Walk On Water Or Drown

Open, Day 5 Morning

This is the central mountain, which commands a view of most of the island, though this will be of limited use in many parts due to the cover of trees. The mountain itself is lightly wooded, though the top has been cleared and a bench set up, facing west, with a perfect view (at the right time of day) of the setting sun. A trail allows access to the mountaintop.
Hollyquin†

Walk On Water Or Drown

Post by Hollyquin† »

[[Dustin Royal continued from It Knows Nothing Of Whim]]

"Fucking...tunnels! Augh..."

That last bit was the sound of Dustin Royal kicking a rock.

Well. He doubted anyone else would be any less frustrated than he was right now.

Hours. Many hours. That was how long it had taken him to get through those godfucking tunnels and out the other end. He'd assumed that he was already halfway through the tunnels when he left the blood-soaked crime scene where he'd found the others, but no, apparently not. It had been barely light when he left the far end of the tunnel; it had taken him a good three hours or so to reach the body. He figured he'd be out by nightfall- not a chance. Fuck, he had to stop mid-journey to sleep for a while- completely helpless, alone in the dark, he had to sleep. He could've cried when he woke up in one piece. (Not that he would dream of actually crying, oh no, there was far too good a chance that there was a camera somewhere nearby. Do they have night-vision cameras down here?)

The light- the end of the tunnel, the exit, salvation or some more hell- began to penetrate heh the tunnel just as the nearest speaker buzzed to life.

"Good morning, survivors. Yet again, you've managed to exceed my expectations."

He didn't want to hear this. He kept moving. The light was real close now and he'd feel a little better about this bullshit if he was...what? Outside? In the light? How was that going to happen?

Shut up. Fuck it. I just want out of this death trap.

"Twenty five more of you met their tragic and heart-wrenching ends yesterday, making it the best day yet."

Twenty five. Twenty five kids. That was not okay. Not even a little. Jesus Christ, how many kids have to be playing for that many to be dead? That's not just a couple of crazies, that's a whole island of 'em. No one's safe. Nothing's safe. I'm...not...safe.

Fucking hell.

"Of course, not all of that was due to direct kills, so I'm not quite sure if we should count it."

Ah, yes. Well. Dustin had heard those announcements, the ones pertaining to that bitch Liz Polanski, whose name he hardly recognized (and what girl's name did he not know, really?) and who was apparently endangering everyone on the damn island by fucking around. He was still alive- that was the important bit. Not that he was okay with what was happening- he wasn't, but he didn't want to be the one killing her.

Day 5 and Dustin fucking Royal of all people still didn't want to kill anyone. Who'd of bet on that?

He didn't listen to the names. He didn't want to know. Instead he focused on the light, followed it, forced himself to it until-

Whoa.

He was on a mountain. On a fucking mountain. A. Fucking. Mountain.

It was kind of awesome, but it begged the question-

How the fuck do I get down from here?

It was about then that he kicked the rock.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Hollyquin. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Arscapi†

Post by Arscapi† »

((Marion Summers continued from Empire Ants))

Marion finished jotting down the announcement and tucked her pad back into the pocket of her jeans. She had a sheet of paper left. It was weird that she was almost comforted by the announcements; she knew it but couldn't help the feeling. At the very least it told her what day it was. Writing down the names had become a routine, something to latch on to. Not to look forward too, but at least something to give her time here purpose.

She was pretty sure there was another pad somewhere in the bottom of her duffle bag, but she couldn't be bothered to dig it out at the moment. Instead she amused herself with kicking rocks down the side of the mountain. She wasn't sure where Frankie and the rest of them had gotten to, and to be honest she didn't really care. Marion had thought traveling in a group would be better, but all it seemed to do was earn her death glares and eye rolls. It wasn't her fault she kept pointing out what the others seemed determined to overlook.

She yawned as she bent to pick up a pine cone, sometime soon she should probably stop and take a nap. In fact, she could probably climb a tree and give herself some safety. Safer at least then lying down in the middle of a path. She tossed the pine cone absently and watched it land and then tumble down the mountain in front of her.

"Fucking...tunnels! Augh..." came a voice from further down the mountain.

Marion looked around to find Dustin come up the path towards her. Great another person to totally ignore me, she thought. Dustin had ignored her in school, and honestly she could blame him. He was in a totally different league than her. He was on the hockey team and could pretty much have his pick of any girl on campus. And if rumors were true often did. She tugged the hem of her shirt self-consciously wishing she had time to add some eye shadow. She caught herself, realizing what she was doing and shook her head. Really, Marion, here in the middle of the woods, you're worried about what you look like?

"Hey Dustin, what's wrong," she asked her voice coming out much more cheerful then she expected.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Arscapi. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
JamesRenard†

Post by JamesRenard† »

((Garry Villette continued from Selfish))

"...proving that even a loser can turn things around, Jimmy Brennan killed Phillip Ward with a little moxie and a big stick. Jake Crimson painted the ground after taking a hit from Garry Villette. Took a while too. Is it mercy to let nature-"

"Oh for fuck's sake!"

Garry didn't know how to feel anymore. After staying up the whole night, he was ready to collapse, exhaustion eating away at his body and mind. But the recent announcement had both caused his heart to sink, and his blood to boil. He'd learnt that yet another one of the Huskies had fallen victim to the game, and now he himself had been portrayed as a cold-blooded killer. There was no mention of Jake having attacked first, no mention of Garry fighting back in self-defense. "Damn you, Danya," he whispered.

He turned back to face Sunil and Rena, feeling glad that both of them had decided to join him in the end. "Sorry... you guys okay?" he asked, gently massaging the itchy blood-stained bandage on his head that was masking the gash Jake had inflicted on him. He hissed and shut his eyes as a shooting pain spread from his temple. Trying to eradicate the itch had been a bit of a mistake, it seemed. "It's okay, ssss... ow, don't worry, it's okay-"

And then something bounced out of, well, nowhere and hit Garry right in the face, cutting him off mid-speech. Garry cried out in surprise as the object - obviously a very light object or it would have taken his head out - rebounded off his cheek and fell to the ground. Gently rubbing the area on his face where it struck, Garry looked down and saw a pine cone slowly rocking back and forth as it came to a rest at his feet. 'What the hell? Do pine cones have some sort of vendetta against me now as well?'

He looked up the steep slope to see where the cone had originated from, and saw a very familiar face standing just outside the entrance to some cave with a girl he didn't know all that well. 'Is that...? Holy shit, it's Dustin!' He couldn't believe it, he'd finally found someone from the team, someone who wasn't a killer according to those announcements. Surely that meant he could trust Dustin, right? Okay, he may have been a massive womaniser in school, but he wasn't a killer, and that was more important right about now.

"Hey! Dustin!" Garry called out, waving his arm to try and grab his attention, and then looked towards his travelling companions. "Don't worry, I know this guy, he's alright," he said to them.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler JamesRenard. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
General Goose

Post by General Goose »

((Sunil Savarkar also continued from Selfish.))

The walk from the large sprawl of tree stumps where Jake Crimson now lay dead had been uneventful. Rather awkward, if anything, as he wasn't the best conversationalist, and it was obvious to anyone with an ounce of common sense that Garry was still tormented over what had happened. Despite Sunil's complaining about his current circumstances and his rather dour mood, it was obvious that he had not had the worst experience on the island by a wide margin.

The last announcement had seemed to continue sending Garry's mood spiralling downwards. Sunil was concerned; partially for Garry's emotions, but partially because, from a cold-hearted tactical viewpoint, having a grouchy, mentally unstable, physically intimidating werewolf-aficionado was hardly the safest decision in terms of travel arrangements. Still, for now at least, Garry seemed to be controlling his rage just fine, and Garry did seem rather relieved that he and Rena had chosen to follow him.

Muttering a mumbled, half-true "yeah, alright", in response to Garry's question, he continued following behind him, dragging his feet along, trying to think of a suitable escape plan (failing that, a good way to spend his final moments.) Not being the brightest of kids, Sunil's quick brainstorming session turned up blank.

Then a pine cone hit Garry in the face.

Well, that was random.

Quickly stifling a rude, unwanted laugh at the pine cone in the face, Sunil looked up at the Dustin Garry was referring to. Garry seemed to know him.

Well, everyone knew of Dustin, obviously. Pretentious manwhores tended to have quite an established reputation around St. Paul. Just Sunil didn't actually know him, so unlike Garry, he couldn't really comment on whether the rumours were true or whether Dustin could be trusted in a crazy situation like this.

Sunil stood still, a blank, sombre expression on his face, and allowed Garry to catch the attention of Dustin and anyone else nearby.
Casey the Undead†

Post by Casey the Undead† »

((Rena Peters continued from Selfish))

Rena felt awkward. That was really all there was to say on the situation. Sunil wasn't really talking, Garry was a killer with a guilty conscious, and Rena had literally nothing to say to either of them. Then again, she wasn't particularly good at saying things to regular people either, so this was probably not much of an exception.

They came to a stop as the announcements crackled on, but Rena was trying her best not to listen. She didn't need to know. Of course, she heard anyway, but she had gotten very good at ignoring things these past few days, and this particular morning was no exception.

Garry, on the other hand, was not ignoring things. He seemed to be teetering dangerously close to some sort of edge, and Rena guessed that the guilt was eating him up.

Which, maybe, was what he got for killing a person.

She felt horrible for even thinking that, and diverted her eyes from Garry as he turned back around to ask if they were okay. "Yeah. Fine. Really."

She did not look up until she heard Garry stopped talking very suddenly. He was rubbing his cheek, and Rena stood there, slightly dumbfounded as to why. She did not even notice the pinecone laying at his feet. He'd just sort of....stopped.

That's...not a good sign?

She was really at a loss for what to think, until Garry started yelling at someone named Dustin. Rena turned to where he was facing, where she saw the others.

Dustin. That name sounded familiar. And he looked-

Oh. Oh shit.

The boy from the tunnels. The boy who she'd called a killer. That boy. Yeah, of all the people she could run into again, she ran into him.

What were the odds?

Had she not been in a terrible death game, Rena might have actually tried to solve that problem.

She whipped her head back down again, staring at her feet. Don't look up and he won't recognize you.

It was suddenly very obvious to Rena that Raine and Ridley might have followed Dustin. She hadn't seen them when she looked up, but she hadn't looked up for that long. And if they were there....well they'd want an explanation. They'd be angry. They'd want to know why.

She couldn't explain herself. Not to them. Not after the tunnels. Not after the blood.

Just don't look up. Just don't look up. Just don't look up.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Casey the Undead. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Hollyquin†

Post by Hollyquin† »

[[OOC: Sorry for the super-special-lateness of this post.]]

"Hey Dustin, what's wrong."

WHOA-WH-WHAT?!

Oh, right, other people. They were things that existed. Dustin had been on his own, in the goddamn dark, for long enough that hearing a voice that wasn't him talking to himself, or Danya on the loudspeaker, was kind of disorienting. He felt himself flinch at the sound, but he pulled himself back quickly. After all, that was a female voice, and fear was unattractive. So was the blood that had soaked through his daypack, for that matter. Fuck. Well, I've gotta roll with the punches, right? After all, I've got everything else going for me. He looked towards the source of the voice...

...And wasn't disappointed. It wasn't a girl he knew, not well at least, her name was...something with an M, he thought. They must've shared a class or something. But she was cute, cute enough anyway, wait, her mouth was open for a fraction of a second and were those braces? That was...it was doable, it could be worked around, it wasn't like Dustin had any right to be picky right now, though sudden, horribly painful mental images danced through his head. Wait, did she say my name? She knows who I am...not that that's difficult. Whatever, might as well say hello, try my luck, all that.

He walked closer to her, a charming smile forming almost unconsciously on his lips. "Why, hello there, sweetheart. Nothing's wrong, not a thing, just didn't quite expect this tunnel to take me..." He gestured around vaguely. "...Here. You know my name, apparently, but what's-"

"Hey! Dustin!"

Well, that voice sounds familiar.

"Hold that thought," he said sweetly at the girl he'd just met, and looked up towards the sound of the new voice.

Just as I thought.

"Garry!" he called back, genuinely happy to find someone he knew, someone else from the team, out on this godfucking rock. He had a couple of people with him, some dude he didn't know and a girl who he...also didn't know, but who looked inexplicably familiar. He blinked at her for a moment before turning his attention back to Garry, grinning.

"Dude, how've your last few days been? I've been having a blast, you know, running into dead bodies, all that. Awesome time. What about you, you don't l-"

Wait a sec.

His brain went back a few minutes.

"Jake Crimson painted the ground after taking a hit from Garry Villette. Took a while too."

Dustin blinked. Blinked again. And said, rather stupidly-

"Wait. You killed someone?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Hollyquin. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
JamesRenard†

Post by JamesRenard† »

It was funny how just four words were capable of completely changing the atmosphere.

Garry's elation at finding Dustin changed to sheer dread upon hearing his friend's inquiry. His face paled visibly; how could he have been so stupid? His name had cropped up on the morning announcement literally a couple of minutes ago. Dustin wasn't there, he couldn't know what had happened between him, Sunil and Jake. As far as Garry knew, Dustin had him figured out as a murderer.

And, worst case scenario, everyone else on the island was probably thinking the same. The girl next to Dustin was probably thinking it, Saul was probably thinking it. "Oh, hear that? It's Garry the savage werewolf, he must've ripped Jake Crimson from limb to limb and feasted on his flesh and guts. Let's find him and give him a taste of his own medicine!" The thought of that infuriated and terrified the young man. 'Damnit I am not like that!' Garry mentally snarled. He needed to explain himself to Dustin, before he went wildly jumping to any conclusions. He didn't want an argument or, even worse, a fight on his hands. Not after the altercation the previous night.

"Just hear me out for a sec, Dustin. It was an accident," Garry explained, looking up to Dustin. "That guy, Jake, was trying to kill Sunil here and I had to fight him off. He attacked me, I shoved him out the way, he fell over and badly hit his head. I didn't want to kill him... I only wanted to stop him from attacking."

He looked back down to the ground and turned to face Sunil. Unlike Dustin, he was there when it all happened, and so he would be able to support his side of the story. "Sunil, back me up here, please," Garry spoke.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler JamesRenard. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Arscapi†

Post by Arscapi† »

Marion rolled her eyes as once again she managed to be forgotten about. How is it with over 150 students on the island she couldn't find a friend? Yet everyone else kept meeting up with people that they knew. She sighed in frustration. At least Dustin had been nice enough to actually address her before turning towards...Garry and his band of merry men. She was going to leave right there and then. Second verse same as the first, she thought having participated in this before, but Dustin's next words froze her in place.

"Wait. You killed someone?"

Marion longed to pull out her notepad and flip through to get the details they'd been given, but for some reason no on liked when she did that. Funny, how in school everyone was always trying to get into the paper, now here on this island they hated that she was writing anything down.

She walked closer, but not too close as Garry began to explain that it was self-defense. Which didn't sound like the explanation Danya had given, but then Danya wanted them here turning against each other. So what were a few lies to a murderous psychopath? He turned to Sunil and Marion did as well, waiting to see what the other boy had to say. Of course if I was traveling with a murder I might be tempted to say anything he wanted me too.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Arscapi. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
General Goose

Post by General Goose »

Things were rapidly becoming rather awkward, to say the least.

Garry was quickly getting put on the spot by the others on the scene, being confronted about his well-publicised kill of Jake. There was no denying it was a rather nasty way to die, but there was also no denying for anyone with the slightest bit of info about the context of the kill that Garry in no way intended to kill Jake, and he felt the utmost remorse for it.

That, or he was a really good actor. But Garry didn't seem like the acting type.

As Garry carried on his explanation, Sunil stared, his mind vacant, at a abnormally stone on the ground, Garry's words floating in one ear and out of the other. However, with minimal warning, Garry put Sunil on the spot, asking him to back up his story. Quickly becoming flustered at this sudden interruption, Sunil fumbled about for the proper words, before stuttering "Erm...y-yeah. Garry's totally killing the truth. TELLING the truth, I mean. Sorry." He laughed it off, hoping it wouldn't be interpreted as a Freudian slip. "Yeah, Jake tried to kill me, and Garry then stepped in and fought Jake off and Jake fell on an unfortunately-placed cinderblock and cracked his head upon and died." Which totally sucked for everyone.

Yep. That was what had happened. In a nutshell. Unless Sunil's memory was pulling tricks on him.

"I mean," Sunil continued, chuckling nervously to try and calm things down, his eyes quickly darting between everyone present at the scene, "Garry's perfectly safe. Trust me on that. Seriously. I mean, yeah. He's cool." Praying that they believed his explanation and didn't interpret his nervousness and hesitation as deceit, he decided to add in a joke. "I mean, Rena's the one you gotta watch out for! Crazy psycho bitch, heheh!"

And now they'd probably think Rena was actually dangerous. And if not, she was probably offended.

Fuck.

"Only joking, she's cool. She's awesome. We're all cool, I mean that sincerely. Honest, swear on my mother's life."

Okay Sunil.

Now's a good time to shut up.
Casey the Undead†

Dustin hadn't recognized her. There was a small ray of sunshine creeping through Rena's mind that maybe, just maybe, everything would be okay for now. Dustin wouldn't recognize her, they'd talk for a bit, part ways, everything would be okay-

...Except Garry had killed someone. A detail that had not gone past Dustin, unfortunately, which turned the entire reunion rather sour.

Rena kept her head down, trying not to listen to Garry's jumbled and almost frantic explanation. She was expecting to hear Raine or Ridley at any moment, demanding explanations, yelling at her again, screaming things at her because she was stupid and she was acting stupid and hysterical and she'd run away.

Running away actually sounded rather nice at this particular moment.

She glanced up slightly when Sunil spoke, surprised that the quiet boy had said anything at all. She quickly forced her eyes down again, still praying that Dustin didn't recognize her, that Raine and Ridley were somewhere far away, that no one was going to yell at her for being her stupid self.

And the Sunil called her a psycho.

Rena's head snapped up, and she let out a cry of surprise.

No. What? No. No! Rena? A psycho? She was a hysterical, overly emotional, physically weak girl with a giant club she'd never used and a tendency to vomit or scream at the mere sight or...feel...of blood. How could Sunil say that? She trusted him!

Why did she trust him? She'd run away from a boy who helped her and a girl who treated her with care and respect to a killer and a quiet boy who apparently thought she was crazy. I really suck at this.

Sunil backtracked quickly, saying it was a joke, but Rena realized the damage was already done. She'd been looking up, staring in disbelief at Sunil for a couple minutes, meaning that Dustin was going to recognize her.

And it didn't help that she must have already seemed pretty crazy in his eyes. She'd screamed at a body, threatened to kill him, been slapped, been yelled at, had an emotion breakdown, and then randomly and without much, or really any, explanation at all had just run away.

Had it not been dangerously unfunny in her current situation, she might have laughed at the fact that this was the second time she'd been called a psycho since the start of this game.

She looked at Dustin quickly, realizing that there were only two people there, and that the other girl- Mary or something, Rena couldn't really remember- was neither Raine nor Ridley. That took some pressure off.

Except no, it didn't, because Raine and Ridley would have known she wasn't crazy. Dustin and...Marion, wasn't it?- they had not played this game beside her. They didn't know her well enough. They could have very well believed Sunil.

Rena was certain she was going to die. Dustin and Marion and maybe even Sunil and Garry were going to attack her, going to call her insane, going to rip her life out of her and make her scream like the person in the tunnels and the boy with the cinderblock had probably screamed. It was all going to end, and there was nothing she could do.

Tears, bile, rage, fear- everything raised in her throat. Don't cry don't vomit don't cry don't vomit please please it will only make things worse they'll just want to kill you more they'll make it hurt more they'll-

"I'm not crazy!" Rena cried in a nearly breathless voice.

It was not the best thing she could have said in her defense. It probably only made things worse, actually.

She looked around at the other four people, before letting out a nervous laugh. "I...I mean...yeah. I'm...uh...Very funny joke Sunil."

She turned to Dustin. "And...uh...hi. Again. Remember me?" She let out another nervous laugh.

Great way to prove you're not crazy. Stellar really. Clearly they'll trust you with their lives now.

Rena turned her attention to her feet. Maybe if she didn't look, they'd all just go away.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Casey the Undead. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Hollyquin†

Post by Hollyquin† »

"Just hear me out for a sec, Dustin. It was an accident. That guy, Jake, was trying to kill Sunil here and I had to fight him off. He attacked me, I shoved him out the way, he fell over and badly hit his head. I didn't want to kill him... I only wanted to stop him from attacking."

Dustin was frowning. Of course, he wanted to believe his friend. He wasn't a complete dick. But having seen first hand, more than once, what death looked like close up, he couldn't help but be at least a little wary. Self defense was understandable, but who on this island (who wasn't fucking batshit already, like that Lombardi prick apparently was) wouldn't be wanting to claim self defense? It was understandable, yeah, but not provable, and of course Danya twisted every kill to sound like the work of a psychotic asshole, so he was no help. Apparently he was going to test that not-provable claim by calling a witness to the stand. So, he killed someone for this kid? Lets see what he has to say for himself.

"Erm...y-yeah. Garry's totally killing the truth. TELLING the truth, I mean. Sorry."

Dustin raised an eyebrow.

Oh, Jesus. He's an idiot.

"Yeah, Jake tried to kill me, and Garry then stepped in and fought Jake off and Jake fell on an unfortunately-placed cinderblock and cracked his head upon and died."

Sounds like...something that could happen. I guess. Don't like the way he's putting it, but I can't really expect him to muster up sympathy for the guy who tried to kick his ass.

"Garry's perfectly safe. Trust me on that. Seriously. I mean, yeah. He's cool. I mean, Rena's the one you gotta watch out for! Crazy psycho bitch, heheh!"

And Dustin looked immediately at the girl, his eyes widening in recognition.

The crazy psycho bitch comment didn't worry him, particularly, given that Sunil was clearly kidding and Sunil was clearly a fucking idiot. But that name, Rena, told him why that girl looked familiar. It's the girl from the tunnel, the one who freaked out on me for no fucking reason! Fuck, kidding, whatever, she kind of is a psycho bitch. Wait, so she got out of the tunnel, joined up with Sunil and Garry...all this was yesterday? Shit, she must've hustled out of the tunnel...or I just went really fucking slow. Wait, what happened to the other two...?

And now she was freaking out. Awesome.

"I'm not crazy!"

Well, yeah, you're convincing me right now.

"I...I mean...yeah. I'm...uh...Very funny joke Sunil."

Fucking Christ.

"And...uh...hi. Again. Remember me?"

Now she was addressing him directly. Yeah, I remember you, you're the one who accused me of brutal murder for no godfucking reason. Not exactly the best way to make me like you, you know? He seriously considered saying all of that out loud, but decided against it at the last minute and responded to her with only a nod. She wasn't cute enough for him to properly forgive her.

"Well. I think at this point the person here I trust most is the killer," Dustin said, raising his eyebrow again. "Not counting you, of course, beautiful," he added smoothly as he remembered the other girl, the better-looking one, by his side. "You seem...trustworthy." That wasn't totally true, she was a bit quiet for his tastes, but she was cute and that gave her an advantage. "Anyway. So you two-" he nodded towards Sunil and Rena "-seem all kinds of crazy, but I trust Garry. So..." He shrugged. "Guess it works out in the end either way, yeah?"
JamesRenard†

Post by JamesRenard† »

'Killing the truth? What the hell, Sunil?' Garry very nearly facepalmed at Sunil's comment, and his version of events didn't sound like it was doing him any favours either. Jake hitting his head on an 'unfortunately-placed cinderblock'; it sounded like Sunil was just making it up as he went along, and if Garry hadn't been there as it happened (or more precisely, caused it), he honestly would've thought it was just a bunch of nonsense.

And now Rena was suddenly branded as a psycho, something she didn't take kindly to. Garry silently groaned; Sunil seemed to really be putting his foot in it this morning. First that slip of the tongue, now calling Rena crazy. It really wasn't helping things, not when Dustin probably thought he himself was a psycho killer. Rena was speaking up for herself though, and was talking to Dustin herself.

"Wait, you've met him before?" Garry asked Rena. That was unexpected. What was also unexpected were Dustin's next choice of words directed at all three of them.

The person here I trust most is the killer.

Killer. Garry. Killer.

Garry felt like he'd just been stabbed through the chest at Dustin's remark, and though he tried to keep a straight face, a slight frown was still visible. 'Yeah, thanks a lot, Dustin. Thanks for rubbing that in for me,' Garry thought, suddenly realising he was glaring at his hockey team mate. He hastily looked away at the girl was was flipping through some kind of notepad, just so he wasn't staring at the other boy.

'Still... he trusts me, that's something good for a change. Anyone else would probably have tried to hunt me down.'

"I guess so," Garry replied, though he didn't like the way Dustin called Sunil and Rena crazy, though admittedly they weren't doing a grand job of proving otherwise. He looked back to the notepad girl who was up there next to Dustin. "Hey, uh, you alright with that?" he asked.
General Goose

Post by General Goose »

Idiot.

Retard.

Cretin.

Moron.

Imbecile.

Ignoramus.

These were some of the many colourful words any outside observer, whether on the island or watching safely at home, could have, quite justifiably, used to describe Sunil at that very moment in time, and a quick search through any good thesaurus would certainly have revealed many more.

Sunil would have had to agree that these hypothetical individuals had a point.

His bumbling attempt to back up Garry's story had made things worse, if not for Garry, then at least for himself. He had probably come across as a socially awkward, idiotic asshole who had something to hide, which was not a very fair description of Sunil, and his monologue had probably irreversibly damaged his image in the eyes of not only the newcomers but also his two travelling companions.

The phrase "when you're in a hole, stop digging" had obviously meant nothing to Sunil, as the world at-large saw when his little joke at the end backfired terribly, and made Rena go all ballistic on him. Her little outburst that occurred the moment Sunil's words reached her ears had the ironic side-effect of giving Sunil's joke a grain of truth.

And so, for the first time in quite a long while, Sunil applied his pragmatic, strategic way of thinking to a real-world situation, and took the sensible step of shutting the fuck up for the rest of the conversation.

And so, even though he twitched at the (not entirely undeserved) insult aimed at him, Sunil kept his head down, letting everyone else do the talking.

Best decision he'd made in a long time.
Arscapi†

Post by Arscapi† »

Marion blinked at the turn of events, she was actually being included in a conversation and...did Dustin just flirt with her? Now that she'd actually been included, she wasn't sure what decision she was supposed to be making. They were asking her opinion sure, but what exactly was she supposed to say? No, I'm really not okay that the ringleader of this little group of unbalanced classmates seems to be the most in control and a murderer. Well, a killer in self-defense, but still. Actually Garry seemed strangely normal, but his back-up well they were giving Marion pause. Did they really just follow him blindly now? Sit around and wait for him to cue their next response? If so, Marion found herself suddenly outnumbered.

"Listen," she said to Dustin. "You know what I think I'm going to be on my way. I've been involved in this scene once or twice already and I'll just leave you to get reacquainted." She shifted her duffle and walked past the group, letting out a breath she didn't know she was holding as she made her way through them unmolested.

((Marion Summers continued in Laisse tomber les filles))
Casey the Undead†

Rena didn't want to be here anymore.

She didn't want to answer Garry's question about her and Dustin. She didn't want to talk about the boy in the tunnels, or how she'd done the cowards move and run without any explanation from people who were trying to help her.

She didn't want to think about the fact that Dustin had outright referred to her as all kinds of crazy. She didn't want to think about Garry being a killer, or Sunil being a moron, or Dustin being a jerk, or Marion suddenly leaving.

Rena looked at the girl who so quickly left the area. Clearly she had the right idea. Leaving sounded wonderful right about now.

But Rena was sick of running. It was all she'd done, and she was tired. She was broken, beaten, and she felt like just laying down and giving up.

Maybe she was crazy. It sure would make things easier. There'd be no more crying, no more reasoning- she could spend the whole game wandering alone, saying random thoughts to invisible people until some kind, wondrous soul put a bullet in her brain and released her from her misery.

Instead, she was forced to stand there in what was probably the second most horrible encounter she'd had on the island, topped only by standing in a body.

Well, actually, getting a gun pointed at her- twice- and shot once was pretty bad too. And she'd vomited in front of Ridley. And she'd tripped over a tree stump meeting Garry and Sunil.

On second thought, her whole time on this game seemed like one long uncomfortable moment.

Rena didn't take her eyes off of her feet. Garry and Dustin would talk, Sunil would (hopefully) keep quiet, and she'd just blend into the background, doing what she did best and turning invisible.

It was the closest choice to running away she had.

Return to “The Mountain”