Flames on the Blue

Open!

The footbridge is a raised section of boardwalk in a squared 'n' shape, that goes out into the river, running parallel to it before returning to shore. The footbridge is wide enough for bikes and people to comfortably walk side by side and there are benches at regular intervals allowing people to sit and enjoy the view.
Aura

Post by Aura »

This conversation was going in a new direction, and Saffron liked it.

Yeah, they never really hung out that much before, but they were really hitting it off here. Of course, there was also the fact that Katie was cute. Really, really cute. But even beyond finding her attractive, there was definitely something about Katie that Saffron liked, and her being the first one to come forward put Saffron a little more at ease regarding her own hopes for the conversation.

"You really want to see me dance?" Saffron was flattered, and she made no attempt to hide it. "You know, I'm allowed to bring guests to my recitals, so I can totally bring you." She grinned and gave Katie a flirtatious look. "And I want to go to the gym with you too. I'd love to see how you stay in such great shape."

Okay, she was already dipping into straight-up flirting now, so there was no point in wasting any more time. She looked down at her phone, then back up at Katie. "You know, since I already have my phone out, could you give me your number?" She didn't want to just drop that and leave it there, so she added some reasoning. "You know, so we can make plans, or maybe if you just want to talk."

There. Now it was out there. Saffron really did want to get to know Katie better, but now it was all up to what her response would be.
Pippi

Post by Pippi »

For a moment, Katie thought she would be able to maintain her composure, just about. Even with Saffron happily inviting her to her recital, all with an expression on her face that sent Katie's heart fluttering, she still managed to keep an eager smile on her face, slightly too eager if anything, and nodded emphatically at Saffron's words.

Then Saffron asked for her number, and Katie felt her brain short fuse, pack its bags, and fuck off to a completely different planet for a few seconds.

When it finally came back down to Earth, allowing her to feel the heat in her cheeks and the pounding in her heart, it cycled through a series of different thoughts, giving Katie no time to focus on any of them. The first thought was that, fuck yeah, her intuition had been right, Saffron had been flirting with her after all. The second thought was that, holy shit, she was being flirted with, right now, and as if like clockwork, she had completely fallen apart and been rendered to a blushing, flustered mess.

The third thought was the realisation that she'd been standing there with her jaw dropped for a good five odd seconds without saying anything.

Katie stammered something totally unintelligible, trying to reboot her brain, all the while blushing furiously, digging her hand into her pocket to try and find her phone.

"Oh, I, uh... sure! I mean, yeah! Uh, I mean, of course, uh..."

Her hand came back up, clutching both phone and lighter, and in her fumbling haste to unlock it, her lighter fell from her hands, clattering onto the floor. She winced at the sound, but didn't waste time in picking it up, instead scrolling through her contacts to find her own number. Even if she could remember it off the top of her head, she was pretty certain she wouldn't be able to recite it from memory right now.

"So, uh, my number's, uh..."

She rattled off the list of numbers, then looked back up at Saffron, with a nervous, excited grin.

Christ. She was hopeless, truly.
[+] V7
B006 - Stepney Cruz - DEAD - Dynasty decapitated, you just might see a ghost tonight - Mountain Bike - Localised - Catastrophe - Inferno
Pregame - Chill - Loss - Realm
Trip - Loved

G035 - Katie Agustien - DEAD - There's only two ways that these things can go, good or bad and how was I to know that all your friends won't hold any grudges, I got the final judgment - The World's Sharpest Knife™ - Dread - Skin - ieatnothing - Satisfaction - Tempest - Zero
Pregame - Vend-etta - Flames - Fleet - Monachopsis - Glitter
Trip - G҉ A҉ N҉ G҉

B028 - Aurelien Valter - DEAD - When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat, before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream - Spiked Mace, Glock 19, Min-Jae Parker's Crossbow - Nightmare - Bubbles - Neighbourhood - Tragedy - Make It - Fiend - Sleet - Love - Walls - Friends - Key - Everything - Gotta - Ghosts - Alone
Pregame - Shark - Heart
Prom - Link - Gradation - Ballare
Trip - Inferis - Scusare

B052 - Garren Mortimer - DEAD- Cut up and I can't feel my hands, no need to chase, can you relate, can you keep up the pace like you're dying for this? - Bryan Calvert's SPAS-12, Alligator tooth sword - Sky - Geek - Nation - No - Dilemma - Mauerbauertraurigkeit - Struck - Punishment - Énouement - Pain - Learn - lamb - Moves
Pregame - Rain
Trip - Life

Meanwhile
Lyra Doyle - Let's live tonight like fireflies, and one by one light up the sky - Pop!
Pregame - Evolution - Life - Lo Mein
Memories - Forward - Odds

Dean Puchero - By July you'd made a whole bunch of brand new friends, people you used to look down on, and you'd figured out a way to make real money - Phone - Angel
Pregame - Generation - Prince
Memories - Star
Prom - Sun - Luster
[+] The Past
V6
Bryony Adams - Burning bright until the end, now you'll be missing from the photographs
Astrid Tate - So what became of loving man, and what became of you?
Mia Rose - You can't understand that I won't leave 'til we're finished here, and then you'll find out where it all went wrong

V5
Owen Kay - I fold my tie and ribbon to hide my scars, that's how it starts
Amy Bachelor - Can you whisper, as it crumbles and breaks, as you shiver, count up all your mistakes
Francis St. Ledger - So a day when you've lost yourself completely could be a night when your life ends

V4
George Leidman (Adopted from Blastinus) - Now if we jump together at least we can swim far away from the wreck that we made
Beatrice - Jamie - Pippi - Tim - Ada - Tabby - Romeo - Lissa - Freddie - Trinity - Redd - Natalie - Kendra
[+] The Future
Boyd Adkinson - Ain't no surprise that I can't sleep tonight, my only vice is standing by your side
"bryony and alba would definitely join the terrorists quote me on this put this quote in signatures put it in history books" - Cicada Days, 2017
Aura

Post by Aura »

Oh yeah, Saffron's appraisal of Katie was definitely right. She was totally cute, and watching her fumble around with her phone was pretty adorable. She definitely made the right decision here.

She entered Katie's number into her phone, labeled it with her name, and saved it into her contact list. She wasn't quite done yet, though. She scrolled through her phone until she reached her own number and gave Katie a look to match her own enthusiasm. "And while we're here, I'll give you mine too."

Saffron read off her number for Katie, then double-checked with her to make sure that they got it right. And just like that, they had each other's numbers. A connection was established.

And all things considered, Saffron was very happy about this. Expanding her social circle was always something that she was more than glad to do, especially when it came to incredibly interesting people like Katie. She was sure that they could have some pretty interesting conversations together, and hopefully a little more than that. But maybe she was getting a little too far ahead of herself. For now she just had to see where things would go.

Saffron crouched and picked up the lighter that fell from Katie's hand while she had been busy with her phone and held it out to her. "Just making sure you don't lose this."
Pippi

Post by Pippi »

Katie's hands were shaking as she tried to enter Saffron's number into her phone, but by this point, she'd kinda done with caring that the other girl could see just how freaking excited she was. The stumbling over words and dropping her lighter on the ground had almost certainly shown that already. And hey, hopefully, if Katie had read this all right, Saffron would be just as excited.

She tapped the mobile number in, and when Saffron read it back, realised she'd put pretty much every all of the numbers in incorrectly. Second time was the charm, because she was concentrating so hard on typing it in correctly she almost forgot to breathe. And then, there it was. Saffron's number had been inputted, and her name had been added to the sparse list of Katie's contacts.

She looked down at the screen for a couple of seconds, still staggered at the implications of it, before she realised that Saffron was holding something out to her. She looked up to her see her little metal lighter, safely cradled in Saffron's hand. There was a brand new dink in the top left corner, one that looked like it wouldn't hammer smooth easily. She liked that lighter a lot. Normally this would be one of those things that added another drop to Katie's bottle of anger, one that could easily pop out the stopper if it was already full enough.

Not today, though, or rather, not any longer.

"Oh, uh..."

Katie quickly stuffed her phone back into her pocket, gratefully taking the lighter back and – god, she felt like such a goddamn sap – feeling her heart jolt as her fingertips brushed against Saffron's.

"Thanks."

The lighter went back into her other pocket, and now that Katie's hands were free, she suddenly had no clue what to do with them. She hung them loosely by her sides, but that felt awkward so she folded them, but that felt like it made her look confrontational, so she settled for scratching the back of her neck with one hand whilst her other arm hung next to her.

"So, uh... um... text me when it's your recital, yeah? I'm really looking forwards to it."

A pause.

"Oh! But, uh, feel free to, y'know, text me before that and... stuff."
[+] V7
B006 - Stepney Cruz - DEAD - Dynasty decapitated, you just might see a ghost tonight - Mountain Bike - Localised - Catastrophe - Inferno
Trip - Loved

G035 - Katie Agustien - DEAD - There's only two ways that these things can go, good or bad and how was I to know that all your friends won't hold any grudges, I got the final judgment - The World's Sharpest Knife™ - Dread - Skin - ieatnothing - Satisfaction - Tempest - Zero
Trip - G҉ A҉ N҉ G҉

B028 - Aurelien Valter - DEAD - When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat, before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream - Spiked Mace, Glock 19, Min-Jae Parker's Crossbow - Nightmare - Bubbles - Neighbourhood - Tragedy - Make It - Fiend - Sleet - Love - Walls - Friends - Key - Everything - Gotta - Ghosts - Alone
Pregame - Shark - Heart
Trip - Inferis - Scusare

B052 - Garren Mortimer - DEAD- Cut up and I can't feel my hands, no need to chase, can you relate, can you keep up the pace like you're dying for this? - Bryan Calvert's SPAS-12, Alligator tooth sword - Sky - Geek - Nation - No - Dilemma - Mauerbauertraurigkeit - Struck - Punishment - Énouement - Pain - Learn - lamb - Moves
Pregame - Rain
Trip - Life

Meanwhile
Lyra Doyle - Let's live tonight like fireflies, and one by one light up the sky - Pop!

Dean Puchero - By July you'd made a whole bunch of brand new friends, people you used to look down on, and you'd figured out a way to make real money - Phone - Angel
Memories - Star
Prom - Sun - Luster
[+] The Past
V6
Bryony Adams - Burning bright until the end, now you'll be missing from the photographs
Mia Rose - You can't understand that I won't leave 'til we're finished here, and then you'll find out where it all went wrong

V5
Amy Bachelor - Can you whisper, as it crumbles and breaks, as you shiver, count up all your mistakes
Francis St. Ledger - So a day when you've lost yourself completely could be a night when your life ends

V4
George Leidman (Adopted from Blastinus) - Now if we jump together at least we can swim far away from the wreck that we made
Beatrice - Jamie - Pippi - Tim - Ada - Tabby - Romeo - Lissa - Freddie - Trinity - Redd - Natalie - Kendra
[+] The Future
Boyd Adkinson - Ain't no surprise that I can't sleep tonight, my only vice is standing by your side
"bryony and alba would definitely join the terrorists quote me on this put this quote in signatures put it in history books" - Cicada Days, 2017
Aura

Post by Aura »

Saffron couldn't help but grin along with Katie. This was going way better than she had anticipated when she had decided to stop for a chat this evening. She had a feeling that she was going to be giving Katie a call very soon. Probably not tonight, but... well, she actually wasn't going to count that possibility out yet. A follow-up call that night probably wouldn't hurt, to see how she's dealing with the stuff at home that she talked about earlier. Or maybe that was something that they'd be better off talking about face-to-face? Yeah, maybe so. A call was still on the table, though. Katie was just nice to talk to in general.

So now their phones were put away, and Katie's lighter had been stashed away in her pocket as well. They had the numbers, and they had the connection, so now they just had to see where things would go.

Katie didn't seem too sure about what to do, and Saffron could definitely sympathize. The dancer seemed to be doing a slightly better job of not showing it though, standing by while Katie cycled through a variety of poses. Boy, she really wasn't a natural flirt, but Saffron wasn't bothered by that. Her earnest reactions were endearing.

"Yeah, I'll let you know ahead of time. Wanna make sure your schedule's clear, you know?" She crossed one arm over her chest while leaving her good hand free to rest her chin on. "But I'll definitely get back to you sooner than that. I feel like we'd have a lot to talk about."
Pippi

Post by Pippi »

God, Katie was on the verge of just rocketing up into the air or boring a hole straight down to China, she was shaking with so much excitement. She was so, so tempted to do something incredibly dorky to show just how fucking happy she was; like, like a thumbs up or a peace sign or anything along those lines. It wasn't as though she was exactly a paragon of staying cool and suave under pressure, after all. Saffron already knew she melted into a useless gay puddle as a reaction to the slightest bit of flirting.

She stayed still, however (aside from the excited shaking), and instead, gave Saffron a big beaming grin. Yeah, they'd definitely have a lot to talk about, so long as Katie didn't turn into a gibbering wreck whenever Saffron started flirting with her again.

"Yeah! Yeah, cool, I don't think I've got anything big coming up-"

Katie didn't actually have a clue off the top of her head, but she was going to damn well make sure she didn't have anything scheduled for the day of Saffron's recital.

"-But I'll let you know as soon as I double check my schedule. Oh, hey, and we gotta plan a time for you to come to the gym with me! I'm down for that pretty much whenever."

She bounced on her feet, grinning like mad. It felt brighter outside. Brighter and warmer, even though the sky was still grey and the water was rippling from the force of the wind.

"Anyways, um, I should probably be heading back home now. Don't want dad to make up some reason to be pissy at me, like that I was staying out too late in bad weather or something."

Katie paused for a moment, looking at Saffron's face with a smile transfixed on her own, before she turned to leave. Her arm was half-raised in a wave farewell, when she froze, and craned her head to look back at Saffron.

"Hey, um... Thanks," Katie said hesitantly, her smile much softer now. "Thanks for sticking around and talking. If nothing else, I appreciate that a whole bunch."

She turned and started walking away. After about seven steps, she froze again, before turning around fully, that same beaming smile back on her face, directed right at Saffron, the remaining light in the sky causing a little fuzzy glow to outline her head.

"And... God, I'm so excited to talk to you again tonight!"

Wait. Fuck, did she just say 'tonight'? She goddamn did, didn't she?

"O-Or later! Later whenever! Whenever works best for you!"

She ran off, face burning bright red.

((Katie Agustien continued in he let me set fire to a fleet of ships when no-one else would))
[+] V7
Trip - Loved

Trip - G҉ A҉ N҉ G҉

Pregame - Shark - Heart
Trip - Inferis - Scusare

Pregame - Rain
Trip - Life

Meanwhile

Memories - Star
Prom - Sun - Luster
[+] The Past
V6

V5

V4
[+] The Future
Aura

Post by Aura »

Saffron watched Katie dash off, and once the other girl was out of sight, she put her hands in her pockets and shook her head with a smile on her face.

"Yep, definitely cute."

Saffron began the long walk home, a cheerful song playing in her head.

(Saffron Fields continued elsewhere...)

Return to “Foot Bridge”