This Is The End Of His Story

The first set of wards encountered upon ascending to the second floor are the regular wards. These wards were used for patients that were considered low-risk, and as a result these rooms could be considered small but adequate. In each room, a metal bed frame, an end table, and a shelf for books can be found in various states of decay and with various objects on them, left largely untouched as a result of the abandonment of the island. Nothing about the rooms is comforting, however; like most of the asylum they were built with an eye towards cost efficiency rather than patient comfort. Belongings of previous patients can still be found in these rooms—a visible reminder of what the asylum used to be used for, with pictures from art therapy stuck up on some walls and photos of family on others.
backslash

Post by backslash »

Jae didn't know why, but he was grinning.

The glacier calm that consumed him every now and again was shattered by gunfire in return for his shot. He might not have cared that much whether he lived or died but his body still moved on instinct, haphazardly throwing himself away from the noise. Splintered chunks flew up from his makeshift splint and fire shot across his hip, complimented by the split-second sting of the lit end of Jae's lost cigarette getting crushed between his side and the floor as he landed.

He should have gotten close and put his fucking cigarette out in Brendan's eye. The thought flitted through his head as he reloaded and fired back at the girl in the doorway. The shot went wide, but she moved back for a moment before the gun came up again, and that was just enough time for Jae to scramble farther down the hall until he reached the gate separating the sections of the ward.

Maybe they would follow him. Maybe not. Who cared? He'd burn that bridge when he got to it. He had burned so many already.

Maybe he should have stayed behind long enough to be sure. Maybe the wound wasn't fatal. Jae thought it was, it looked enough like the one he had given Nadia to make him willing to bet that it would be, but who could say? And again, who cared? Fuck Brendan. Let him finally have his due of suffering if he lived.

Jae had never really wanted Brendan dead so much as he wanted to hurt him, anyways.

((Min-jae Parker continued in give me shadow, put on my crown.))
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
ItzToxie

Post by ItzToxie »

Jon didn't get time to adjust before he heard Brendan scream. Everything was a blur, and Jon had found his body was acting in auto pilot again. He had grabbed Amanda's rifle and opened the door, even before Alba called to him to help Brendan.

He didn't have much time once he got outside. A bolt flew past him and Alba. Jon looked at the direction it came from and saw Min Jae Parker, quickly taking cover.

Jon ducked down and grabbed Brendan by the shoulder, dragging him inside the room.

He finally got a glance at where Brendan was hit, Jon's eye widened, and he moved his hands through his own hair.

"Oh shit, oh shit..."

He knelt back down, trying to get Brendan's attention.

"Listen, you're gonna be fine... w-we just need Alba's help o-or, something! We'll fix you!"

Jon wasn't sure if Brendan could even believe him.
Primrosette

Post by Primrosette »

Everything was a blur afterwards for him. He heard gunfire going off. Alba? Jon? He didn't know. He was trying so hard to not focus on the pain flowing through his body. He then felt someone moving him. To safety? Yes, safety was very important right now. He was now leaning against a wall, sitting down and letting out a small wheezing sound. He really need some first aid. How could everything just get so bad like this?

He wasn't even crying. He should be crying. Right...?

He then got Jon's face in front of him. Telling him that he and Alba were going to fix him. Fix him...? He looked down at what was sticking out of him. His blood was there. He realised that it was a crossbow. Jae had shot him. Again. But it looked like it was more fatal than the last time. This was his stomach, not his shoulder. Jon was trying to not to panic for him.

Brendan smiled at him slowly.

"I.....It's okay, Jon. It is going to b-be alright...." He coughed roughly and he tasted the bitterness of his own blood in his mouth. "....Y-You and Alba can do it...."

He blinked a little, trying to focus on Jon's face more clearly. It was getting harder for him to stay awake. He was so exhausted. He wasn't even mad at Jae for doing this to him. He hoped that Alba and Jon could go on together. He hoped so.

"I-I can't come with you...."
[+] V7
ImageG006 - Violet Quinn: "T-Thank you.... Ned...."
ImageB033 - Adonis Cohen: "Thank.... T-Thank you, E-Emmett..."
ImageB045 - Emmett Bunnell: "Just.... breathe, you idiot...."(Adopted to Toxie!)
ImageB054 - Drew Woods: "D-Declyn, I love you..."
ImageB051 - Jonathan Meyers: “...that’s louder than bombs and eternity…” (Adopted from Yugikun!)
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Alba let out a short cry when she realized Jae fired back. She was able to move out of the way, causing the bolt to miss her entirely. She turned to look at the bolt, then back at Jae. Jae was already hurrying away. She would have gone after him, but that didn't matter right now. Brendan was hurt, and he needed her help.

Alba kept the rifle pointed down the hall where Jae was and hurried across the hall into Jon's room. She slammed the door shut behind her. Jon was already freaking out about what to do, and Brendan was trying to calm them down. Alba got on her knees to look over Brendan.

The arrow was in his stomach. This wasn't like when he got shot the other day. There was little she could do for him right now. She knew it would be bad to take the bolt out of his stomach, but Brendan would probably perish if they did nothing. She didn't know what to do, when suddenly Brendan said he can't come with them.

"Hey, don't say that," Alba said, giving a worried smile to Brendan. "Come on, we're gonna find Ty and Bryony and everyone and figure out what to do. You can't just leave us..."

She felt her eyes starting to tear up.

"...I never even got to give you a proper answer..."
ItzToxie

Post by ItzToxie »

"Y-yeah... It'll be alright. It'll be alright..."

Jon's breathing slowed as he realized how inevitable this was. A shot to the gut wasn't good... Even if they could stop him from dying now, it was only a matter of a few days before the inevitable happened. Jon could have guessed that Brendan knew it too...

Rationality hit Jon, and at that point he knew it was over, there wasn't anything he could do. His hands twitched as he looked at him, Jon knew Brendan had to be in a lot of pain, he contemplated if he should help him just... get it over with.

He looked at the rifle, the one he planned to use on Brendan days before, the one he took from Amanda, used on Amanda. He couldn't bring himself to do it now, even though it'd make things easier for them all.

"Fuck, Brendan, just stay with us, okay? Just... just stay a little bit longer."

It was only a minute after waking up, and Jon felt as helpless as he did leaving the bell tower.
Primrosette

Post by Primrosette »

Brendan knew that Jon and Alba were trying their best to be reassuring to him but he knew how this would end. They couldn't even risk the chance of pulling the bow out of him as it could making the bleeding worse and it would make it more sufferable for him if they did so. It was getting more tough for him to keep his eyes open. How much longer could he keep himself awake? He never really thought that he would be dying right now. He was scared about this. Who wouldn't actually be afraid of dying in front of people who he didn't want to leave?

"W-We all know what is going to hap-happen to me, g-guys...." Brendan's voice was getting more weakly by the second and he forced himself to try to speak more clearer. "It's not J-Jae's fault. If you see h-h-him again, tell him that I forgive him and t-that it was never his fault..... P-Please.... H-Ha...."

He took a few moments to think about what he could never do now because of this and those terrorists. He could never work on his stories, he could never ask Penny for advice, he could never make his father and his grandparents proud, he could never achieve his life-long dream, he could never hang out with Jon, he could never ask Bernadette to help him with his plans for his novels, he could never tell Maxim that he hoped that they could remain best friends, he could never tell Fiyori that he would like to try her food one day and he could never.... never get the chance to make Alba happy.

"....Alba, J-Jon.... I...."

Brendan squirmed as he tried to push himself to get up. It wasn't working, but he had wanted to try. He didn't like being on the floor. He could ask them to help him move over to the bed. But he didn't want to hassle them with that bother.

"Alba.... P-Proper answer....? What do you.... you...?"

It was getting more harder and harder for him to speak. His body was starting to feel paralysed. So he struggled to reach out his hand to Alba again. He noticed that Jon's face was starting to become blurry beside him. It was almost time for him to go.
[+] V7
ImageB045 - Emmett Bunnell: "Just.... breathe, you idiot...."(Adopted to Toxie!)
ImageB051 - Jonathan Meyers: “...that’s louder than bombs and eternity…” (Adopted from Yugikun!)
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Alba felt tears start to stream down her face. This really was the end for Brendan. He was losing consciousness and bleeding out more and more. It wasn't how she wanted to see him go; ideally she wouldn't see him die here. But at the least she didn't have to go through with the promise to kill him if he was going too far the wrong direction.

But she had only a few moments left. Brendan wanted her answer. She had to give him something in these last few moments. She had to give him something to make him happy before he died.

"My answer..." she began

She gulped, then looked at Brendan. She reached down and tightly held onto his hand.

"I don't know if I love you romantically. Honestly, this place is so crazy it's hard to figure that out right now, and I don't want to be dishonest. But you are my best friend here, and for the rest of my life I will call you that. You've helped me out so much here. You made me feel safe and comfortable when I didn't. You were a great date for Sadie Hawkins, and you've become someone I consider family."

She sniffled and wiped her eyes. She then gave Brendan a soft, gentle smile.

"I will never forget you and all you did for me. I'll carry that in my heart forever. And I will never forget how happy you made me during this horrible game. Thank you, Brendan. Te amo, mi amigo."
ItzToxie

Post by ItzToxie »

Jon watched as Brendan practically withered away. This wasn't like Barry, or Darius, or Michael. It didn't happen just conveniently out of view. It was happening right in front of Jon, and there was nothing he could do about it.

Jon should have never followed them. He shouldn't have listened to Brendan, he wished he still didn't know that Brendan didn't mean it. He wished he was still hating him, even though Brendan had done nothing to deserve it.

Jon had spent so long alone he forgot what it felt like to hurt, what pain really was. All this emptiness was filled with something else, and Jon couldn't take it. Even worse, Brendan told them not to go after Jae, that it wasn't his fault.

Jon's eye teared up. Why? Why, why, why, why, why? Brendan hadn't deserved anything that had happened to him on this island, no one did really, but he was hurt the worst out of everyone. It was Jon's fault too. Jon was one of his worst enemies, even though Brendan had only wanted a friend.

He grabbed Brendan's hand, just so even if he couldn't see them, he'd know they were still there.

"It's okay, Brendan... It's okay. J-just... let it happen. It's over, okay? Y-you don't have to be afraid anymore. We're with you... We won't leave you."

Despite everything though, Jon realized that Brendan was the lucky one. He wouldn't have to see what comes next. He wouldn't have to watch Alba grieve, he wouldn't have to watch the rest of his classmates and friends kill each other... He wouldn't have to watch what Jon had planned for Min Jae...

If there was anything Jon could take solace in for Brendan, it was the fact that Brendan wouldn't hurt anymore. The game was over for him. For everyone who died, they didn't have to worry anymore. They'd stay young forever, they wouldn't be afraid, or alone, or in pain any longer. Jon had one last thing he wanted to say to Brendan.

"Brendan... when you see the others, tell them... Tell them I'll see them soon, okay?"
Primrosette

Post by Primrosette »

Brendan's eyes were drooping as Alba and Jon were talking to him. He could hear the emotional sounds as they both spoke. He felt like a bad person for making the both of them cry. But he knew that this was going to happen sooner or later. Still he was glad that he wasn't alone right now. He would have been more afraid of dying without anyone around him as he did so. He hoped that his family would be able to remember him as he was before everything here changed him into someone he never wanted to be.

He felt his hands being held by Jon and Alba and he felt a single tear roll down his cheek. He could only hope that Alba and Jon would be able to take care of each other in the long run. He had to let go. Which his body was slowly doing as his hands were starting to go limp in theirs.

Time was almost up for him.

"I..... promise, Jon.... I-I will...."

He coughed weakly. He needed to say something to Alba. Anything. He still loved her with all his heart. It also warmed his heart that she considered him a part of her family. She really was his heroine. His rock. His.... His....

"F-Family..... Thank you, thank you, t-thank.... you, Alba, Jon...."

Brendan Harte then felt himself slip away with a smile still present on his face.

B030: Brendan Harte - Deceased
[+] V7
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

It was done.

With a thanks and a smile, Brendan Harte finally passed away. Alba kept a smile on her face while he was conscious, but once the light from his eyes disappeared and his breathing stopped, the smile disappeared from her face. Alba hung her head low and let out a whimper. She then burst into full-on sobbing, with her tears dripping down her face and onto the floor below.

She tightened her grip on Brendan's lifeless hand. She thought she should say something to Jon now that it was just the two of them. She tried, but felt her throat tightening up.

As a result, Alba remained in place, crying for the loss of her friend.
ItzToxie

Post by ItzToxie »

Jon stared ahead as Brendan finally left them. Again Jon was useless... Again Jon watched another friend die.

He couldn't help Brendan, and he couldn't help Alba... At the very least, Brendan went out peacefully, or as peacefully as one could leave this damn island. Jon couldn't say the same about many of the others, and he definitely couldn't say the same about Min Jae. Even if Brendan could forgive him, Jon couldn't. Jon knew how hypocritical he was, just days earlier he tried to kill him... He'd lost his mind, gone paranoid, became empty.

But then he wandered aimlessly. He had no goals, he was grasping at straws for some sort of purpose. He couldn't kill Alex, so he took the blame on Brendan. He killed Amanda over it, even though she had done nothing wrong. Could he go back to that? Just slightly more intelligent than a blood thirsty animal?

Jon lowered Brendan's hand, and reached in his bag. He pulled out his own tape recorder.

Could he do it? What purpose would it bring?

What purpose would it be to stay here though? None. What chance did he have to pretend he could make a difference the right way? None. What chance did he have of living beyond this? None.

Jon pressed the button on the recorder.

"He's right, you know."

He laid the recorder back in Brendan's hand, standing up.

He unzipped Michael's jacket, taking it off and wrapping it around Alba's shoulders. Jon knew Alba didn't deserve to watch her closest friend die in front of her like that. He knew there was nothing he could do to help her, not now.

"I... I'm sorry Alba."

He stood over Brendan, looking down towards his corpse.

He knew it was his fault for what happened to Brendan. If they hadn't promised to meet up, Brendan wouldn't have gone to check on him. Min Jae would never get the drop on him. He'd still be alive if it wasn't for him. Jon knew he didn't deserve an ounce of kindness Brendan gave him.

He could at least return some of it.

Jon unzipped Brendan's hoodie, and gave it back to him, kneeling down, he used the jacket to cover Brendan's face.

Once again, alone with no shirt, Jon walked outside the room, staring blankly down the hall at where Min Jae ran.

He pulled up the mangled, blood stained Nixon mask, and stared into it's eyes.

He turned back to look at the room...

Should he really do this?
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Alba continued to cry, her gaze stuck to the floor. She curled her free hand into a fist, digging her nails into her palm. She couldn't remember the last time she felt so horrible. This was several times worse than when she killed Kaitlyn. Kaitlyn could have been avoided. This probably couldn't have been. Maybe if she had stalled when replying to Brendan's confession, Jae would have just walked by none the wiser. It pained her to think her wishy-washiness could have killed her friend.

She froze when Jon put a jacket on top of her. Her eyes bolted open. She looked up and realized she was wearing the leather jacket Jon was wearing. Jon took off his hoodie and placed it over Brendan. Alba was thankful for that. She would have wanted to put Brendan under the covers of the bed like they did with Jaime. At the very least, it was a good gesture on Jon's part.

Jon stepped into the hall, holding a rubber mask. Alba turned and faced him as he looked back at her.

"Jon?" she asked, staring at him.

She suddenly got very worried.
ItzToxie

Post by ItzToxie »

Alba was staring at him now. Jon knew she wanted to know what he was planning. There was no stepping around it, the only thing he could do was be blunt about it.

"We can't let him get away."

Jon looked away, back down the hall again, before turning back to face Alba.

"He's... He's just going to do it again. There's..."

Jon wasn't sure what to say really. He just froze in place, looking at the ground.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Alba stared at Jon. She lowered her head slightly, breaking the gaze. She understood what Jon meant. Jae was dangerous. He had killed a few times before now, threatened her twice, and now he had actually killed someone she cared about. As sad as she was right now, the reality of the game was still there.

"Yeah...he needs to be stopped," Alba said, slowly turning back from Jon to Brendan.

"But..."

She looked over at Brendan's covered body, then to the recorder in his hand, then back at Jon.

"...I don't know if I can stop him..."

This wasn't like with Kimiko. She couldn't respond to Brendan's death like she could with Bradley's. She felt glued to the floor, crouched helpless, grasping to Brendan's limp hand.
ItzToxie

Post by ItzToxie »

"I can..."

Jon stared at the ground... He remembered that he killed someone, that Alba also killed someone.

He could tell she didn't want to, and he could understand that. Alba was still a good person, and despite his previous thoughts, they still existed somewhere on this island, it's just that the bad ones outnumber them. Maybe Jon could help with that a little bit.

"I... I was never good at helping people. I failed with Barry, I failed with Darius, and Michael... I failed with you and Brendan. I should have never promised that I'd come up with some stupid escape plan, it was a promise I couldn't keep. All I do is hurt people..."

He looked back up to Alba's eyes.

"You know what happened to Amanda? She saved my life, and how did I repay her?"

There were still tear stains in his cheek from what happened to Brendan, but Jon wasn't crying anymore.

"I shot her three times in the back, then two more in the head when she hit the ground, with her own gun. It was supposed to be Brendan. T-that's what happens to people who are supposed to be my friends... I don't know what I'm going to do to Jae, but once I put this mask on, I'm not going back..."

He looked in the mask's eye sockets one more time.

"I... I don't know why I told you that, but... I had to get it off my chest, I probably won't see you again after this. I'm... I'm thankful for the kindness you've both given me, but I never deserved it. I never deserved any kindness. Barry should have left me in the cell to starve, it would have been better for everyone."

The tears came back.

"C-can you promise me something?"

Return to “Regular Wards”