Shot in the dark

Open

The gym is a large, wide-open space where the athletic teams ply their trade. Retractable bleachers line the south wall, and the space is large enough that a portable wall can separate the gym into two for the use of gym classes. Basketball nets are present at each end of the gymnasium, and the walls show off the many pennants that the school has won over the years.
Arscapi†

Post by Arscapi† »

Marion walked quietly next to Jason and rolled her eyes at the new drink machine. "See it's things like this that bother me," she said as Jason retrieved his drink from the machine. "While this machine is better than the ones they had. The old ones didn't waste nearly enough energy as all the lighting in this hallway. I mean if they just replaced half of them with the energy efficient ones we'd be saving enough energy to fuel half the city. But no they worry about how cool are drinks are kept," she shook her head and let out a long-suffering sigh. "Anyway, let's take a different point of view on this article. You don't play basketball, but do you follow it? What do you think our teams chances are?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Arscapi. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Zabriel†

Post by Zabriel† »

Jason shrugged a little as he accepted his drink from the uncaring machine. He didn't really understand any of how energy worked, either how much was used or how the city produced it. He supposed that the machine could probably do without the lights, since they really didn't help anything out, and it wasn't as though anybody couldn't see what they were doing without the machine light. The hallways were lit brightly enough that the machine light was only necessary when the lights were out, which was when nobody was there, since they activated through motion detection.

"I don't really know much about any of that. So I can't say. But I kinda follow basketball, enough so that I can keep up with what the guys are talking about in the off-season. We've had a strong program for a long time. The team we're going up against hasn't. In the past they've sucked really bad, last year they finished bottom of the conference. But they got a new coach this year and the JV moved up. The JV had some great players, they just couldn't work together. The coach got them working as a team with some crap he stole out of a Disney movie and now they're dominating. Like a Cinderella story or something. They've built up a lot of momentum. Morale can carry you a long way. Our guys just gotta keep their heads up fight it out the best they can. It's gonna be a really good game that could go either way."

Jason opened the bottle and tapped out a couple of tablets. He popped them into his mouth, closed the pill bottle, and opened his drink. He took a generous swig to wash the pills down and replaced the cap. He handed the aspirin back to Marion.

"Thanks."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Zabriel. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Arscapi†

Post by Arscapi† »

"Welcome," Marion said with a smile, accepting the bottle. "But you see you made my point. Very few people actually take the time to know about this stuff, like it's not important or something. But what we're talking about is whether or not our planet can survive."

As she talked she put her backpack down and slipped the aspirin into a side pouch, then pulled out a small tablet to record the basketball information.

"About basketball, that's great, I'll definitly have to pick your brain some more. Although, I think I'll leave out the part about calling the other team a Cinderella story. That kind of puts our team in the," she paused taking a breath and searching for the word. "Role of the ugly step-sisters I guess. Something I'm sure I'll catch flack for. Course that would be a feat for me, to get in trouble for an article I was assigned because I am in trouble."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Arscapi. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Zabriel†

Post by Zabriel† »

Jason shrugged, noting her comments about peoples' general ignorance. Not having a good retort, he continued on basketball. "It's a pretty common sports term. Though you might have a point, since you're writing for the school and not a more mixed audience. People want to read Pro-Bayview stuff, because it's all about school spirit and that. Well, there's probably a few out there that don't care, the kind that barely know our mascot and forget that we have a fight song."

He chuckled a little. "What's a smart girl like you doing in trouble? Dumb guys like me get in trouble. What'd you do to get yourself in trouble?"

((Sorry I haven't posted in a bit, school's had me super busy))
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Zabriel. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Arscapi†

Post by Arscapi† »

(No problem, I understand)

Marion shrugged. "I'm not all that smart. I have to keep up my grades, otherwise I'm out of dance and jiu-jitsu. I'm sure you're under the same pressure with football. What are your grades like? And to answer you're question, technically, I'm not in trouble. Our faculty advisor decided that I needed to broaden my horizons," she said making little air quotes. "He said that I was a wonderful writer, but he feels that as a reporter I should write about something besides the numorous wastes in the cafetorium. I think he's just pissed that he keeps actually having to deal with the issues I bring up."
Zabriel†

Post by Zabriel† »

Jason looked at his feet and kicked at the ground. "Uhm passing? Mostly. I get a lot of C's. Some D's. I'm just not very good at the school thing. I'm better with my hands. Pretty good at fixing cars. That's about it really. Numbers make my head hurt, and my memory isn't all that good." He shrugged and nodded.

"I think people should do things that they're good at and know a lot about. When you make people do stuff they don't want to do you just get a half-assed job that nobody is happy with. They should find somebody who's more interested in sports to write about this kind of thing."

He uncapped his drink and raised it to his lips again. The tea was sweet. Probably sweeter than it needed to be, but that was true of a lot of things. He didn't mind that much. He liked sweet. It was easier to drink that way, even if his body punished him for it later.

((My laptop is kinda broken, so when I get back to school I'll be away for a bit, until they get it repaired. Just letting you know up front))
Arscapi†

Post by Arscapi† »

"I think people should do things that they're good at and know a lot about. When you make people do stuff they don't want to do you just get a half-assed job that nobody is happy with. They should find somebody who's more interested in sports to write about this kind of thing."

"I agree with you up to a point, but how do you know if your good at something unless you've tried it. My mom enrolled me in dance, which I though I'd hate, but now I really enjoy it," Marion commented as they walked down the hall. "Although ballroom dancing isn't as helpful a skill as fixing up cars. I can't even use it at the prom. So is that what you're planning on doing after high school, working in a garage? I'm going on to college to study environmental science, big surprise there right."
Zabriel†

Post by Zabriel† »

Jason nodded. He liked garage work, and he was good at it.

"I've been apprenticing at the local garage. It's nothing glamorous, but the pay is good and I don't have to do the whole college thing. Like I said, I'm not really so good at school, so this will be good for me."

Jason reached up to scratch his neck while opening his mouth to say something else. Then he closed it. He tried to think for a moment and realized he'd completely forgotten what he was going to say. His face contorted into a look of mild frustration.

"I had something, then I lost it. Don't you hate when that happens? Like you forget something you thought of like three seconds ago? So annoying..." he thought a bit more, hoping it would come back. "Nope. Completely lost my thoughts."
Arscapi†

Post by Arscapi† »

"I had something, then I lost it. Don't you hate when that happens? Like you forget something you thought of like three seconds ago? So annoying..." he thought a bit more, hoping it would come back. "Nope. Completely lost my thoughts."

Marion laughed and tucked a stray strand of hair behind her ear. "I do. In my family we've taken to calling them Dory moments. You know after the fish in Finding Nemo. Unfortunately, it doesn't really make good conversation. My Mom always says it helps to go back and think about your previous conversation in the hopes that it will trigger the same memory." She paused and then started ticking off their previous conversation. "Sports, free time activities, college. Ringing any bells?"
Zabriel†

Post by Zabriel† »

Jason scratched his head. Then he shook it sadly. "Nope. I got nothing. Damn."

He felt a little dumb, which was normal for him, but it still frustrated him when he went blank. He tried to think of something to say, just to keep the conversation from going awkward.

"So, do you have a date for prom? Did I already ask that? I don't remember." Jason chewed his lip a little, thinking a bit more.

"I told you my memory was bad. At least I think I did." He laughed a little. It was a bad joke, but he liked it all the same.
Arscapi†

Post by Arscapi† »

"So, do you have a date for prom? Did I already ask that? I don't remember." Jason chewed his lip a little, thinking a bit more. I told you my memory was bad. At least I think I did." He laughed a little.

Marion joined in his laugher. "Wow, you really are Dory," she teased. "But to answer your questions, no. No, I don't have a date for prom and no you didn't already ask me. How about you, you going with anybody?"

((Sorry for the extreme shortness, I got this much and then writer's block hit. I'll make up for it I promise.))
Zabriel†

Post by Zabriel† »

Jason laughed and shook his head. "I actually wasn't really planning on going. I'm not a very good dancer, and I'm not that close with most of our class. I don't think I'd have a very good time." He rubbed the back of his neck and shrugged.

"I'll figure out something though. There's plenty of other things to do in town. I'm not too worried about it. You thinking about going stag, or doing something else? Or are you holding out on somebody to ask you?" He smiled at her and stretched his arms above his head. She seemed like a nice girl to him, he figured she should enjoy herself, whatever she decided to do.
Arscapi†

Post by Arscapi† »

"I'll figure out something though. There's plenty of other things to do in town. I'm not too worried about it. You thinking about going stag, or doing something else? Or are you holding out on somebody to ask you?" He smiled at her and stretched his arms above his head.

Marion shrugged as she watched Jason stretch. "I haven't thought that much about it. I want to go, but I don't think I'd enjoy going by myself. I do much better one-on-one then I do in a large crowd. You're right though, with the majority of our classmates at prom, it might be just the day to go and enjoy the Varsity or the mall, without the crowds it could be a lot of fun. I wonder if we're going to do an article about it in the paper," she unconscious chewed on her bottom lip as she thought over this new information. "Going back to what you said about not being a dancer, I bet you're better than you think. My teacher says that most of today's dancing is just swaying with rhythm. I've been taking lessons for 7 years, but I doubt there'll be very many opportunities to show off my quickstep or tango."
Zabriel†

Post by Zabriel† »

He laughed a little bit and nodded. "Yeah, you're right. What's probably going to be happening most of the night is girls grinding on guys and the teachers loosing their minds as they try to keep things PG-13. I think I'll pass on that. There's plenty of dance clubs I can go to and see that, without a tuxedo rental or an insane ticket price. I've got a bit of time to figure it out though. Maybe we can do something together, I dunno."

He thought for a second, and realized he was forgetting something.

"Hey, do you know what time it is? I wanted to get some things done today, before I forget you know?"
Arscapi†

Post by Arscapi† »

"Yeah, you're right. What's probably going to be happening most of the night is girls grinding on guys and the teachers loosing their minds as they try to keep things PG-13.

She laughed at the picture that presented. "True, but that might almost be worth going to see."

I think I'll pass on that. There's plenty of dance clubs I can go to and see that, without a tuxedo rental or an insane ticket price. I've got a bit of time to figure it out though. Maybe we can do something together, I dunno."

"That actually doesn't sound like a bad idea. What'cha thinking? We could maybe go catch a movie or hang out at the mall," she said and then watched him stop as if he suddenly remembered something.

"Hey, do you know what time it is? I wanted to get some things done today, before I forget you know?"

She glanced around in search of a clock. "Not sure, but practice started at 4, maybe 4:30. We didn't spend much time in there."
((Marion Summers continued in White noise and Titration ))

Return to “Gymnasium”