Match Point

Separate from the barracks, the showers are exactly as their name would suggest. The room is, in essence, a large bathroom facility with an open shower area. It's an ideal place to rest, but don't loiter around for too long. The lone door in the front of the building could sign your fate if an ambitious player follows you inside.
Theseus†

Post by Theseus† »

"Then we'll wait."

Lenny walked over to the nearest wall to him, and sat down letting his back and head rest against the wall. He places his back by his side, and held his original handgun in his hand, letting it rest in his lap. He stifled a yawn, and looked up at Lulu. Quite a pair they made. She was just as dirty and and probably tired as him.

"You should sit down. Take a load off."

Lenny motioned towards the empty space by him.

"No use standing and wearing ourselves out. I just realized, we're about to die together within the next 48 hours most likely and I don't know anything about you. That's weird don't you think? We've gone to school with all these kids, and you really don't know that many of them. I mean, it's not like it really mattered, but it's just funny how it takes a game like this to get us to show our true colors."

Lenny let his eyes close, trying his best not to drift off.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Theseus. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
ZombiexCreame†

Post by ZombiexCreame† »

Lulu nodded and walked over to Lenny, sitting down beside him Indian style. She was tired and glad to rest but she didn't think that any amount of sitting would suffice for the ultimate exhaustion that she felt. She let her scythe rest against the wall, while her bag and gun sat on the dirty, dusty floor beside her. She vaguely wondered if she would have to use those weapons again. Maybe, but she definitely hoped not.

She listened to Lenny intently as he spoke, mentioning that they were about to die and how they didn't really know much about their classmates and their true intents. She nodded and said, "Yeah, I don't really know much about you either. I mean, I think you were in my physics class..first semester. I dropped out though. I know what you mean about not really knowing anyone.

"I mean, I normally kept to myself anyway. Most of my friends were younger than me. Sophomores and juniors. I only had a few senior friends and obviously, they're dead now. You're right...it really does take a game like this to reveal ourselves. I've met more people and befriended more people in this game than I have in most of my high school life. Ya know, like Anna. I didn't really know her in school," Lulu told him.

She felt a little awkward mentioning Anna and hoped that it wouldn't upset him. She did attack his twin after all. But Lulu didn't want to dwell on Anna too long. She was gone and that was that. This was a clean slate after all. Lulu was about to make a comment about the surprising amount of students that were willing to kill but she held her tongue. She had killed and Lenny had definitely killed. "Clean slate, Lulu. No use digging up old dirt."

She looked over at Lenny and saw that he was nodding off or sleeping. "Geez, am I that boring...?" she thought to herself. "If you want to sleep, I can keep watch," she told him, peeking out the door. Still a clear coast.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler ZombiexCreame. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Theseus†

Post by Theseus† »

Lenny considered taking up her offer of sleeping. It's not like she was going to kill him in his sleep, she had enough opportunities to do it already. As tired as he was, he knew that he probably couldn't sleep. Though, there was no harm in trying.

With his eyes closed and his head leaned back he said, "Thanks..."

Lenny's mind was blank, nothing really was working. He was shutting down, and he knew it. He did find Lulu's story a bit sad. Losing most of your friends in a game like this is terrible, but the worst part is being one of the survivors. Lenny should be dead, not Elizabeth. The guilt was eating him up, and it would until he died. He didn't know if Lulu felt guilt, but she had to feel bad that she was still alive.

That she was one of the last ones, not her friends.

"So...how do you feel now. Being one of the last ones. How does it feel knowing you made it this far, down to the remnants of your classmates. Blood on your hands and everything. Everythings changing. Two days ago when me and you met in that jungle again, only one of us would have came out. Yet here we are, enemies, classmates, sitting together. Knowing that we did something right. We took all the right steps, shot the people, ducked at the right times. I'll tell you how I feel. Guilty. My sister should be here right now, not me."

Lenny paused.

"I swore I'd get her to the end. I failed and she's dead. Not much to say about it, except I'm still alive. Every minute I spend breathing is more time I have to deal with this guilt. Funny thing is, all those people I killed...I don't feel guilty about them. I enjoyed it, sick huh? I don't think of it that way though. I only feel guilty that my sister is dead and I'm alive. So what about you? How do you feel knowing that you're here?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Theseus. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
ZombiexCreame†

Post by ZombiexCreame† »

"No problem," Lulu said in response to Lenny after she had told him that he could sleep if he wanted to. Lulu crossed her arms and looked up at the ceiling, tracing invisible patterns with her mind. She wondered if this would be her last opportunity to just sit around like this. Her last opportunity to be safe.

But the silence didn't last. Lenny began speaking again. He asked how she felt about being one of the last ones standing. He told her that he felt guilt and as he said all this, Lulu listened intently as she usually did. She adjusted her glasses and then said in response,

"Well...It's a weird feeling. I mean, I'm kind of happy. I'm alive and I'm safe. And I know that by being alive and safe...I'm not causing my grandma or parents back home any heartache. I mean, maybe Grannie was horrified by my two kills...but I'm sure she still loves me. And by being alive and stuff... I'm still giving my family hope. I know it's weird to say but to get me through this trial, I think of them.

"But of course I'm sad. Most the people that I've known for such a long time are dead. And two are gone because of me. But I don't regret it. Not really. Someone was going to kill Liam and Dorian eventually. Probably. Liam was probably going to attack Anna, Madison, Elizabeth and I eventually. I kept him from doing that. And Dorian killed Madison and I couldn't just stand by. So...I can't just sit here and feel guilty about that...

"But yes. The jungle. You could have killed me or I could have killed you, sure. Eventually someone might kill you and eventually someone might kill me. Or we might kill each other. But I don't like to think of us as enemies. That has a negative connotation. But I do feel bad about Elizabeth and I'll never know how losing a twin feels...Elizabeth was a nice girl and I never meant any harm by taking her away from you. I'm sure she's proud that you're sitting here, talking to me in a civilized manner! So don't feel bad..."

Lulu didn't say anything about Lenny enjoying his kills. She didn't understand that. She couldn't understand it. But this game twisted people and she did understand that. This game just twisted Lenny.

"YIKES! Look at that!" Lulu yelled in response to a fairly large spider crawling their way.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler ZombiexCreame. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Theseus†

Post by Theseus† »

Lenny took in all that Lulu had to say, and opened his eyes when she shrieked. His mind was focused on another student, some sort of risk to them, but the source of her problem was a spider. While any other time he would have found this really annoying, and maybe even a couple days ago shot the girl out of pure annoyance, he smiled.

It's funny how on an island full of killers, you could still get flustered over something as simple and small as a spider.

"I don't think it's quite as menacing as you're making him out to be."

Lenny watched as the spider crawled their way.

"Just let him be, he's not hurting anyone. Unless he's poisonous or something...that would be a rather ironic ending for us."
ZombiexCreame†

Post by ZombiexCreame† »

"I don't think it's quite as menacing as you're making him out to be."

"Yes, it is. I hate spiders. They're disgusting and their long legs freak me out. Kill it. Kill it!" Lulu told Lenny, standing up with her back to the wall. She kept sidling away from the little spider, her eyes glued to it. Things like that just made her skin crawl.

She realized that she had spent days in the jungle of this island when the game first began without seeing a single spider. She had seen lizards and beetles, but those didn't bother her. They didn't have long legs and creepy eyes. This train of thought led Lulu to realize that she had spent more time outdoors on this island than she ever had in her life.

Lulu looked down at her arms to check if she had a tan. She was surprised to find that her skin was speckled with dirt and if she did have a tan, she couldn't see it. Oh, yes. The spider. Lulu was about to pounce on the little guy with the bottom of her shoe but Lenny told her to let him be.

"Okay. But I'm not getting anywhere near it. I'd rather not last this long and get bit by a creepy spider," she muttered, flicking some hair out of her face. As she went back to sit beside Lenny, she still didn't take her eyes off the little creepy-crawly. She might as well let him live. Fortunately, the spider made a slow descent out the front door, which was a big relief. Phew.

"Sorry about that. I just..hate spiders. Anyway... You want to be the last survivor, don't you? Is that why you're killing all these people? You must really want to return back to life. Your life beyond this game, I mean," Lulu said while hugging her knees. She still didn't quite understand Lenny's motives and probably never would.
Theseus†

Post by Theseus† »

Lenny listened to Lulu's question, then just shook his head.

"No, I don't want to be the last survivor. In fact, I'm going to make sure somehow or another that I do not win this game. I can't tell you why I killed those people...except that I felt like I had to. I had to protect my sister. She was going to win. Then...well...let's leave it at that."

Lenny didn't know quite how to explain the thrill, the feeling he got from killing other people. He just gave up trying to understand who be became, and he just learned to accept it. It came easily to him, to not care. He only hoped that there was such thing as karma. He hoped that it came back, and tore him up. He wanted to die on this island. He would, he had to.

"I can't go back to my life after this. I can't face my family, I can't face anyone anymore. I failed Elizabeth, I let her die. I killed so many, I did terrible things, things that I would do again. That's the scary part I guess. I'm changed, and I no longer can fit into the society we grew up in. I guess...I'm just looking for the one person who's lucky enough or good enough to bring me down."

Lenny wondered what it would feel like to die. Would it hurt? Would he have some major revelation? Would he see a light at the end of some long dark tunnel?

"I'm just trudging along now, waiting for that moment, the moment it all ends."
ZombiexCreame†

Post by ZombiexCreame† »

Lulu couldn't help but feel surprised when Lenny told her that he didn't want to be the last survivor. It seemed ludicrous to Lulu. Why else would he have killed all those people? He felt like he had to? Once again, another emotion that the girl couldn't relate to. But she didn't feel anger or hostility, just pity. The stress really got to some people.

Lulu figured that she was a lucky one. The stress hadn't completely changed her. She was surprised at how well she had adapted, even after her two kills. But then this started to worry Lulu. What if she wasn't adapting at all? What if the stress was slowly getting seeping into her brain and she was experiencing some sort of emotional shock?

She managed to ease herself out of these thoughts and told herself to stop worrying about such microscopic things. It would never help to worry over things that she couldn't really change. Though she did worry about Lenny and she knew that she couldn't change him.

Though Lulu did understand his desire to protect his sister. That was a given. If Lulu had a sibling on the island, she figured that she might do the same. But, after giving this some more thought, she realized that she would probably be the protected, not the protector. "So you wanted your sister to win.. But did you ask her? Did you ask her if she wanted to win? Maybe this was just how it was all supposed to happen. Fate and stuff," Lulu said softly.

She listened as he spoke about not being able to return to his family and how he let Elizabeth down. How he had done terrible things and is just waiting for someone to bring him down. Lulu frowned. "I'm sure going back to life after this would be very strange.. But you didn't fail Elizabeth, I'm sure. You protected her and even when Anna and I kidnapped her, you still searched for her, didn't you? I promise that you didn't let her down," she told Lenny, trying to be as comforting as possible. It was the only thing she could do in these hard times.

"And geez, don't start talking about death again. I don't want to think about it. Besides, I could gun you down right now if I wanted, but I'm not going to do that. I won't contribute to the deaths anymore. I already feel awful about those other two.. You must feel awful too, don't you? Somehow in some way..? Sorry, I shouldn't ask. But if you're just trudging along, you might as well make the best of it.."
Theseus†

Post by Theseus† »

((Sorry for the lateness, and the crappy posts, graduation/college registration has been taking its toll on me Image ))

Lenny didn't feel awful about any of the deaths, that was the thing. People were going to die on this island, it didn't matter. He just happened to be the one who killed some of them.

"No. I don't feel bad at all. I did what I had to do. I did...what felt good. None of that matters now though."

"Elizabeth, the kidnapping, the deaths, none of that matters now. It's about us now, about what happens now until our own ends. Regardless whether we get off this island or not."

Lenny wondered what was in store for him, what was in store for Lulu. Lulu was right though, if he was just trudging along, he might as well make the best of it. This very well could be his last day alive anyways.
ZombiexCreame†

Post by ZombiexCreame† »

((It's all good. Congrats on your graduation. :]))

Lulu made a face but it melted into a more serene look as she struggled to understand the boy beside her. In an almost forced tone, she told him, "If that's what you feel was the right thing to do, then maybe it was the right thing to do. A lot of people met unfortunate ends and even if you hadn't of killed them... They still would have died. We all would have. But no, I guess it doesn't matter. It's in the past now," she said, her eyes scanning the room.

The past was gone and the future kept coming closer and closer. Lulu tried to grasp for the image in front of her but it was just so blurry and unclear. What kind of path would open before her? She could only see the black path and the white path. Life and death and that was it. The same path was delivered unto every student and it just felt a little unfair. Fortunately, Lulu was over those dominating feelings of unfairness.

"Yep.. It's about us now. We still have a part to play." Lulu was reminded of a Latin phrase. It went a little something like.. Acta Est Fabula, or something like that. Shaking her head, she realized that probably wasn't it at all but it meant something like 'the play has been acted out.' It was a weird thing to think about, but sometimes when she was walking around the island, that phrase filled her head because this was all like a strange, macabre play where the actors dwindled one by one.

"I won't go as far as to say that I'd ever contemplate getting off this island.. I'm not that crafty, but no matter what happens, I think this is how it was supposed to be. Fate or something," she said aloud. It sounded cheesy to her and she wondered if she was getting woozy from a lack of normalcy. Then she asked Lenny, "It would kinda suck if you had to celebrate your birthday while participating in Survival of the Fittest, huh?"
Theseus†

Post by Theseus† »

Celebrating your birthday on this island, what a thought.

"You know, with as many kids as we have in our class, I wouldn't doubt that at least one kid had to celebrate his birthday here. I can just imagine it...sticking a match in a cracker and making a wish."

"I wonder what you'd wish for...getting off the island. That seems like something a lot of people would wish for."

Lenny didn't realize how much he enjoyed pointless conversations like this. It seemed like something taken straight from a Quentin Tarantino script. All these days on the island he had to act so serious, his conversations always dark, hurtful.

Though now, he could talk about birthdays, lighter stuff, even though he knew this could be his last day. He knew his time left was much lighter now, and instead of focusing on the bad, he finally was letting ago, able to enjoy the small things that life could offer. At least as much as this island could offer considering the circumstances.
ZombiexCreame†

Post by ZombiexCreame† »

"Or maybe some kids didn't even realize it was their birthday at all," Lulu added. It was plausible, especially since she couldn't even pinpoint the exact date. Was it June? July? All days and weeks seemed to melt into an unintelligible blur. If Lulu thought back, she could say that her experience here felt more like four or five days rather than a week or however long it's lasted so far. She honestly couldn't say. She didn't actively keep count, she just didn't find it relevant.

When Lenny pondered on what the lucky birthday boy or girl would wish for, Lulu pursed her lips in thought, tapping her chin. She couldn't think of anything except a get-off-the-island free card so she jokingly commented, "I dunno. Maybe I'd wish for a tank or a protective bubble or something."

Lulu stood up and stretched a little. She was never the type to sit still for long. She started to get a little restless and sore. She walked around the room and was quickly reminded of the terrible corpses strewn about. Her mouth twisted slightly and she headed over to the door, her eyes scanning all around. All she heard was birds, bugs and the light wind blowing past her. Nature was oblivious to the amount of killing going on.

"Things seem quiet. Maybe we really did find a safe place to stay. I wonder what everyone else is doing..." Lulu said aloud, her head looking back into the building. There was a possibility that the remaining survivors were just sitting around chatting like Lenny and Lulu. Or perhaps they were killing each other. She didn't really want to think of that.
Theseus†

Post by Theseus† »

"A tank. Now that would be a site to see on the island."

Lenny watched as Lulu got up and paced around the room, and thought about her question. What was everyone else doing? How many people were even left? It couldn't have been that many now. Soon enough, they would run into each other. They would have to, or....well wouldn't that be a bummer.

Lenny looked up at Lulu and said, "Didn't the rules say something about at least one death for every 24 hours, or all of our collars detonate? What if everyone is just running around, just like us, and if there aren't many of these other people, the chances of running into each other, and let alone killing each other become much less. Wouldn't it be a bummer if me and you were just talking and then...BOOM! We were dead. All because of a lack of a kill."

Lenny thought about it some more then said, "On the flip side of that, the chances of killing could be much higher now that this game seems to be approaching the end. People will be much more desperate to get off, and will be able to actually see the finish line. Killing could become easier for people, because it seems to be out of necessity now."

"Either way, we're both in trouble."
ZombiexCreame†

Post by ZombiexCreame† »

"Yes, indeed," Lulu said in response to Lenny's comment about the tank. She couldn't help but smile as she imagined herself maneuvering a tank. It would be an impossible task. So even if wished for a tank and received one, she knew that it would do her no good. Besides, what could she do in it, besides hiding inside or driving around. After a few minutes of silence, she shook her head. What ridiculous thoughts. There was no tank and there would never be a tank. It was at times like these that she realized how easily her mind could run off with a particular thought. It was scary to say the least.

She looked over at Lenny just in time to hear him talk about the unfortunate possibility of blowing up. After listening, she began to think again, but forced herself not to ponder too deeply. Who knew if her mind would come back? "It would suck," she said simply. "It would suck to come this far and then everyone die because no one's been killed in a day. It would almost feel like all the people that have died here.. well, it would all be a waste. Because there wouldn't be a winner. But if it happens, it happens, I guess."

Of course Lulu would be disappointed, but she had learned to expect the worst. She knew that death was following her at all times and if it came for her now, she'd just have to accept it. Besides, if she died here and now, it might save her some heartache later. "Stop thinking of things like that Lulu. You're alive so just deal with it."

But as Lenny proposed that people would be more desperate to kill, Lulu nodded. "Yep, I see your point. Interested in sacrificing yourself? You know, just in case no one has died in the past twenty-four hours." There was an awkward silence and Lulu didn't remove the smile from her face. "Just kidding. One death to save them all... or everyone simply dying.. They're equally sucky situations.

"But yes, we're definitely both in trouble. But haven't we been since the very beginning?" she asked. She knelt down and dusted some dirt from her flats, then dislodged a rock or two from the bottom. She just wanted this all to end. But if she did die now, she wouldn't mind. She was at peace. She was sitting in an abandoned building, simply talking. She wasn't being shot at or attacked. Just talking. Situations could get worse off later so she appreciated this small break.
Theseus†

Post by Theseus† »

"Sorry, I'm not good enough to sacrifice myself in case no one has been killed."

Lenny was tired, and he knew it was taking a toll on him. He was not only physically tired, but emotionally tired. Napping, sleeping a couple hours, none of that helped anymore. His body was shutting down, and he knew it. His mind was drifting, and the conversations he was having with Lulu showed it. His tried to stay focused, but everything seemed so far away now. Everything was disconnected.

"Lulu. I think I'm dying."

Lenny looked down at his body, he had been shot, beat up, been through everything. He was dying. He had to collect his energy, his thoughts. He had to hold together until the end. He refused to die like this, he wanted to go out with a bang. He didn't make it this far for nothing.

Lenny closed his eyes, controlled his breathing, and opened his eyes. The world seemed closer now, more normal. He could do this. He could last a bit longer.

He would.

Return to “The Showers”