Motown Never Sounded So Good

Essentially, the first level of the Promenade could be described as the 'tween' floor. Any time after 3 PM on a school day, it's all but infested with young kids and not-quite-teenagers. Prominent stores on this floor are places like Banana Republic, Claire's, Hot Topic, and Please Mum.
Ares

Motown Never Sounded So Good

Post by Ares »

Daniel Kensrue strode into the mall with a purpose. It had taken almost a year of working odd jobs and saving up his money but he finally had enough money to make the one purchase he'd been looking forward to since the first time he laid eyes on one.

Blowing past all the tweener stores, Dan went straight into Long and McQuade's Music Store and pointed at the 2007 4 String MusicMan Stingray, natural finish, white pearloid pickguard, humbucking pickup, maple neck and headstock.

"I'm here to pick up that one." He said with a satisfied smile.

The clerk nodded and grabbed the step-stool. He quickly stepped up and gently grabbed the bass guitar down from the wall mount, removing the "On Hold" tag from around the neck. He handed the bass to Dan as he stepped down.

"Feel free to plug it in while I go get the case from the back." The clerk said opening the Employees Only door and disappearing.

"Fuck yes..." Dan whispered to himself as he fished a pick out of his pocket and plugged the Stingray into a nearby Marshall bass amp.

There was a moment of silence as Dan chose what song to break in the bass with.

"Ah what the hell," He said casually, "May as well make it some Streetlight."

With a strum to the E string and a quick slide, DK broke into 'Everything Went Numb' by Streetlight Manifesto.
Stuff. Things. Stuff and things.
Namira

Post by Namira »

((Jessie Anderson continued from: Keep Your Head Down))

((I suck big time, sorry Dan.))

It had been a hectic day at school for Jessie, and she needed to let her hair down a little. She'd managed to cram everything into her schedule, at the expense of her lunch hour, and had headed to the mall to grab a bite to eat afterward. Once Jessie had done that, she figured relaxing a little wouldn't hurt. At the mall though, that was limited to going skating (which Jessie had had quite enough of today), or shopping.

Well, that was a no-brainer then, wasn't it?

The question was of course, where to go... Hm... Jessie hadn't checked out the bands she liked for a while - maybe she could look and see if there were any new albulms out? It sounded like a plan. Jessie headed for the music store she preferred; Long and McQuade's, but was surprised to hear the sound of a guitar being played drifting out of it. Jessie stepped inside, spotting one of her classmates there, the source of the sounds.

It was Daniel Kensrue, a guy that Jessie knew fairly well from when they had both been playing hockey. Unfortunately, he'd been injured back in Junior year, and had to hang up his skates in favour of his golf clubs. It was a shame really, but at least Dan could still do one of the sports he enjoyed. Better than nothing right?

Jessie stood in the doorway for a few moments, listening to Dan play a little more. He was pretty good, and it was the sort of music she liked, although she hoped he didn't mind... then again, he was playing in the middle of a store. Jessie smiled at Dan and gave him a tentative thumbs up, letting him know she wasn't just trying to stalk him or something like that.

Let's see then, what have we got?
Ares

Post by Ares »

DK looked up from his playing for a split second to see Jessie Anderson stroll into the store, smile and give him a thumbs up. A small touch of butterflies hit Dan's stomach as he flashed a grin back at her. Jessie had never been one of the most stunning girls at Bayview, but she was still an attractive girl. One of the standout features being her sky blue eyes. They were the kind of eyes that could light up a dark room instantly.

Dan wrapped up the song as the clerk returned with the case for his new bass.

"Thanks." DK mumbled as he put the bass gently into the case.

Dan picked up the case and walked to where Jessie stood in the doorway.

"Ms. Anderson..." DK said doing an Agent Smith from the Matrix impression.

Way to open up smooth Danny boy..

"What brings you to the mall today?"
Namira

Post by Namira »

The reference made Jessie giggle a little. She was sure that the other Anderson in the year - David, had had to deal with that kind of impression aimed at him, but DK's joke had been the first time she'd heard it. Jessie knew him to be a pretty funny guy - definitely good company. She still felt sorry for him though. Asides from the knee injury keeping DK from sports, Jessie also knew that he had recently had to split up with his girlfriend, as she'd been forced to move away. That kind of thing was pretty saddening, and Jessie hoped DK was bearing up alright.

"Just a bit of relaxation really," Jessie replied to DK's question. "Today's been kinda hectic, so I thought it'd be nice to hang out a bit. You know, get something to eat, check out the music store - that kind of thing."

Jessie smiled, looking at the case for DK's brand new guitar - he was obviously pleased with his new purchase, and watching him play had been a nice experience for her.

"So, have been playing the guitar for long? That last tune sounded, uh..." Jessie looked down, all of a sudden feeling a little bit shy. "It was really good!"
Ares

Post by Ares »

"Oh jeeze. Umm, I've been playing off and on since I was 12. Just messing with my dad's basses when he wasn't home. I would say though that I've been playing, dedicated, for about 2 years now. Rehabbing my knee gave me a bunch of time just sitting around doing nothing, so I figured, what the hell?"

There was a bit of a silence. DK knew that Jessie was a fellow hockey player and she'd sympathize with a knee injury like he'd suffered. Breaking the silence Dan spoke again.

"Hey, if you haven't grabbed a bite to eat yet, I'll treat for a slice of Pizza at Mrs. Vanelli's if you want? I ended up getting some change from what I payed for this guitar, so may as well but it to good use eh?"
Namira

Post by Namira »

Was that... an invite? Jessie blushed again, mostly because she wasn't used to being asked out anywhere, at least not by guys. Sure, she had already eaten, but DK didn't know that, and it had only been a bit of a snack.

Plus... DK was pretty cute, wasn't he?

"If you're paying, then it would be rude to refuse," Jessie replied with a grin. Truth was, even if DK hadn't offered to pay, Jessie probably would have gone along.

Easy now, he's just broken up with his girlfriend remember? He's probably just being friendly.

Jessie always worked to try and do the nicest thing, and in this case, the nicest thing was probably to keep her distance, even though she did like DK. He probably wasn't in the emotional mood for a relationship anyhow... and after all, he was just a nice guy. They knew one another, nothing weird about a guy taking a friend of his to get something to eat, right?
Ares

Post by Ares »

((OOC: Hooray for the legendary one-line post!))

"Fair enough," DK said with a slight chuckle, "Let's go get us some pizza."

(DK continued in It's Dating Time!)
Namira

Post by Namira »

Wow.. did I just get myself a date!?

That was awesome. Of course, Jessie had quite a few friends due to the fact she was so good natured, but it was rather infrequently that she was asked out. It wasn't something she got particularly upset about, but all the same, actually being taken for a meal was something to get at least a little excited for.

Easy now, he's just taking you for something to eat, it's nothing serious. Nothing serious...

Despite her saying this to herself, Jessie couldn't help but let a grin spread across her face as she followed DK out of the store.

((Jessie continued in It's Dating Time!))

Return to “Level One”