Splashdown!

Open for anyone wanting to rabble rabble rabble...

Large, full-length windows surround the school's indoor pool, allowing the light to shine in from outside. The tile surrounding the pool is marble in color, and benches line the walls. The pool itself is a standard Olympic-sized swimming pool, and seems to be almost constantly in use by the school's most diligent swim team members.
Brackie

Splashdown!

Post by Brackie »

((Paige Strand Pre-Game Debut))

Focus. It's all about focus.

To say Paige Strand was a determinator would have been an understatement. She never waited for anything, she made sure she saw everything through, and most of all, she did it right.

So it was her duty to make sure to never fall behind in her excercise. Paige could never face going into a competition or an event unawares. Especially with her...condition. It would destroy her, even with medication. So Paige had to take an hour and a half every afternoon to practice her freestyle. Her style.

Paige strutted down the side of the pool in her swimming suit like she owned the place, a real class act. Climbing up on the block, she surveyed the pool for anyone who would be watching her. With utmost grace, she propelled herself from the block into the shiny blue water, barely even making a splash. Tiles flew by her eyes as she flew down the laneway, going faster, faster, faster...she was in her second element now. On land and on bike she was a goddess, and in the pool she was the wife of Poseidon, commanding and wonderful. With little time at all, she reached the end of the laneway, flipped, and started again. Rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat. It was calculative, and hers.
[+] The Island
V4: G069 - Clio Gabriella: Hold me closer, tiny dancer; count the headlights on the highway to hell.
V4: G083 - Paige Strand: Feelings don't try to hurt you, even the painful ones. You're responsible for all of the damn consequences.
V4: B118 - Jacob Charles: Every grieving heart has screamed at one time or another 'why can't you just let me die?'
V4: G114 - Aston Bennett: A woman who desires revenge must dig three graves.
V4: B108 - Ma'afu Tuigamala: Most men would rather forget a hard truth than face it.
V5: G015 - Janie Sinneave: Every human being must find her own way to cope with the impossible, and the only job of a true friend is to facilitate whatever method she doesn't choose.
V6: B018 - Maxim Kehlenbrink: Too much self-centered attitude brings isolation. Result: loneliness, fear, anger, and a hammer to the skull.
V7: G044 - Mikki Swift: It takes 18 years to build a reputation and a minute to ruin it.
V7: G070 - Jessica Rennes: Despair is our chance to wrestle with water and fall through.
V7: G075 - Aditi Sharma: She can still scream that rebel yell, just as loud as it was in 2005.
[+] Home
V4: B042 - Brendan Wallace: History has a way of repeating itself for years to come.
Meanwhile...
v5 - Penny Huang: Good girls can make bad decisions.
v5 - Jasper Rourke: Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are, "what could have been".
v7 - Gaelan Meloy: And nothing matters.
v7 - Jordan Brankovich: Rethinking it all.
v7 - Kayden Brockman: Not done yet.
v7 - Ji-hyun Christensen: Just getting started.
[+] Remind Me Tomorrow
Destiny Martinez will live fast and die faster.
Aidan Winston is going to let you know you're not solving anything.
Lara Rodriguez thinks you should keep your opinion on her to yourself.
Peyton Hoffman isn't fond of the PC Police ruining everything.
Lindsey Sewall wants to make sure you drank water today you stupid bitch.
Luke Travers needs to have a code.
I'm hosting a SOTF!
SOTF: International
Applications Open Now!
BetaKnight

Post by BetaKnight »

((Aislyn McCreery continued from No Talent for Certainty))

Aislyn had been unable to shake her unsettled mood, which slowly grew into an absolute restlessness. The happy chatter from the other students in the hallways grated on her already abused nerves. Just the sound of their voices made her want to scream. There was really only one thing to do when she needed to decompress, and she needed to do it quickly.

Not long after the final bell, Aislyn emerged from the locker room, dressed out in her practice suit. She wordlessly padded towards the pool, roughly shoving her hair into her swim cap. I just need to pound out a couple hundred meters, then I'll feel better. Some quiet time to be one with the water.

Shaking out her arms, she noticed that someone was already in the pool. "What the fuck," she absently muttered as the other swimmer splashed away. "What is it with people always being in the pool when I want to be here alone?"

As she approached the lip of the pool, her heart sank. The other swimmer was none other than Paige Strand. Great. Of all the other swimmers it could be, I get stuck with the one who thinks she's God's gift to the world of swimming. Fan-fucking-tastic, Aislyn silently groused.

Fighting down the guttural growl that desperately wanted to escape, she pasted what she hoped was a friendly smile on her face. "Hey Paige," she called out. "Fancy meeting you here."
Arscapi†

Post by Arscapi† »

((Alex continued from Let's do the Time Warp Again ))

Alex practically bounced into the locker room. She couldn't seem to help herself, she'd been excited all day. She actually had a date to prom, which was totally awesome in her book. Made even better by the fact that after her mom had squeeled with her and promised that they'd spend all weekend working on her hair and make-up, she'd then turned her attention to Roman. Alex had made no effort to hide her amusement as her brother was lectured about not having a date for prom.

So, she'd decided to work off some extra energy and get in some practice as well. She changed quickly, and strolled into the pool area. She was surprised to see that she had company. "Hey, guys," she said waving as she walked over to the 10m platform.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Arscapi. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

Were it not for her earplugs, she would have noticed Aislyn McCreery right away. She was already halfway up the pool until it registered that someone could have been speaking with her. So she stopped at the blocks, turned around, and saw the black-haired girl standing there with a smile on her face. A smile flickered across her face, and she waves slightly back at the girl, and plowed her way back to the other end of the pool in no time at all.

Bringing her head above the over-chlorinated water, she smile again and tried to whip up a conversation.
"Hey Aislyn! How's you been?" Paige hadn't had a solid founded conversation in ages, all supported or started in text-messaging these days. She was about to continue speaking, when she noticed how quiet it was in the pool room. It then registered to her that her earplugs were still in.
"Hold on just a sec, actually..." Paige started, before removing her tiny earplugs and placing them on the side of the pool. Her ears weren't that accustomed to the water, ever since an early age, so she had to wear them to stop...stuff, she wasn't really sure.

"So how are you?"
[+] The Island
V4: G069 - Clio Gabriella: Hold me closer, tiny dancer; count the headlights on the highway to hell.
V4: G083 - Paige Strand: Feelings don't try to hurt you, even the painful ones. You're responsible for all of the damn consequences.
V4: B118 - Jacob Charles: Every grieving heart has screamed at one time or another 'why can't you just let me die?'
V4: B108 - Ma'afu Tuigamala: Most men would rather forget a hard truth than face it.
V5: G015 - Janie Sinneave: Every human being must find her own way to cope with the impossible, and the only job of a true friend is to facilitate whatever method she doesn't choose.
V6: B018 - Maxim Kehlenbrink: Too much self-centered attitude brings isolation. Result: loneliness, fear, anger, and a hammer to the skull.
V7: G044 - Mikki Swift: It takes 18 years to build a reputation and a minute to ruin it.
V7: G070 - Jessica Rennes: Despair is our chance to wrestle with water and fall through.
V7: G075 - Aditi Sharma: She can still scream that rebel yell, just as loud as it was in 2005.
[+] Home
V4: B042 - Brendan Wallace: History has a way of repeating itself for years to come.
Meanwhile...
v5 - Jasper Rourke: Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are, "what could have been".
[+] Remind Me Tomorrow
I'm hosting a SOTF!
Applications Open Now!
BetaKnight

Post by BetaKnight »

Aislyn dropped her head and inhaled deeply while Paige dug her ear plugs out of her ears and dropped them on the lip of the concrete. Because, you know, all the very best swimmers use ear plugs. Just to make sure it's really hard to hear the starting gun, she thought snidely before biting the inside of her cheek. Knock it off, she chastised herself. It's no one's fault but your own that you're in a crappy mood. Don't go venting on Paige for NAR. Even if she's so full of herself that she might really deserve it.

She exhaled loudly while gazing appraisingly at the other girl. There was something about towering over Paige as she bobbed in the water that made her feel extremely powerful in that moment. She folded her left arm across her flat stomach and held her right elbow. Aislyn absently rubbed her fingers in tiny movements along the crook of her arm to combat the chill of the pool complex's air.

"I've been better." Her honesty surprised her as she curled her toes over the edge, savoring the bite of the roughened concrete. "I think all the tension of this 'getting close to the end' stuff is starting to get to me. I feel like I wanna rip someone's head off and crap down their neck, so I thought I'd come down here and swim a few laps until I felt better. What about you?"

"Hey, guys."

Aislyn turned in the direction of the greeting and spotted Alex Jackson heading towards the diving platforms. "Hey Jackson," she called back, nodding her head briefly in acknowledgment. "Your coach know you're playing on the big kids' board now?"

The empty metal bleachers and cold tile of the pool area amplified her voice, making the comment echo just enough to emphasize her slightly mocking tone. Squeezing her eyes tightly closed, she had just one thought. So much for not taking it out of everybody else.
Arscapi†

Post by Arscapi† »

"Hey Jackson," Aislyn called, nodding her head briefly in acknowledgment. "Your coach know you're playing on the big kids' board now?"

Alex smiled proudly and raised her voice. "Cool, isn't it. I just got permission to start up here. Coach says that if I want a real chance to make a college diving team I should start practicing on their heights." She flashed a brilliant smile and then turned her stepped to the edge of the platform. She took a moment to center herself, then pushed off. She tucked her body into the mandatory somersault and then straightened as she hit the water at a near perfect angle. Once in the water, she twisted again, pushing towards the surface. Using strong, sure strokes she swam over to where Aislyn and Paige were talking.

"That is such a rush," she said grinning widly.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Arscapi. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

"I've been better. I think all the tension of this 'getting close to the end' stuff is starting to get to me. I feel like I wanna rip someone's head off and crap down their neck, so I thought I'd come down here and swim a few laps until I felt better. What about you?"
...o-kay, that was disturbing and disgusting. Hmm, probs been dumped or something. Still, she is my teammate, I should probably show a little bit of-

Paige just noticed that Aislyn wasn't looking at her. While initially on the edge of pointing it out, she noticed there was someone else here, someone she hadn't heard. Turning in the same direction, she saw Alex Jackson on the diving boards. While Paige wasn't BFF forever with Alex, they were on...good terms. Blah, she sounded like a right bitch, didn't she?

But Alex sure was an awesome diver. She hit the water at a near perfect angle, making Paige's lips unconsciously mouth "Wow."

As the girl retreated under the water, Paige turned back to Aislyn.
"Me? Well, everything's kinda okay. Boyfriend's being a dumbass as always, keeping up with school and stuff, making plans for college, if I get into one that is, all that jazz..."
And now Alex was coming over to them as well. Hmm, well Paige could probably leave this one afternoon off training. A bit of girl-talk, if that's what it was they wanted to do.
"That is such a rush."
"Wow, Alex, that was, like, really really awesome!" Paige exclaimed "I barely saw a splash or anything!"
Not knowing if that last sentence was relevant (she never took that much of an interest in diving, but she could guess...) Paige bobbed over to the lane ropes, and hoisted her arms above the water. She rested herself on the rope, and began to recline, still smiling and stuff.
"So, ladies, you both got dates for Prom?"
[+] The Island
[+] Home
Meanwhile...
[+] Remind Me Tomorrow
I'm hosting a SOTF!
Applications Open Now!
BetaKnight

Post by BetaKnight »

"So, ladies, you both got dates for Prom?"

Of course she asked that, Aislyn thought, continuing to smile as a wave of despair washed over her. Prom, the holy grail of senior year. The singular event that was supposed to define a senior's final high school experience. Prom was coming up and nobody had asked her. Not only had no one asked her, but she didn't even really have anyone to share in the misery of not being asked. As much as she loved her father, she really didn't want to piss and moan to him about not having a date.

Everything about this place was so different than it had been in Italy. She had known that being back in the States would require an adjustment, but she hadn't counted on feeling unsettled even after all these months. What made it worst of all was that this wasn't just any duty station; she had asked that they come back for senior year. Now, her father was stuck in thankless recruiting hell for the next three years rather than being with a team out on one of the coasts, and she felt like a rudderless outsider at school.

Aislyn hadn't expected to find a best friend or the ultimate love of her life here at school, but there wasn't a single soul that she had actually managed to click with. The students here all seemed so content to just drift along. The lack of any kind of relationship was making her feel at loose ends.

Boo hoo hoo. You didn't get asked to prom. You and probably a bunch of other girls. Stop feeling so effing sorry for your self and do something about it! The unsympathetic inner voice kicked started her thought process. Before she even realized what she was doing, the half-formed idea was escaping her mouth.

"Actually, I didn't get asked to prom by anyone. And I'm willing to bet that I'm not the only girl who didn't get asked. So I've decided to go stag, and I'm gonna put the word out that any girl who doesn't have a date but wants to go is welcome to come with me. I bet we'll end up having just as much fun as the people who go as a couple." A small swell of pride was growing in her chest, replacing the unsettled feeling she had experienced earlier. This was a good idea. In fact, this was probably one the best ideas she'd ever had. Giving Alex and Paige a genuine smile, she turned to the diver. "What about you, Jackson?"
Arscapi†

Post by Arscapi† »

"Wow, Alex, that was, like, really really awesome!" Paige exclaimed "I barely saw a splash or anything! So, ladies, you both got dates for Prom," Paige asked.

"Actually, I didn't get asked to prom by anyone. And I'm willing to bet that I'm not the only girl who didn't get asked. So I've decided to go stag, and I'm gonna put the word out that any girl who doesn't have a date but wants to go is welcome to come with me. I bet we'll end up having just as much fun as the people who go as a couple. What about you, Jackson,"
came Aislyn's reply.

Alex shrugged off Paige's complement. "Thanks, but the dive wasn't the greatest. It's one of the simpler ones. The height messed up my entry," she explained frowning at the board. She was about to continue when she realized that both the girls were swimmers and probably didn't care all that much about the technical aspects of diving. "I could probably teach it to you, off the lowest board of course."

She turned her attention to the question that she'd been answering all week. Of course this time, she actually got to give a different answer. "Actually, Jason Clarke asked me last night at the Varsity. Either that or asked him, I'm not precisely sure. Kale and Quincy were kind of in the way. So I guess you and I compare notes after Prom and see who had more fun," she said with a smile.

Swimming to the edge of the pool, she gracefully climbed out and stood next to Aislyn. "You're turn Paige, who you going to prom with?"
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

"I could probably teach it to you, off the lowest board of course."
"Nah, that's okay." Paige had about as much interest in diving as did a nerd in sunlight, so that was the nicest way she could put it.

"Your turn Paige, who you going to prom with?"
Grinning, Paige placed her arms on the side, and announced the name proudly.
"Jacob Charles! We've been together for, like 6 years! He's been always there for me, and so I couldn't refuse him the honor!"

Paige's grin faltered a bit as she finished the sentence. Jacob had...always been that little bit greater than nice to her. Even through her mental breakdowns, her screaming, her sobbing, and everything else, he stood by her for...forever. She was glad that she found someone as great as him.

Pulling her legs up closer to the lip of the pool, and using a free hand to put her plugs back in, she smiled back at the two other ladies.
"Now if you'll excuse me, I have a few more laps to complete. Can't keep this stamina by talking!" Paige said, as she sprung off the pool's edge and started her backstroke.
[+] The Island
[+] Home
Meanwhile...
[+] Remind Me Tomorrow
I'm hosting a SOTF!
Applications Open Now!
Arscapi†

Post by Arscapi† »

((Beta is suffering from writer's block, so I'm skipping her turn with her permission, in the hopes that both our posts will inspire her muses))

"Jacob Charles! We've been together for, like 6 years! He's been always there for me, and so I couldn't refuse him the honor!"

The honor? Like your some prize to be won or something. Was it really an honor to go to prom? She shrugged, the whole idea of seemed a little old fashioned to her. Jason had asked her which was nice, but she'd been planning on going anyway, with or without a date. 'I guess I have no room to talk,' she thought. At least Paige was going with a long time boyfriend. Alex wondered what it was like to have a given date for all dances.

Paige's grin faltered a bit as she finished the sentence.

Pulling her legs up closer to the lip of the pool, and using a free hand to put her plugs back in, she smiled back at the two other ladies. "Now if you'll excuse me, I have a few more laps to complete. Can't keep this stamina by talking!" Paige said, as she sprung off the pool's edge and started her backstroke.

Alex watched her go puzzled. "Really, you need that much practice that two minutes of conversation is going to hurt," she said then glanced guiltily at Aislyn. She really hadn't meant that to be overheard. She flashed Aislyn a brilliant smile. "Umm, don't tell her I said that, 'k. Can you imagine going with a guy for 6 years? That's serious, considering they started dating in middle school. I don't think I've had a boyfriend for long than a couple of months. Not that I've had that many boyfriends," Alex said attempting to change the subject.

She turned from Aislyn and watch Paige's steady progress across the pool.
BetaKnight

Post by BetaKnight »

"Now if you'll excuse me, I have a few more laps to complete. Can't keep this stamina by talking!"

Aislyn rolled her eyes at Paige's abrupt departure. Could you BE more the drama, Paige?

"Really, you need that much practice that two minutes of conversation is going to hurt. Umm, don't tell her I said that, 'k?"

Shrugging, she watched Paige splash away from them. "You have to forgive Paige. She treats everything like it was competition day. Sometimes I think she can't help but be abrupt with everyone since she only has the capacity to focus on one thing at a time." Grinning back at Alex, Aislyn tilted her head to one side. "I won't tell on you if you don't tell on me," she said conspiratorily.

"And to answer your question, I can't imagine going out with any guy for six months, let alone six years. I've been in...hold on, let me count." Muttering under her breath and ticking things off on her fingers, Aislyn came up with her total. "This is my fourth school in the past six years. Plus, I think my dad would have killed any boy I attempted to date in junior high. He was kinda overprotective back then." Peeling off her swim cap, she shook out her hair. I'm so not going to get any swimming done today.

"But speaking about prom, any ideas on how I can spread the word I'm looking to set up a group for any girl who are interested in going to the dance but doesn't have a date without looking like a total spaz?"
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

As Paige swum down the pool, she watched subtly as the two girls started to talk. It wasn't as though they had to wait for her, was it?

As she flung herself down the pool, she decided to keep herself occupied, away from her thoughts, by watching the ceiling tiles gradually float past her vision. It was spectacular sight, really. The knowledge that she was making your own speed, that the sight of the tiles flying past her was controlled by her speed.

I wonder if anyone ever made a movie of just tiles going b-

She couldn't even begin to finish the sentence that the though formed, because as it so happened, she had forgotten where the starting block was. Even though there were flags above her that were meant to tell her, she was so caught up in her own thoughts that she did not process the imminent danger that was approaching. At full speed, well as fast as anyone could swim in backstroke, Paige Strand rammed into the the pool wall.

The pain flew horizontally through her body like a sledgehammer taking out a whack-a-mole. Even though the water should have decreased the pain (from what Paige knew of the physics of being in water, which was nothing) it became apparent that it hurt just as if she had run full speed into a brick wall. She inhaled a large amount of water into her lungs, which started to choke her. Paige tried to find the direction of air, but all she could do was flail about in the water, trying to exhale the water. She couldn't breathe. It had happened so fast that the only thing someone could see was the usual splashes made by a swimmer, and finally, Paige Strand disappearing beneath the water.

((Paige Strand continued in When you think about others more than yourself))
[+] The Island
[+] Home
Meanwhile...
[+] Remind Me Tomorrow
I'm hosting a SOTF!
Applications Open Now!
Arscapi†

Post by Arscapi† »

((I stole the post order. I stole the post order BWAH, HA, HA. That is if it's okay with you guys.))

Alex smirked at Aisyln's comment. "My lips are sealed," she promised. "Dude, that has to suck, moving around all that. Course I guess it just depends on your point of view. I mean I've lived here my whole life. A few of our classmates were in my kindergarten class. Makes it easy for me to make friends. So I can totally spread around your idea and have anyone interested get in touch with you," Alex said.

She'd been watching Paige swim as she spoke. "Umm, do you think she knows that the edge of the pool is ..." Alex started and then winced as Paige smacked into the side of the pool. "Ouch."

Alex was already in motion, when Paige started to flail, she hurried around the side of the pool, careful of the particularly slick parts. "Paige, Paige," Alex called trying to get her attention as she stood above the girl. She knew better to get into the water with a flailing victim. "You have to calm down."
BetaKnight

Post by BetaKnight »

"Dude, that has to suck, moving around all that.... I can totally spread around your idea and have anyone interested get in touch with you."

"Actually, it's not too bad. You kinda get used to moving a lot when you're a military brat." Aislyn absently shrugged as she half-heartedly watched Paige continue her laps.

"Plus, you generally move to places where the others kids are also used to moving around a lot. And some of the places we've been stationed have been really nice. I especially liked Hawaii and Italy." She smiled at the fond memories that were surfacing. "Great swimming and camping weather in both of those places."

"Umm, do you think she knows that the edge of the pool is ... Ouch."

"Hmm? Who knows what about the edge of the pool?" Alex's voice ended her trip down memory lane. Of course, the other girl did not answer her question as she was already sprinting towards the far end of the pool and the wildly thrashing Paige Strand. "The hell," Aislyn muttered as she raced after Alex.

"You have to calm down."

Aislyn watched the other girl's frantic movements. "So not going to happen." Glancing around, Aislyn looked for one of the reach poles. Getting into deep water with a panicking swimmer was one of the easiest ways to need a rescue yourself. This is the day from hell, I swear.

Spotting the equipment on the wall, she ran over and retrieved it. Standing next to Alex, Aislyn thrust the tool into the water, trying to get it near Paige. "Grab the loop, Paige!"

Return to “Swimming Pool”