The Kindness of Strangers

Open

The southern side of the felled forest is similar to the northern one, though it is more steeply sloped, angling up along the northern slope of the island’s central mountain. The footing is more treacherous here, with erosion having damaged much of the soil.
ThoDuSt

Post by ThoDuSt »

The girl climbed up the hill towards Sam and Adrian. Adrian and the girl exchanged what passed for pleasantries given their circumstances. It seemed the girl had people she knew that she could still look for, Sarah Xu, huh?

"I know who she is, but I haven't seen her around, sorry. But on the bright side, her name hasn't been announced, so she's probably still alive, right?"

"And hey," Sam continued unenthusiastically, "at least you're doing better than I am. I didn't know any of my friends had even gone on this trip until I heard Cyrille's name on the announcement."
randomness

Post by randomness »

Sarah Xu? The name was familiar but that didn't come as much of a surprise.

"I'm sorry, but I don't know her either," Adrian said. "I only met a few friends and well, lets just say it didn't go quite so brilliantly."

"By the way, I'm Adrian, you are?"
Rocky†

Post by Rocky† »

Reiko was somewhat disappointed by the answer, but she couldn't say she was surprised. She sighed, slumping her shoulders slightly. She was too tired for this. She hadn't slept in God knows how long, and right now she couldn't exactly afford to do so either. That was all she would have to do before someone would kill her in revenge for one of their friends.

Someone like the girl who was sitting at the base of the tree. Reiko instinctively clenched her fists at the mention of Cyrille. It seemed so long ago, when they had their little run in. It was amazing what could happen in a week. The girl made sure that her pistol was within reach, just in case something happened. Something like having to tell them her name.

"Ummm..." Reiko began in a rather uncharacteristic manner. For a moment she thought that maybe she should try to bluff, pretend to be someone else. She immediately dismissed that thought. There weren't many asian girls in Bayview, and chances were they would know the person she pretended to be.

Placing her hand directly on the concealed handle of her pistol, Reiko decided that honesty was the only way she could be getting out of this. "My name is Reiko. I'm sure you've heard about me."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the former handler Rocky.
ThoDuSt

Post by ThoDuSt »

Sam stared at the girl in front of her with confusion and anger. It was her, Reiko Ishida, the person she had been hunting for during the past few days. It took this confrontation to make Sam understand how little she had planned for the encounter, what little she did plan for she began to rethink in the last few days. God, she was mess!

Sam's inner turmoil was fairly easy to read from her face. "Y-You're..." She wasn't really asking for a confirmation, her mind was just buying time to process all the emotions and information that were surging through her brain.

"why...?" She asked softly, her face now deciding to show anger, despite the continued emotional confusion. Her body tensed, her hands clenched into fists, and she gritted her teeth. As she tried to make eye contact with the girl her gaze became more fierce. She repeated her overly vague question, audibly this time, through her teeth; "Why?"
randomness

Post by randomness »

"R...Reiko? No you can't be..."

Even though he said that, he knew that the person standing before him was Reiko. Who would be stupid enough to say that they were her? He had heard her name every morning announcement. Had heard the names of those she killed. Everyone would be out to get her.

And now, she stood right before him.

He had to do something. Run, hide, fight. Any of those things would be fine. Why did he have to leave the gun at the bottom of his bag?

"Sam, please calm down." He knew it wouldn't be enough but he continued anyway, "We don't have to start a fight."
Rocky†

Post by Rocky† »

The visible change of the other two people was not what Reiko was hoping for, to say the least. She removed the gun from her pocket, but kept it out of sight. She hoped she wouldn't have to use it, but she would prefer to be prepared in case things went bad. Just like they always seemed to.

The girl in particular was furious. She asked a simple, one word question. Why. Such a simple word, with such a complex answer. Reiko wasn't even sure if she had an answer to why. She didn't even know what the girl was asking specifically.

"You're going to have to be more specific." The girl finally said. She needed to know what exactly she was being accused of before she defended herself. Or didn't. Whichever way things went down, she was ready.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the former handler Rocky.
ThoDuSt

Post by ThoDuSt »

Be more specific? It wasn't quite that easy. Sam didn't really know what she was asking anymore than Ishida did. In fact she wasn't even sure who she was asking the question to.

She continued to stare wordlessly at Reiko.
randomness

Post by randomness »

The two of them completely ignored him, deciding to focus on staring each other down.

He wasn't going to be changing anything by saying anything more. It was time to do something. Reiko was standing right in front of him. He said he didn't want a fight, but he had to stop her somehow.

He took a step back and grabbed his bag which was lying on the floor.He could only hope that the two of them wouldn't notice him.
Rocky†

Post by Rocky† »

No answer. Not a good start. Reiko stared back at the girl who was glaring at her, not moving a muscle. She wasn't sure what to expect, but she was getting kind of tired of just standing around.

"Look, if you have something to say, then say it. Or do it. Whatever. You obviously have something important you want to get off your chest, or else you wouldn't be giving me that death glare. So if you have something terribly important to say, now is a good a time as any."

Reiko took a deep breath, slightly winded from her rambling speech. She noticed that the boy was going for his bag. Tensing the grip on her gun, she made sure to keep herself ready just in case he tried something sneaky.
ThoDuSt

Post by ThoDuSt »

Sam still didn't know what to say. She knew she wanted to say something but was still to confused to say it.

Taking her concentration off of Ishida for a moment, Sam tried to stand. It had been awhile since she had stood on her own and as a result she had trouble maintaining her balance at first. Her ankles were still a little sore, but much better already, it definitely wasn't a sprain.
randomness

Post by randomness »

Adrian grabbed his bag. But now that he had it, he had no idea what to do. Trying to get his gun would be suicide.

He stood there for a moment. He had to do something, and fighting wasn't the answer.

He took the only other choice.

He ran.
Rocky†

Post by Rocky† »

Reiko shook her head as the boy ran. Whatever, made things easier for her. Looking at the girl try to stand up, she knew that she wasn't going to be a problem for her. Putting the pistol back into her pocket, she looked at the girl one last time.

"If you ever feel like actually telling me what your problem is, come find me." was all the girl said before walking off, leaving the girl behind.

((Reiko Ishida continued in Some People Care))
randomness

Post by randomness »

((Skipping TDS))

Adrian was halfway down the hill when it happened. The slope gave way. He had no time to react.

He reached the bottom of the hill with a loud thud ,a crack and a cry of pain.

Maybe he was bleeding. He wouldn't know. His arms wouldn't move. Neither would his legs. He lay there for a moment before trying to move again. No luck. Adrian began to panic. Here he was, on an island with god knows how many murderers running about, and here he was lying at the foot of a hill, unable to do anything.

"H...Help!" he cried out feebly. Maybe the two were still up there. Maybe they would hear him. Maybe.
ThoDuSt

Post by ThoDuSt »

Ishida took off, telling Sam to find her if Sam ever worked up the nerve to actually speak her mind.

Sam looked over toward Adrian, since she hadn't actually noticed him leaving his absence alarmed her. "Adrian?!" Sam yelled, working over to where the boy had been moments before. At first she didn't notice the boy lying in a crumpled heap at the foot of the hill, but after a few seconds the scene registered in her mind. In her panic she hurried down the slope, but when she almost slipped she recalled her own recent accident and realized what had likely happened to Adrian. She slowed her pace, she certainly wouldn't be of any help to Adrian if she fell again.

"Adrian! Are you okay? How bad is it?" She knew he wasn't okay, since there didn't appear to be anything holding him down. She hoped his answer to the second question wasn't as bad as she thought it would be.
randomness

Post by randomness »

Hearing footsteps next to him, Adrian knew that help was near.

"I... I can't move!" Adrian was way beyond panicking at this point. "I think I snapped something!"

Sam was standing next to him. Though he couldn't see her face ,he guessed that she was in shock too.

"Please... do something... It hurts!" he shouted. Then as soft as a whisper, "Please... help..."

Return to “The Felled Forest: South”