Melancholy

Not all of Highland Beach is sunshine and palm trees. Some people simply don't have the means to make it financially. Those people usually live in Clifton Court, an older neighborhood that hasn't been renovated since Village Harbor was constructed. The neighborhood has been deteriorating for years and many houses are in a state of disrepair. The people living here are either too poor, too set in their ways, or too strung out to care.
Namira

Melancholy

Post by Namira »

((Continued from Out on the Town and Out of the Closet))

Simon was glad that his departure from the Bowling alley had gone so unnoticed. Regardless of appearences, he really hadn't felt like trying to play. He just knew that he was going to screw up...

Just hope Katie accepts that Sime-O, by all accounts she can be a right firebrand... hopefully she'll have forgotten you were ever there. Plenty of her friends were already about the place after all...

Distracted, Simon allowed his feet to just keep walking along, and before long, he found himself in one of the rougher areas of town. As soon as he realised where he had wsndered, Simon swore under his breath. It was pretty late, this wasn't the kind of place you wanted to be, especially with one arm. Good thing he was confident he could outrun most people who might care to go after him...

Okaay, what are your options? Been dawdling for a while, so not entirely sure where you are. Best bet would be to just turn back right now... better do that.

Simon immediately did a 180 turn, and walked at an increased pace back up the street, his footsteps sounding loud and clear in the night, giving him cause to wince. It just went to show that not concentrating could get you in trouble...

This is a reprive dude... be more careful in the future...
Ciel†

Post by Ciel† »

((Madison continued from The Mind of Angelic Ones))

Okay... where the hell am I? Madison stared up at the streetlight for a moment. I've been wandering these streets for a hour just after I got off the boardwalk. Maybe I'm lost... The brunette looked out at the street she was on. She shook her head, putting her hand up to her forehead. Yeah... I'm lost. God... I feel like such a stupid kid right now. She couldn't blame herself, though. After all, she has never been to this part of town before, and all of it looked really strange. There was a pressure building up in Madison's chest, and she really didn't know if it was either fear or some other emotion. Maybe it was fear. Everything seemed like it was going to just jump out at her, and kill her. It was pretty obvious to the girl that she had to get out of this part of town, right now. She never had the unfortunate of walking out in places like the one she was in at the moment, but from the stories she's heard, doing such a thing would end badly. Whether Madison wanted to believe it or not, she had (though unintentionally) just wandered into a darkened, suspicious neighborhood at night. Not the smartest idea in the world.

Oh... no... Madison quivered, thinking she had just heard a noise behind her. A loud metal crash that made her jump back, her feet landing on the sharp concrete. The girl looked down at them, a frown crossing her lips. I wish I had put on some shoes before I left. God... tonight is just not my night. She her head looked up quickly, trying to find where the noise came from. A trash can had just fallen down. Madison breathed a sigh of relief. Thank god... I have to get out of here. For all I know, there could be someone just behind me... Madison quivered again, beginning to walk in the opposite direction in that she came. Alright. Just keep walking, Madison. Just keep walking. Just... get back to the boardwalk, walk down to the beach and then head back home. There's no one going to jump out at you, no one's going to attack you, no one's... going to... Ju-Just keep walking. Don't look back... Just... don't look back. There's nothing interesting behind you whatsoever.

She still looked back behind her. Is... Is that someone following me? Her whole body turned cold

She quickly turned back, her speed picking up little-by-little. Alright... that COULD be someone following me... but you aren't 100% sure. Don't go assuming that there is someone. Just keep on walking, Madi. There's no reason to worry, unless if... there's... someone with a criminal record following you. But what are the chances that there's even someone following you in the first place. Yeah, there's that feeling, but... what the hell does that have to do with anything? The brunette couldn't help but look back again, just to make sure. She didn't notice, of course, that there was a crack in the sidewalk, and her foot suddenly caught inside it.

She fell face first onto the concrete, her ankle scrapping against the ground. The moment she connected with the ground, everything seemed to grow dim in her eyes. She pressed her arms against the pavement, trying to pick herself up. She squeaked, the pain in her leg almost unbearable as she slowly got back onto her feet. Her left leg limped as she stood there, making the girl wince in pain. She moved her right forward, but the sharp feelings in her left foot made in impossible to move any further. Damn it! I... I can barely move... oww... She murred loudly, moving her left foot just a tiny bit, making a little distance. I... can't stay here... Even if your leg's hurt, you have to keep moving. Don't let anyone... take... advantage... of you...
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Ciel. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Namira

Post by Namira »

Simon paused for a moment, puzzled. For one or two seconds there, he could have sworn that his were not the only footsteps echoing through the night air... Then he heard it again, and frowned. It wasn't the regular clip-clop sound of ordinary shoes... it sounded like a flip-flop sound, soft and steady. Could that be... somebody in bare feet? Simon smirked when he considered the idea, but as he thought on it he realised that it was the most likely explaination. That or an animal.

Simon almost jumped out of his skin when he heard a loud crash, more of less right next to him. He whirled round, and spied a trash can, fallen onto the concrete. He must have brushed against it... Feeling slightly guilty, Simon did his best to pick it back up and set it stable. As he was preparing to move on, he heard something strange, and he cocked his head to one side, to better pick it up. There was definitely a sound, and this time it was increasing, almost as if somebody was moving faster.

Then, the footsteps ceased, and Simon's brow furrowed.

Well... either this is a clever trick Sime-O, or something's gone wrong. Help or use it as an excuse to get the heck out of dodge? ... That question isn't even worthy of you.

Simon hurried forward at a brisk jog, and before long, not too far in front of him, he spied a peculiar shape, lying close to ground, soon rising to its feet. As he grew closer, he saw that it was a girl, not only that, but one that he knew personally.
"Madi?" he called softly. "Are you okay? What happened?" immediately Simon dashed over to her side, and attempted to support her, looping her arm over his good shoulder - as she was obviously limping.
Ciel†

Post by Ciel† »

Madison was shocked the minute she noticed someone taking a hold of her arm. Her mind began to move, assuming what was happening. Oh no... someone's... taking me... She quivered for a second, but she instantly heard her name. She looked over at the figure who had taken her arm and wrapped it around his neck. This guy... he looks really familiar.... Wait! I know who this is. "S-Simon?" She spoke up, her voice slightly hoarse, due to the fact that she hadn't spoken in almost two hours. "Wh-what are you doi-" She figured out what was going on, and the girl relaxed for a moment. "Oh.... No... I'm alright..." She knew this was a lie, and it was also pretty obvious that Simon knew this too. Madison knew that there was no denying any of it, and she looked back up at the boy. "I... fell... on the concrete. I think there was this crack, and my foot... got caught, and I tripped... If you... really want to know, my leg is in alot of pain right now."

She tried to walk along with Simon, but this seemed really impossible. She shivered in pain after every step she made. Oh... god, this hurts soooo much... "Th.... thank you for asking me, Simon..." She told the boy, not even noticing that a smile was spreading across her face.. "I can't help but ask... what are you doing here, of all places?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Ciel. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Namira

Post by Namira »

Simon was surprised to see Madison so jumpy - earlier she had seemed far more composed. On the other hand... it was late at night, she had an injured ankle, and somebody had come up behind her and grabbed hold of her. Why wouldn't she be jumpy?

Possibly. Simon added wryly. She caught sight of your ugly mug and froze in terror...

As she spoke, Simon merely listened - after all, Madison had taken a nasty fall, and babbling a little was perfectly normal in this kind of situation. He frowned a little when she lied about feeling okay, but nodded sympathetically as she told him what actually happened. When she asked him why he was here, Simon winked rougishly.

"Why, to save the damsel in distress of course," he chuckled and shrugged awkwardly with his bad arm. "To tell you the truth, I was out walking and wasn't paying much attention to where I was going. But... I'm not sure that matters. Is your house near here? Or would you rather come to my place?"
Ciel†

Post by Ciel† »

The wink Simon gave Madison made her want to giggle slightly, but in this situation, she was too focused on her leg to really do anything like that. She just tried to smile her best, completely ignoring the pain in her ankle.

Wait... now that makes me wonder... where exactly is my house? Madison really didn't want to trouble Simon at all, but she really didn't see that she had much choice in the matter. Besides, no matter how rat-filled or hazardous Simon's house could turn out to be, it'd be nowhere near as bad as staying out in a scary street like this one. So, with another smile, she nodded. She had finally calmed down fully, her studdering dissolving completely. "Well... I really don't know where I am, so I guess it's better if I go home with you... you don't mind, do you?"
Namira

Post by Namira »

Simon nodded.
"It's no problem. I have to warn you though, it's not exactly luxurious, just a little apartment that my uncle stood me, because his son doesn't want it..."

Bloody Sean... are you supposed to hate your own cousin? Eh... I guess it's some sort of universal law that you have to be at odds with at least one relative...

At least the place wasn't too far away... his uncle had been nice to let him use it, but like he had told Madison, it wasn't the greatest place in the world, but Simon made sure to keep it clean. He was no slob, just a little scruffy when it came to appearences... Still, there was a marked difference between being a little scruffy and being unhygenic.

Just keep moving, and ignore the fact that this girl is really hot... *gulp*
Ciel†

Post by Ciel† »

Madison shook her head. "Any place is perfect with me. Anything's better than this dump, frankly. But... you have your own place? That's a... surprise. But it's perfectly fine. I'll go home with you, if that's fine with you." Madison began to think. Wait... I'm going home with another guy... the last time I did that, it was... with... Madison stopped thinking, smiling back at Simon. Her leg was beginning to feel alot better, although it still made her quiver in pain every time her foot connected with the ground. She pressed the weight of her arm against Simon's shoulder, letting him help her walk. "T.... Thanks again, Simon. It's... very thoughtful of you. You could have just let me... limp there, but... Thank you."
Namira

Post by Namira »

Simon wasn't too put out that Madison was a little surprised he had his own place. Not many people their age did have a pad of their own. Simon was just lucky he had a stereotypical benevolent uncle, either that, or he was lucky to have a cousin who would turn his nose up at a perfectly good apartment... Then again, maybe it was because there was no mirror, Sean was a narcissist.

"Hey, it's no problem. I couldn't just let you struggle along, it's just annoying I can't support you on the side with the hurt leg. Damn arm..." Simon looked at her as they walked along, then swallowed and turned away again.

Stupid, stupid! Stop thinking about her looks! Say something to take your mind off it...

"So Madison, I don't think you ever said... what brought you to Southridge?"

Well... it could have been worse I guess...
Ciel†

Post by Ciel† »

The question really surprised Madison, so much so that she didn't understand it fully the minute he asked her. Once she finally understood, she looked down. I... really don't want to bring up Sam... God, if I make it sound like I'm some kind of depressed freak, I might creep him out. Don't mention her at all. Just try to come up with a lie. A very good lie. One that he'll take without any doubt.

As nonchalantly as she could muster, Madison answered Simon's question, as calm and collected as she could. "Well... my mom, you see, she got a new job... I had to leave Sacramento to come over to Southridge... I haven't seen any of my friends since I went away." This was, of course the truth, although... her mother's job was a mystery to Madison. She never told her, and whenever she pressed Elana about it, she quickly changed the subject. Madison knew it wasn't wise to bother her mother on topics she really did not want to discuss, so she had just let it drop. However, now that she got down to thinking... she always wanted to know that. I wonder why mom never seems to want to talk about her work....

Quickly trying to change the subject, so Simon couldn't try to get anything else out of her, Madison perked up with her arm still tightly clamped down on the boy's shoulder. "So... where is your apartment at, anyway? These slums... they really don't look like the place people would want to... stay at..." The brunette blushed slightly, hoping he really DIDN'T live here, fearing that she might have offended him. Oh no... look what you did, Madison! Now he's going to hate you! Way to go!
Namira

Post by Namira »

Simon winced inwardly as Madison spoke up. It was plain to see that her answer was a little awkward, it looked as if he might have touched on a difficult subject. But he listened nonetheless, and as she spoke, his heart went out to her. No wonder she seemed so lonely all of the time... she'd had to leave all of her friends behind. In truth, he was just as glad as she was to change the subject.

Another lucky escape... you should have considered that... it isn't exactly tactful to bring up that kinda subject. She isn't exactly going to be having the time of her life...

Simon wasn't offended when Madison spoke about the slums, although that seemed to be what she was expecting as she slowed down in her speech, almost as if she want to retract her words. But it didn't really matter... Simon's appartment, like he had told her, wasn't top of the range, but it wasn't a dump either.
"Don't worry, I don't live here. It must suck if you do... But I guess some people aren't as well off. My place isn't far from here... looks as if we're out of the roughest areas now, that's a relief,"

Well reasurred moron...
Ciel†

Post by Ciel† »

Madison could only smile even more as she noticed they had just left the worst part of the city. Her whole body seemed to relax even more after being reassured that Simon lived nowhere near where they had met up in. Of course, she really didn't mind where she stopped to begin with, nor did she care what her mother was going to say when she found out that her little girl had snuck out of their house and went home with a slightly scruffy-looking boy she had met at school. All that was on Madison's mind at that time was getting to Simon's apartment, so she can at least rest her leg. The pain in her ankle seemed to grow with each and every step that she took with her savior, although she hadn't acknowledged this until that moment.

Oh, god... did I break my ankle or something? No... it doesn't feel that bad... If that were true, then I wouldn't be able to move with Simon at all. Then he'd have to carry me... Madison shook her head slightly, trying to get her mind working again. Trying to take her mind off the pain, she moved her eyes back and forth, studying the street they had just walked into. Wow... this place still looks dingy, but... it's a hell of an improvement over that last place we just went to.

"Well... that's good to hear at least... Not that there's anything... wrong if-if you did live there. Any place is as good as the next, I suppose." Madison started to become nervous. God... I know he told me that he didn't live there, but why do I still feel like I'm insulting him? She winced again, her mind noticing once again that her leg was in some damn serious pain.
Namira

Post by Namira »

Simon chuckled a little when Madison spoke again. She seemed to be going almost out of her way to be polite, most likely due to anxiety on her part.

You're not doing much better... you're just as nervous as she is... to be fair... she's just taken a hell of a fall in a rough neighbourhood at night, why wouldn't she be relieved?

"I live just over here," Simon said, turning onto the path, gently guiding Madison along. "It's got a computer... so I'm pretty much sorted out in here," He fumbled in a pocket for his keys, and unlocked the door into the corridor. Fortunately, he lived on the ground floor, so there wasn't any stairs for Madison to tackle - he wasn't sure her injured leg would be up to it. "Here we are," Simon murmured. "Home sweet home..."
Ciel†

Post by Ciel† »

Thank god... no stairs... Madison looked down at her own battered leg, sighing in relief. I'm... not definite, but I'm pretty sure my leg... can't take a long climb like a long fleet of stairs, and... I won't be finding out the answer to that anytime soon. I wouldn't allow it... She smiled, his chuckled very light in tone, completely unlike what she would have expected from someone like Simon. Come on, Madison. Be nice to Simon, will you? After all, he could have just left you on that sidewalk to fend off muggers, rapists and god knows what other kinds of monsters on that street but... the second he noticed me on the ground, he ran to help me up.... most of all, he KNEW my name! HE REMEMBERED MY NAME! I figured I alienated him in the lunchroom so much that he wouldn't want anything to do with me, but... He didn't care.... he helped me... he c-cares about me....

Madison really didn't want Simon to notice her face completely flushed, so she pulled her face away, trying to hold in a large smile. Her hand began to loosen it's grip around the boy, the twinging pain in her leg seeming to simmer down again as she did so. Her mind began to whirl like a carnival ride. Memories that she never wanted to bring up again began to ring loudly in her head. Bad memories. Memories that made Madison want to cry tears of both sadness and joy. Wow... he's just so nice... so kind... J-Jeremy, he never... he wouldn't ever do this kind of stuff for me unless if he wanted something from me. He just took and took, and never... and never cared about me... but Simon... he picked me up. He helped me when I was in pain. Jeremy wouldn't have done that, or in the very least, he'd hesitate for a bit. Simon did it like it was nothing. He's hasn't stolen a look, or given me a grope. No... he's pure. He truly, truly cares... like we've known each other for years.

A single tear ran down Madison's face, who quickly wiped it away, making damn sure that Simon would never, ever see. She darted her face back into sight, her eyes looking into his. She couldn't help but giggle, completely unlike what Madison usually acted. She was really beginning to feel strange: She never acted like that, but there she was, doing something that she herself thought she could never do. "Thank you, Simon." Madison told him, her voice crystal clear. No stuttering or pauses. What she said was coming from the heart. "You're a true friend. I didn't even need to ask you to help me...." Madison began to think again, her face wanting to change to a look of suspicion(although she forced her face not to move whatsoever). Wait... w-w-what if Simon... is going to... that he wants to... that... Madison stared, her mouth slightly ajar. She didn't say anything. There was only one word in her mind. One that she was quite familiar with.

Sam...
Namira

Post by Namira »

Madison had picked a good moment to let a tear out. Well, at least, a good moment to let a tear out and conceal it from Simon. Not only was he busy finding the right key for his own front door, a somewhat tirseome process, as Simon locked quite a lot of stuff, but he was looking in complete the opposite direction, in order to hold up the keys to the dim light cast by the lamp in the hallway. Simon adjusted his glasses a little, then picked out the right key.

Finally... it's not rocket science...

Simon turned back just as Madison giggled, right on time for her to pay him a heartfelt compliment. Indeed, it swept him right off of his feet, and he had to catch himself at the last second to not let his jaw drop open. Simon was momentarily speechless - it wasn't every day that somebody called you a true friend, especially when you'd only just met them earlier that day. Still... it was altogether a plesant feeling. Still a little stunned, Simon merely said the natural thing.

"I'm not all that great... I'm sure anybody else would have gone to you there. It's... the right thing to do,"

Simon's cynical inner voice registered surprise.

Looks like you finally did something right Sime-O, my figurative hat is off to you. But can you keep up the score? Madison, you'll notice, has frozen up a little...

Simon deliberately ignored the stare that she was giving him and concentrated on opening the door. Once it was ajar, he looked back to her.

"Alrighty... I guess you can sit yourself down on the sofa for now. I can get some ice for your leg if you like. Depending on whether or not you think you can make it home, I can change my bedsheets and let you sleep there, and I'll bunk out in the living room,"

Simon's little appartment had only three rooms - one of them a tiny bathroom. The entering one was a peculiarly segregated room, half kitchen, half living area, another room hinted that it was Simon's bedromo.

Return to “Clifton Court”