Scapegoat

Southridge has an extensive campus, including a courtyard and many athletic fields, among other things. It's a common sight to see students roaming about the campus -- especially when they're supposed to be in class.
Cyco†

Post by Cyco† »

For a moment Jessa thought she was going to crack a smile, just seeing that priceless look on the boys face. Instinctively she took another drag from her cigarette to mask it, piping up for good measure after Mike.

"Eww, that kid's creepy..." This wasn't directed towards either of the boys really, just background noise. It occurred to her that she could rat Michael out and have a laugh at his expense if she did so before getting too involved with his story, but she decided against it; he was fun, gutsy, and fairly clever. Not that it seemed all that taxing for him to bluff his way around this guy, but still.

"You should call the cops. You need a phone?" she offerred, well aware that her battery had died earlier that afternoon as she dug through her purse. That meant that the big jock had roughly two seconds to dial 911 and explain what had happened.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Cyco. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
laZardo†

Post by laZardo† »

"No thanks, I got my own," Boxer replied politely as he pulled out his own cellphone from his letterman jacket pocket and started to dial. He definitely looked worried inside and out, but it wasn't too bad now that he'd managed to get to his ride before any real vandals did. Still, he'd have to park it back at home, and it wasn't in a nice part of town.

Keeping a cellphone on him wasn't exactly something he'd learned on his own. Knowing that their son did not possess grade-A intellect, his parents often saddled him - no pun intended - with a checklist of things to go through to make sure he could get to school prepared. It wasn't always perfectly followed but frequent memorization meant there were few errors these days. One of those errors being that sometimes he didn't realize when his cellphone was running low on batteries, and right now was one of those instances.

"Aww, man..." he replied after the phone cut off after a couple of rings. "Heh...uh...could I borrow yours?"

Boxer didn't quite figure Ric Chee for the culprit...though he figured Michael as even less of a possibility. Mike had a good reputation, how could he have done it among the whole team?

"Man...if I find out who did this I'm gonna bash their faces in..."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler laZardo. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Megami†

Post by Megami† »

Michael watched as Jessa offered Boxer her cell phone to call the police on and he politely refused before brandishing his own out of his jacket pocket. Sadly enough, after a few rings, Boxer's phone went dead. Michael frowned lightly as he watched Boxer. It wasn't a frown at the fact that he was calling the cops, just a fake frown for what the other student was going through. Ultimately, Boxer accepted Jessa's offer to use her cell phone. His muttered comment didn't really catch Michael offguard, and the blonde-headed boy shrugged nonchalantly.

"I don't blame you man," he replied, "I can't believe the asshole just walked off. I hope you got insurance or something, otherwise that's gonna be expensive to fix."

Poor guy.

He smirked inwardly as he consoled Boxer. This was all just too funny. The kid didn't suspect a thing, and he surely hadn't pegged Michael or Jessa for the culprits, especially since they were the ones out in the parking lot helping him out. He offered the other student an apologetic smile. After all, there really wasn't much he could do besides hang out at the scene of the crime until Boxer finally gave up and went home.

"At least they didn't steal any of your shit," he mused, "That'd be cause enough for cappin' somebody's ass."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Megami. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Cyco†

Post by Cyco† »

Jessa complied with Boxer's request as if it were actually worth anything more than a cheap laugh. His face-bashing comment didn't mean anything to her; she wasn't responsible, and even if she was, she was a girl. He wouldn't hit a girl.

She was getting bored and her mind began to wander, but she perked up when Michael mentioned that he couldn't believe the culprit just "walked off."

"Come on," she replied, solemn-faced but still glancing at Boxer for a second to see if it would just go completely over his head. "If it was you would you hang around and make yourself seem suspicious?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Cyco. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
laZardo†

Post by laZardo† »

As it happened, not only did Boxer take the phone, but like his own phone it died not long after he'd dialed 911. His hand briefly tensed its grip around the plastic and metal device, almost as if to crush it.

"Aww, dammit," he grumbled as he handed the phone back to Jessa, "I don't want anybody dead, but I gotta at least report this to someone. Who knows where this guy might strike next..."

Boxer was really a good kid, though perhaps his naivety was his biggest fault. His comrades on the football team could convince him to do almost anything, though killing someone outright was way out of the question for him.

"I don't think the criminal would return to the scene of the crime. He'd probably try to frame you guys as vengeance or something," the colossus replied. "There are a whole bunch of little guys 'round this school that could do that..." But as much as he could suspect any of the "victims," there always seemed to be one person he'd factor out first...

Eddie? Nah...couldn't be him. Definitely not him.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler laZardo. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Megami†

Post by Megami† »

The expression on Michael's face was one of feigned insult as Jessa asked him if he would hang around if he'd done something like the supposed culprit who busted out Boxer's window. Of course, Jessa already knew the answer to that question, and so did Michael, but still, it was fun to put on a show. He found himself frowning outwardly -- the only way to contain the wide grin that was threatening to well up inside him at the response.

"Of course I wouldn't walk off," Michael retorted, "Even if it was just an accident, I'd feel responsible for it. I'd be pretty pissed off if someone smashed up my truck. At the very least, I'd leave an insurance card or something. This guy just walked off scott-free."

He was laughing hysterically on the inside, but he looked calm and composed on the outside. Boxer really seemed to think that busting out the window hadn't been an accident on someone's part, but more of a plotted attack. Much like Boxer's own phone, Jessa's cell phone died as he attempted to call the police one more time. As Boxer voiced his concerns about reporting the incident once more, Michael frowned slightly, just for show.

"I'd offer to loan ya my phone," he voiced, "But I left it at home this morning."

Boxer continued speaking, but it sounded more like he was vocalizing his thoughts to himself than anything else. At the statement that there were a whole bunch of students around campus who seemed to be capable of doing something like this and framing someone else, Michael's ears perked up a bit.

Man, I'd completely forgotten about the whole bully card. But hell, those poor guys get enough grief from the football players as it is.

He knew that a couple of the football players were nothing but a bunch of bullies. Then again, every group of "jocks" had their bad apples, or whatever. At least, he supposed they did. In truth, Michael focused on himself far too much to care too much about what his teammates or the other athletes did around campus. It didn't really matter much to him.

"You don't think this was an accident?" Michael inquired lightly, "Somebody did it out of spite?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Megami. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Cyco†

Post by Cyco† »

Jessa scoffed as Boxer returned her phone, depositing it back into her purse. "You'd think they would've used the bat instead..."

She finished her smoke and let it fall on the pavement, making short work of the butt with the sole of her shoe. This wasn't turning out to be as entertaining as she thought it would be, most likely because Mike was a pretty good liar. She doubted the big idiot even remotely suspected him.

'I'm gonna count to three, and if someone doesn't throw a punch, I'm gone.

......3. Jessa has officially lost interest. Later boys.
'

"Well, I gotta meet someone," she shrugged, surveying the rear windshield one more time and scratching her temple. "Sorry about your car, pal. Hope you find the guy." Jessa glanced at Michael as she turned to head toward the school exit, one corner of her mouth curling into a smile and her eyes doing a quick up and down.

"See y'around, Mike."

((Continued in Round One, Fight Two; Lance vs. Jessa))
laZardo†

Post by laZardo† »

"Probably, man," Boxer replied worriedly. "Maybe whoever did this just batted it in and then dropped the ball in so it looked like an accident. Someone who hates the team and thinks I'm a fuckin' idiot that I won't be able to do nothin' about it."

He turned quickly to Jessa, who was leaving. "Could you get campus police to help me here? Thanks."

The giant never really figured that people would come after him first though. If there was one thing he actually knew, it was that he was pretty damn strong. Anybody who'd want to mess with him would have to do something in a way that he'd think it was someone else, and Michael had done that pretty well. After a bit of straining thought...

"It must be that Ric Chee guy. The bastard's been acting all evil ever since one of your teammates bashed his face in..." Boxer suddenly growled. His revenge mentality was probably half-expected given that he lived on the fringes of a community known for gang warfare.
Megami†

Post by Megami† »

"I don't know, man," Michael responded with a shrug, "Ric's always been pretty far out there, and since O'Cann smashed him in the face a while back, he's been even further gone. I just don't know what incentive he'd have to do something like this."

Michael shrugged his shoulders and mentally scanned through the information that he knew about Ric Chee. Unfortunately, that information was virtually nonexistent, but even the brief few sentences that came to mind would help him out. Part of him wanted to cancel the entire hoax and just announce himself as the culprit, but he really wasn't looking for a fight today.

"I wonder if he's got some vendetta against all the athletes since his little accident or something. I sure hope something comes up though, one person is way too many."

Michael was getting bored with this. Jessa had already lost interest and made her exit, presumably going to find that friend of hers she'd been waiting on when he dragged her into this whole affair. Now, Michael was rather tempted to do the same. Part of him was telling him that the best thing to do was stick it out and hang around with Boxer until the campus police got there or something, just so he didn't seem suspicious, but really, would a guilty man hang around the scene of the crime and talk to the victim?

"I should get outta here soon," Michael mused, "Homework and all that bullshit. I really hope ya find the guy though."

((Continued in Life is a Crowded Hallway))
laZardo†

Post by laZardo† »

"All right, cool," Boxer replied calmly, "I'll see ya 'round. If you find the guy first, come find me and we can take care of this." The guy was now dead certain Ric did it, and he figured that he didn't need Eddie to help him out with it.

He then turned to face his SUV, and stretched his arms forward to lean on it, taking a disappointed sigh. He could easily take care of Ric when it came to, but getting his car busted was like getting shot. It wasn't as if a busted windshield wasn't too hard to replace, but it was more that if it gotten stolen in his neighborhood, his parents wouldn't let that pass. Even worse was that despite the ball's fatal trajectory, he never really considered or remembered what he'd have to do if his car got busted into AND his cellphone wasn't working.

He decided to think about it as soon as he got home. He chucked his sports bag through the broken window and got into the driver's seat.

This was gonna be a long week.

((Boxer continued in Lunch Broken))

Return to “Southridge Campus”