Browsing

Gerry's Pro Shop is the PLACE to be prior to and after games. With a full array of sticks, equipment, and other assorted things like tape and wax, Gerry runs the Pro Shop and has for years. Also known as one of the best skate-sharpeners in the whole city, he's usually found sharpening skates. From time to time, students will work for him in order to pick up some extra cash. The work isn't glamorous, the pay is terrible, but it's easy, and it's a pretty good place to work.
Unknown Kadath†

Browsing

Post by Unknown Kadath† »

Saul stared at the hockey stick , taking in every detail. He started at the tip of the handle, drawing his eyes downward. He carefully read the logo of the company of it, knowing it would inevitably be worn off in a few years. His eyes continued down to the curve of the blade, a beautiful bleached white. He smiled to himself and looked up.

He stood in Gerry's Pro Shop, as he did at least once every week. When he feels it, he takes a detour on his way back from school and pops in. Not even being very interested in sports, he seemed to take a liking to the place. His first time in there was while he was waiting for the setup of a Huskies game in the ring, a full hour before he needed to be in costume. He stayed in the store, looking at the equipment. He left afterwards, thinking he would probably never end up there again.

But he found himself drawn back, returning the next day after school. He was in the store before he even realized it, and wanting to not look foolish, he browsed a bit. He's done so ever since.

He wandered through the rows of equipment, smiling to himself. Something about the store made him calm, cleared his head. It was his sanctuary. Sure, meatheads populate it often, but it never bothered him. Plus, it didn't hurt that the girl often working behind the counter was a cutie. Not that he would ever ask her out.

He finally made it to the wall of the left side of the store. He looked up and found a familiar sight. The old pictures of hockey players from back when the sport was born. He loved thinking about how different things were back then. Now, you could get a few scratches, a bruise, or a concussion if it's really bad, but back then, players would retire and have only their canine teeth left, or a face so smashed up that only a mother could love them, if they weren't rich. He chuckled along with the picture of the toothless man looking no more than twenty-five, wearing a worn jersey. If you could see them today, buddy. More armour on them than a freakin' knight. He laughed quietly at the thought.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Unknown Kadath. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
JamesRenard†

Post by JamesRenard† »

((Garry Villette debut, and slight GMing approved by Egads))

Placing a hand on the large glass pane, Garry pushed the door open and entered the shop. He immediately looked over to the girl tending the counter and gave her a smile, one that showed off his canines. Gerry wasn't there, so he was either out the store today, or he was out at the back of the shop, sharpening the ice skate blades.

Garry turned to his left and saw the 6ft-tall mannequin standing by the doorway. It was decked out in full hockey gear, from helmet and face guard right down to the ice skates and shin guards, and was standing in a stance like it was in the middle of chasing the puck across the ice. Studying the equipment on the mannequin made him remember why he was here in the first place; he needed to get his hands on a new pair of gloves, as the insides of the old pair were starting to wear away.

He starting looking around the aisles, making a beeline towards the section where the gloves were kept. He passed a row stocked with neck guards and glimpsed Saul standing by the wall, staring intently at the photos of past hockey players. He looked to be completely engrossed with what he was doing, and Garry felt a wicked smile form as he slowly approached the boy, not making a sound and keeping his breathing as quiet as possible.

'Like a werewolf sneaking up on his prey,' Garry thought, keeping the smirk on his face. He came to within half a yard from Saul's back, paused for a couple of seconds, and then placed a hand on his shoulder. "Hello there, husky," he said.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler JamesRenard. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Unknown Kadath†

Saul sighed quietly, gazing at the picture. I wonder what he would think of the world today. Internet, colour TV, video games... Suddenly, a hand touched his shoulder and a voice said, "Hello there, husky."

Saul jumped. He flinched back and turned around quickly. Seeing his friend Garry behind him, he gave him a smirk, "Never one for giving up a chance to sneak up on me, eh Garry? Ya bastard." he chuckled, lightly hitting his friend on the arm.

Looking around to see who saw his response, he realized that almost nobody was in the store, besides a few jocks checking out the helmets and the girl behind the counter. He looked back at Garry, "So, what brings you to Gerry's Wondrous Sporting Goods Emporium, my good sir?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Unknown Kadath. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
JamesRenard†

Post by JamesRenard† »

Garry continued to smile at Saul, feeling slightly proud with himself for managing to spook his friend like that. "It's totally worth it when I get a priceless reaction like that from you," he said, chuckling slightly as the light punch connected with his arm.

"I wanted to get a new pair of gloves, my old ones are nearly worn through," Garry responded to Saul's question and turned to look at the glove section, displaying a wide variety of different brands. "They're quite old now, belonged to my pa. He used to be into hockey himself when he was my age, still is to an extent, but he doesn't play anymore. Can't when you have to look after the four of us."

He gazed over the photos decorating the wall in front of him, many dated way before the start of the 20th century. The first game of ice hockey from Montreal, the first game in the US, and much more recently the first game played in the Steve Carlson arena. The faces of the different players and coaches, many of whom had long since passed on, put up for posterity.

"So what are you up to? Just having a look around, or are you planning on buying something?" he asked, turning back to Saul.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler JamesRenard. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Unknown Kadath†

Saul smiled, listening to his friend. He looked back up at the picture, and replied, "Just looking at the pictures, you know? Sometimes it's good to think about the past, the things people accomplished, the things that they didn't, and the things they shouldn't have." He looked back at his friend and smiled, "It just makes me appreciate what we have, you know? My parents, they're all about the latest gadgets, and my brother is always calling and telling me about the newest fads, like I'm some sort of aficionado of trends, and it makes me wonder, what if you were born in another time? But that's just me wondering."

He grinned, "So, how's the family? Is Steph passing all of her classes?"

While saying this, he looked over to the guys over by the helmets. Some sophomores from Bayview. He recognized them from the class photos. Saul had a thing for photos, always examining them.
JamesRenard†

Post by JamesRenard† »

'What if I was born in another time?' Garry wondered. He contemplated what life would be like if he lived in the Middle Ages or the 16th-17th centuries, when people believed werewolves to be real. While that seemed pretty awesome, there was a massive downside to living in that era; had he retained his interest in lycanthropy back then, being called a weirdo would be the least of his problems. Some superstitious folk would probably try to hunt him down and burn him at the stake. 'Wait, that's what they did to witches. Same principle though.'

Garry then realised his sister's name had just been mentioned. "Oh yeah, she's doing fine at the moment, so are the others," he said, referring to brothers Michel and Noah. "Michel's so close to graduating from university, everyone in the family's proud of him. Of course, they're going to want me to follow in his footsteps and head off to uni myself, but I'm not too sure about that idea. I'd rather continue with hockey, and besides, I'm not exactly a brain-box like my brother is, so I don't know if I'd get in anyway."

Garry brought up his left wrist and checked the time on his watch. "I really should go have a look to see which gloves I want to buy, I don't want to keep my folks waiting too long," Garry announced, turning around and looking back towards the display. "Want to come and have a look with me?" he asked, turning back to Saul.
Unknown Kadath†

Saul chuckled and nodded, "Sure, buddy. I'll help you look."

He scanned the shop one last time, looking at everything. The sticks, skates, shoulder pads, helmets, jerseys, and everything in between. His eyes came to the girl behind the counter, and when their gazes met, he smiled to her in an incredible show of confidence. Saul felt good. He didn't know why, but he had a feeling that it was going to be the greatest summer of his life.

He began to walk towards the isle containing the gloves and shin guards backwards, looking at Garry, "C'mon, puppy, let's get you some gloves for your pawsies," he chuckled, liking to tease his friend about his love for wolves.
JamesRenard†

Post by JamesRenard† »

Garry laughed at being called 'puppy', something he was well used to by now from the mascot. He then growled (or as best a growl he could manage without hurting his throat in the process) at Saul, keeping the grin on his face to show he meant nothing bad by it.

His eyes settled on one of the brand new pairs of gloves on display, black on the tough protective shell and a very pale grey on the softer and more flexible palms. He briefly wondered if it would be possible to paint or glue some fake claws onto the individual fingers of the glove, but immediately dispelled that idea; he didn't want to potentially ruin a good set of gloves just to suit his werewolf image. 'Maybe I could try that out with the old pair instead,' he thought. He picked up one of the gloves and slipped his hand inside to see if it was the correct size or not. He was glad to see it fit like a, well, like a glove.

"I got a good pair here," Garry announced to Saul, checking the price. He whistled when he saw it would cost him $79.99, but still, he had enough money in his wallet to cover that amount. "Right, let's go pay for them." Picking up the other glove with his bare hand, he made his way towards the counter.
Unknown Kadath†

Saul followed his friend to the counter at the end of the store, inhabited by the young lady. He smiled to her and looked out the store window, beams of light filtering in from the outdoors. He sighed happily, marveling at the beauty of nature. Wow. I am in such a great mood. He thought. Maybe a bit out of character, but the school year was about over.

He watched Garry pay for his gloves, and the girl bagging them for him and thanking him for his time shopping. He looked down at her name tag. Sandra. She seemed nice. Maybe during the summer, he can get to know her. Saul felt good just to be alive today. He turned to his friend, "Hey, Gar. Wanna go grab a bite to eat?"
JamesRenard†

Post by JamesRenard† »

Garry took the goods from the female clerk and placed the receipt inside the bag, then put away the single cent change into his wallet. He was pleased with the purchase, and was looking forward to giving the gloves a test run. As for those old gloves, he could get creative with them, maybe get his acrylics out and paint some claws and fur on them. That would be pretty cool to try and scare Steph with at home. He smirked at the possibilities he could have with them.

"Hey, Gar. Wanna go grab a bite to eat?" Saul asked, Garry immediately looking round to him.

"Yeah, that sounds like a good idea, lemme check if I have enough money on me," Garry replied as he opened the wallet up again to check how much of his funds remained. "Hmm... I got eleven bucks and seventy-eight cents, think that'll cover it? Guess it depends where we're going, what did you have in mind?" he asked.
Unknown Kadath†

Saul shrugged to his friend, reaching into his back pocket and pulling out his own wallet. Opening it up he examined the contents. Two fives, a few ones, and 3 quarters. He looked back up, "I can pretty much handle my own food. We can go head to the food court, if you want to."

He took one more look around the store, examining everything. This place will never change. No matter how long I live, I'll always come back here. He motioned to his friend, "Well, we may as well leave the store, if you're done."
JamesRenard†

Post by JamesRenard† »

"Yeah, the food court sounds like a good place to go to," Garry replied, putting his wallet away in his pocket. "I'm all done and dusted here, I'm ready to head off if you are."

Garry thanked the girl and turned away from the counter to walk to the door, grabbed the handle and pulled it open. He stepped outside the shop and pressed his arm against the door to keep it open for Saul.

"Hang on a second," Garry said, pulling his cell phone out of his other pocket and started to type out a text message to his parents, explaining that he'd met a friend and was hanging out with him, and so was going to be home later than he'd originally planned. Once the message was finished and sent off, he slipped the phone back into the pocket. "Okay, let's go," he said to Saul, starting to walk in the direction of the Promenade.

((Garry Villette continued in Hungry Like the Wolf))
Unknown Kadath†

Saul watched his friend text out the message, his fingers moving nimbly over the keypad. Saul didn't own a cell phone, and never planned to. He waited a bit, before hearing his friend say, "Okay, let's go."

He nodded, "Ten-four, good buddy. Let's get some food, I'm starving," he said as he took off after him.

He smiled to himself, looking at the closing doors of the store, before turning back around and catching up with Garry, "I'm dying for a burger, man. How about you?" he asked as they turned the corner to the exit.

((Saul Fetteralf continued in Hungry Like the Wolf))

Return to “Gerry's Pro Shop”