Law and Instinct

Named for all the captains who safely found their way to the island thanks to the lighthouse’s beacon, these cliffs are the highest on the island, the only nod towards safety from the jagged rocks below coming in the form of a naval-high chain link fence.
umop-ap!sdn†

Law and Instinct

Post by umop-ap!sdn† »

((Cassidy Kant continued from Olive Branch))

A towering light house was ahead. Cassidy rubbed her eyes to make sure it was real. A giant, literal beacon of hope. Even if they couldn't get it lit, she could stand at the top and look out to sea. Safe up there and away from all the trouble. An open mouthed smile came across her face, the first in days. There had been no ships in sight, no helicopters overhead, but that didn't mean there never would be. There would be a day when she would celebrate her survival. That she had gotten off away from this place alive. The payoff for staying above the game, the good-juju for not revenge killing Travis on the spot. If Karma was real, she was expecting a big refund.

And we should start that refund with some rescue...

Her ally probably had no idea how hard this was for her. Every moment the temptation to stick the knife in his side came, it was a continuous effort to ignore it and keep going. The thoughts resurfaced every step, and were quickly denied. Since their walk had started, it had become like a second heartbeat; "He's not looking," "His weapon is inconvenient," "He deserves it."

It would be easier just to kill him, this was work. Walking around with a monster holding out hope for rescue was harder than anyone back in the states would ever be able to understand. Tackling Travis and stabbing him in the throat would be easy, and maybe even satisfying. That wasn't how she lived her life before, and it wasn't how she wanted to life after, either. If she wanted to get out of this game, she needed to distance herself from that kind of thinking. Just because she was here now didn't mean she was on a moral vacation. She wasn't going to be swallowed by it.

She turned to Travis next to her, noting his exposed neck, and dismissing another yet opportunity, "Hold on, I want to check this place out."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler umop-ap!sdn. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Delroy†

Post by Delroy† »

[Travis Webster continued from Olive Branch...]

They'd been walking for ages now. He still had a slight limp as he walked, and his fingers were crudely bandaged up. Quite frankly, he felt like shit. It hadn't exactly been a day full of rest and recovery, and he had considered simply leaving her several times. Then he'd remembered her having one of his bags. And he'd already told himself he wouldn't kill her if he didn't have to.

While he hadn't exactly expected Cassidy to make for great conversation, it had been even worse than he'd expected. Most of the day had been spent brooding as they traversed from the western point of the island to the northernmost one. He was simply cooling off until he was ready to play the game again, while Cass still had her delusional belief in rescue that she would cling to.

Many times he had told her how stupid it was, or why it wouldn't happen. But she didn't listen to him. She kept her chin up, along with her hopes for a ship or helicopter coming by. In any other situation, he might have admired her for it. Now, it was beginning to piss him off.

As a matter of fact, when he saw how happy she'd become as they had reached Lighthouse Point, he couldn't help but feel disgusted. What was with her blind optimism? What use was this tower to them? Nobody was coming. Nobody had any idea that the Terrorists still existed. They were alone.

He looked up at the tower and dropped his backpack down on the ground.

"Fine by me. Doubt you're going to find anything, though."

Except a few bodies, perhaps.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Delroy. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
umop-ap!sdn†

Post by umop-ap!sdn† »

Cassidy brushed off Travis's discouraging words and started towards the tower. Bringing him along might have been a mistake, he'd only been a downer since their pairing. If anything, his constant putting down of her hopes only strengthened them. She was going to show him how completely wrong he was, about everything. And hopefully, when she was boarding whatever holy vehicle got their first, he would realize how stupid he'd been. For everything. If Travis was going to be her ally, she was going to escape out of spite.

A shed to the side of the building caught her eye. There were probably tools in there at one point. She veered to the side and headed for it.

"Wait, one sec."

She shuffled a little faster, not wanting to keep the impatient Travis waiting too long. She felt her excitement well up as she grabbed the handles and pulled back.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler umop-ap!sdn. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Delroy†

Post by Delroy† »

Travis yawned. Another distraction.

"Sure, you go ahead. The lighthouse won't be going anywhere, I guess..."

He was sure that this place was a waste of time as far as rescue went, but residing on top of a tower with a good view of anyone approaching wasn't a poor choice of location if you wanted to rest for a while. He could spin some bullshit story about how it was the best place to wait for rescue if it was what it took to get Cassidy to stay there. He needed to sleep some time, and keeping an eye out for any approaching guests would be something for more than just one pair of eyes.

"Just... don't take too long. I want to get out of the rain soon."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Delroy. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Grim Wolf

Post by Grim Wolf »

(Tyler Lucas continued from Hello, Goodbye, Twas Nice to Know You)

Rain kept falling, and Tyler wandered across the high bluffs, eyes fixed on the sky. He had his gun in his hand now.

Then he spied the shed. Then his eyes found Travis Webster.

He hefted his gun and fired.
Those Whose Time Has Come]

Terra Johnson (female student no. 73, DECEASED): Oh...duh...Abel's...dead...the one who...lives is...

Tom Swift (male student no. 60): It didn't matter what he wanted anymore.

Daria Bhatia (female student no. 56): "I pity you, and everyone who knows you. Because if you can live with this, I don't...I don't think you're human anymore.”

[+] Those Who Have Gone Before
[/url]

V6

Alex Tarquin (male student no. 32: "No more...masks..."

Tara Behzad (female student no. 12): "They don't get to decide how I die."

Lizzie Luz: "I don't want to go."

V5

Tyler Lucas: "I had fun. You?"

Karen Idel: Game over.

Xavier Contel: "G-gotta...trust people, Arthur. G-g-gotta try. C-can't be afraid."

v4

Naoko Raidon (male student no. 54): Dying like...this isn't...so...bad...

Mirabelle Nesa: "I'm a weak little girl who couldn't save anyone, even myself, but god damn it I beat you and god damn it you are going to remember that because I am Mirabelle Nesa and I am a hardened goddamn warrior and I am not going to fucking give up now!"

Simon Grey: "I never was a hero, but, God help me, I tried."

David Meramac: "Running towards nothing. Running from nothing."
umop-ap!sdn†

Post by umop-ap!sdn† »

A bunch of tools were strewn about the shed, the "game masters" must have looted the shed for anything too useful or weapon like. She shut the doors and shrugged as she walked back to Travis. Nothing seemed too important to leave behind, but they could also always come back.

"Let's head insi-"

A huge gunshot rang out and echoed over the cliffs. She jumped and put her hands on herself instinctively, feeling for wounds or any kind of injury. She turned to see if Travis was fine before feeling his hand grip her forearm. He pulled at her, and she stumbled towards him, ready to make an escape from their attacker with him. She stifled a scream and caught her footing, preparing to run.

Travis wasn't running.

Another gunshot rang out. This time the echo rang louder, so loud and strong that she could feel it in her body. Her knees bucked, the sound didn't end, nor did the feeling. Travis kept the grip on her one arm as the other came to her stomach and became covered in blood. She felt the warm, taunting liquid on her skin. Pulling her arm away to see the damage, she quickly wished she hadn't. Her legs surrendered and she feel to her knees.

She couldn't stand, she couldn't walk. Everything was getting hazy and farther away. Her arm came free of Travis's hold. One hand planted on the ground, the other stayed at her abdomen, hopelessly trying to hold in blood. She stared blankly at the swirling ground in front of her, wondering if she would ever stand again. There was no time to process rage or regret or even disappointment anymore, there wasn't really time for anything.

A few wet coughs brought the taste of copper to her mouth. She lazily let it drip towards the ground. It swung pendulously as her weakening body began to sway.

You got shot. You're not leaving. She fell to the side and coughed again.

Matt had told her about an afterlife. All of the interesting people she would meet, all of the questions she had that would be answered. Hopefully, at least.

G009, CASSIDY KANT: DECEASED

I'll see you soon.
Delroy†

Post by Delroy† »

He waited impatiently outside. He wished he could've had a smoke, but he hadn't brought cigarettes on the trip. Perhaps he could loot some off the next body he found.

His eyes wandered over the surrounding cliffs. He didn't expect to see anything.... or anyone. But there he was, locking eyes with Tyler Lucas. Unlike last time, however... Tyler had a gun. A submachine gun.

Shit! Out of everyone I could run into on this island!

Cassidy walked towards him, unaware of the current situation. Trav's mind worked incredibly fast. A solution came to his head.

The first shot rang out.

He had to work quickly! He was seconds away from death! He looked at Cass with grim determination and grabbed her. She looked surprised, maybe even shocked. Maybe she wasn't aware of what was about to happen.

Cassidy Kant, his traveling companion, had been demoted to "human shield". She hadn't been much fun to talk to anyway.

The second bullet was far better aimed than the first. Had he not done what he did, that bullet would most assuredly have hit him. Now, however, it only hit Cass. Straight in the lower torso.

"Sorry Cass. But I told you, there is only one way to get off this island alive. Nobody is coming."

Her legs gave out, and he finally dropped her. He let her fall on the hard rock and turned. He grabbed his scalpel and the other bag off the ground. He quickly began his escape. For some reason, the giant had stopped firing. He flipped Tyler the bird on the way.

Until next time, asshole.

[Travis Webster continued elsewhere...]
Grim Wolf

Post by Grim Wolf »

The girl fell.

Tyler's eyes flickered, went wide. He released his grip on the trigger, too late, as the girl swayed on her feet and then fell.

And Travis was already moving, finger in the air. Tyler snapped up his gun and fired again, but he was already ducking back behind the cliffs and out of sight.

So Tyler ran after him. Charged forward, as the rain came pouring down around him, running thick off his face and through his greasy buzzcut hair, clinging to the bandages around his arm and his face. Running with the gun slumped in his hand.

And then he reached the girl's side, and knelt beside her, wrapping his meaty hands around her shoulders.

"No," he said, and then, "No. You didn't fight. You didn't...you didn't do anything."

But the girl wasn't responding. An empty slack-jawed face stared up into the seething sky, as blood poured from her stomach.

"You weren't fighting," Tyler hissed. "You weren't killing. You weren't a part of this. This was our game. What the fuck were you doing here? Why...?"

But she didn't answer. She couldn't. There was no girl there anymore.

He stared at her face for a long time, then set her gently down back to the ground as though she could still feel pain. They were coated in viscous red, but the falling rain blurred that, too, washing it quietly away, until his hands were clean again.

He stared at his clean hands, then lifted his head in the direction Travis had fled. His mouth twitched, and he turned his eyes back to the girl's corpse.

"Sorry," he said. "You didn't fight. You didn't deserve this." His head turned back towards the grey horizon. "I'll get him."

(Tyler Lucas continued in Oh...Hi...)
Those Whose Time Has Come]

Terra Johnson (female student no. 73, DECEASED): Oh...duh...Abel's...dead...the one who...lives is...

Tom Swift (male student no. 60): It didn't matter what he wanted anymore.

Daria Bhatia (female student no. 56): "I pity you, and everyone who knows you. Because if you can live with this, I don't...I don't think you're human anymore.”

[+] Those Who Have Gone Before
[/url]

V6

Alex Tarquin (male student no. 32: "No more...masks..."

Tara Behzad (female student no. 12): "They don't get to decide how I die."

Lizzie Luz: "I don't want to go."

V5

Tyler Lucas: "I had fun. You?"

Karen Idel: Game over.

Xavier Contel: "G-gotta...trust people, Arthur. G-g-gotta try. C-can't be afraid."

v4

Naoko Raidon (male student no. 54): Dying like...this isn't...so...bad...

Mirabelle Nesa: "I'm a weak little girl who couldn't save anyone, even myself, but god damn it I beat you and god damn it you are going to remember that because I am Mirabelle Nesa and I am a hardened goddamn warrior and I am not going to fucking give up now!"

Simon Grey: "I never was a hero, but, God help me, I tried."

David Meramac: "Running towards nothing. Running from nothing."

Return to “Captain's Cliffs”