Tell No Tales

Late into Day 4, soon to be Day 5

A ways down from the main beach is the rusted remains of a large modern day freighter, lore suggesting it was downed by the joint efforts of a bad storm and a drunken captain. Although heavily rusted, it’s still accessible and could be a decent place to wait out a storm.
Fiori

Post by Fiori »

Sean?!? Oh fu-

Those were the last thoughts that went through Ruby's head before she found herself being shoved over the edge of the ship in the ice cold water bellow.

For a few seconds she remained there, floundering in the water out of confusion, until eventually she was able reach her head out and gasp for breath. Thankfully the water was deep enough that she didn't immediately break every bone in her body, although her landing could have been much more graceful. For the most part though, she was still very much alive, albeit freezing cold and extremely shocked.

Of course, that wasn't the biggest problem on her mind at that moment in time. No, that would have to be the fact that her gun was missing.

Fuck fuck fuck, shit, FUCK!

She took a deep breath and dove beneath the water again, feeling around the floor looking desperately for her weapon. Damnit, why did she keep an eye out for that psychotic pirate! She was so busy thinking about herself and Ami that she failed to take notice of Captain Long John Mad-as-a-motherfucking-hatter until he was able to whisper into her ear.

Eventually she was able to find it, although whether or not it still worked was a completely different question. As much as she wanted to test it out on the boy who just screwed her over, in the distance she could see something that reminded her as to why she was so concerned in the first place.

Ami? Why are you... Oh shit.

"Ami, wait!" she croaked, although her voice was barely audible. With barely seconds to spare she began to helplessly swim towards the beach, a task made all the more difficult with the heavy submachinegun in her hands. Despite her best efforts however, by the time she had made it to the beach Ami was already long gone.

"Fuck... Fuck fuck fuck fuck FUCK!"

Hardly taking any notice of the other people on the beach, Ruby immediately ran into the woods, desperately trying to catch up with her frightened friend.

Not realising of course that it was already far too late for her to do so.

((Ruby Forrester continued in Waiting for the Reaper))
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Fiori. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

The ship was about as well maintained on the inside as it was on the outside. Gray had no idea how long it had been beached the way it was, but if he was going to take a guess, he'd have said a long time. The ship was dark too, Gray had expected that though plus he had his torch and Corey had his. He moved through the doorway of the room he had been in and out into the corridor.

Gray had never been on a ship before, let alone exploring the bowels of one. Now he had to do both for the first time, in the dark. He rubbed his neck; the ship was pretty creepy too. The way the torch ended up lighting it made shadows dance across the surfaces and everyone so often Gray had to stop and check he hadn't actually seen anything.

One time though, he did see something, and red wasn't a natural colour for the floor of a ship. Stepping closer Gray shone the torch over where the blood was coming from. There was a body. He stepped closer; he carefully stepped around the main blood puddle but gave up on avoiding the blood splatters that were all over the floor. Someone had put a cardigan over the top of the body. Bending down Gray lifted it up. He closed his eyes and let it drop back down. He guessed the body had been a girl before, but it was hard to tell.

He stood up and sighed. This trip to the beach just got worse and worse the more they explored. Gray pushed on though, there was still a chance someone was still alive on the boat. Especially since the body he'd just found seemed to be more recent than the ones on the actual beach. At least, he'd guess as much since the smell and blood colour was different. Not that Gray was an expert or anything.

"There's another body here." He whispered back to Corey, pointing to where it was with his flashlight.

He turned and pressed on through the ship. Eventually Gray found some stairs and moved topside.

Once he got up onto the deck he wished he hadn't. Sean was standing on the deck and he was covered in blood. Gray breathed.

"Holy shit Sean."
V8
Aracelis Fuentes
California “Cali” Fox
Darryl Smith Jr.
Jessica Romero
Roberta “Robbie” Woodvine
[+] V7
G047 - Aliya Kimia Nemati - Blowgun w/ 10 Poison Darts - you're nobody till somebody kills you - "I just wanted to talk." - DEAD
G001 - Arizona Butler - Camping Stove - Dead Bxdies in the Lake Part II - ""We got there eventually." - DEAD
B046 - Bret Carter - Weighted Net - Swerve - "I'll just be on my way and we can all continue with our evenings." - DEAD
G022 - Forrest Quin - Ball-gag and handcuffs - DRUGS SAV3D MY LIF3 - "Abe-" - DEAD
CondorTalon

Post by CondorTalon »

Yo this is like some SCP shit.

It was funny how your mind when the most random places in the most unexpected situation. The inside of the ship was dark enough that Corey had to step carefully lest he tripped on god knows what and hit his head hard on the ground, or worse, get his clothes wet.

At some point, in what could have been an engine room or a maintenance room, Corey found a section of pipe that was cracked from the rest. He carefully broke it off, having to avoid the whatever it was that spilled forward.

Gray had found a body. Corey tried to avoid looking at it straight on when Gray lifted the cover.

Soon after, Gray found a door leading to the top...

...and there was Sean covered in blood.

"Holy shit Sean."

Corey stared. He had to say something to him, to his friend that he'd been looking for. He needed something to follow up.

"I... second what he said."
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

Sean's jolting reaction to hearing the voice was to jump halfway out of his skin, turn to where he thought it had come from, and then see the source with his own eyes. Given that the mere act of addressing him had scared him half to death, it was quite apparent that he wasn't ready for the presence of any other living creature on the rusted-out remains of the ship. Yes, he had been taking by surprise and, Sean admitted, if Gray thought that he had just gotten the best of the captain of the freighter, well... he'd be right.

Just as soon as he realized he was truly shocked, Sean was already on the fast track to calming down. Gray... Gray and Corey. Two rats what crawled out of the woodwork; he never would have imagined he'd be seeing them aboard his ship, not today and not ever. They seemed to be just as surprised to run into him, gawking at him with wide-open eyes and slackened jaws. Captain Mulcahy truly had made something of himself through this island. It was a hellhole, no denying that, but it turned swabbies into swashbucklers, crappies into captains. He was still alive, the last remnant of his crew. The captain was the toughest of the whole lot - that's the way it should have been.

The two were just... staring, though. Sean went from feeling shocked to delighted, then to confused... and now the atmosphere had switched to awkward and uncomfortable all over again. It was all a much, much more mild version of when Ruby had called him out for the announcements talking about Aria. For just a second, Sean tried remembering when that was. Was it... really minutes ago? It felt like months, years even that everything had fallen apart, and even longer that everything had been going just fine. The crew was happy and merry, ready to survive all the seas threw at them and their fine ship.

In just a few days, they had lost everything. Everything except Sean; the captain had not yet lost itself. No, he had not lost himself and he hadn't lost his ship. She was here, and he was with her. Now, a couple of old faces joined him! instead of happiness, instead of song and dance, they just sort of... stared.

"What?" Sean asked, forgetting to put on his accent a moment in his bout of genuine confusion. What had them bothered so much? They weren't there when he pushed Ruby over the edge... there's no way. There was a good ten seconds or something like that between the two events, though he also had to confess keeping track of time wasn't really his strong suit right now. He looked around for something else, then. The deck was clear, no signs of scuffle. Out of sight, out of mind. What-

Blood. He was caked in blood. Not to mention the pile of bodies on the beach that they no doubt encountered, and... the something... that was in the ship. The nothing. Didn't exactly take a genius to see how it all added up. Sean tried a weak giggle to lighten the matters, but to no effect. Not for him, not for anybody.

"So, uh, tell me lads," a bit of the seafaring slant returning to his voice. His hand twitches and scratched at his side. "If I were to tell yeh that this be not what it looks like... wouldja believe me?"

Silence.

"Aye, I didn't think so."

Sean drew his gun and aimed.
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

Gray listened to what Sean had to say, he was doing that pirate accent he had sometimes done back at school at Aurora. It wasn't funny or friendly anymore though. There was an edge to it. It wasn't the Sean Gray had known back at Aurora, something had happened and Gray had a feeling it had something to do with the body that was covered up in the ship.

Any other thoughts Gray had would have to wait though; because Sean was aiming a gun at him and Corey. Gray froze. This wasn't Sean, or maybe now it was one way or another though Gray didn't exactly have time for philosophy.

He didn't move an inch.

"Sean we're friends. Put the gun down man." He looked up and down at the boy he used to consider a friend. "Just tell us what happened."

The other option Gray had available was to pull out his own gun, which would have just made everything worse. Instead Gray settled for the same tactic he'd used back in Aurora. He stayed calm. He just hoped it worked better this time than it had when he'd done the same thing to Adonis. There were much higher stakes this time after all.
V8
Aracelis Fuentes
California “Cali” Fox
Darryl Smith Jr.
Jessica Romero
[+] V7
G047 - Aliya Kimia Nemati - Blowgun w/ 10 Poison Darts - you're nobody till somebody kills you - "I just wanted to talk." - DEAD
G001 - Arizona Butler - Camping Stove - Dead Bxdies in the Lake Part II - ""We got there eventually." - DEAD
B046 - Bret Carter - Weighted Net - Swerve - "I'll just be on my way and we can all continue with our evenings." - DEAD
G022 - Forrest Quin - Ball-gag and handcuffs - DRUGS SAV3D MY LIF3 - "Abe-" - DEAD
CondorTalon

Post by CondorTalon »

That's a rather bold assumption you're making of us, Sean.

...is what he wanted to say.

He didn't though. Partly because he was now looking down the barrel of a gun, and didn't feel that smart-mouthing was a good idea.

The other was that Gray had already had already started talking. Gray had it.

He hoped.
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

"You know, Gray..." Sean said, a grin crossing his lips. "I believe the word you're lookin' for is... parley?" He resisted the urge to laugh out loud to his own joke. The gun remained aimed, Gray remained looking apprehensive, Corey remained off to the side like he had always been, a non-entity. Most importantly, Sean remained in power. That was how it should have all been all this time, he should have had everything under control.

The hand holding the gun steadied, then lifted. The barrel, which had just been pointed in Gray's direction a moment before in a cloud of fear and shock, was pointed briefly at the sky in a moment of confusion, the tangibility of which was scrawled on Sean's face for the two of them to read. His eyebrows knitted underneath the hemline of his bandanna, speckled with the same dark bits of red that his shirt had been stained with until it dried and faded to a crusty brown.

"The heck was I thinking..." Sean muttered to the deck of the ship. He tucked the gun into his back pocket and spread his arms, smiling at the two once more. "Ha, you're right. Welcome aboard, lads! This here be my vessel! You like it?"

Sean turned all around to look at every inch of the slanted deck of the freighter. It had seen better days; he thought the very same thing when he first discovered the ship so many mornings ago. It probably wasn't getting any better with time. The sky wasn't looking much friendlier either. Rough seas ahead? Probably. If he could regather his crew, and quickly, maybe he could steer clear of this storm. Live to repeat the cycle all over again.

At least it was still living.

"Was thinking maybe we could start a new crew, eh? With me as captain, of course. Whaddaya say, lads!?"
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

The gun was lifted up away from him and pointed at the sky. Gray gave a sigh of relief inwardly. He stayed on edge and watching though in case Sean raised it again. He was relieved when Sean tucked it away. No one was going to get shot. It was a whole weight off Gray's shoulders; he hadn't wanted to have one of his friends get shot so soon after meeting them again, either Sean or Corey.

Sean reverted back to his pirate accent and talked about the freighter, calling it his ship. Gray humoured Sean and looked around the deck of the ship he had claimed. It was a wreck; the freighter had probably been in much better shape long before they had been dropped off on the island to fight to the death. As for the current day? It was a rusted wreck, like a bike that had been left outside to long. It had been battered by the elements and showed the marks off every single rainy day or hard wave.

Sean spoke about starting a new crew and Gray shook his head without hesitation. That was a no go. Gray could see Sean was close to the edge and he wasn't going to enable him or his fantasy.

"No can do Sean. I think we need to get you off this boat and away from this beach." Gray took a quick look out over the beach; he could just about make out the bodies. Truth be told, he didn't want to be on the beach anymore either. The whole place had been a graveyard since they had arrived. He looked back at Sean.

"Come on man."

He missed out the part where he melodramatically said 'Let me help you.'
V8
Aracelis Fuentes
California “Cali” Fox
Darryl Smith Jr.
Jessica Romero
[+] V7
CondorTalon

Post by CondorTalon »

"Gray's right. We shouldn't stay here for too long, especially with... the bodies down there."

Sean was going into his whole pirate schtick. Corey didn't really understand. This wasn't a time to be joking around, even though Corey had a strong suspicion that Sean was anything but joking.

"At least, I don't want to stay here for too long. Kyran's still alive, so is Claire. I want to find them too, and I'm not waiting on the slim chance that they come here."

Corey took a step forward. He had been behind Gray this whole time; he felt he needed to move forward.

"Sean... what happened down there? Do you... do you know?"
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

"Would you both just shut up!?" Sean shrieked. His voice wasn't ready for the sudden change in volume, cracking under the strain. All of his muscles had tensed from the suddenness of his scream, his neck aching and his forehead hot. He didn't want to hear about what happened below, or what was beyond the confines of his ship out on the beach. Why couldn't they just play along!?

Sean turned around, removing the pistol once more from the holster that was his back pocket. "I don't..." Sean took a moment to clear his throat past the visible shaking, and returned to a damaged farce of his confident, seafaring vociferation. "I don't be havin' any ideas what yer talkin' about! There be no bodies on the ship, just an able bodied crew! O'course, if you don't want to serve..." Sean jerked his hand out, pointing to the open ocean.

"There's yer ticket out, boys. Ye be workin' for me, or it's straight to the locker with you!"
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

Suddenly Sean exploded. Gray tensed, just when it looked like everything was under control it had gone right back to being messed up. Then he drew the pistol again. Gray had quickly gone from never having a gun pointed at him, to having the same gun pointed at him twice, within the same conversation. His hand almost went for his gun but he caught himself. Escalating the situation wasn't going to work, that much was clear. Sean was committed to whatever game he had decided to play, even if he had been mentally broken by it.

He was flat out lying about the lack of a body on the ship, both Gray and Corey had seen it and Gray guessed from the way Sean was talking he knew about it too. He was just trying to repress it. He'd slipped back into his pirate voice as well. It must have been his way of coping. For a moment though they had managed to make him drop the facade. Gray stood his ground, trying his best to keep his breathing steady and his eyes focused on Sean.

He'd built up a reputation as the laid back one of their group, even more so than Kyran. There was a reason for that. He never worried or stressed about anything, because on the whole things always ended up working themselves out. His dad had never been worried about getting another job when he'd gotten fired. So Gray never worried about his future. He'd had one goal, become a pro skateboarder. He was set on achieving it. Now...well there had been a change of plans, now his one goal was living to see the next sunrise and he really wanted to see the sunrise again. Just like he'd seen it rise in the park when he was a kid, or from the passenger seat of Kyran's truck when they went to the beach to surf, or seen it rise when he skated to school knowing the only real reason he was going was to see his friends.

That was the reason he wanted to see the sunrise again. That was why he had to make Sean come back to Earth, no matter how much the landing was going to hurt him.

He kept his eyes locked with Sean's as he spoke. "What happens if we say no and leave Sean? You can't be a captain without a crew, can you?"
V8
Aracelis Fuentes
California “Cali” Fox
Darryl Smith Jr.
Jessica Romero
[+] V7
CondorTalon

Post by CondorTalon »

Once again Corey found himself speechless, as he staggered back from Sean's sudden outburst. This was bad. Sean had gone way over the line now. Finding him might not have been such a good thing.

It might not have been such a good thing at all.

They needed to bail. Corey felt stuck, and he needed out right now. The problem was that Sean, with his gun, probably wasn't going to let them just walk out. And Corey didn't feel like going for a swim.

He balled his hands into a fist. If Sean wouldn't stop...

Corey didn't know what then. But he couldn't do nothing.
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

What happens if they go away? That was a simple question, wasn't it? Sean thought he had made it loud and clear to them that he wasn't going to allow it. Who cared about ifs? Those were hypothetical situations that wouldn't come up. He wouldn't let them. After all, the threat of what would happen if they tried was...

The gun remained pointed, but the wrist shook. No, something was wrong with all of this. If he killed Gray and Corey, then he wouldn't have any chance at having a crew. He couldn't have that. But if he didn't kill them, he wouldn't have a chance at having a crew. But they couldn't walk away, because the threatening was supposed to be his insurance against that. Everything went back on itself, showing him ending scenarios in which nothing ended in victory.

"But I... then you, I mean... we could just... you can't!" Sean babbled on. The heat in his cheeks and in his forehead constantly rose. Just looking at Gray and Corey was now frustrating to him, thinking that they could pull this stupid card trick on him. He was a pirate, a brave warrior and plunderer of the sea. They were going to make a fool of him?

Sean pointed the gun up at Aria's face, chomping on his lower lip until he couldn't bear the pain any more.

"Y-Y-You..."

The barrel jerked to Sara's face just off to the side of that rusted over doorway.

"You b-babysitting... b-bast..." Sean hung up on the word, saying it in his head millions and millions of times over but unable to say it as something that his tongue had never formed. His eyes followed the path of his gun, darting back and forth between faces that had betrayed him, or faces that hadn't. Right now, he wanted to make them all go away.

He decided to do so with one bullet.

Sean squeezed his eyes shut and pressed the pistol to his own head.
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

Sean's arm started to shake. Gray could only feel relieved at that. It meant something he had said had gotten through and sometimes that one bit of doubt was enough. He'd seen it before when people went for big jumps or hard tricks that one moment of hesitation they had cost them and they normally stacked it or bailed.

It wasn't close to the same situation, but Gray still saw the signs. When Sean started speaking it was all but confirmed. He stumbled over his words and didn't make any sense. He pointed the gun wildly between Gray and Corey but Gray held his ground. If Sean hadn't shot them yet then it became less likely every second.

What Gray didn't expect however was for Sean to go back to pointing the gun at his own head. So the good news, the gun wasn't pointed at him anymore. Bad news, Sean was about to kill himself.

"Sean think for a second." Gray said. He searched through everything that he'd seen and heard. Searching for something he could use to stop Sean from putting a bullet in his head. He hated to fall to what was the equivalent of an emotional gut punch but as things were he needed something that would quickly bring Sean back from his insanity before the worst happened. It just looked like the only way to do that with Sean was to shock him into listening.

"If you shot yourself you'd be a coward and pirates aren't cowards."

Gray had never hated himself more.
V8
Aracelis Fuentes
California “Cali” Fox
Darryl Smith Jr.
Jessica Romero
[+] V7
CondorTalon

Post by CondorTalon »

And then the unthinkable happened, and Corey found himself losing grasp on his comprehension of the situation.

Everything was moving too fast for him to process, and he felt as if his mind was being gripped by a haze. His vision began to blur at the edges, becoming an indistinct blotch of a color he couldn't pinpoint.

It occurred to him that he'd been standing with his knees locked for quite a while now.

As he staggered back and landed onto his rear, he vaguely wondered if he'd just made the situation ten times worse.

Then he had to clutch his head to stop the numbness.

Return to “Drowned Freighter”