Melancholy

Not all of Highland Beach is sunshine and palm trees. Some people simply don't have the means to make it financially. Those people usually live in Clifton Court, an older neighborhood that hasn't been renovated since Village Harbor was constructed. The neighborhood has been deteriorating for years and many houses are in a state of disrepair. The people living here are either too poor, too set in their ways, or too strung out to care.
Ciel†

Post by Ciel† »

Madison giggled again, noticing Simon stumbling slightly. I'm not very sure, but I think he wasn't expecting me to say that... hehe... I like that. That expression on his face wasn't too bad either... The girl nodded, listening to Simon try to say a very neutral comment. "Oh, come on. Do you think that if anyone was there at that time of night, they would most likely help me rather than hurt me?" Madison smirked, acting completely unlike what she always thought she was: quiet, timid and shy. Of course, she had seen times where she acted completely out of character, but that was rarer than anything else. In fact, if Simon had been less than courteous, she wouldn't even want him to take her to his apartment. She would have just gone home.

She let herself into his apartment, plopping down on his couch with a loud sigh. There was little trouble actually getting to the couch itself, but once she arrived at the sofa, it was all downhill from there. "God... my leg hurts..." She scanned Simon's apartment for a minute. It was very obvious to her that Simon, despite what his appearance told her, was as neat as her mother, maybe even more so. Madison never really wanted to criticize her mother (nor did her mom ever put up with her criticism anyhow), but she had to say: Simon was alot better at keeping things neat than she could ever had. Maybe.... Maybe mom might learn a thing or two from Simon... hee... She smiled softly, her damaged leg trembling for a minute. The pain was still there, but it seemed to lessen now that Madison was trying to keep it nice and still.

"Oh! No, no... I'll just sleep on the sofa." Madison shook her head, trying not to be a bother for the taller boy. "I... don't want to trouble you anymore than I have."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Ciel. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Namira

Post by Namira »

"Well... if there is anybody who wouldn't help you out... they gotta be pretty messed up. I just can't understand the psychology of somebody who would take advantage of a hurt person. I guess I'm kinda naive..."

Simon considered this, and decided that he would rather be innocent to the ways of the world than cynical. Of course... a lot of his thoughts were often such, but Simon kept those locked away inside, that was more personal stuff, plus, some of the things that his mind was likely to come up with were kinda offensive.

"Uh-uh," Simon shook his head. "This is no discussion, and it's no trouble. I'm not letting you kip on the couch with a banged up leg - it can't be good for it. Now sit tight, and I'll go get some ice,"
Ciel†

Post by Ciel† »

Madison watched as Simon left the room. Wow... Simon seems... very innocent. Wow... he's just so nice. How many people in your life have ever treated me like this? Well.... few. Not many, I know that for sure, and all of those people I've have many, many years to get to know. Simon... I've only met him once, and he treats me like we're best friends. Wow... he's just so nice. Even Jeremy never acted this way around me, and he was my... boyfriend. Wow... I wish I had met Simon on my first day! Maybe... I could be normal again.

Madison smiled, her face flustered, although this was due to the heat of the room more than Simon. Unsurprisingly, Highland Beach was hot in the night, year round, and Madison had to learn that the hard way. With a tired sigh, Madison scooted down to one side of the couch, flipping her legs onto the couch. She winced a bit, due to the suddenness of her movements, but she settled down. Okay... don't make too much noise, Madi. He might think that you hurt it again. Don't want him working like a dog for me. I owe him that much.

Trying to break the silence that had grown between the two, Madison thought it best to start up a conversation with the other boy. "So... uhh... Simon. You never really told me... how you got that cast." She was about to finish, but she soon noticed that she might have insulted him. Fearing the worst, Madison stumbled on her own words. "W-well, I'm not saying that the cast is bad, but... I'm just wondering how you got it. You don't have to tell me if you... really don't want to. I understand if you do...."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Ciel. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Namira

Post by Namira »

Simon rummaged around in the freezer for a while, noting with some dismay that there was very little for the ice he was looking for to hide behind. It looked as if a shopping excursion might be required in the near future... but that was not to be worried about now. After all, Simon, fortunately, would not have to burden Madison with the nightmare that could come of his attempts to cook a meal. At length he extracted just what he was looking for - an ice pack. Sometimes, after a run, he needed to make use of it. When he reemerged, Madison spoke up, this time concerning his arm. Just a brief shadow passed across his face.

Hey... don't let it get you down, it was years back that it happened, it's all in the past... Besides, she did the backtracking thing again, it's kinda cute when she does that...

"It's okay, I'm not that sore about it... Well, I uh, got into an accident when I was younger, riding on the back of one of my old buddy's motorbikes... things screwed up a little. My arm got seriously mangled in the crash, and it never set right - there was too much damage. If I recall... I believe the doctor said I managed to break one of the bones into several pieces. Luckily I passed out. Since then... it's been cast and sling, but it's sometimes pretty novel to have one sleeve unfilled. Makes you look like a video game character or something..."
Ciel†

Post by Ciel† »

Madison frowned slightly, a look of concern crossing her face. Oh no... I think I made him upset... oh, no... "Oh... I'm really sorry to hear that. Just... look at the bright side..." The brunette perked up, an encouraging smile replacing her concerned one. "At least you're alive. You have to keep positive after everything bad that happens, that what I always do. Anyway... let's change the subject. I don't want to bring up any bad memories, you know?" Okay, Madi. She thought in her head for a moment. Just change the whole subject, and he might not think to ask you about how you came to Highland Beach again. You don't want to force any angst onto Simon, right? He would probably think I'm some sort of freak if I did.

Madison bent her right knee up, both of her arms wrapping around the thigh of her right leg. She tried her best not to move her battered left leg anymore, but this seemed entirely impossible. It really didn't matter however, because the pain was bearable if you try not to move it too much, which was exactly what Madison was trying to do. She held her own hand out for the bag of ice, that smile she had on a minute before still very noticeable. "So... how long have you been living in his apartment? A year or two? A month? I can't actually see myself ever living in a place like this, although I... don't mean that as an insult."
Namira

Post by Namira »

After a moment or two of consideration, Simon handed the ice pack over. Madison would know better where it was hurting after all... Still, he was heartened by the way she reacted to his story - not a lot of people would have responded like that. They were all 'shock! horror! Poor you!' it was nice to have somebody who looked on the good side of things for once. Not everybody loved getting sympathy, in fact, for Simon, it was rather irritating.

Well... one thing is fairly certain... either you bring out a positive reaction in her, or Madison is a lot more cheerful than was apparent by first apperences. Take your pick, both of them are fairly nice options, for once.

Simon thought about her question briefly, it didn't take too long to arrive at the answer.
"'Bout a year and a half. I moved in about six months after the accident. That was when I dragged myself out of the slump I'd fallen into. It has a computer... so I'm pretty much sorted, and it's easy to go out running to be honest. Those two things together and I'm set up,"
Ciel†

Post by Ciel† »

Madison took the ice pack into her hand, placing it just above the ankle. She shifted uncomfortably for a fraction of a second, but this was due to the cold of the ice pack, not the pain from her leg. She kept that smile on her face. When she really wishes to, Madison could act like one of the most positive people around. Well... that's when she actually opens up to people. Most of the time, even with most of her past friends, she would stay quiet and say nothing. With Simon, this was completely different. Of the only day she has known him, Madison knew one thing for sure: Simon's voice made her smile. The kind of feeling when she saw him chuckle made a pressure build up in her chest. She really didn't know why, though.

"The slum... What do you mean by the slum?" Madison asked, slightly confused. She hadn't caught herself beforehand, and wasn't too sure if this comment would even insult him, or in the very least bring something up that he really didn't feel like talking about.
Namira

Post by Namira »

Simon's lips curved into a slight smile at the next question. Madison must have misheard him...

"Well... when I say slump. I'm referring to this... phase, if you like, that I went through after what happened. I was in my room all day long, living on the internet and on games - sometimes both, what with the kinda stuff you can get nowadays. I started smoking, which I still haven't been able to kick, and that really sucks. Sometimes, things happen that affect you further down the road. It gets you down, but there's not a thing you can do about it except try and make it right in the here and now. I'm down to one every other day now, I think I'll be able to stop dead soon... it's just terrible... cuz sometimes I feel myself reaching for a ciggarette on automatic..." Simon coughed in a slightly embarassed fashion - almost trying to mask it. "Sorry, that wasn't entirely relevant. Well, to cut a long story short, I noticed how unhealthy I was getting, and put a stop to it, I took up running, and now I'm not a recluse any longer," Simon winked at Madison. "Looks as if I had an apititude for being nice all along eh?"

Smooth jackass...
Ciel†

Post by Ciel† »

Madison just giggled, nodding along with Simon. She had noticed his last comment with a wink tagged along for good effect, but she figured he was joking around with that. "Yes, I know. Smoking isn't that bad, though. Just very unhealthy. But... I've never even tried it, so I'm... not exactly an expert on it..." The old Madison began to show through again, her teeth biting down on her bottom lip.

"I can't imagine you looking overweight. I can see you smoking... but being fat just doesn't look like you... N-not to say that's a bad thing or anything, though. I just figured you... didn't like being like that. That was why you... changed, right?" Come on, Madi... don't get so jumpy now... he's a nice guy, and obviously with an open mind, so don't get so nervous. Madison patted down her icepack, laying it flat against her ankle. She tried to keep her smile, even though she wanted to wince slightly from the numbing cold coming from the pad. "So... uhhh... have you made any... f-friends since you got back in the game?" Madison asked up, trying to keep the conversation alive. Uhh... maybe that wasn't the best question to ask.
Namira

Post by Namira »

Simon understood how Madison couldn't quite see him as being fat, after all, right now, he was decidedly lean, and rather athletic. Simon hadn't liked how he looked either, so she was precisely right on that count. He'd been standing for a while, so he went over to one of the three batter chairs that were in the kitchen area, grabbed it, and set it up closer to the couch, before gratefully sitting down on it. While he still listened, Simon distractedly polished the lenses of his glasses, noting with disgust that they were rather dusty.

"Yeah, I just didn't look like me in the end, and I hated that. I tend to hold the view that you should be who you are... not who other people might want you to be. In this instance, that other person was inside my own head..." Simon again listened as Madison continued on to ask another question, which gave him cause to smile in a slightly embarassed fashion. "I can name about two, and one is sitting on that couch over there," Simon told her, with his smile becoming a little wider and more shy than embarassed. "You're fairly new in Southridge I know... I think I might have figured that anyway. Someone as nice as you must attract a lot of buddies..."

But... Madison is pretty shy, it looks anyway. That seems to suggest... we're very similar kinds of people...
Ciel†

Post by Ciel† »

Madison was unsure of how to actually answer that question. During her time in Highland Beach, she always tried to keep to herself, not to speak with anyone in the fear that she would be rejected. Of course, all of this practically changed when Lacus pulled her into the conversation she was having with Simon of all people. It wasn't like Madison had absolutely no friends.... well, that maybe true as far as Highland Beach and Southridge High School were concerned, but over in Sacramento, she had alot of friends. Well, most of THOSE friends were also Samantha's friends, but did any of that really matter? In this case... yes, that does matter, no matter how much Madison tried to say differently.

Madison sighed loudly, wrapping her arms. "Well... you'd be surprised, Simon... You're actually the first friend I've... actually made after I moved to Highland Beach. Well, the only GOOD friend I've made... Lacus could be considered a friend, even though I've only seen her once before. So I've only made two friend in Southridge." Madison sighed loudly, looking down at her chest. "And to think, I actually thought I was fine... Now I've noticed that is pretty much untrue." She frowned, one of her hands moving up to brush her brown locks of hair out of her face."
Namira

Post by Namira »

"Madison," Simon said seriously. "You are just fine how you are. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being shy. You've left your home, and you've come to a new school. It takes a while to adjust in the best of circumstances, and when you aren't the kind of person who makes friends easily, it means that time is a little bit longer." Simon smiled at her softly. "I think that you are fine. So never say it isn't true, okay?"

Looks as if she has some problems with her self-esteem. Keep working at it, she's a nice girl, heck, a nice young woman. Despite being shy, which, let's face it, you are too, Madison has a wonderful personality. You just gotta work for a while to bring her out of her shell.

Simon absently ran a hand through his hair, which had the total effect of making it just that little bit more messy. Simon had nice hair, but it was so messed up that combs quailed before it. Continuing to think deeply, Simon propped up his head on one arm, stroking his equally scruffy beard reflectively. That was wrong reason not to shave, stroking your chin didn't have quite the same effect...
Ciel†

Post by Ciel† »

Madison tried her best to smile(which actually worked very well in the end), just to reassure Simon. Besides, he was smiling, so she was compelled to do the same. He was trying his make Madison feel better, which was actually working. However, she still had the feeling that she wasn't good enough, and Simon would have to do alot of work to change that. She still nodded, and propped her whole body up. His words, while doing nothing to actually cheer Madison up completely, still made her feel better in a way that seemed completely irrelevant. So... Simon's the kind of person who likes to cheer people up... Hehe... you know, I could always imagine him being like that. Maybe he really can become my first actual friend in Highland Beach. What I don't understand is why he doesn't have many more friends to begin with. He seems... pretty social, or at least that's what I've been thinking all this time. I wonder why...

"T-Thank you Simon," she replied, giggling for entirely no reason at all. "You know how to cheer someone up when times are rough, don't you? I.. kind of like that about you." Her leg began to adapt to the cold coming from Madison's icepack, and her whole body seemed to warm up again. The feeling made the girl sigh softly, her right leg falling down slowly, trying it's best not to knock her left one over the side. Madison was beginning to become worried: What would her mother think if she knew that her daughter was at another boy's home? With this thought in mind, Madison could only reply to herself in one way: Screw mom. This is the first time in months that I smiled this much. I doubt she would mind anyway. I mean, after all, that was why we moved here. For me to get better.
Namira

Post by Namira »

Simon smiled and ran a hand through his hair nervously, then shrugged. "I guess it's just a knack... 'fraid that I tend to say what comes into my head. Good thing I have some natural tact..." that was true enough, Simon was fairly outspoken by nature, but luckily, saying what he was thinking often managed to resolve itself into just the right thing. It helped that he was not a particularly snide or malicious person.

Simon noticed her wince and shift around.
"How's your leg?" he asked, instantly attentive.

((sorry this is bad, have no muse and didn't want to keep you waiting any longer))
Ciel†

Post by Ciel† »

Madison looked down at her leg for a moment. "I... think it's getting better, but the cold from the pack seems to be doing a good number on my leg. I'm not too sure, but I think I sprained it. I can't really be too sure about that though." This, of course, is true. In fact, Madison wouldn't have the slightest idea what a sprain actually meant. She just took a wild guess, and hell if she knew if it was right or not. Hmm... I really want to know what I did to my leg. Is it just a bruise, or something... Oh, man... "Hey.... Simon." she spoke up, raising her eyes up to his. "You wouldn't mind taking a look at it, would you? I think you would know a thing or two about these types of things, right?"

You know, whenever I see Simon smile... I can't help but feel this tiny pressure in my chest. I think that I've... felt it before, but I don't know where.

Return to “Clifton Court”