Talk Shows on Mute

Located on the first floor of the school building, the language arts wing houses all the school's English, Spanish, and other foreign language classes. The Principal's office is also in this area.
BetaKnight

Post by BetaKnight »

"Umm..well, I..uhm....Oh yes...the promenade. I haven't really...um.."

Evelyn felt her stomach plummet somewhere around her toes as Nik hemmed and hawed when she asked him about prom. Why is he hesitating? Does he not want to go with me? Is he...is he...trying to spare my feelings? Because...because he doesn't want to go with me?

A feeling of nausea flooded her as she dropped her eyes to the floor. Her throat felt tight as she fought the urge to gag. He's going to take Autumn. He's going to shoot me down RIGHT HERE, in front of HER. OH GAWD, I can't believe this is happening to me!

Tears of shame and mortification pricked at the corners of her eyes as Staffan entered the room. Fucking great! Another person, come to witness my humiliation!

Her bout of self-pity abruptly died at the sound of Autumn's huffy little "tch". Get it together, woman, she silently chided herself. Don't give either one the satisfaction.

The familiar decree of her tumbling coach echoed in her head. Smile, damnit! You're a cheerleader, so be cheery! The judges don't care if you're hurt or tired. All they want is a flawless performance, topped with a smile. So get a smile they'll see in the back row on that face right now!

Taking a surreptitious deep breath, Evelyn squared her shoulders and smiled at Staffan, waving her fingers in the universal 'hello' gesture. Autumn's slow and deliberate greeting made her roll her eyes in disgust. He's learning English, not retarded, you moron.

As the brothers conversed, Evelyn noticed Autumn giving her the evil eye. Like I CARE if she's pissed. What-EVER. She's lucky I'm not a ill-bred whore like she is, or else I'd reach out and rearrange that fugly little face of hers. She folded her arms across her chest and returned the glare.

The boys made some excuse about practicing with Trent and Nik made a weak-ass comment about calling her tonight before they fled the room like cats with their tails on fire. That left her all alone with Autumn.

"You know he's just calling you out of pity," Autumn announced as she grabbed her hobo-bag disguised as a purse. Practicing for her future career as a bag lady, I see. Bet she carries around extra panties in there to combat her crotch rot.

Evelyn didn't bother getting upset as Autumn lashed out, settling for rolling her eyes yet again as she reached for her own backpack. "Well, since you're the expert on getting guys to call you out of pity, I guess I'll have to take your word for it."

"Tell your mom I said 'hi'."

Evelyn gritted her teeth and shot back with, "If I said anything to your dad, he'll probably take it the wrong way and I wouldn't want to encourage him."

Once Autumn slipped from the room and she was utterly alone, Evelyn let out a shriek of rage and hurled her backpack across the room. Throwing herself into the nearest desk, she ground the heels of her hands into her eyes to keep from crying. I cannot believe this is happening! What the HELL is happening here?! Like I'm not the OBVIOUS choice here? Seriously? Seriously!

Slamming her hands down on the desk, Evelyn tried to take several cleansing breaths. "You know, I SO don't need this aggravation," she announced, her voice echoing in the empty room. "I'm thin and cute. I'm a freakin' cheerleader. Guys WANT to take me to prom." She nodded, agreeing with herself. Sliding out of the chair, she stalked over to where she had thrown her backpack. Snatching it up, she slung it on her back as she headed for the door. "Screw the diet. I have SO earned a pint of Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie when I get home.

[[Evelyn Reed continued in We've Got Spirit, Yes We Do]]

Return to “Language Arts Wing”