Nervous Solitude

Dark, dank, and dreary, the caves snake across the island, leading deep down into the depths and surfacing in multiple locations. Some areas have been declared hazardous, while others are just downright scary. Forty years ago, the soldiers used to tell ghost stories about these caves, saying you could hear children crying if you ventured far enough into their depths. Of course, they'd always make good shelter, but you'd better not venture too far underground lest you never return.
Theseus†

Post by Theseus† »

Lenny pursued the sound of Raven running through the jungle, only to stumble upon different cave openings. This could mean multiple things. Raven either stumbled upon them by accident in his attempt to escape from Lenny and Elizabeth, and is hiding out, or Raven is setting up an ambush. Though, an escape would have been stupid for he left his pack back at the main cave system. If this was an ambush chances are it wasn't a particularly complex one.

Lenny brought his handgun up and picked one of the caves to enter. The one he entered was the one Raven was in, but Lenny was unaware of that. As he walked slowly in he started to call out.

"Raven. I don't know what you think your doing running away like that. It wouldn't be good if you were to get lost now would it? Who would protect you?"

Lenny smiled, hearing the echo of his voice reverberate throughout the cave.

As he looked around though, he didn't see Raven. So he left, and went on to the next entrance, which was hardly a cave, and probably wasn't connected to the main cave system that the map suggested ran underground all throughout the island. Lenny looked around, handgun still in hand, and called out again for Raven.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Theseus. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Muninn†

Post by Muninn† »

It wasn't until Lenny Priestly left the cave that Raven realized he'd been holding his breath. He quickly made his way to the cave mouth as he heard Lenny call out to him in the next cave over. Lenny wasn't looking at him.

He ran as fast as he could for the trees. Since Lenny hadn't known which cave he was in, he might assume that Raven hadn't stopped and had just kept on going. Maybe. It was far more likely that he would give up after losing the trail and head back to where Elizabeth was waiting.

How thoroughly would Lenny check the caves? Did he know the way back, or would he spend some extra time finding his way? Did Raven know the way back? All of the things that mattered at the moment were the things that determined how much time Raven would have before Lenny caught up to him. He ran when he could to buy himself more time. It would probably tire him out and made him risk slipping on the wet ground, but those were acceptable risks. Fifteen extra seconds could make the difference between success and death. He had to get back and warn Elizabeth not to trust her brother.

Warn her? he thought. What do you care? You're playing the game now. Since when do you care about what happens to other people, anyway?

He kept going until he was able to find the cave. He still didn't know where Lenny was, but he had to make use of whatever time he had. He walked into the cave and wasn't immediately able to see Elizabeth. Had she gone someplace else? Was it even the right place?

What was the right way to go about doing this?

"Elizabeth, are you here?" he called out to the empty cavern. "It's me, Raven. Whatever you do, don't trust Lenny."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Muninn. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Theseus†

Post by Theseus† »

Elizabeth saw Raven enter the cave and she shrunk back. Fear spread through her body. Had he killed her brother? Where was Lenny? What was going on? She was going to try to slink back even further into the cave system despite her fear of the darkness until she heard Raven call out her name.

Elizabeth, are you here?

Yeah she was here. Why was he looking for her? To kill her too?

Whatever you do, don't trust Lenny.

She felt a knot in her stomach. Don't trust Lenny? Her own brother? Her twin brother? Her flesh and blood? Was this boy crazy? She trusted Lenny with her life. He kept her alive. He saved her from Anna and Keiji. He got cut to protect her. Though, Lenny was becoming unstable. She knew it. She was sure Lenny knew it. One moment he was enjoying cutting Anna up, and the other moment he was swearing to Elizabeth that the violence would stop.

Then he was charging out of the jungle attacking mysterious figures and the next he was being nice to a girl Elizabeth took into the group.

Lenny was a mystery to Elizabeth, and not even she could tell his true intentions. Well, she knew his true intentions. It was to watch after her. To have her win. That's all he cared about.

Elizabeth thought about hiding, but it didn't matter, not if Raven had hurt her brother. Besides, she was intrigued by what the boy had to say. Emerging from the darkness she looked the boy over and said, "What did you do to my brother? Where is he? Why can't I trust him?

The whole time Lenny was still back at the multiple smaller mini caves, searching them for the runaway boy.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Theseus. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Muninn†

Post by Muninn† »

"Your brother is rather persistant for someone who's only interest is protecting you," Raven commented. "He's also rather neglectful, since I probably could've killed you by now if I wanted to be hostile, regardless of whether or not I have a weapon. You might want to be more careful when you decide who you're going to travel with in the future."

His pack was still sitting where he had left it, so he went over and picked it up. When he looked up, he saw Elizabeth standing there, looking at him with a mixture of anger, confusion, and interest... but mostly anger.

"Don't worry, I didn't kill him," he reassured her. "I just took him out for a little chase, that's all. He'll be back as soon as he figures out that the extent of me being 'up to something' was getting him out of here so I could warn you."

There it was again... did he really go through that much trouble for the sake of someone he just met? Sure, now it seemed like he just took an easy trip out and back, but he'd been extremely lucky. If Lenny had ever caught up to him, he probably wouldn't be around anymore. Why did he go to so much trouble when he could have just walked out with minimal problems and been far away from the two Priestly twins by now?

Was it like Lenny said? Was Raven too 'nice' to play the game? He should be taking the chance to eliminate the competition and pick up some weapons for himself. This would probably be the last time he would ever get such a good oportunity to put himself in the running. Why wasn't he jumping at the chance?

"Keep a weapon on you at all times," he instructed Elizabeth. "If you ever manage to get your hands on a second gun, that's great. If not, take whatever works. Don't rely on your brother to protect you, especially since it seems like he forgets his priorities when he gets excited. Be careful when you get left alone. If anybody joins your group and later they mysteriously disappear like I did, don't just sit around waiting for them to come back."

Most of his advice was probably redundant, but he figured it was better to be safe then to forget something important.

"One last thing," he said. "This is the most important thing I have to say to you. I have no doubt that Lenny will do whatever it takes and more to protect you. Just remember this: in the end, when it's just you and him left, it will only take one bullet to decide which one of you gets to go home... and I can guarantee you that when that time comes, Lenny will have a gun."

Raven couldn't think of anything else to say. He picked up his pack and started walking back toward the opening of the cave, mentally preparing himself to leave his safe cave and enter the world of the dense jungle and the torrential rain where people were killing each other to survive.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Muninn. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Theseus†

Post by Theseus† »

Elizabeth wasn't sure what to think of Raven's ideas. He was telling her that her brother would turn on her. That he didn't truly care about protecting her. Elizabeth stood in silence, not sure what to say. Her mind raced back over the last six days on the island. He had protect her. He had stuck close to her. Though...there were times. Times where his priorities were questionable.

Not Lenny. Not her brother. He wouldn't kill her in the end. It wouldn't end like that. He wasn't like that. Though the seeds of doubt were planted in Elizabeth's mind. She stood in silence thinking over the truths of the matter. Lenny kept a hold of the two best weapons. His gun and his hatchet. He had still killed two people. He said to protect her, but he had tortured Anna. Was Keiji really attacking them?

Elizabeth just looked at the boy as he gathered his stuff and started to walk towards the entrance of the cave. Just like that he was going to leave. He was just another encounter on the island. Just another boy. His and hers and Lenny's fates would forever be intertwined even if they never saw each other again. Just like Denise who spent the night traveling with the twins is forever apart of them though she went on her own.

When Lenny had found nothing the thought that Raven could have doubled back around to kill his sister finally struck a chord in his head. He rushed back to the main cave only to find Raven near the entrance. Standing in the rain Lenny aimed his gun at him. Behind Raven he saw Elizabeth standing farther back. She seemed ok.

Lenny looked at Raven and said calmly, "Where do you think you're going?"
Muninn†

Post by Muninn† »

As frightening as it was when Lenny had suddenly appeared at the last minute just when Raven had been about to get away safely, he had to admit to himself that it was a straight-up miracle that Raven had managed to delay him so far.

"I went out to check where I should go next," he lied. "I think I've found a new place that I think I can set myself up in, so I was just returning to get my bag." There wasn't a chance in hell that Lenny would believe it for a second, but it came much closer than anything else that he could think of. He'd toyed with the notion of speaking more casually, but decided against it at the last minute. Giving reasons that were clearly made up was one thing, but if he started lamenting about how he'd been worried that his good ol' buddy Lenny wasn't going to make it back in time to say goodbye, they would have known instantly that something was up.

"See, I told you he'd be back soon," he remarked to Elizabeth. Whatever happens, make sure that her mind stays on Lenny and the conversation you just had. The stupidest thing he could do right now is pull the trigger on that gun, because it will be one more thing to prove to Elizabeth that everything I said about him is true. Not that it will do me much good after the fact.

"I decided that I may as well go off on my own," he said, turning back to Lenny. "I'd rather be off on my own where I can hide when it's necessary, and you two would probably be much better off without me."

All right, he thought to himself. I went through the formalities of making myself look like an honest person, your sister is safe, will you let me go now? I'll have to be careful to make sure you haven't decided to come and finish me off, of course. For you, I might even go through the motions of heading toward those caves to make it look like I'm telling the truth.
Theseus†

Post by Theseus† »

Lenny looked past Raven and saw his sister. He tried to read her expression but saw nothing. What went on here?

Lenny listened to Raven's excuse about finding a place where he should go next and didn't buy it. There was a reason Raven led him on the chase and came back here. Why though? To talk to Elizabeth? Though why would he try to talk to her? Lenny looked at the boy. He wanted to go off on his own.

Lenny lowered his handgun and said, "If you really want to go out on your own, go for it. I'm not going to stop you. If I ever see you again, I don't expect you to be as friendly. So don't expect me to be as friendly."

Lenny used his free hand to form a gun and pretended to shoot it twice at Raven and mouthed pow pow

Lenny smiled and walked past Raven into the cave feeling the difference of being out of the rain though he felt the coldness of the cave. It was always cold in caves. Sometimes that was good, but when you were soaked to the bone, it wasn't always the greatest thing.

Elizabeth didn't walk towards Lenny or hug him or anything. She stood where she had been standing looking at Raven. She decided not to say anything to him. She wasn't sure if that was his lie or not. She couldn't decide if that was his way of playing the game. Breaking her up from Lenny.

Lenny approached her and said, "You ok Liz?"

Elizabeth only nodded, and continued to watch Raven.
Muninn†

Post by Muninn† »

Raven Lawrence walked away from the cave in which he had spent the last day as fast as he could. He had somehow come out of the encounter with no injuries, no lost equipment, and a clearer picture of what he would have to do in order to survive. On the other hand, it wasn't like he got anything out of the situation either.

Part of him wanted to hang around still. Sooner or later, maybe in the next fifteen minutes or maybe two days from now, something would happen between the Priestly siblings. If he was nearby, he could take advantage of the confusion, grab a weapon for himself, and be able to play the game for real, not just hiding in caves and sending people on snipe hunts. He wanted to get something better than the fork he still carried in his pocket. He wanted to satisfy his curiosity about whether or not the twins would stay together or not. He wanted to make sure that Elizabeth survived.

Unfortunately, reality took precedence. It was raining and Raven had to find shelter. Each time he encountered Lenny, it seemed like the male Priestly was one step closer to pulling the trigger. He needed to get away.

He pulled the map out of his pack and started looking for a good place to go. The quarry, maybe, or the lagoon. He was inclined to head to the quarry because it seemed like it would be easier to hide there, but his last attempt at hiding wasn't necessarily the shining example of how not to get caught up in a mess. The lagoon might have been a better choice... except Raven really wanted to find some shelter to get out of the rain. Oh well, he would just have to decide en route...

( Continued in Playing MacGyver )
Theseus†

Post by Theseus† »

Raven left.

Just like that, he was gone and Lenny and Elizabeth stood alone in the cave. What to do....

Elizabeth wanted to leave now. She didn't feel right being here. Maybe being on the move was the best bet.

Lenny only said, "What do you want to do now?"

Elizabeth thought for a moment then said, "Let's go. Come on there's nothing here for us anymore."

"Are you sure? It's safe here. We can hide out and wait."

"I'm sure Len. I don't want to be in the darkness anymore."

Lenny grabbed his pack and said, "Alright. Your call."

With that, the Priestly twins left the cave and went into the rain once more.

((Lenny and Elizabeth continued at The Taste of Blood))

Return to “The Caves”