Nervous Solitude

Dark, dank, and dreary, the caves snake across the island, leading deep down into the depths and surfacing in multiple locations. Some areas have been declared hazardous, while others are just downright scary. Forty years ago, the soldiers used to tell ghost stories about these caves, saying you could hear children crying if you ventured far enough into their depths. Of course, they'd always make good shelter, but you'd better not venture too far underground lest you never return.
Muninn†

Nervous Solitude

Post by Muninn† »

The luckiest thing that had happened to Raven Lawrence so far was finding the caves. For five days he had managed to hide out in solitude as his classmates slaughtered each other elsewhere. For the entire game (other than the day after the third announcement, when he'd been forced to scramble away in a hurry to avoid having his neck blown apart by the coller) he'd been able to sit tight and wait things out. The problem, unfortuneately, wouldn't go away with time.

As always, he kept his weapon in his right pocket, ready to defend himself at a moments notice. It wasn't very hard to conceal, what with it being a fork and all. A fork. The brief consideration about what he would do when the game started went straight out of his head after opening his pack: how the hell does one win with a fork? Had anybody in the entire history of mankind ever succeeded in killing somebody with a fork? Joining with someone else was out of the question as well. Nobody would trust him, for starters. For that matter, Raven wasn't sure that he could trust them. He didn't know any of his classmates well enough to tell if they were trustworthy or not. He wasn't even sure if he wanted to win. He somehow makes a series of impossible kills, goes home, and...what? Was it even possible to 'win' the game? Had anybody ever returned to their life after killing their friends?
The best outcome would be if the game were to last forever. Status quo for the rest of eternity. It had described his life before the game perfectly, it applied directly to what he'd been doing in the game so far.

Unfortunately, Raven knew that his luck would not last much longer. He was running out of food. Ironic, huh? The one use I can think of for this fork, and I can't even do that. On top of that, the announcement had been made, the danger zones had shifted. Sooner or later, somebody would find him.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Muninn. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Theseus†

Post by Theseus† »

((Lenny and Elizabeth Priestly continued from To the Hounds of Hell))

It had been a long walk through the jungle from the shore, one where Lenny and Elizabeth actually talked. For the first part of their trek through the jungle, they had been quiet, just enjoying the daylight and hating the rain together. Though, it was about time they talked. Lenny was now in possession of a new handgun, which he had looked over through the journey and saw that it held 18 bullets. 17 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber.

Elizabeth was worried. She knew things could change now that her brother had a gun. Even when he only had a hatchet he scared her. He didn't scare her in the beginning, but after Anna. It all went down hill. She wanted to go home, true, she wanted to live, but she didn't want to see her brother turn into what he was becoming. It was too much for her. Her brother, her hero, becoming someone he shouldn't become. It was all because of her too.

She had helped him with the gun on the journey. She had always been the better shot between the two, and she figured out how to release the magazine and all the necessary functions for Lenny. While she had been holding the gun, she contemplated what it would be like if she turned the gun on herself and pulled the trigger. It couldn't hurt things. She would set her brother free. He wouldn't have to be who he was. Though she couldn't do that. She just had to hope he truly was changing. After Keiji, she could tell something was different in him. She saw someone else take over when he had killed Anna, though Keiji was different. That was a true fight for their lives. Keiji left them both with scars to remember him.

She was hesitant giving the gun back to Lenny. He was speaking now as if he was doing things for her benefit, though was he really? She couldn't tell. That's how the conversation happened. That's what began their talk.

"Len...I'm scared."

"Don't worry, I won't let anyone hurt you."

"Lenny...I know. That's what I'm scared of."

Lenny stopped. The sounds of the jungle filled his ear, and the sound of the falling rain all around him. He turned to his sister and looked at her. His sister. His best friend. Scared of his protecting her. He reached out to touch her arm and she pulled away.

"Len, no. This...this isn't working. I can't trust you anymore. I...I don't...I don't know you anymore. You killed two people to save me. I'm not stupid Lenny. You tortured Anna. Keiji's guts are spilt all over the airfield. You're not protecting me. You're doing things on your own now. If you wanted to protect me you wouldn't have had us charge at those people in the jungle."

Lenny was silent. Thinking. How could his own sister think this about him? He...he wanted her to live. To go home. He would do anything for her. Anything!

He was doing his best to suppress his personal feelings. He had let Denise live while she journeyed with them just to please his sister. How could she accuse him of this?

"Liz."

Lenny was calm and looked at his sister. His twin.

"I'm going to get you off this island any way I can. If that means I have to empty this gun on someone, I will. You need to understand that. I'm not in this for enjoyment. I don't get pleasure from killing someone. I just want to protect you. Why can't you believe me?"

"Lenny stop lying to me!"

Elizabeth looked around, forgetting she was alone in a jungle with her brother.

"After all we've been through! Stop lying! Just tell me the truth for once. No one cuts someones fingers off because they have to. You don't have to do that Lenny!"

Lenny could have said something back. He could have continued with the lie. He didn't. He wanted to get out of the rain. He only said one thing to his sister.

"I'm the one with the gun."

With that, he turned around and kept walking. Elizabeth followed silently.

They reached the caves a short while later. They had been there before. Multiple times. Upon reaching the entrance they quickly made their way inside just to get out of the rain, both of them unaware of Raven Lawrence's presence.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Theseus. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Muninn†

Post by Muninn† »

As the Priestly siblings situated themselves just inside the cave mouth, Raven Lawrence watched from the shadows further back. From his hiding spot, he could keep an eye on them without worrying about them seeing him... at least, that would be the case until one of them thinks to check the rest of the cave for occupants. He couldn't be sure of it, but the boy was holding something in his hand. A knife perhaps, or maybe a gun.

There was no way out, now. The only way out of this particular cave was now blocked by people who were better armed than him. If they found him, he would have no control over the situation.
What do I do?

Two options: stay in the cave or go talk to them.
Unknown factor: Are they hostile or not? No... would they trust him or not?

If they're hostile, hiding is the only answer. If they weren't... they probably wouldn't trust him anyway. If they'd never heard of him (Raven had no idea who they were, although he'd probably seen them around in school a few times, maybe even had classes with them) than they would be inclined to distrust him as a stranger. If they did know him, the outcome wouldn't be much better. Everybody thinks that the loners would be the first to adapt to this game, right?

He would have to hope that they were gone as soon as the rain let up... whenever that would be. He could survive hanging out in the cave for another day, and then he would put some thought into locating a new hiding spot. This time, he would make sure it had a back door. As quietly as possible, he edged his way deeper into the cave. Once he'd gotten back a little way, he stood up and began to walk as quietly as possible. After being in the cave for the past day, his eyes had more or less adjusted to the dim light at the front of the cave, but in the oppressive darkness was too much for him. His foot caught on a small rock edge that his eyes had missed, and Raven found himself falling.

After years of hiking, a little misstep on uneven ground was nothing for Raven Lawrence. It was as natural as breathing itself to regain his footing before he came to any harm, and it hadn't been that big of an edge that had cuased him to trip. It wasn't until a few seconds later that he remembered that the stakes were higher at the moment.

"Who's there?" Lenny Priestly called out. Trying not to give his position away any more than he already had, Raven turned around and saw the other boy staring towards the back of the cave, gun in hand.
"Show yourself!"

With no options left, Raven lay his pack on the ground and stepped out of his concealment, making sure that his hands were visible the entire time. He didn't even bother to pull his fork out of his pocket.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Muninn. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Theseus†

Post by Theseus† »

((OOC: It's not a big deal since you're new and everything, but it's considered un-polite and actually against the rules to control the actions of another handlers character unless you have permission. Like I said, you're new so it's not a big deal right now, but I don't want you to get in trouble for it later))

Lenny motioned with his free hand for Elizabeth to get behind him. She did as she was told, partly of fear from the boy, and the other part afraid of what Lenny would do if she didn't. Lenny had his gun pointed and aimed at the boy, and looked him up and down.

The boy was Raven Lawrence, and had only been at Southridge since the start of everyones junior year. Lenny really never talked to the boy, and thought the kid kept mostly to himself and talked to only a handful of people. Over all, his history or appearance didn't seem like any sort of threat. The fact that he seemed to have no weapon on him made him seem even more less of a threat.

That would serve Raven good, for Lenny chose not to pull the trigger on his gun. Instead he motioned for Raven to come near him and he said, "What weapon did you get? How long have you been here? Are you playing the game?"

Lenny wasn't sure why he asked the last question. He never heard Raven's names on the kill list reported during the announcements, but that doesn't mean he couldn't be a player. That doesn't mean he still couldn't be a threat to his sister.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Theseus. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Muninn†

Post by Muninn† »

((OOC: My apologies. I will be more careful in the future))

The boy with the gun was motioning for him to come closer. Raven complied (who wouldn't, in that situation?) but made sure that he stayed back a short distance. Better to stay back than to come too close. He kept his hands where they were.

"I'm not playing," Raven assured them, "All I got was a fork." He debated whether or not he should take it out and show it to them, but decided that it wouldn't be necessary until they asked for him to do it. He might not have had their trust, but they hadn't shot him yet at least, and he certainly wasn't going to do anything to change the current situation if it could just make things worse.

"I've been in these caves since this zone became safe. I thought that they would be the best place to avoid people."

Raven remembered seeing these two in passing a few times during school. It seemed that every time he saw them, the two of them were together. Their names were... he couldn't remember their names. Still, it was at least comforting to know that they seemed to be nice people, even if they were mistrustful of him. Then again, who wouldn't be mistrustful in this game?

It was pointless to ask what their weapons were. Whatever else they had, they still had at least one gun. Still, he needed to get some information about them.
"Who are you?" he asked.
Theseus†

Post by Theseus† »

Lenny looked the kid over. Lowering his gun he said, "I'm Lenny and this is my sister Elizabeth."

Lenny looked back outside the cave where it was still raining and said to Raven, "Looks like we have good shelter here Raven. I'm tired of walking in the rain, and I'm assuming so is my sister. So we're both going to stay here. You'll probably stay too, because we both know going back out on the island is like playing Russian roulette. You never know when your number is going to get drawn."

Elizabeth sat down on a rock and touched her cheek. The pain was gone from when she had gotten the scar from Keiji in their fight. She felt it though, and knew how close to death she had been out there. Her brother truly was protecting her....maybe. She looked back at Raven, and said, "Look, we've seen a lot. You probably have too. We can all get along until the rain stops and go our separate ways then."

Lenny thought for a moment. If it was true they would be sharing the cave with this other boy, then this would be an interesting day.

Lenny decided to speak after his sister.

"Let's not play dumb here Raven. Me and my sister are lying to you as well as you're lying to us. In the end, everyone on this island is looking out for themselves. If the roles were reversed and you had a gun in your hand, I truly doubt you would be any different than me. We can both come out of this cave just fine if we play it cool."

Lenny sat down next to his sister, his handgun now aiming at the ground. He felt no fear from Raven. Fighting was stupid right now. Those who were out fighting, they would be the ones who would die. Lenny would protect his sister. He wouldn't put her in danger. He didn't want to have to move from the cave. This was after all the first decent shelter they had in a while since they got some sleep back at the airfield during the night.
Muninn†

Post by Muninn† »

As he went back to retrieve his pack, Raven considered this new turn of events. For the time being, at least, it might turn out okay. As uncomfortable as it was to know that he was living completely at the mercy of the two siblings, he had to admit that having Lenny there to stand guard was much safer. Up until the other two decided to leave, he might as well stay where he knew it was safe.

What should he do afterward? He couldn't stay in the cave, obviously. As good of a hiding spot as it had been, it was no good to him if there were people who knew exactly where he was, no matter what their intentions were. That meant risking the jungle and running into somebody who was actually playing the game.

He glanced back at Lenny and Elizabeth. Would they let him join them? No, they wouldn't... or Lenny wouldn't. Lenny knew not to trust anybody. Lenny knew how to play the game. Elizabeth was either placing more trust in Raven or just better at hiding her distrust, but most people probably wouldn't risk angering a companion they were already traveling with for the sake of a stranger. Besides, Lenny had confirmed that the two of them were lying to him. They might not be playing, but they were doing something, and Raven wanted no part in whatever it was.

Pack in hand, he returned to the front of the cave and sat down a good distance away from the others, idly twirling the fork between his fingers. The decision about where to go could wait until later. For now at least, he could afford to let his guard down a little.
Theseus†

Post by Theseus† »

Lenny watched as the boy went back for his pack, then went to sit at the entrance of the cave. He could easily just aim the gun and fire at the boy. The gun had eighteen bullets. No matter if he was the worst shot in the world, the probability of at least one of those bullets hitting were immense. Though, there was no fun in that. No need. The boy could be useful in his own way. Lenny's eyes darted to a red light blinking in the darkness.

A camera.

They were everywhere, and Danya cared about them very much. That much was certain due to the fact that he detonated four girls' collars just because some group that called themselves S.A.D.D decided to go around smashing cameras.

That was the same plan Reg had. Lenny briefly wondered what the group was up to in the jungle now. If Danni was still sane, if Reg was still trying to find another way off the island.

Elizabeth wondered about Denise. She had taken to liking the girl during the short exploits together, and was sad to see her leave. Though she couldn't blame her. Elizabeth sometimes wondered if she was truly safer with Lenny. She sat in silence, wondering what Lenny was looking out. She was unaware of the twisted game that was forming in his head.

Lenny looked at Raven and aimed his handgun at him.

"I'm bored. You're going to serve as my entertainment for today. See, Danya said on the announcements that for every camera S.A.D.D destroyed, he would blow a random students collar up. I'm curious if that only applies to that one group, or if it applies to everyone. If Danya is a man of his word, then it's only that group. Though, there's only one way to find out. Think of it as a game of Russian Roulette but your odds are much greater of surviving."

Lenny motioned towards the red blinking light in the darkness.

"That's a camera over there. Go smash it up for me will ya?"

Lenny smiled at the boy.

Elizabeth couldn't believe what she was hearing. Why was Lenny doing this? They finally had a chance to get out of the rain, to rest, and he was doing something completely unnecessary. They should leave Raven alone. They should just go about their business. Wait out the rain then move on. Not point a gun at him and make him participate in an experiment.

Elizabeth kept quiet though. For what her brother said was true. He was the one with the gun.
Muninn†

Post by Muninn† »

Raven's eyes darted from Lenny to the handgun and back again. He was hesitant about smashing the camera, since he didn't know exactly what would happen. Maybe nothing, as Lenny had theorized. Maybe Danya would decide that this time, he would simply blow the collar of whoever was responsible.

If he did kill off someone at random, would it be Raven's fault? He didn't exactly have a choice in the matter. Was that what every decision in this game boiled down to, kill or die? What would he do if some innocent girl died? Danya had claimed that he was choosing people at random, but it seemed a bit too improbable that all four deaths had been girls who didn't seem to be playing. It was probably rigged to 'encourage' other students to play.

On the other hand, this opened up an entirely new way to play the game. S.A.D.D. had tried to eliminate the cameras to disrupt the game or whatever, but now Danya had given Raven an entirely different way to play... one that he could do even without a weapon.

Back to the original question... was risking the lives of his classmates worth it? He'd put off the decision when he'd discovered that all he had was a fork, but now... he wasn't going to go crazy and kill everybody, but Raven didn't particularly feel like dying.

"Whatever you say," he responded, getting up and going back to where the supposed camera was. It was barely within reach. He knealt down on the ground and searched until he found a rock that comfortably fit his hand.

I guess that I'm a murderer after all

Raven beat the rock into the camera with every ounce of strength he had. He felt the device give way slightly on the first strike, but he threw in a few more just to make sure Lenny was satisfied. He wondered how many people Danya would kill through the collars before realizing that it could be used as a way of indirectly killing the other students... maybe it really would be confined to the ones destroyed by S.A.D.D.

"All right, I destroyed it," he said, turning back towards the two sitting by the entrance of the cave. "Now what?"
Theseus†

Post by Theseus† »

Lenny paused, waiting for something to happen. Nothing. His head was still intact. Elizabeth was still breathing. Raven was still standing. They were still alive. Lenny lowered his gun and said, "I'm done. You can sit, do whatever. We can wait out the rain, then all go our separate paths. We won't know until tomorrow morning if that made any impact at all. It's not like it matters."

Lenny leaned against the wall of the cave, toying with the gun in his hands. He then stopped, suddenly afraid of it accidentally going off. He didn't want that to happen.

Elizabeth looked out of the cave at the falling rain. Would it ever let out? They were on a tropical island, so rain was probably normal. Elizabeth opened up her pack and took out a bottle of water. She was thirsty, so she drank some of the issued water. When she was done, she put the half full water bottle back into her pack and zipped it up.

Elizabeth looked at Raven and said, "Sorry about my brother. He's just..."

She looked at Lenny, who's eyes were shut. No doubt he was listening to her speak, but she didn't care. She was tired of him making enemies.

"You'll be safe with us, don't worry. He won't try to kill you. He's not out to win."

Lenny opened his mouth.

"She's right Raven. I'm not here to win. I'm not out to kill everyone I see. I'm here to protect my sister. She's going to win. Don't doubt that if I see you when there's only five students left that I won't kill you. I will. If I was smart I should shoot you now. There's no point having the risk of you running around the island only to kill me later. Though you could be beneficial. After this. After our little camping trip here in the cave, you might go out and do good. You might go out, and help eliminate the competition."

Lenny yawned. He wasn't tired for he got plenty of sleep back at the airfield, but the rain made him yawn.

"Do you want to go home Raven? I know you do. How far are you willing to go though? Are you willing to kill? Or are you one of these good guys who don't kill. See, there is no good or bad here. We are all what we are. Just students. This isn't a comic book or a movie. This is real life. There is a blurred line between good and bad here."

Lenny opened his eyes and looked at Raven.

"I've killed two people already. I might kill more. That doesn't make me evil. I'm just playing the circumstances. If you want a chance at going home, you'll have to try to survive as well. Everyone has a reason for playing. I'm doing what I'm doing for my sister. I don't care what your reason will be, but you'll have a reason."
Muninn†

Post by Muninn† »

As he listened to Lenny's words, Raven was forced to reconsider his earlier decisions. He didn't want to die, obviously. Nobody in this game wanted to die, so there were only the people who decided to actively insure that they would live and the people who were waiting for a miracle. Raven had been waiting for a miracle.

He threw the question of whether or not he should kill people out of his mind. He was past that, he would do whatever it took to win. Now he reached the bigger question: What should he do? He was more or less unarmed. He might be able to get lucky and use a rock to crush someone's head just like he destroyed that camera, except a person like that probably wouldn't be much better off. If he could kill Lenny...

Except Lenny would be expecting it. That was the lie that he was telling: he wanted to kill Raven. He didn't kill him straight out because he didn't want to fall out of favor with his sister. Everything, this entire conversation about killing, it was all an attempt to make Raven take the first move. Raven attacks, Lenny defends, and we have checkmate. Elizabeth would have no cause to object, because Lenny's doing everything for her.

With a shock, Raven realized that he was in more danger than he had thought. As soon as they left, what was stopping Lenny from finding an excuse to double back alone and finishing him off? Staying in place was out of the question. Should he just leave right now?

Could he somehow get Elizabeth on his side? Was Lenny serious about making her the winner, or was he going to betray her at the last minute? That would make a fine homecoming- 'Hi mom, sorry that I had to kill my sister, but you know how it goes...'

Seriously though, he needed Elizabeth's help to get out alive. He needed to talk to her without Lenny hearing them... no, without him knowing that they were in contact. Impossible... maybe. If he could lure one of them out of the cave...

Raven got up and walked toward the cave exit. "I'll be back in a minute, I just need to check something," he lied. Be as suspicious as possible, he told himself. You want Lenny to go looking for you to see what you're up to. If both or neither of them come, you got wet for nothing. If Elizabeth comes, he'll know that I had a chance to ask her for help. He exited the cave too fast for them to ask any questions. Finding the best hiding spot he could near the cave entrance where he could keep an eye on things, he sat and waited.
Theseus†

Post by Theseus† »

I'll be back in a minute, I just need to check something

Lenny didn't even register that statement. He heard it, and he watched as Raven left, but it took a couple seconds before he realized that something was wrong. He needed to check on something? Out in the rain? Something was up.

Lenny immediately stood up and turned to his sister.

"Stay here. No matter what happens, stay here. If I don't come back, go as far into the cave as you can and hide. Wait this game out, ok?"

Elizabeth stood up, scared. She wasn't sure why Raven left all of a sudden, and she knew her brother was going to go out and find out.

"Len, no. Come on, stay here. Let him go. He's got to come back."

"Liz, just stay here."

Lenny's mind raced through the possible answers. Raven could be outside waiting to strike Lenny. Raven could have a gun, and is just waiting to pick him off the minute he leaves. Lenny should have checked the boy, but never saw it necessary. Raven was smarter than Lenny gave him credit for, and that caused Lenny to smile.

His sister saw that smile and said, "Lenny, no. No Lenny, whatever you're thinking, no. Don't hurt anyone. Come on, stay here."

Lenny didn't saw a word as he walked towards the entrance of the cave. Without turning around to look at his sister he said, "Elizabeth, I'm protecting you. You'll thank me eventually."

Lenny stepped outside into the rain, and looked around. He looked immediately to his right and left, not seeing Raven. He continued to step farther out and called out into the rain.

"Raven! What are you checking on? Working on your lie are you? You impress me, now get back in the cave before someone has to get hurt!"

Lenny looked around, not sure where Raven went.
Muninn†

Post by Muninn† »

Now that they were out of the caves, Raven had many more options than before. For one thing, he could just walk away at any time. Still, he didn't want to leave just yet. If he left now, he wouldn't get anything out of the situation (he would in fact be worse off, since he had left his pack and map inside the cave). He would just end up in the same position as before.

He still needed Elizabeth's help, but she didn't have to know she was giving it. Sneak back in, get the pack, and drop a few hints to make her trust her brother less. Something would happen sooner or later, so all Raven would have to do is stick around until he stood to gain something. With any luck he would be able to get his hands on Lenny's gun, but even if he couldn't the siblings should have had at least three more weapons between the two of them (assuming that neither them nor the people Lenny had killed had been given joke weapons).

Unfortunately, his earlier plan hadn't been too well thought out. Lenny was still too close to the cave for comfort, and as time went by he would be more likely to just return and wait for Raven to come back. He needed to give him incentive to spend time searching elsewhere for Raven. (As a bonus, Raven could be reasonably sure that Lenny choosing to follow him would be a sure sign of caring more about winning than his sister)

He waited until Lenny was looking the other way before leaving his concealment and heading away from the cave. He deliberately made as much noise as possible, knowing that the rain would hide most of it anyway. He didn't bother to look back and see whether or not he was being followed in case he was seen. He had to seem like he had no idea that Lenny had left the cave. After he had gone what seemed to be a reasonable distance, he found a place to hide and waited to see whether or not Lenny had taken the bait.
Theseus†

Post by Theseus† »

Lenny's head shot in the direction of the sound.

A chase. Raven was leading him on a chase.

A smile formed on Lenny's lips as he looked down at his gun. He should go back to his sister, Elizabeth. Though, the prospect of having Raven alone seemed almost too good to be true. Lenny felt that feeling again start to rush through his veins. The feeling he got when he was killing Anna.

Lenny shouted back into the cave at Elizabeth, "Liz, stay there! I'm going to find our runaway!"

With that, Lenny headed off into the direction of the sound, barely minding the rain anymore.

He was too focused on other things.

Elizabeth sat back in the cave alone. The thought of her brother going even farther away from the cave scared her. She didn't want to be here alone, and she didn't know who might show up or what might happen to Lenny.

She continued to sit on her rock, looking towards the entrance of the cave. Maybe she should move back some. She bent down and picked up her pack and moved a little farther back into the cave, so that she would blend more into the darkness in case something did go wrong. She found another natural seat and sat down.

The dark. She hated the dark. Absolutely hated it and feared it.

She made the mistake of turning around and peering into the pitch darkness of the cave and wherever it leads. Turning back around she heard a whimper escape her lips. She needed Lenny. She needed to get out of this cave. She couldn't though. She had to be a loyal sister.
Muninn†

Post by Muninn† »

How far was far enough? Raven needed a distraction of some kind, something that would allow him to ditch his pursuer and circle around the other way. He tried to stay on the fringes of the jungle, where the foliage wasn't yet dense enough to completely block movement, but would allow him to keep a good distance between himself and Lenny.

Everything had gone perfectly so far. What would Lenny expect him to do next? He was probably expecting a trap or a hidden cache of weapons somewhere, which would imply someplace that was distinct-looking. There was a group of three or four cave openings somewhere in the general area that would be perfect for hiding something like that... and perfect for ending the chase. He began to head out of the jungle and started off in the direction he hoped that the caves were.

Surely enough, he found them with only a little bit of frantic searching. He expected Lenny to be after him in a matter of seconds, so he dashed into the nearest cave and waited. Hopefully Lenny would pick a random cave and search it, but Raven knew that he was running on luck a little bit too much as it was. A brief venture further into the cave revealed that this one was a little more extensive than the one in which he had originally been hiding, although it still only had one way in or out. It was too late to risk switching locations, so Raven hid himself as well as he could, watching the downpour outside and praying that his cave would go unsearched for now. Just in case, he groped around until he found a good-sized stone for a weapon. One way or another, he was going to leave without anybody following him.

Return to “The Caves”