Measure Once, Cut Twice

Day 3; Nighttime

The sawmill was the backbone of the island's infrastructure and as such, is very large; complete with a small series of bunkhouses for employees to live in as well as a small mess hall to provide food. Next to the main building are three logging trucks for delivering the wood, while they have no gas inside of them they still provide excellent cover. Inside the sawmill are many devices used to treat the wood and prepare it for shipping. The machines show some signs of use and there is still a thick layer of sawdust, but the blades aren't liable to move as the power has been shut off.
Grim Wolf

Post by Grim Wolf »

(Palm strike not a slap, by the way, but my language was unclear. Still, big difference XD)

Belle struck her just the once. She'd intended to follow up with additional blows, but the first blow seemed to have had more of an effect than she'd anticipated. Aside from which, the blow had cooled her anger somewhat; she didn't feel quite so hostile, quite so violent. She was a little more willing to listen to what Samantha said.

That changed quickly.

Master Xiang had always criticized her for her reliance on rage, on anger. He always insisted that anyone who really wanted to learn to use martial arts had to be calm and impassive; to go beyond emotion, and to simply be.

Belle had never said as much to Master Xiang, but she thought this was a load of bullshit.

"No," Belle said. "I've never wanted to kill myself. I like being alive. It's nice. It's comfortable. There is food and boys and books." He anger was flaring up in her, hot and heavy. "I am not picking a fight with you because we have differing opinions. I am picking a fight with you because you killed-" and without warning she lashed out with another palm strike. "a boy-" another strike, as Samantha scuttled backwards. "for no-" she lashed out with one fast quick. "REASON!" and she swept towards Sam.

Belle had neither the time nor the vocabulary to put her thoughts into words. She couldn't say, "You kill somone if they're suffering, you don't kill them if they're just sad." She couldn't say, "What you did was just murder with the help of the victim."

She could, perhaps, have said, "I don't think a bow and arrow are going to help you much from this range." But she thought she was doing a better job demonstrating that than any of her words could have managed.
Those Whose Time Has Come]

Terra Johnson (female student no. 73, DECEASED): Oh...duh...Abel's...dead...the one who...lives is...

Tom Swift (male student no. 60): It didn't matter what he wanted anymore.

Daria Bhatia (female student no. 56): "I pity you, and everyone who knows you. Because if you can live with this, I don't...I don't think you're human anymore.”

[+] Those Who Have Gone Before
[/url]

V6

Alex Tarquin (male student no. 32: "No more...masks..."

Tara Behzad (female student no. 12): "They don't get to decide how I die."

Lizzie Luz: "I don't want to go."

V5

Tyler Lucas: "I had fun. You?"

Karen Idel: Game over.

Xavier Contel: "G-gotta...trust people, Arthur. G-g-gotta try. C-can't be afraid."

v4

Naoko Raidon (male student no. 54): Dying like...this isn't...so...bad...

Mirabelle Nesa: "I'm a weak little girl who couldn't save anyone, even myself, but god damn it I beat you and god damn it you are going to remember that because I am Mirabelle Nesa and I am a hardened goddamn warrior and I am not going to fucking give up now!"

Simon Grey: "I never was a hero, but, God help me, I tried."

David Meramac: "Running towards nothing. Running from nothing."
KingKamor†

Post by KingKamor† »

As Belle continued to hit Sam, Jackie began to have flashbacks of various scenes of bullying back in her earlier years of high school. The stronger picking on the weaker just because they were different. To her, Belle had become the spitting image of those people.

Thinking that a shout would have all the effect of a whisper to Belle, Jackie pointed her gun into the air and pulled the trigger, bracing herself for the bang. That at least would have been enough to stop Belle in her rage, right?

Click

She paused, her eyes wide with disbelief.

Click

"What the--?"

ClickClickClickClick

"What the fuck?" She shouted and observed the revolver. After messing with it for a few seconds, she managed to get the cylinder to pop out. Once she tried to empty it, however, the bullets held fast to their barrels. "It's... fake...?"

The gun dropped to the ground with a heavy thud, and Jackie looked up at the sky. "Oh, man, that was... Ha ha ha ha!" Despite her laughter, tear welled up in her eyes, I was useless, anyway, wasn't I? "Oh, man, what the hell?" Walking up to Belle, she placed a hand on the other girl's shoulder and squeezed as tightly as she could. "That's enough, Belle! We're on this island now! There is not tasty food! All your books are back at home collecting dust! All the boys are killing each other!"

A sob escaped her as tears began to flow down her cheeks. "We... we aren't living! Not anymore!" Not even thinking about letting go of Belle and letting her attack Sam again, she said to Sam, "I want you to kill me, too."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler KingKamor. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
ThoDuSt

Post by ThoDuSt »

The other girls words, excruciatingly stupid from Sam's point of view, hurt more than the blows. Sam tried to cover herself with her arms and back away from what was increasingly obviously a fighter with more training than she had. Whether by accident or design the more blows hit the less Sam was able defend against the next blow; she had to get away for more than one reason.

The girl with the gun, which didn't seem to be working, spoke to them. It seemed that, unlike her friend, she actually knew what Sam was talking about; Poor Girl. Sam used the lull caused by the girl's words to gain some distance, and then dug through her bag for a few arrows which she stuffed into the pocket on the stomach of her sweater.

Now feeling safe to respond, Sam yelled, "No reason!? You think I had NO reason!? I asked you that question to see if you'd understand, but obviously you to much of a STUPID FUCKING BITCH, to understand!"

Sam's anger was rising, "HE WASN'T JUST 'SAD' YOU DUMB SACK OF CRAP! THAT STATE OF MIND IS ACTUALLY FUCKING PAINFUL, MAYBE NOT PHYSICALLY, BUT IT'S STILL JUST AS REAL AS ANY WOUND!" If we weren't on the island you'd be right, but look the fuck around!"

Sam armed her bow. She didn't care what that bitch thought. She drew the bowstring. The adrenaline and anger was causing her body to shake and shiver. She took aim at the girl who wanted to die. The conditions of this shot were different from the one she took when Simon had asked her to kill him, she could miss, or hit her in a part of the body that wasn't immediately lethal making things worse. She released the bowstring.
KingKamor†

Post by KingKamor† »

Jackie had managed to tune everything else out, even with all the yelling around her. As she listened to the silence in her mind, a few things became apparent. For one, she never actually played the game, and that's more that can be said for dozens of her peers. She didn't even have a legitimate firearm; it was all just a prop in an elaborately-written play, and she was one of the leading characters.

At least I got to act again before today. Those parts were fun, at least. For the first time since she woke up on the island, a smile spread across her face. Wondering if her parents were watching, she kept the smile, though the tears still could not stop.

She took a few steps away from Belle so that she would be more out in the open for Sam to fire her bow. The crunch of bits of sawdust under her feet echoed between her ears as the other two girls shouted at each other. It was regrettable that Belle was just going to be left behind, but Jackie didn't care enough at the moment to do anything to help the other girl. Jackie took a step towards Sam so that the other girl could get a better shot. Time seemed to slow as her feet lined up so that she was facing Sam.

As if to make up for lost time, titles of various musicals and plays began to pop into her head.

Guys and Dolls

Sweet Charity

Wicked

A Streetcar Named Desire

The Producers

West Side Story

Quilters

The Kind and I

Hamlet

Avenue Q

Sweeny Todd

Rent

Midsummer Night's Dream

Hairspray

Peter Pan

Fiddler on the Roof

Li'l Abner

Oklahoma

The Wiz

Romeo and Juliet

Camelot

Othello

Les Miserables

Between sobs, Jackie whispered to herself, "All the world's a stage, and the men and women on it... merely players"

THWUCK

There was not enough time to even feel the pain. Just to the inside of her left eye, the sharp and fast arrow pierced straight on through. With a jolt, her legs fell limp and her arms swayed. For an instant, vision through her eye was skewed before it went completely black. Although the others had to continue with this horrid play, her part had been finished; cut short by her own volition. Never one to call foul play over a small part that she deserved, she left the stage with an eternal smile on her lips.

G092, Jacqueline "Jackie" Maxwell, Deceased.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler KingKamor. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Grim Wolf

Post by Grim Wolf »

Belle drove her back, step by step, but eventually Samantha jerked away. Before Belle could quite follow her, she'd drawn an arrow and notched it to her bow.

They were separated by about ten feet. Belle was pretty confident in herself, but dodging an arrow from ten feet (much less trying to advance on Samantha and stop her) seemed stupid. She forced herself to stop, though her rage demanded she advance, though her muscles ached with the desire to simply strike out and hurt this stupid, petty, murderous girl.

"No reason!? You think I had NO reason!? I asked you that question to see if you'd understand, but obviously you to much of a STUPID FUCKING BITCH, to understand!"

Belle didn't move, didn't allow herself the luxury. Her lip curled and her fingers twitched violently. Or you're too much of a stupid fucking bitch to realize just how stupid you are, she thought spitefully. You loud-mouthed, murderous, bitchy fucking-

"HE WASN'T JUST 'SAD' YOU DUMB SACK OF CRAP! THAT STATE OF MIND IS ACTUALLY FUCKING PAINFUL, MAYBE NOT PHYSICALLY, BUT IT'S STILL JUST AS REAL AS ANY WOUND!"

Oh.

Unbidden she saw her mother again--the disappointment and regret on her face, as she looked at the collected of typed pages in her hands before she put it back and, sighing, turned away.

"If we weren't on the island you'd be right, but look the fuck around!"

This island was her failure. This island was her regret. This island was the place where all her dreams would collapse around her like the false things they were, crash around her and "NO!" she howled, and launched herself forwards.

That quick lunge saved her life.

The arrow flew past her head, so close she felt it part her hair as it passed. The touch of disbelief, disappointment, and self-hate that had started to work its way into her soul dissipated with the arrow; she felt righteousness, rage, and pride mingle in her in equal parts. She had dodged a fucking arrow, she was going to be great, she was not going to die on this retarded island, she was going to make it out of here because she could make it out, because she had to make it out-

These were the thoughts that ran through her, in the second it took her to cross to Samantha.

She aimed two strikes and a kick--the strikes to make Samantha drop her bow, and the kick to make the stupid bitch hurt.

Terra Johnson (female student no. 73, DECEASED): Oh...duh...Abel's...dead...the one who...lives is...

Daria Bhatia (female student no. 56): "I pity you, and everyone who knows you. Because if you can live with this, I don't...I don't think you're human anymore.”

[/url]

V6

V5

Xavier Contel: "G-gotta...trust people, Arthur. G-g-gotta try. C-can't be afraid."

v4

Mirabelle Nesa: "I'm a weak little girl who couldn't save anyone, even myself, but god damn it I beat you and god damn it you are going to remember that because I am Mirabelle Nesa and I am a hardened goddamn warrior and I am not going to fucking give up now!"

ThoDuSt

Post by ThoDuSt »

The other girl lunged forward when Sam shot the arrow. Sam tried to ready another arrow, but while she was still fidgeting with it the other girl knocked away her bow. Trying to back away, the next thing Sam did, proved to be a poor decision as the other girl's kick unbalanced Sam sending her falling backward to the ground.

Sam swept her legs toward the girl's ankles in an attempt to knock her to the ground, where things would hopefully be a little more even.
Grim Wolf

Post by Grim Wolf »

The two strikes she expected to land--Samantha hadn't had time to readjust since she'd fired that last arrow, and Belle, running off a jittery thrill from her brush with death, was moving faster than she'd known she could. But somehow her kick connected, felling the barking, miserly killer. Samantha went down and Belle, alive with a fury that made the rest of the world seem distant and weak by comparison, moved forward to strike her down.

Sam's legs lashed out, caught Belle behind the knee. A strangled cry escaped the confines of her throat as she was pitched forwards, towards Samantha. She struggled, found her balance, forced herself up, aimed another blow at Sam's side to force the other girl away as she struggled backwards. Her hands came to rest on the curve of the bow, and she tightened her grip on it.

She surged to her feet, her eyes flickering around. She'd knocked Samantha down, surely she'd dropped an arrow, surely she'd...

Surely...

Belle stopped moving.

Jackie was on her back. Jackie was on her back, and there was an arrow protruding from her face.

[/url]

V6

V5

v4

ThoDuSt

Post by ThoDuSt »

Sam smirked with a smug delight when her kick connected sending Belle falling towards the the ground, but the smirk was soon wiped from Sam's face as Belle quickly began returning to her feet. Sam managed to block the blow to her side, but it still achieved it's goal of widening a gap between the two girls.

Sam managed to get to her feet as the other girl's eyes searched the area. Since the girl was holding Sam's bow, she was probably looking for the dropped arrow. Sam reached into the pocket of her hoodie; she had taken three arrows out when she last went into her bag and, assuming it didn't fall out, the third should still be there. When she found the arrow Sam took it, and gripped it, in such a way that the tip of the arrow protruded from her the closed fist of her right hand. She then pulled her sleeve over that hand so that it wouldn't be seen. She approached Belle from behind and....

Belle was staring at the body of her friend, but why? Didn't she know? The girl had been standing right next to Belle when she said she wanted help ending her life. Was Belle that dense that she wouldn't listen to a friend's plea? Fucking stupid annoying bitch!

"You really didn't listen to her... Did you?" Sam spoke, "When she asked to die, the reason you didn't try to talk her out of it... was because you didn't even know she was in trouble." Anger welled up inside Sam, "You didn't know, because your little feud with me was more important than lending an ear to a friend in need!"

She stopped and waited for the girl's reaction, but she didn't really pay attention to it, her patience was wearing thin.

"Look, both of us have a lot to think about, so here's a proposal. You give the bow back to me and we split up. Then, two days from now, around noon of the sixth day give-or-take, we meet back at this spot to finish this discussion. 'Cause right now we're both so angry at each other that we'd probably kill each other over improper grammar. And even if we get to the point of murdering each other, we should... you know... actually be moderately sane when we make that decision, I think."
Grim Wolf

Post by Grim Wolf »

The fingers of Belle's left-hand twitched.

"You really didn't listen to her, did you?"

"And you did?" she snarled, whirling about.

"When she asked to die, the reason you didn't try to talk her out of it... was because you didn't even know she was in trouble."

"That's not..." Belle still hadn't turned to face her. "She just..." What? Had she let Jackie die? Why hadn't she noticed? Had she not taken the girl seriously? Or had she-

"You didn't know, because your little feud with me was more important than lending an ear to a friend in need!"

Oh.

Master Xiang had warned her--had warned her time and time again. Never fight out of anger. Never strike first, never lead the assault. Peace. Peace. Peace.

Oh God I let her die.

She heard the proposal. Heard her enemy--heard the hateful, murderous bitch that was standing near her, making her an offer. "So you can kill!" cried Belle, her whole body trembling. She took another step forwards. "You killed her, Sam! She was...she was sad for a moment, and you...!"

You shot her with an arrow.

And you didn't listen to her. To Jackie.

Belle's head darted backwards, to Jackie's fallen body and the protruding arrow. Back to her mistake--her aggression. Was she wrong to have attacked Samantha? No, she couldn't believe that; she couldn't believe that what Sam was doing was right, that killing was okay. But...

But did she have faith in that assumption, anymore? Just because Belle couldn't accept despair, did that make her anymore right? Did she have a right to kill Samantha where she stood?

Jackie, all appearances to the contrary, had wanted to die. And Belle hadn't even listened.

She tensed her arm and then hurled the bow with all her might. It landed about 25 yards off, just in front of a distant building. "I'll be here, Samantha," she hissed. "Hope to God I don't hear your name on the announcements again."

And then off, off and running, away from all the death and her failure, away from the nagging sensation that she could stop her, that she should stop her, that it was her fault Jackie died and that Samantha was right and she shouldn't be glad to be alive, she should be just as in despair as-

(Mirabelle Nesa continued in "Can You Hear Me Now?")

[/url]

V6

V5

v4

ThoDuSt

Post by ThoDuSt »

"I'll be here, Samantha. Hope to God I don't hear your name on the announcements again."

At least this crap was over for the time being, that was something to be grateful for. Despite that thought, Sam still had the impression that the next meeting would just be the same shit on a different day. Perhaps that had something to do with the way the girl had hurled Sam's bow toward a building.

*tsk*

"Damn," Sam sighed, "Ya know, I could understand disagreeing with me, hell, even trying to kill me would have been understandable, but all she and the others did was waste everyone's time." She knew no one was in the vicinity, but she continued to speak aloud.

Sam glanced at the area around her and started to walk toward her bow. "I mean, fuck, learn to control your anger."

She stopped right next to her bow, and put the arrow she was gripping back in her pocket. "Like I'm one to talk though. I usually end up like that don't I? And I hold grudges for way longer then what's healthy..."

Picking up her bow she began examining it for damage. "That kind of shit will leave me dead out here, won't it? Fuck."

Sam slung her bow over her shoulder and, after a moment's contemplation, began to laugh. "I must look fucking crazy, I mean, I'm talking to someone who's not even here! Still though it's good to talk things out. I figure I might actually go crazy otherwise, and at least there's some chance you're actually listening. Right?"

After gathering her bags, Sam finally decided to store her important stuff in one bag instead of lugging both of them around. She figured she was probably one of the last people on the island still carrying both her bags.

Well, Sam thought, standing around here isn't gonna get Ishida dead. Time to move on.

((Samantha Ridley continued Leaving Me Lonely Still))

Return to “The Sawmill”