Top floor, shopping center. Had several guns. Shouldn't approach. Have you seen Travis Webster?"

Perhaps he should have written something more discouraging. No-one would be looking for Hansel for a benign reason this late in the game. And he was sure he hadn't heard this guy on the announcement... either he'd die horribly at Hansel's hand or become a fresh murderer. Both bad.

But it wasn't his business.

He turned the note around so the two girls could see Michael's question, in case they had anything
Outfoxd

Post by Outfoxd »

Leona's companions seemed, though well equipped with plenty of purpose, wanting for spectacle. For flash. To say the least, they weren't the most impressive of specimens she had shared a stage with. She was certain none of their implements would come her way at this point. Exiting seemed to be the best choice when a third came up to join their parley, stocked with an imposing gun and only a note.

Leona watched with interest as Joe read Michael's note, intrigued. He turned it around, and it wasn't long before she made the connection with her encounter back at the housing development. She'd heard the name Hansel, remembered him as the kid who dressed like an extra in Stagecoach. He'd been the one to force the bit of improvisation.

"Believe I saw him a while back, hovering around little suburbia. Not the friendliest, if I remember correctly." His name had come up on the announcements a few times, she remembered. Leona flicked her gaze down to Michael's weapon.

"You appear to be equipped to handle him."
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

Joe said he would have done the same. Ami recognized the change in his voice and it... hurt. It hurt so bad it nearly made her wince. Unable to look the boy in the eye, Ami turned her head, off into the distance. She was distant for a time.

"He was a good boy," Ami said, distant. "I... He was just a good boy."

In that moment, Ami wanted to spill everything. About her regrets about Sara. About Joachim and how she felt nothing about killing him. Then she turned her head and noticed Michael Mitchellson.

She watched him with vague curiosity, partly because of the shotgun but mostly because of the note. She wasn't sure why Michael was writing. Why couldn't he...

... Oh. Michael was deaf. Right. She forgot for a second. Hah.

They never spoke back in school. Daniel always did the talking. Daniel was dead. Michael was alive. He was also nice, or at least that was her impression of him, back home. Yet again, that was then, and he was no friend of hers. But out of everyone there, Michael's name was the only one Ami did not hear on the announcements. He did not kill, despite the fact that he had a shotgun. That meant something. So, no, for once she did not think of him in terms of how best to kill him. Instead she gave him a wave, sheepish in every sense of the word.

... Christ, what was Leona even talking about? Ami had no clue. Something about suburbia and how 'you' - Michael, she figured - was 'well-equipped'. Whatever. Michael couldn't even understand what she was saying anyway. Unless if he could read lips, but could he even see what she was saying at this time at night?

Ami turned her attention to the note. Joe turned it so she could read it. Her eyes squinted. It was a bit hard to see in the dark but it did not take long for her eyes to adjust.

She snatched the note the second she saw Hansel's name.

She did not remember that Hansel was the one who killed Daniel but she could still help. Ami dropped her bags. She unzipped the bag marked G072. Only a notebook with several scattered pages, scattered without rhyme or reason. It was too dark to see but quite a few were covered from top to bottom, haphazardly scribbled but not illegible. Finally settling on a crumbled page near the bottom, she pulled out one of her pencils and started writing.

"Hansel is not the one you want."

She went on to write about Mallory. Not about the person but the corpse. She was shot in the leg then carried to the hospital.

She wrote about Garrett too. About the person and not the corpse. She talked about how she was with him when he died. Andi Victorino killed Garrett just as he was about to kill Hansel. She shot at Ami, too, and that gun must be part of the pile Joe caught sight of.

She concluded he was probably protecting Andi Victorino, because Ami had heard her name only once but Hansel's many, many times.

Then she finished with the fact that, if Michael wanted to kill Andi, he'd probably have to go through Hansel anyway so it was just as well.

It was... a lot. More than Michael probably needed to know. The handwriting was not elegant, either. But Ami had plenty to share, and she thought it could help. It had to happen. It just had to.

She also wanted to add the fact that Andi had a kid. She quickly erased it. Didn't matter. Andi killed someone, that mattered. She ripped the page from her notebook out. She stood up, turning her attention back to Joe she was handing both notes back to Michael.

"I haven't seen Travis, by the way." Ami said. She wasn't sure what else to add. So she posed a question of her own, turning her head to look at Leona. Curiosity. "Have either of you seen Katarina? I think she goes by KK, I'm not sure."
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

The three seemed to be having a conversation among themselves after Joe had written something down and shown in to the others, hopefully not one about the merits of shooting Michael and taking his stuff. He couldn't exactly do anything about it except impatiently tap his foot and keep a steady grip on his shotgun in case of any trouble. Shit, that'd be the worst, getting gunned down by some random asshole before even getting a clue about Hansel's whereabouts.

Leona seemed to talk directly at Michael for some asinine reason. Michael ignored her. Someone dumb enough to talk to a deaf dude probably didn't have anything interesting to say. Ami, though, Ami was interesting. Mostly because she seemed to be scribbling down a freaking novel on a piece of notepaper. Did she really have that much to say about Hansel?

The answer was no, unsurprisingly enough. Joe's message was simple, if disappointingly useless, (shit, looks like Michael had just missed Hansel yet again) and Michael shook his head at the dude to answer his question. He'd seen neither hide nor massive drug stash of Travis during his time on the island. Ami's message, on the other hand...

Christ, Michael didn't know what the hell he was even looking at. Hansel wasn't the one he was looking for? Uh, false? Michael was pretty sure that he was the most informed as to who he wanted to fill with bullets. There were lots of words about Garrett and some chick called Mallory. Andi had apparently killed Garrett? That was pretty shitty news, and it made Michael regret even trying to "save" her in the first place, but it sure as hell wasn't a priority right now.

Look, I don't know what the hell you're talking about. I don't care about Andi, or Mallory, or whatever. Do you know where Hansel is, or not? Michael handed the note directly to Ami.
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

Joe frowned at the comment on equipment. If equipment was all it took... well, Joe wouldn't be standing there. Luck, stupidity, just being far to used to killing at this stage... there was a lot that counted.

He wondered why Ami had so much to say on Hansel. His eyes were a little unfocused, so he didn't have a chance to read the page of scribbles Ami passed Michael. It was only within his view for a couple of seconds.

"Katarina? She... I think it was her... was at the apartment buildings, uh..." Joe blinked heavily and tried to figure out how long it had been. An hour? Maybe less, maybe more? He'd lost track. How long had it taken him to bandage up. How long had they been here? "...Recently. But she ran." Joe absently touched the bandages on his bad arm. "She doesn't have a gun. She was fighting with a sword. Rapier and this other little... dagger thing.

"Lots of people looking for murderers. ...I guess most of us left are killers, though... one way or another."

Joe retrieved some blank post-its, since Ami currently had the paper again. He didn't have many left, after shredding the ones with names that morning. In small letters, and slowly, he wrote another message.

Since you couldn't have heard, everywhere but-- Joe listed the five areas of the map that had not been declared off-limits --will trigger your collar. Obviously Hansel will have to be at one of those places. Felt wrong to just let the guy wander into a danger zone. Joe paused then added, Are you planning to kill him?

He immediately crossed out that question, though not well enough that it wasn't still visible. It wasn't his business. But he was wondering. And he was wondering why Ami wanted to chase Katarina. Why would anyone go chasing someone who'd killed more times than could be counted on one hand?

"Are you going to try and kill her?" he asked Ami flatly as he shoved his extra note at Michael. He couldn't cross the question out that time.
Outfoxd

Post by Outfoxd »

There wasn't a response from the new arrival, and it took Leona a moment to understand why. She supposed she brought it on herself, not knowing much about her classmates. Far as she was concerned, most of them were ghosts just slipping in and out of her life while she waited for her real time to come.

The deaf kid and Ami exchanged notes, and Joe took to answering Ami's question about Katarina. That particular bird hadn't flown across Leona's path, though she was sure the announcements stated her name numerous times.

Leona didn't worry about the notes. Anyone that couldn't hear her talk probably wasn't that interesting. But the apparent missions that the other two were going on, those WERE interesting. At least enough to not go wandering off just yet.

"Never seen Katarina either." She said, but really she was waiting for Ami's reply to Joe.
Ciel†

Post by Ciel† »

"I don't know."

Ami closed her mouth, opened it again.

"I don't know. You're right. I mean, most of us are killers. I can't deny that. But that doesn't mean we're monsters."

She shifted her weight, bad leg to good leg. She sighed. Christ. Ami always tried to keep her words brief, but these words, the ones that brewed from Joe's question, started flowing out before she could stop herself.

"I met Joachim Lovelace earlier. He killed Paris. You know, Ardennes? Joachim told me that Paris expected him to kill. He was being vague but it was like... he felt obligated to to do it? Maybe Paris promised him the world and it was all one big lie. I don't know. I can't answer that. But once Paris was dead, it was like he had nothing left..."

The voices were not voices, but Joachim's was different. he said, The game, he told her, was all about the results. You won. Pick it up. You won. Do it.

"I could argue that that doesn't make what he did right. But at least Joachim had a reason. At least he understood what he was doing. At least he had something.

"Katarina is not Joachim.

"Katarina isn't obligated to kill, she's downright entitled to it. She's convinced herself that she's the hero, and everyone else? Everyone she's killed, and everyone who's still alive? They're the bad guys, they're the monsters.

"She told me it wasn't right. Not the deaths of a dozen people, but how easy it all was. She said that she hoped she'd get cut up so people would know how 'innocent' she was. Can you believe it? If she survives, she's going to go home, point to a cut on her lip and go 'hey, this is what they did to me!' It's disgusting."

Ami did not tell Joe about how she tried to kill herself. She also did not mention Mira. None of it seem relevant.

...She swiftly realized that she might have been the first person who survived a run-in with Katarina. Possibly the only one who survived a run-in with Katarina. She had Mira to thank, yeah, but Ami stared Katarina down and lived to tell about it.

Realizing that, Ami frowned, free hand brushing across the nape of her neck. Her head lolled, fingers pressing against a kink in her neck.

"...I could have stopped her, you know. I had her disarmed and everything. But she was crying and I just, I felt bad. So I thought, well, maybe if I take her weapons and show her mercy she might have a change of heart." She grimaced. "Now she's gone and killed Rosemary Michaels, and god knows who else. I've tried telling myself that it isn't my fault, that it would be silly to think otherwise. But I know, deep down, that it is my fault.

"She's not going to stop. She's not going to stop until somebody makes her stop. And I'm going to hell anyway, so it does not matter what happens to me..."

Ami blinked. Her frown grew.

"... Sorry. You asked me a question. The answer's yes."

A chill ran up her spine. That was it, then. No backing out. Ami broke too many promises to back out now.

At least Kat didn't have a gun. That gave Ami an advantage.

... Ami unfolded Michael's note. She looked at it, then she looked at Michael. Her face was ugly but her indignation started and ended there.

"I was at the school yard and the park earlier. He wasn't there. That was a few hours ago but I checked up and down and I did not see him. Is there anything else I can help with?"

Ami folded the note. She passed it back to Michael. Then Ami stared straight at Leona.

"Is that how you feel about Travis?" Ami asked, aimed at Joe. Then she paused. "Also, do any of you have a cigarette I could borrow?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Ciel. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

Oh, goody, another note was being thrust at him. Michael had kind of been hoping to slip away while Ami was reading his note, seeing as the others were obviously as clueless as he was. Well, couldn't be any harm in sticking around for a while longer. Shit, that had been poorly phrased. The chances of Michael being shot didn't seem likely to skyrocket in the near future. There, much better, and less fate-tempting.

Michael's irritation slowly faded away as he actually read the contents of the note. Hm. Joe had gone above and beyond the call of duty by listing the current safe zones. Dude certainly had no obligation to do that, hell, it'd be far more convenient for him if Michael unknowingly took the wrong turn somewhere and ending up with a nice big hole in his neck. For the past couple of days he'd been alone, Michael had been treading on eggshells any time he crossed over into another zone, so it was certainly a huge-ass weight off of his shoulders to know exactly where it was safe to go. Narrowed things down a ton, too. Only five areas that Hansel could be in.

The crossed-out question did not go unnoticed, and after a moment's hesitation, Michael decided to answer it. Joe had been level with him, he deserved some truth in return. Thank you for heads-up on danger zones. Michael wrote on the remaining section of the post-it. And yes. I am going to kill him. There it was, right there in writing. A statement of Michael's only remaining goal on the island. He handed it to Joe.

Ami looked like she was sending hate-daggers Michael's way as she passed him yet another note. Michael sighed internally as he took it, half-prepared for another rambling, pointless novella. Instead the message was refreshingly straightforward. Michael could appreciate that. Assuming that Ami was telling the truth, (and why the hell would she lie?) that narrowed down Hansel's whereabouts considerably more. Thanks for the information. That will be more than enough. He returned the note to Ami. For a moment, Michael considered asking Leona, but then dismissed the idea. She'd already proven to be less than cooperative. Probably kind of stupid, as well.
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

Joe hadn't anticipated the answer being that long, or involving Joachim and motivations and a lot of other stuff. Joe frowned, reaching up with his good arm to clasp the chain of Kyran's necklace for a moment. There was a lot of stuff that was familiar in there. Having a chance to kill and not taking it. If he'd turned the scythe around, he could have at least grievously wounded Katarina, if not killed her. Could've, would've, should've.

"Joachim killing because someone told him to is better than Katarina killing because she thinks she's in the right? ...Alright, then."

Joe didn't read the logic in that. But apart from 'self-defence' he hadn't heard a good reason for killing yet. The occasional reason he could emphasize with, but they were never good. Even his own reasons sucked.

"But in my experience... trying to make people stop doesn't work well. Just continues the cycle, doesn't it? Can't hunt a player without becoming one, even if you get it right."

If this had been yesterday, he might have agreed. Stop them the only way that sticks. It was familiar. But now it just sounded so flimsy. What did it matter? Almost everyone was dead now, anyway.

Joe looked down at Michael's newest message. Even the ones who weren't murderers yet were looking to change that. Joe looked at Michael and frowned a little. But he just nodded, folding up the post-it and sticking it back in his bag.

Wasn't his job to talk anyone out of it. He didn't know Michael's reasons. And talking didn't do anything here. Nothing did anything here.

Mouth feeling less sandpapery, Joe put the now-empty water bottle back in his bag, removing one of the bars and starting to eat his way through it. He was tired. Would a nap be so bad? Would he wake up if he tried?

"I guess I'm chasing Travis for similar reasons. But it won't do anything. Maybe I just need something to do. ...I don't have any cigarettes."

Joe would have given most anything for a joint right then, now that smokes were in the conversation. Dull the thinking for a bit. Pretend everything was fine.
Outfoxd

Post by Outfoxd »

((Sorry guys, gotta go get murked))

For a group of people who had already committed to playing the game to the extent of their abilities, this bunch appeared to be less interesting than she had first thought. All these tools, all these motives, and it was a damned shame. Where was the spectacle? The dramatics?

In any case, she wasn't helping any of them, and there was no way she could liberate a weapon from any of the three. Her luck was better pressed elsewhere.

Leona dipped her head, taking a miniscule bow.

"I wish you all luck in your respective endeavors, but I have my own business to attend to." A lie, but a harmless one.

She turned, looking for where her path might best be walked. Up the overpass, like she had originally intended, was looking the most salient path. Hopefully she was correct in assuming so.

"Perhaps we'll all meet again down the line." She said. She turned, and with a flourish of her overcoat and the click of her flats on the road, she was gone.

((Leona Van Kamp continued elsewhere))
Ciel†

Post by Ciel† »

Ami just stared at Joe. She stared but said nothing. She kept staring until she wrenched her head away, focusing on putting everything away. She took Michael's note and stared at that instead. Only then did she respond.

"Yeah."

Ami brushed her damp eyes with her clean sleeve.

"I guess you're right."

Leona was leaving. Ami made a face. She couldn't make heads or tails about Leona but Ami had a bad feeling. She was like a spectre for most of the conversation. It was creepy.

'Maybe she's just a weirdo', Ami Flynn, Graveyard Ami, the Ami that wore a cardigan to Disneyland, thought. 'Maybe she just doesn't know how to make friends.'

Ami Flynn, the realist, doubted that. Heavily. You do not stab someone in the neck, then start a conversation with a total stranger. That was the thing that bothered Ami the most. Leona didn't talk like Joe or Maynard or Joachim or Sean. She spoke as if nothing was wrong. That wasn't normal. It was sketch as hell, and Ami did not want to be anywhere near her.

She figured that Leona had plans for Joe, plans that did not include 'company'. What would she have done had Ami walked the other way? Ami did not know the answer to that. But she could sure as hell give an educated guess.

"Respective endeavors my ass."

She flipped Michael's note open, talking while writing.

"It's a good thing Michael came when he did. I don't think Leona was looking to be friends with us."

... Ami stopped writing.

"We aren't going to be friends either. I get the feeling that wasn't on the table anyway now but..."

Ami paused, almost forgetting why she even started talking to begin with. She didn't look

"You always seemed like a nice guy, Joe. I wish I got to know you better... I wish for a lot of things."

Ami frowned. She looked at Michael. He was deaf.... She added more to the note, folded it up and pushed the pencil in her pocket. Then she locked eyes with Joe.

"But that was then. And right now, my only plan is to find Katarina. After that's over? I don't know what I'm going to do. And I've made enough promises I can't keep. That's why we can't be friends."

Ami's voice was not cold. It was not heated. It was not in the least bit threatening. It was something else entirely, a mixing pot of complicated emotions and feelings that Ami could never put into words. Her tone was that of someone who took the road less traveled and found that it circled back to the beginning.

She could not tell if Joe saw the abstraction in her words. Ami could only see the dotted outline of said abstraction. Hell, she didn't even know why she was still talking. Her head did not know what her body was doing.

She zipped up the bag and got everything together.

"I hope you find Travis. And I hope you do what you think is right."

Ami passed Michael the note as she left.

"I don't know why you're looking for Hansel but I hope you kill him. He's hurt a lot of people. But he's not the only one. Be careful."

Ami walked in the opposite direction as Leona. Just to be safe.

(Ami Flynn continued in Awaiting fate.)
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Ciel. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

More useless conversation passed Michael by. Leona left without breaking her perfect streak of unhelpful behavior. Good riddance. Ami soon made her exit as well, though not before handing off one last note to Michael. He frowned slightly as he read it. Good vibes? Bad vibes? Good luck to do a bad thing? Hell, Michael didn't know anymore, and he wasn't in any frame of mind to waste time debating semantics when the bastard who killed Daniel and a bunch of other people walked free.

Michael would never be a hero, but the least he could do was act as the firing squad.

He prepared to follow the example of the others and leave, but hesitated after he took a few steps away from Joe. Night was falling, again, and Michael didn't have a clue where he'd stay. Sure, he could prowl through the night to try and catch Hansel unaware, but that seemed like a hella great way to get blasted by any random, trigger-happy assholes he stumbled across. In any case, killing Hansel in his sleep was not an option. Even the most heinous killers deserved to look into the eyes of the man who was gonna shoot them.

Michael scribbled another note. Hey, Joe. It's getting kind of late, and you seem like a pretty decent dude, so I've got an offer. Neither of us have got a group or anything, so how's about we team up, at least for the night? Just, like, taking turns at watch and shit? I doubt you wanna get backstabbed in your sleep any more than I do. We don't screw each other over, and we can go our separate ways in the morning.

Joe was okay with it, so Michael took first watch.

-

Another sunrise Michael had lived to see. Probably his last. He solemnly gazed at it for a while, before carefully shaking Joe awake. Announcement time was near, and it was nice to actually have a handy pair of honest ears around for once.
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

Joe didn't have much of a reply before the magician girl and Ami left. He knew the chances of seeing magician girl again at this stage were slim. Living through the night was pretty slim. And Ami was right. There was no chance of friends at this stage. Making friends so late was just asking for something horrible to happen. Although Ami was clearly off her rocker if she thought a three-time killer seemed 'like a nice guy.'

Joe just snorted at the last words Ami said. After she'd left, probably when she was long out of earshot, he muttered, "What right thing?"

It was getting dark. Michael wanted to stick by him for the night. Previous days, Joe would have probably tried to leave. Because people who hadn't murdered shouldn't get caught up with him. People who followed him hadn't turned out well. He thought of Aileen, of her letting him through the barricade. Him and Travis. Joe had brought her killer right to her door, and she'd let him in because Travis was with him.

But who cared now? Michael was going to attempt murder anyway. And what chance did a deaf guy stand? (What chance did a wimpy nerd afraid of blood stand?) Could Joe really mess up this situation any more? So Joe agreed. He nodded. He halfheartedly gnawed some food. Considered leaving a note for Michael that warned that Joe might die from blood loss during the night. He didn't. He was sure Michael would notice if it happened.

Instead, he fell asleep. A deeper sleep than he'd had since waking up on the island. He didn't dream at all.

-

He did wake up the next day. It didn't feel like he'd rested, despite how deep that sleep had been. It felt like waking had been difficult. He was meant to wake up for his watch, but he hadn't. Or maybe he had, and just couldn't recall it.

No speaking happened. No writing messages. Just waiting for the announcements. Joe found scraps of post-its and bits of paper from Michael. Enough to write down anyone who was dead and who killed them. He didn't know who to listen for besides Hansel. He wondered if Michael had any friends left.

The announcements played, heralded by the too-familiar crackle of the speakers. But it was different today, because Danya told them there were just over twenty of them left.

Joe jotted down names, and an arrow pointing to who they killed as fast as he could. And the first three murders meant nothing, but the fourth.

Marcus.

Joe just kept writing down names. Marcus Leung. Hansel Williams killed Marcus Leung.

Katarina killed Deanna. Deanna was the girl from yesterday. It had to be her. Ami was telling the truth about Maynard. But she'd killed Joachim, too. More Hansel murders. Another Katarina one. Travis had killed Owen. He'd killed Aileen and now he's killed Owen, too. Miles, the guy who'd murdered Chuck through a stupid, stupid accident, who Joe had kicked in the stab wound... dead.

So many names. Joe wrote down them all, even the ones he didn't know, even the ones that wandered into danger zones or who had died since they killed.

Marcus was dead. They were all dead. The only ones who weren't were the ones that should be dead.

Where was the rage? He would have given anything for the rage that turned him away from that cliff the day Gabby died. The rage at Travis for becoming the fuck-up he was. The rage that let him kick Miles, murder Benjamin. Rage had kept him going, until it just became too tiring to hate. Until it became obligation instead.

Even the grief would have been something. Because Marcus was all he had. He'd wanted Marcus to leave, even if he'd killed. He wanted to know why he had murdered. But no matter the reason, Joe could never have wanted Marcus dead. But he was dead. Joe should have been sad.

He wasn't. He was just numb.

Joe stared at the list for a while. He was pale. But that was just blood loss, probably. He was staring right through the page.

Home stretch. Home stretch, Danya said. That meant Joe died today no matter what happened. He had to find Travis today. But he had no lead on Travis. He had a lead on Hansel. Hansel would be at the shopping center, picking up his reward for splattering himself with Marcus' blood.

He realised, after a while, that Michael was still waiting on the names. Joe was about to hand it over, but then he pulled back the note and added another paragraph.

The school buildings and shopping center are off-limits now, too. There's just over twenty kids left.

Hansel and Ami tied for Best Kill. Hansel will be heading for the shopping center. If we head there fast, wait outside the area, maybe we can ambush him. I'm going to help you. I'll leave if you want, but I'm heading there either way.

He had no lead on Travis. He might as well hunt Hansel down. Maybe he'd find Travis on the way. And then maybe he'd be done.
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

For the first time, Michael was given the full details of the announcements. Every corpse, every killer. Before, this would have likely been the cause of a hell of a lot of angst and rage, but now, Michael simply looked over the list. Accepted it. In a dark way, appreciated it, because it was another sign that Joe actually respected him enough as a human being to not leave important shit out. Not exactly the highest praise, but apparently it was rarer than you'd think.

Every loose end had been cleaned up, now. Any remaining trace of hope, any last hint of a different purpose. All dead and gone. Phoebe had gone and blew herself up. Miles, the wounded dude that Michael's old group had taken care of all those days ago, dead. Chris, his temporary ally, liar that he was, dead. Maynard, one of Daniel's buddies, dead. Hell, even Joachim, the first one to give enough of a shit to tell Michael the truth, dead. Tim's killer was revealed as well, but Michael felt nothing when he realized that she had been right under his nose just the previous day. Even if he had known, he wouldn't have acted on it.

Tim didn't deserve to be avenged.

There was, truly, only one thing left for Michael to do. Joe, continuing his streak of competence, even had a plan for that. Michael had no pride left to be wounded by the need to accept help. The results were what mattered. If Michael went down and Joe was the one who ultimately finished Hansel off, so be it.

Good idea. We should head out right away, then. I know you're not doing this for me, but thank you. He wrote.

Michael handed the note back to Joe, and they were soon off on their way.

((Michael Mitchellson: Continued in There are some things a man just can't run away from.

Return to “The Overpass”