Food For Thought

YUM! Math!

The cafetorium is a combination cafeteria and auditorium. There's enough space for chairs to arranged to view any kind of assembly or speaking arrangement, but during the day it also acts as a cafeteria, complete with angry lunch ladies and poor food. Vending machines are scattered throughout the place, but this is generally the social centre of the school.
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

Chase scrambled a bit more on the floor, looking for anything else. Dang, is there anything else he could have dropped? It would be sad if he lost something important, really.

But, it would seem as if he had found everything, as he stopped looking, and thanked them. Huh. And now... he was leaving? Well, he was a busy man, after all, and had to talk to a teacher about... something involving an assignment. Well, everyone was busy eventually. And it was getting to be that time of year, so everyone had plenty of reason to be busy. And, she might see him tomorrow, so that might be good, right?

She smiled as he left, waving. "Okay! See you!"

And then she turned towards Lexie, and suddenly her smile faded.

Lexie... was smiling in a way that creeped her out. Seriously, if she was an anime character, or someone from another visual medium, someone off the Internet would screenshot it, and make it into a macro with something like "It's RAPE TIME!", or something similar. Maybe she was right a couple of seconds ago, and zombies did eat her brains. And just now... she had turned into a zombie too, and was about to eat a bunch of people's grey matter.

Her comment about it just being two people now didn't make things any better, either.

But, of course Lexie wasn't a zombie. Zombies didn't go to high school and make ominous sounding comments. They just shambled around, biting people and infecting them so they became zombies, too. Lexie did not do any of those things. At least, Chase couldn't remember her biting someone.

Chase felt she needed to comment on it, though, as she said (aloud, for some reason) in a quiet, yet oddly enough, joking voice "Please don't eat my brains".
KelleyA†

Post by KelleyA† »

"Please don't eat my brains" Chased said, almost as if she was thinking out loud.

The smile seemed to fizzle and burn right of Lexie's face leaving a dull expression that could simply read out 'A wuh?'. Okay, Chase was being a little bit weird but it didn't matter, Lexie was Lexie and Chase was Chase, neither were all too normal. Lexie blinked once or twice before saying in a slow and steady fashion: "I'm a vegetarian."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler KelleyA. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

Lexie had stopped smiling, and made a face that pretty much read "The heck?".

Oh dear. Lexie did not appreciate that, and was now wondering what was going on. What would Chase explain to her? After all, all those zombie thoughts were mostly going on in her head, but only just now did she make that vocal. Hmmm... could she explain it in full detail? Like... "Hey Lexie, that facial expression earlier reminded me of a zombie!"? No. That would be dumb, and she might get upset. Besides, it seemed as though things like this happened often, with various people. She really needed to understand the set-up of a joke, didn't she?

That vegetarian comment made it seem even more so like she wasn't appreciating that comment, at all.

"Ah... ignore that. Was just thinking in my h-head, and started blurting things out related to it. Sorry"

Lifting herself off the ground, Chase dusted off her clothes, and slid herself back in her seat. She felt the need to bring the conversation elsewhere, and started listing things in her head. Boys? Nah. Anime? Does she even watch that? How the teacher kept rambling on? No. How her day was? Well....

That could work, surprisingly. A little less awkward, at least. Chase forced another smile, and spoke again.

"So... anyways... how have things been? Well?"

Chase kind of fidgeted, feeling how awkward things had become. Dang it, she shouldn't just blurt little things out like that. It was... awkward, to say the least.
KelleyA†

Post by KelleyA† »

Chase seemed nervous, so Lexie gave her best 'reassuring smile'. It felt warm and good hearted, but somehow Lexie wasn't sure if it would be seen that way when Chase registered it. 'Oh damn, If I smile for another moment I think my cheeks are gonna split open...' Lexie thought.

"So... anyways... how have things been? Well?" Chase asked.

"Well I've got a lesson I don't like next and I'm practically starving, but if I eat I'll get fat and even though my shrink has run this over with me a million times, I still feel the need to puke my guts out whenever I eat so much as a breadcrumb. I could be spending my lunch money on cigarettes as I haven't had one in ages, and I could of killed somebody right now to get at the Nicotine under their nails. However, my stress is only being strained further and further as my parents practically begged the girl next door to keep tabs on when I buy lunch, and when I go buy a smoke. To be honest, I want to crush her with my dainty manicured fists. And now I'm starting to regret staying in this lunch because both you and that Brendan guy kept looking at me as if I said I eat baby kittens, which I couldn't eat anyway as I'm a vegetarian and this loops back to the start of what I just said." That was the long monologue going through Lexie's head, she paused for a moment and blinked before her senses came to her again.

"Oh I'm just peachy." Lexie said, not sure of how it sounded coming out. 'God damn I have issues!'
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler KelleyA. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

"Peachy?"

Well, that was good, and she was smiling. But, she didn't seem too happy, though, judging by the pause.

Was the brains comment really that bad? Dang.

But, she was smiling. Chase wasn't sure if it was the happy kind, or the nod-and-smile kind, though. Hopefully this won't be one of those things where people joke about it for all of eternity, and no one would shut up about Anna Chase and her fear of Lexie Logan-Price eating her brains like something out of a bad horror movie. Heck, some things she had done were already like that. Those stories had nothing to do with the current conversation, but hey. Sometimes people kept talking about the same things over and over, much to the annoyance of everyone else who didn't want to listen, or who was embarrassed by what happened exactly. Why they did, no one knew.

Ah well. Might as well continue the conversation, right?

"Ah. I'm good myself. Had a bad night's rest, but..."

Chase stopped herself before saying anything else, and steered course.

"But I think I'm in a good mood today, right?"

She gave Lexie another awkward, and somewhat forced, smile, and then just as quickly frowned when she remembered something. Wait, she still had that problem to solve! Glancing down at her notebook, she stared at what she had down for the problem so far. Wow, how long was she talking with Brendan and Lexie? Would she be able to solve it during lunch? If not, it was okay; she had after school to do it, too.
KelleyA†

Post by KelleyA† »

Oh yeah, Chase had that maths thingy bob to do. Then me and Brendan practically stopped her and now I'm pretty sure the clock is ticking towards the end of Lunch. Chase had suddenly stared down at her notebook, causing Lexie's thoughts to dissolve and run the previous thought three times before she took any action.

"Oh sure." Lexie babbled, replying to Chase's earlier comment. "It's almost like it's Christmas sitting next to you today." That wasn't a harsh joke, it was kind of almost true. "Need help with that? I'm okay at maths I guess." Lexie waggled a pink finger nail towards the notebook on the table.
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

Chase stared at the problem a bit, until... wait, it was all so simple. After a bit of doing what needed to be done with the problem, she was coming close to an answer. Was it really that simple?! After all, she had been stuck there for a good portion of lunch, and now... it's easy?!

Lexie was saying something else, something about... Christmas, she guessed.

Was being around her really that uplifting, or was she being sarcastic? Chase wasn't sure this time, either. Dang, Lexie... was an enigma wrapped in seaweed with fish sometimes. That was a bad metaphor, but still. But, if she made Lexie happy, then it might be a good thing.

Eh, best not to put too much thought into it.

And another question. Like Brendan, she had asked if she had needed help. Well, Chase was almost finished with this problem, and the rest, now that she had remembered how to do it, looked easy, too. So, in a way, she probably did not need any help, unless she got stuck again. After briefly looking up, she flashed a grin at Lexie.

"Ah... no need. I think I'm fine now. Thanks, though."
KelleyA†

Post by KelleyA† »

"Kay, well I'm gonna listen to some music whilst you finish that of then, just...erm, say something if you need any help!" Lexie said, and leant back in her chair, the front two legs leaving the ground, she anchored herself in place by keeping both hands flat on the table. Kay, the awkward bits over and everyone seems to be a happy bunny right now, so keep it that way and shut up. It's like walking on eggshells, and you don't want membrane stuck between your toes now, do you? Lexie thought and gave a thoughtful grin before tilting her chair fowards again, the front legs clacking on the ground again.

She popped her plugs back into her ears and scrolled through her songs for ten seconds before sighing and selecting one at random. There was a drumming intro then some electrical guitar before the singing started. It was a sort of upbeat tune, but sounded a little dirty, almost like something you would hear at a party, though this wasn't mainstream American music.

Oh the clever, things that I say to you. They got stuck somewhere, stuck between me and you. Oh I'm nervous, I don't know what to do. Light a cigarette, I only smoke when I'm with you. Lexie grinned, but it soon fizzled away into a frown. 'Why do I still miss him? God damn I need a smoke.'
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

Chase heard Lexie mention something about listening to music, and then an idea popped into her head.

Hey, it's noisy in here, so I should listen to music too!

Pulling her iPod out of her pocket, she had decided to mimic Lexie. Placing the buds in her ears, she started listening to the melody, only...

Well hello there little boy.
Now don't be shy.
Step right up, I'm a reasonable guy.
Don't be frightened by the look in my eye.
I'm just your average evil meteor from outta the sky.

Well, I'm just a little shy and scared in this place
I'm just a fish outta water from outer space
You can see that the trip has left me tired and drained
So why don't you be a pal...

Oh dear.

And bring me some BRAINS!

Well, gee thanks, Voltaire, for making the current situation a little more awkward.

Seriously. Although she liked Voltaire, this was a really bad time to start listening to a song about eating brains. About the worst timing, really. And now Chase would have to try her best to avoid singing along, which had long become a habit of hers. If she did, the situation would become much worse. She slightly scrunched up her face at the thought.

And so, she tried her best to finish her homework, and let the music play normally without her singing. And so, the rest of the homework passed through, and by then, the song had finished, and had switched to that Evangelion song, "Komm Susser Todd", which, although slightly better, was still slightly awkward to sing in public. Seriously, she had no idea how many times she had resisted the urge, only to end up singing the lyrics, and cause strange looks. Then again, they probably would have realized that it was a song that she was singing along to, based on the little things in her ears. She was lucky no one worried too much, really.

But, she was done, and so, she pressed stop, and took the little thingies out of her ears.

"All done!"
KelleyA†

Post by KelleyA† »

"All done." Chase chirped after several minutes of scribbling down in her jotters and textbooks.

"Kay." Lexie replied, her eyelids starting to droop, her wrists shaking making her fingertips scrape across the table. Her bangles jingled and clanged against each other and her lips creased. There was a five dollar note in her pocket, and some change coming up to about $1.25. She shut her eyes and sighed as the sunlight filtering through the glass wall began to irritate her. She opened her mouth to speak again, it came out in a dry rattle, but halfway through her normal voice flowed freely again. "Can I borrow two bucks? Pretty please? I'll pay ya back tomorrow!" She leant fowards and her eyelids raised, revealing big watery puppy dog eyes. She made whiny wimpering sounds, and flopped her fingers down over her palms like paws.

Maybe if she was quick she could sprint out of school, cut across the street and head into the toilets of the convenience store and buy a pack of Malboro's from the vending machine on the wall, and make it back in time for the afternoons lessons. 'Chase, I love ya but if you don't gimme my two dollars I'm afraid I'm going to have to take you to a castle far, far away where nobody can hear you scream' she thought, and chuckled.
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

Money? Lexie wanted money now? What for?

Chase hoped it wasn't any illegal drugs. Because, she wasn't going to be held accountable if Lexie got arrested. She was almost sure that it wasn't anything like pot Lexie wanted to buy, as Lexie, although she had earned the name "Chugs" for a reason, didn't seem like the type of person to be sitting around smoking weed. Although the mental image of Lexie examining her hands was... actually quite funny, now that she thought of it.

But, then she did it.

She acted like a dog.

Chase stared, somewhat smiling. Dang Lexie, was she trying to exploit the side of her that liked anime, by acting like a little puppy, making her think of those girls that often popped up in such shows, that had animal ears and a tail? Lexie with dog ears and a tail was also a fun mental image, actually! If only she could somehow convince Lexie to wear a dog costume... but she might not want to. Eh, it probably wasn't anything big, and if she doesn't get payed tomorrow? Well, Chase could think of something.

Taking out her billfold from her jacket pocket, Chase took out two dollars, and reached them out where Lexie could grab them.

"Alright, Fido, here's your change. But, if I don't get anything tomorrow, there will be a punishment", she said, still smiling from being amused.

Chase didn't know what kind of punishment that would be, but she could think of something by tomorrow morning. She could get creative, but nothing that would break school rules, or be too out of the ordinary. Ideas were already starting to form in her head, but she will see what she can do when she got home. And it had to be something Lexie would agree with, as well, for obvious reasons.
KelleyA†

Post by KelleyA† »

"Alright, Fido, here's your change. But, if I don't get anything tomorrow, there will be a punishment" Chase said with a smile.

Lexie could practically imagine her cheeks blushing red and her eyes growing to the size of saucers. "Omigodchasethankssomuchfo--" She cut herself off, rubbing the back of her head. "--thank you." She said, her eyes closed and her eyebrows raised giving her a slightly embarrased but happy expression. She took the money with her left hand, and pinched her teeshirt with the right, pulling it fowards and stuffing the two dollar bills into her neon blue bra. She stood up and brushed whatever invisible dust had settled on her black leggings and then she smiled once more.

"Okay, I got to love you and leave you now...I'll hurry back but I'm not sure I'll make it in time!" She gassed, waggling her fingers ready to say goodbye. She slung her rucksack over her shoulder, and ruffled her black and pink bob back into positon. Her eyes scanned the sea of heads, searching for the fastest route out of the cafetorium. She could worry about slinking off of campus to get the convenience store once she was actually outside. She waggled her fingers once more, waiting for a reaction.
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

Chase watched as Lexie eagerly grabbed the bills, and placed them in a place that Chase didn't expect to see when putting away two dollars.

Namely, in her bra.

Seriously. Chase didn't mind people placing things in their bras. In fact, she did it sometimes, herself. But, Lexie did it in a way that showed off just what kind of bra it was. Neon blue, to be precise. Chase didn't really want to see that, but... what did you expect from Lexie "This hooters are not real" Logan-Price?

But, she seemed happy that she had money, and was now running off, wagging her fingers in a strange way. Chase guessed this meant "goodbye". And indeed her words said so. She would be hurrying back, but... it was unknown if she'd be back in time. Chase waved back, hoping she would be back soon.

Would Lexie be back in time? Who knew?

Hurry hurry! It would suck if you were late to class! Chase thought to herself, prodding what remained of her yogurt with her spoon.
KelleyA†

Post by KelleyA† »

Lexie gave one last wink, as she started to slink inbetween chairs and benches. "Seeya in class!" She cried out heartily, giving a thumbs up and turned, squeezing through the masses. She sucked in some breath, and stepped into the aisle, before rushing out the double doors.

Lexie Logan-Price continued in Love Means What It Means
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

Chase waved again, seeing her run off.

"Bye byeeee!" she shouted after her.

Where was she so eagerly running off to?

Well, maybe it was because.... class was starting in a little bit? Perhaps. After all, no one wanted to be late to class, or else the teachers would turn into homicidal maniacs and start killing off their students one by one. Okay, not really. Very few teachers reacted that way to a late slip. But, they didn't appreciate people being late. Not. One. Bit. So, yeah. No one wanted to be late, and experience the teachers' wrath.

Sighing contently to herself, she lifted her bag onto her lap, and after unzipping it, placed her math-related objects and what was left of her lunch that wasn't open or already eaten in. However, after noticing something, Chase's facial expression changed to a befuddled one.

"How did this get in here?" she asked to herself, pulling out a pocket calculator from one of the pockets. It wasn't her old, broken one, that was for certain.

Perhaps someone put it there? Possibly. Last time she checked, it wasn't in there, and that was when lunch started, so it had to have been two people. Brendan Wallace, or Lexie Logan-Price. Then again, it could have been a third party, that snuck it in during the conversation. Why they would, though, was a mystery.

And how exactly did she not notice? Chase prided herself on being a little more observant than others, but you'd think she would notice someone unzipping her bag and placing something in. It must have been when she was distracted with something else, really.

God, I feel like Sherlock Holmes or something thinking about this, she thought to herself, somewhat smiling. Although it was a mystery, it was, in a way, helpful. Only problem was... she didn't know who to thank.

As her pale hands moved the calculator around to further examine it, after a few minutes, she heard the bell ring. Placing the calculator back into the pocket she found it in, she then slung her back over her shoulder, and headed out of the lunch area, still wondering who exactly put the device in.

Well. I will find out eventually. God, I hope Lexie gets back to class in time.

And so, she headed out to her next class.

((Anna Chase continued in Love Means What It Means))

Return to “The Cafetorium”