Down the Road, Not Across the Street

Open

The sawmill was the backbone of the island's infrastructure and as such, is very large; complete with a small series of bunkhouses for employees to live in as well as a small mess hall to provide food. Next to the main building are three logging trucks for delivering the wood, while they have no gas inside of them they still provide excellent cover. Inside the sawmill are many devices used to treat the wood and prepare it for shipping. The machines show some signs of use and there is still a thick layer of sawdust, but the blades aren't liable to move as the power has been shut off.
Super Llama†

Down the Road, Not Across the Street

Post by Super Llama† »

{{continued from Fatal Fury, later in the day}}

Maria didn't know when she lost consciousness, but the next thing she remembered was waking up to see the sun start to make it's way back down under the horizon. For a while, she just laid there, watching the sun blankly, before remembering there was something she had to do.

She got up to her feet, staggering a bit. She could hardly even feel the pain anymore. Well, maybe that wasn't the right choice of wording. She could feel it (oh man could she feel it) but it was more like 'oh yeah, this really hurts, doesn't it? Huh...' Limping around the burnt-out bunkhouse, she was amazing to find that it was actually still burning, albeit nowhere near as bad as it was before when that bastard got away. Guess there was still some stuff left that the fire hadn't burnt to cinders.

Walking past the bunkhouse, she noticed her daypack, realizing that she could really use some water right about now. Picking up the bag and zipping it open, she searched around in the bag.

And searched some more.

And then searched one last time.

Finally, she just turned the bag upside down and dumped the contents onto the ground. Her eyesight was still pretty bad, and her eyes still stung from the smoke, but she could definitely tell that all her water and rations were gone. Even the last of her pixie stix were missing that son of a bitch stole everything you idiot if you had just set it somewhere other than right out in the open. Well...that was certainly inconvenient. Maybe Cass still had something.

Stepping inside the sawmill, she caught sight of Cass on the floor, lying amongst a sticky puddle of red with a large wound in her back. Maria looked around the room a bit, realizing that Cass' javelin was missing as well he probably stole that too KILL HIM you couldn't do anything to save her you failure. Standing there, she stared at Cass for a while, suddenly feeling rather unsettled, like she should be a lot sadder than she was, but there was this weird disconnect, like she was walking around in somebody else's body, witnessing things they would find horrifying, hearing their thoughts in the back of her mind, but more like just hearing a television going in the next room.

Oh yeah, there was something she was supposed to be doing, wasn't there?

Maria limped over to Cass, reaching down and peeling her off the floor, the front of her body stained with red. It took some doing, but she managed to get her up beside her, arm over her shoulder as she dragged her out of the building, her pace rather slow going as she made her way to one of the other, still-intact bunkhouses. She walked down the row, looking at all the beds. They were all identical, but Maria still felt like only one of them would do.

Eventually, she found the right one.

Reaching down and pulling the blanket back, she carefully laid Cass down on the bed, repositioning her just right before pulling the blanket over her. Returning to the Sawmill for Cass' bag, she came back, setting the pack beside her. Even with Cass' pained expression, Maria still had the feeling that she was finally at peace. No more having to live day to day wondering if or when you were going to die, or when your friends were going to die in front of you. No more psychos with guns, no more old, stale bread, no more voices on the intercom, slowly breaking you down as it turns everyone into a name and a stupid joke.

So lucky

Maria was taken by surprise by that thought. She didn't know why, but the seemingly innocuous thought seemed a lot darker. Was she...jealous of Cass?

But then again, why wouldn't she be? Cass was finally free of all this, but Maria was still here. Still forced to suffer from day to day. More psychos, more pain, more trauma and inner demons.

But did it have to be that way?

Yeah...she didn't have to put up with this anymore. There was still a way out. Why didn't she think of this before?

Maybe she could see Duncan and Cass again?

Stepping outside, she limped around until she found a hefty rock. Picking it up with her good arm, she smashed the rock against the window of the bunkhouse, breaking it before reaching in and pulling a good-sized shard of glass from the frame. Then she sat down, leaning against the wall as she brought the piece in closer and stared at it, seeing a bruised and battered face staring back, covered in red, and eyes with any trace of soul drained out of them. The eyes of an empty and broken human being.

Do it.

Just one swift movement. It'll hurt a bit, but after that it'll all be fine.

Do it.

Just one swift movement...

Do it.

She tilted her head back and brought the shard of glass up to her neck, just above her collar. It felt cold against her skin, and the tip was especially sharp, already starting to hurt a bit.

Just one swift movement.

She hesitated for a brief moment, though she wasn't really sure why. Maybe some kind of self-preservation thingy, trying to convince her one last time not to go through with it.

Do it.

How annoying.

She pressed the shard of glass in further and it bit into her neck, a small trickle of red dripping down. She hesitated again, trying to move her hand but finding it frozen in place. She started to tremble, her eyes leaking tears. Her grip on the shard of glass tightened, feeling as it cut into her hand as well.

She stayed there for a few moments, trying to calm down. Trying to steady her hand.

This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the former handler Super Llama.
Yossarian†

Post by Yossarian† »

((Maxwell Crowe continued from But I Might Die Tonight))

(Half a day earlier, in the forest)

Although nothing really happened to him and his new group he formed at the mountain, Max was getting more and more nervous with each passing hour. Earlier, he wanted to find Maria. To learn what happened with her, why did she kill someone, and also to comfort her. Now he NEEDED to find her. The reason was obviously Danya and his obnoxious voice declaring Duncan McMahon another victim of the game.

Duncan. Max recalled meeting him for the first time in the mall. Quiet, a bit insecure, but overall a really nice fellow. Then he remembered the Blank Nation jam, where Max taught him the 'Concert behavior 101', before throwing him on the hands of the crowd. Those were great memories, and that saddened Max even more, when he realized he'll never have a chance to repeat that with Duncan. And if Maxwell barely knew him, then Maria (who was his best friend) had to be completely devastated. The time was running out before she'll do something stupid, Max felt it in his guts. And yet, the chance of finding here were minimal, because she could be everywhere on this God-forsaken island. They searched for her the day before without any luck, and it didn't look like the next day would be any different.

(present time)

As they changed the scenery from forest to a field of tree stumps, Maxwell noticed his hands started trembling a bit. Thank God, he still had the working iPod with him, so he put the headphones on, and started listening to the most hardcore death metal he could find. Several minutes later, he was already much better. After that, he immediately turned the music off. Half the reason was the battery level. He had to preserve it as long as possible, because he had no idea how would he deal with stress, if he'll be cut from his only music source. The second reason was a simple fact, that listening to music while wandering with someone else was just plain rude.

But before he could excuse himself for that act, or even contemplate the situation some more, Maxwell noticed a sawmill nearby. Normally there wouldn't be anything weird about it, but then he witnessed a small rock breaking the window from the inside out. Someone was inside, and it didn't look like that certain someone was chilling out.

Max extended his arm toward the rest of the team and gestured 'Stay here' with his open palm, before pulling out the gun from his back pocket. He slowly made his way to the entrance of the mill. He wasn't going to play hero of course. No, he just wanted to scout the situation, and evacuate everyone if the situation would be too dangerous. What he saw inside though, was the last thing he expected.

Is that... Maria?

There was no mistake. The same posture, clothes and hairstyle he could recognize everywhere. On the other hand though, that definitely wasn't Maria he used to know. She was badly beaten up and looked liked a wreckage. Both physically and mentally. And if his eyesight wasn't deceiving him, she held one of the glass shards from the broken window, put it on her neck, and...

"OH MY GOD, MARIA NOOOO!"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Yossarian. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Super Llama†

Post by Super Llama† »

Maria's eyes snapped open as she heard somebody yelling her name. Somebody familiar, it sounded like. Looking down, she noticed somebody with long blond hair frantically running her way.

"Oh...hey Max." She said to him, offering a friendly smile that didn't fit at all with the current situation.

Maxwell...

No. No, not that one. The other one. The good one. This one was her friend. At least she assumed he was still the good one. She hadn't heard his name on the announcements, at least, but that didn't mean he was running around TRYING to kill people and just failing.

Well, whatever. She didn't really care what he'd been doing this whole time. It was still good to see him again.

One last time.

Lowering the shard of glass, the smile faded as she got to business. "Max, Cass is in the bunkhouse behind me. And...so is her pack. You can have whatever's inside." She explained, figuring that that should explain well enough what happened to her. "And I got..." She reached behind her with her other hand, pulling the flare gun out and setting it down next to her. "...this as my weapon. Not as good as a real gun, but I guess it has it's uses."

The smell of barbequed pork.

"My pack's over by the sawmill. All my food and water got stolen, but you can have whatever's left if you want." She continued, looking over at the large building in question. Her voice was very strange as she spoke. The way she was talking, it sounded more like she was leaving on a business trip instead of...well, what she was really doing. But at the same time, her voice sounded so weary, betraying everything that had happened to her over the last 6 days, perhaps more than the bruises, the lack of a shirt and the dried blood all over her.

Duncan's blood...

"It..." Maria started again, fingering the shard of glass in her hand. "...it's really good to see you again. ...Hopefully you'll be able to make it out of here."

And then she returned the shard of glass to her neck.

Really, she was grateful to see Max again. But it was too late. She knew by now if she stuck around with Max, she'd just have to watch him die. That is, if she didn't die first, killed by some ruthless killer like Lombardi and ending up as just a name and a bad joke.

No. If she was going to die here, she wanted it to be on her own terms. She knew she was going to die sooner or later, so this was the best solution...right?

This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the former handler Super Llama.
Yossarian†

Post by Yossarian† »

Max stared terrified at his friend. For the first time since he was dropped on the island, he understood how much it can break a person. In fact, Maxwell could consider himself extremely lucky. Six days on the island, and the biggest hostility he encountered (excluding himself, when he lost the grip with reality for a few moments) was the guy with a shovel who just looked weird, and did nothing. But Maria...Max had no idea what happened to her but it had to be horrible, if the most cheerful and crazy girl he ever met changed into a shade of her former self, and delivered... A suicide speech?

She mentioned Cass. Max tried to block that thought at first, but it was futile. He recalled the concert again, when they were rocking out the crowd together, before crowd surfing as Maria played kickass drum solos. And then the tears started falling down on his cheeks.

"No... Not her too..."

Maria continued. She wanted him to take all the stuff she and Cass had. It was painfully obvious, that she was going to end with herself in a moment, and yet Max was frozen in place, just crying and shaking his head.

"No... Don't say that... No..."

"It... it's really good to see you again. Hopefully you'll be able to make it out of here."

And then he saw in slow motion, as his friend took the shard of glass again, determined to end her life once and for all.

"NO!"

That's when all of the blockades in Maxwell's mind and body got lifted. He won't let her do that. He won't let another friend die, this time in front of him. He dropped the gun on the floor, and rushed to Maria s fast as he could. As he reached her, he grabbed the shard glass he was holding, and took it away using full force, cutting his left hand in the process. He threw it away immediately, and before Maria could do anything, he hugged her. Tightly, so she could feel him, but gentle enough to not hurt her body even more. He held her like that for a few moments without the intention of stopping, put his head on her shoulder, and stared as his tears slowly traveled from his face to her back.

"Don't give up... I beg you, just don't give up now..."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Yossarian. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Super Llama†

Post by Super Llama† »

Deep breath...deep breath...

Do it.

Suddenly, Max grabbed hold of Maria's hand, trying to wrench the shard of glass away from her. She resisted right away, trying to hold onto it, the sharp edges digging into her palm until they drew red, and cutting a deeper gash in her neck (but fortunately missing anything vital.) Finally, Max succeeded in pulling the shard of glass out of her hand and tossing it aside, and Maria went wide-eyed as her tool of escape flew off out of reach.

"Aah, NO!" She yelled, when suddenly a single thought came to mind.

Collar.

Ugh, of course, how could she forget? Maria reached up to hook her finger into her collar.

But Max got there first, throwing his arms around her and hugging her tightly, ensuring that she couldn't blow her collar without hurting him in the process. Frustration started to well up, and she tried to push Max away.

"Get away! Get away, I have to do this!" She yelled in protest, but Max refused to budge, and her efforts dissolved into futilely pounding on Max's back and shoulders with her fists, which wasn't even very hard thanks to her weakened state.

"Please..." Maria said, resorting to pleading, Max's tears causing her to start to sob herself. "I can't take this anymore. All I've done since I got here was get beat up, shot at and watch everybody I care about die one by one. Warren, I...I couldn't even find him in time. It was barely even morning and Omar already got to him. I watched Duncan get shot right in front of me. He fell right on me and I was right there, covered in his blood and I...I felt him die, and there wasn't anything I could do to help him. There was so much I wanted to tell him, about how I loved him, and I never got the chance."

"And...Cass..."

Lombardi

"T...t-the guy who killed Duncan, h-he came back and he shot her, and I had to run away, and..."

MONSTER

Maria could feel the anger, the indignation, separate from herself, rising again, her voice trembling. She'd finally returned Max's hug a while ago, but now her hands were clenching again, nail jabbing into Max's back as she tried to bring herself under control.

"I...I tried to run away, and he c-c-caught up, and he started mocking Duncan and Cass and me...a..."

Easy

Deep breath.

"...and I lost control. I wanted to kill him. I tried to kill him! With my own hands!" Her hands balled into fists again, the rage turning into fear and back into desperation. Desperation to end all this before it got any worse. "This whole thing, it's turning me into this horrible person. Making me think all these horrible thoughts.

Please...just let me die. I just want to die on my own terms. There's no other way out. If I keep going, I'm just going to have to watch more people die, and it's just going to turn me into more of a horrible person."

"Please..."
ZombiexCreame†

Post by ZombiexCreame† »

((Josie Vernon and Sierra Manning continued from But I Might Die Tonight))

The small group seemed to walk endlessly, but it was mostly uneventful, thankfully. Josie's eyes kept darting from side to side, but she never saw an axe-wielding psycho as she expected. Instead, it was just the eerie silence and the uncomfortable aura brushing around the group of people. She didn't even really mind much when Max listened to his iPod, blasting ridiculously loud music that she could hear through the earbuds. It actually sounded like good stuff, but music was something that Josie would probably never get to enjoy again. She didn't think to bring her own iPod, although just thinking about it made her think of all the crappy bands that she loved to share with Sierra. Most of them with morbid names like "Bleedy Heart" and "Stab My Soul to Bits." Those were good times, the two of them sitting in the cafeteria with the two ear buds shared between them, listening to death metal and uncomfortably loud screamo.

Now, thinking clearly on it, Josie wasn't sure if she wanted to hear that kind of music ever again. She didn't want to hear about other people's petty pains and grievances. She had her own to deal with, and she honestly doubted she would be able to relate to anyone in any song... ever. Were there any songs out there about kids on an island forced to kill each other? Actually, maybe. Who knew?

After awhile, Max stopped listening and put the iPod away. He was probably just conversing the battery or something, Josie would assume. They walked through a forest of stumps and came out to a building ahead. Josie opened her mouth to say something, but she was silenced by Max who gestured for everyone to stay behind while he made sure everything was safe. Josie wanted to object and go with him, but he was the one with the gun... and she was the one with the birthday invite. So, she decided that arguing was useless.

There was indeed a figure ahead, but Josie didn't recognize them at first. They looked thoroughly beaten up, and Max didn't say much at first, but then he suddenly yelled out. It was Maria, the girl he was looking for! And she was.. Was she trying to kill herself? That glass shard was against her neck. Josie merely stood and stared at the scene ahead, her body becoming very tired from carrying both her own packs and Sierra's, but she would never admit that she was tired. Never in a thousand years.

She honestly wasn't sure if she should interfere. Should she hang back or go over there and do something? Max and Maria looked like they were having an emotional moment, what with Max taking that glass shard from her and saving her from her suicide attempt. Josie mostly felt disconnected from the situation, even though she knew Maria a bit more than most of her classmates. She wasn't entirely sure what she would do anyway. Josie wasn't very sympathetic, nor did she give good advice. Besides, how could you tell someone that their life was worth it? On this island, no one's life was worth it. It really was better to end it all.

Probably the biggest reason that Josie didn't lurch forward and try to help was because... It all reminded her of herself and Sierra standing at the cliff's edge, ready to jump and end it all. The thought of suicide had passed by her mind several times, and she could sympathize with Maria in that regard. So... she wasn't exactly the person to ask when it came to preventing a suicide.

Josie strained her ears to listen to Maxwell and Maria. She heard mention of Warren, that guy that Omar killed. She wanted to say something to Sierra, but she doubted this was the time or place to bring up Omar. She didn't want Sierra to begin crying on top of this whole situation... But alas, she was becoming weary, so she let her bags drop softly to the ground. Turning to Sierra, she said, "I-I hope everything's okay over there..." She kept staring at Maxwell, waiting for him to turn and give her a look that would assure her that everything was peachy, but no look was given. "Poor Maria... Been through more than most of us have, I'm sure."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler ZombiexCreame. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Grim Wolf

Post by Grim Wolf »

(David Meramac continued from But I Might Die Tonight)

Watch, watch, watch as someone else breaks down, watch as the island drives another person to despair, and wonder if forming this group is really the right thing to do.

He knew Maria Graham, sort of. High energy, kind of like him, except a bit too...oh, what's the word? Enthusiastic, maybe? Whatever it was, trying to keep up with her had always seemed a little too daunting to David, so he'd never really taken the time.

He felt like an intruder on this scene--on this moment of weakness, on this moment of complete and abject despair. He was here, on the periphery, after days of travel; he was here, he was still hungry, he was tired, he was alone.

Fuck. Maybe she's right.

His eyes flashed to the discarded shard of glass and his fingers flickered up to his neck, trailed along the leather, darted back to his side. His head and stomach ached, and his throat felt dry; he was down to half a bottle of water, and he'd almost run out of food.

Falling in with the others hadn't really helped. All it had really done was make him precisely aware how beaten and helpless they all were.
Those Whose Time Has Come]

Terra Johnson (female student no. 73, DECEASED): Oh...duh...Abel's...dead...the one who...lives is...

Tom Swift (male student no. 60): It didn't matter what he wanted anymore.

Daria Bhatia (female student no. 56): "I pity you, and everyone who knows you. Because if you can live with this, I don't...I don't think you're human anymore.”

[+] Those Who Have Gone Before
[/url]

V6

Alex Tarquin (male student no. 32: "No more...masks..."

Tara Behzad (female student no. 12): "They don't get to decide how I die."

Lizzie Luz: "I don't want to go."

V5

Tyler Lucas: "I had fun. You?"

Karen Idel: Game over.

Xavier Contel: "G-gotta...trust people, Arthur. G-g-gotta try. C-can't be afraid."

v4

Naoko Raidon (male student no. 54): Dying like...this isn't...so...bad...

Mirabelle Nesa: "I'm a weak little girl who couldn't save anyone, even myself, but god damn it I beat you and god damn it you are going to remember that because I am Mirabelle Nesa and I am a hardened goddamn warrior and I am not going to fucking give up now!"

Simon Grey: "I never was a hero, but, God help me, I tried."

David Meramac: "Running towards nothing. Running from nothing."
Yossarian†

Post by Yossarian† »

Maxwell held his friend tight as she tried to break away. He still cried, as she told him her story. It was unbelievable how fortunate was he to avoid any kind of conflict, while Maria encountered troubles at every step. He felt bad about it, because he couldn't find her earlier and do something to repel Lombardi before he killed Duncan and Cass.

But not all was lost. Not everyone was a monster, three people who traveled with him proved that. Maria, his dear friend, was still alive, Max made a strong decision to keep her that way (both physically and mentally) at all cost. He wiped out the tears from his face, put his hands on Maria's shoulders, and looked in her blue eyes.

"You won't. You won't become a horrible person, if you won't accept it. You've been through some horrible things, and you lost yourself. But you're not the only one. I've lost myself for a moment as well, but I managed to calm down before anything tragic happened. You just have to be strong, and I know you can be. Besides..." Max bit his lip to gather the thoughts before continuing. "Besides..."

Okay, now he screwed up. He wanted to say something along the lines off 'You still have things to go back to in States', but he knew that would be a dead end. She told him once, long time ago, about her dead father and mother obsessed with career. He also heard about Maria's recent breaking up with both Zach and Blank Nation. So no, as far as he knew, she didn't have anything to go back at the moment. He still had to say something though. As he dug the past, he thought about himself, when he first met Maria. He was a sad kid, who lived with the feeling that every other kid was a worthless snob, who only cared about money. It was Maria, and her friends who showed him the the joy of being teenager. As he decided to go that way, he smiled weakly for a split second before going back to his speech.

"Besides... Think about it this way. You know who you are for me? A dear friend, but also a symbol. A symbol of free spirit which carried me through the entire high school. You know how miserable my life was before I met you, Cass, Warren, Winston and everyone else? You showed me how to enjoy life... And now you want to take it away along with yours. And that won't be the end. I'll probably break down as well some time later. And what kind of chain reaction will happen after my breakdown? How many people will become empty shells and take away their lives? How many will become ruthless killers like Lombardi? I don't know that, but I KNOW, that it will only prove one thing - that douchbag, heartless murderers are the strongest, and only they deserve to live. That's right, Danya's point. He will win. You want to let him win, after all he did to you, me, Cass, Duncan and everyone else? I don't, and that's why I have to stay strong, and so do you. Do it for yourself, for me, for Cookie Monster or whoever you want to do it for, but PLEASE, stay strong god damn it..."

Max stopped at that pointed, since he ran out of both arguments and saliva in his mouth. It definitely wasn't a debate winning speech. In fact, it was pretty pathetic, made out from every single argument that came to his head, without even trying to think whether it was good or bad in this situation. It was a miserable and desperate attempt to keep that dying flame of Maria's spirit alive, but it was spoken all for the right reason, and Max could only pray now, that it would work.
Super Llama†

Post by Super Llama† »

Max ignored Maria's pleas to let her die, trying everything he could think of saying to try and snap her out of it a she clung to him like a frightened child, tears pouring down her cheeks. She wanted more than anything to keep everyone safe. As soon as she got Duncan and Cass together, there was hope that maybe, just maybe, they'd find someone able to get them out of this hell. But in the end, it was just a pipe dream.

She couldn't do anything to help Warren.

She couldn't do anything to help Duncan.

She couldn't do anything to help Cass.

And she wouldn't be able to do anything to help Max.

It was just too painful. Max's words; She was touched that she apparently meant that much to him, and murderous psychos like Lombardi definitely didn't deserve to make it out of here, climbing over the bodies of their victims.

But she couldn't do it. She couldn't be that strong. Every second she spent conscious and alive was another reminder of her failure. It was like a black hole of despair, one she couldn't get away from, and one that was growing ever larger.

Too painful.

It was just too painful...

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

A strange noise suddenly resounded, startling Maria out of her despair-ridden thoughts at least for the moment.

W-what the hell was that!?

She pulled back, looking around and trying to find the source of the noise. Only to realize.

Oh...

Her face flushed a bit.

"Uh, I...I'm kind of hungry."

When was the last time she ate something? The last time she remembered eating something was back at the grocery store, which was...Jesus Christ, 2 DAYS AGO! No wonder she was hungry. And it only got worse the more she thought about it GODDAMN SHE COULD EAT A WHOLE FREAKING HORSE. Or like 3 dozen Philly Cheese Steaks.

Oh God, Philly Cheese Steaks. That'd be SOOOO good right now.

"You...you wouldn't happen to have gotten a Philly Cheese Steak as a weapon, did you? Cause I could really go for one of those right about now."
ZombiexCreame†

Post by ZombiexCreame† »

Josie looked down at the bags at her feet, not finding much else to do. The leader of their little group, Max, was off enticing Maria that life was worth living, so Josie was left off to the side with the other members of their small team. David wasn't saying much and neither was Sierra, so Josie preoccupied herself with staring at the grass or the beautiful sky above... Neither of which were particularly interesting, but Josie didn't want to look like a creeper and listen on to the little touching speech that he was relaying to Maria. If she forced her ears to tune in to his words, she could hear emotion-filled words of courage and hope.

With how much effort Max was putting into helping Maria feel better, Josie would be surprised if his hard work didn't pay off! Maria would have to come to her senses shortly, right?

God, Josie sure hoped so. She wouldn't be able to bear watching someone kill herself right before her very eyes. On top of how absolutely horrible that would be, she would also feel very guilty for not doing anything to stop the death. Then again, Max would probably feel worse, right?

Maybe she should just go over there and see if everything was okay. That wouldn't be to intrusive, right? She didn't exactly want to burst in during a particularly touching moment, but... everything looked calm right now, she supposed.

Passing a look at both David and Sierra, Josie started forward and only caught a few words from Maria once she stepped into their vicinity. Something about... Philly cheese steaks? Really? Here she was, assuming that Max and Maria were having some heartfelt conversation about life and how it would benefit everyone by remaining in this game for just awhile longer, but they were talking about food.

Josie had to admit though. Even the thought of a Philly cheese steak was making her crave like ~mad~.

"'Kay, I'm hungry now," Josie said with a smile, settling herself down beside Max and Maria. "I, uh, hope that I'm not.." She felt too casual. Who just sits down beside a battered girl who just tries to commit suicide and talk abut food? No one! Josie stood back up and shook her head, finding himself unable to communicate for a moment. She wasn't sure what to say, and she looked at Max pleadingly, wishing for him to say something to make her feel less uncomfortable.

He probably wouldn't. Oh well. Story of Joze's life.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler ZombiexCreame. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Grim Wolf

Post by Grim Wolf »

David's mouth twisted, and the fierce hunger clawing away in his stomach dissolved a little.

"Philly Cheese Steak," he repeated. "You're dreaming of fantasy food and you chose a Philly Cheese Steak." He shook his head. "Hamburgers, KFC, Ramen, fried catfish, ice cream, shepherd's pie, and you want Philly Cheese Steaks."

David had never liked Philly Cheese Steak.

"I mean, I guess I shouldn't argue," he grunted, sudden embarrassment stealing up on him as he realized what he was ranting about. He took a step back and looked at the ground. "I..." He swallowed. "I'm hungry too."

Hungry, and tired, and weak. If he ran now, would it even take him anywhere?

"Sorry."

Terra Johnson (female student no. 73, DECEASED): Oh...duh...Abel's...dead...the one who...lives is...

Daria Bhatia (female student no. 56): "I pity you, and everyone who knows you. Because if you can live with this, I don't...I don't think you're human anymore.”

[/url]

V6

V5

Xavier Contel: "G-gotta...trust people, Arthur. G-g-gotta try. C-can't be afraid."

v4

Mirabelle Nesa: "I'm a weak little girl who couldn't save anyone, even myself, but god damn it I beat you and god damn it you are going to remember that because I am Mirabelle Nesa and I am a hardened goddamn warrior and I am not going to fucking give up now!"

Super Llama†

Post by Super Llama† »

((possible GMing, because Max (and consequently Maria) is really close to the inactivity deadline and we should probably get moving. I'll see if I can change it later if it isn't approved.))

Sadly, Max had no Philly Cheese Steaks on hand, so Maria had to make due with plain old boring island rations from Max's pack. Still, Philly Cheese Steak or no, her stomach couldn't give less of a shit right now and was just glad to have SOMETHING. She ate her fill, had a few swigs of water, and made a bit of reluctant idle banter with the other people who were apparently traveling with Max before coming to a conclusion.

"I...I don't want to be here anymore." She said simply, carefully getting to her feet and wincing in pain as the wound in her leg asserted its existence. "Can we get out of here?"

Max agreed, and went over to gather up what was left of Maria's belongings back into her bag as she went back into the bunkhouse, coming face to face with Cass' body again. She stared blankly at the bloodied sheet for a moment before remembering what she came in here to do, opening up her pack and pulling out the remaining food and water, along with the first aid kit.

"Sorry, Cass, but I don't really think you'll need these anymore." She said, setting them aside. Looking down at Cass again, she carefully leaned in and wrapped her arms around the body under the sheet, giving Cass a hug and ignoring the burning pain in her shoulder. She thought maybe it would make her feel better, but surprise surprise, once again feeling the cold, stiff, dead body of one of her best friends and erasing any lingering doubt that she was suddenly going to spring to life and be like "Ha ha, just kidding" didn't really do much for her mood. If anything, she was probably just getting more dried blood on her, but fuck it. Just add it to the collection.

Pulling back, Maria suddenly came to a realization.

Nobody was looking at her right now.

She could still do it.

Just a quick tug on her collar, and it'd be all over.

Her hand crept up to her neck.

Do it.

Fingers hooking underneath the metal.

Do it.

Just one quick tug.

DO IT.

She gently pulled forward on the collar just a little bit.

And then unhooked her fingers from the collar.

Maybe later.

"...Bye Cass."

Grabbing the supplies again, she hobbled back outside just as Max was coming back with her bag, and added the supplies to the bag, except for what she'd eaten just a while ago, which she handed over to Max, ignoring his protests. Looking back at Josie and David (as she learned what their names were, though to tell the truth she didn't really remember meeting either of them,) she limped off into the distance with Max, sticking right by him.

"Max?

...please don't die."

{{continued in White Sparrows}}
SOTF_Help

Post by SOTF_Help »

Max left with Maria. Unfortunately, he soon managed to lose track of the girl, and found himself heading up the mountain instead of following her.

((Maxwell Crowe continued in Aching Chest and Blurry Sight))
Grim Wolf

Post by Grim Wolf »

David stayed to the side with the others, hesitating, nervous. He, unlike the others, saw when Maria's fingers closed around her collar. Instead of crying out--stop, no, don't, there's so much to live for, what are you doing, no--his chest seized up and his eyes widened. No sound escaped him; someone would have had to look at David's face (and who was looking at David's face, really, they all had their own concerns, getting ready to leave) to notice something was wrong at all.

But her fingers slipped away, and she got to her feet before anyone else (as far as David knew) had seen a damn thing.

She was going to kill herself and you did nothing.

The thought didn't bother him, David discovered. The realization that his fellow human being could commit suicide and David could stand idly by was not at odds with what he had come to discover about himself over the past few days on the island.

He was a coward.

He had never taken the time to think about it before. He could swing a bat, he could run, he could be audacious in sports and he could struggle towards a goal--that 4 minute mile--with all his strength. He could run on a rooftop and suffer pain. He could take risks, as long as those risks were fun and wholly of the self.

But he couldn't do this. He couldn't live with this collar around his neck, weighing him down with the thought of death. And he understood all too well why Maria Graham would have wanted to kill herself. Only fear had prevented him from doing so; perhaps when someone became as hurt as she had clearly been, they no longer cared.

David idly wondered if he would ever get that hurt--if there was enough pain to erase the fear in him that alone prevented him from taking his own life. It was that curiosity, more than anything else, that made him move after Max and Maria with the others.

(David Meramac continued in White Sparrows)

[/url]

V6

V5

v4

ZombiexCreame†

Post by ZombiexCreame† »

Maria stated that she didn't want to be here any longer, and Josie honestly couldn't agree more. The situation felt so stagnant and uncomfortable, she just wanted to be away from here so she could breathe. She wanted to be away from the suicidal Maria and the disturbingly quiet David. She wanted to be with no one but Sierra, but she had to remind herself that it was her who chose to follow Max. Josie herself had realized that following along with Max was a good idea, but she began to wonder.

Maria and Max limped off, and Josie watched them go, looking over at her best friend and shrugging. David began to follow and with no other idea in mind, Josie and Sierra followed behind... and soon realized that Max was nowhere to be seen. Where the hell did he go? Did he get separated?

She came to the realization that she was essentially alone with Maria (sans Sierra and David, the latter she didn't know very well), so she decided to book it now before Maria decided to kill herself and spray Josie with blood and whothehell knew what else. "C'mon, Sierra. Let's go this way..." She led her friend away from the others and told herself that she was simply looking for Max, but she knew the truth. She wasn't looking. She didn't really want to find him either, she just wanted to be alone with Sierra.

She didn't need anyone else.

((Josie Vernon and Sierra Manning continued in In My Restless Dreams))

Return to “The Sawmill”