Glitter & Rot

The residential area used to house the miners, loggers, and mansion staff. Houses, mainly ranch-style and small, are arranged on one half of the U-shaped town. The other side of the U is home to a pub, a grocery store, a small convenience store, and a recreation center containing a gym and a small movie theater.
ZombiexCreame†

Glitter & Rot

Post by ZombiexCreame† »

((Josie Vernon continued from Float))

Josie Vernon left the swamp behind and with it, the downtrodden girl who'd asked her for matches. She'd done all she could, yeah, offered her any other help, but the girl seemed reluctant to take it. She seemed to be under some weird delusion that she was cursed, and it was easy to let someone else shoulder the blame. But... she wouldn't be able to take that nonsense for long. Eventually the girl would annoy her with her useless, delusional chatter, and Josie wasn't so sure that she could handle it. She had killed a boy she didn't know and her own best friend in cold blood. What about some annoying chick?

It was funny how murder changed people because, at the moment, Josie didn't feel too changed at all. It forced her to reevaluate herself, yeah, and sometimes she considered murdering other people, but she was still the same Josie. She still retained her fickle dreams and the same interests. Killing Sierra and that other kid hadn't immediately turned her into some monstrous psychopath.

She had always been a little cold, a little hesitant to communicate with others. She was perhaps just a bit colder now, a little less eager to talk to anyone at all. She was much less eager to group up with anyone. See how the situation at the beach went? Morgan ended up dead, but he was clearly out of his mind. How many others were bonkers? The girl, Celeste, was pretty crazy too. Josie just wanted to fly solo for awhile, perhaps figure out what to do.

The announcements honestly surprised her. There weren't many students left, less than fifty apparently, and Josie realized that it was getting down to the wire. Geez... Less than 50. How could that be? She wasn't sure if she should be shocked than almost all of her classmates that she'd known since grade school were now dead, or that she had actually made it so far, but there was one thought that kept popping up within her mind: What would it be like if Sierra was here? Josie wasn't sure. Would she still be depressed?

Josie was glad Sierra was dead. She'd made up her mind. If someone was to take Sierra away from her by force, Josie would be left feeling empty and depressed, tortured and agonized. She wouldn't be able to live with herself to know that Sierra had went through so much pain and Josie had done nothing, but at least Josie had spared her best friend of such an experience.

A smile broke through the scenester's usually rigid face. With her gun resting over her shoulder, Josie crossed into the residential area and walked amongst the houses, taking in the silent scenery. There were corpses scattered here and there, but she didn't look at them too much. It was scary how something so macabre could become so complacent. She didn't want to hide out in a house, no, it was too stereotypical. Everyone hid in houses. There were some less typical looking buildings, a convenience store, a grocery shop, a pub... But one building struck Josie's fancy the most.

It was a grey building that didn't really stick out much amongst the other buildings. It was slightly to the side, and there was a dusty looking parking lot set before the building. The chipped-paint above the front doors read, "Recreational Center." Josie decided that since the center was mostly intact, it was probably a safe place to go. Perhaps no one had even entered it before - no bodies, no decaying-corpse stench.

She approached the front door and tried it, but it didn't give way at first. It felt almost like the lock was jammed or something. A few more wiggles of the knob, and the door finally opened, giving way to complete and utter darkness. The air was heavy and dusty, and Josie didn't have a flashlight, so the trek to the inner-workings of the recreation center would be next to impossible. There was no electricity on the island, so the lights didn't work... Perhaps some of the other rooms had windows? Josie slowly stepped inside, but she didn't bother to shut the door behind her. She needed the light. She simply kept sidling forward, her eyes peeled for any inconsistency within the wall that would tune her into the presence of a door.

Perhaps she should just go back into the light... This was too frightening. What was she even looking for? There surely wasn't anything of interest in here.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler ZombiexCreame. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

((Nick LeMonde continued from The City on the Edge of Forever))

Stumbling, lost and alone.

The end is quickly approaching. The end is near.

All this while we carry on.

This isn't the time to be alone.

Nick had been moving forward, now with the tranq rifle in his hands. The katana and the hunga munga were packed away in his bag. It was the last thing of Jessica's. He hadn't remembered until after he woke up how much he hated to be alone. He didn't even like eating lunch alone. In the residential district there was a movie theater. He quickly turned away from it. He'd never been to the movies alone either; it felt unnatural to stand in front of the movie theater by himself.

He kept walking down the road. The town felt like a mockery. He couldn't imagine someone growing up here, going down to the crumbling theater or the dirty grocery market on the weekend. In the distance, something caught his eye. A bright flash of red was moving against the gray backdrop. It vanished inside the building.

"Oh wow," he whispered, flatly.

It was the first thing he'd said when he saw that bright shock of red hair all that time ago. He sounded so different now than he had back in school at the library, sitting next to a girl who was working on her English project. He was so vibrant and helpful. Willing to help a sweet girl who'd knocked over a shelf of books.

The sadness became thick in his throat when he thought of Jess. Nick shook his head and walked to the building. When he stepped in it was pitch black. He took out a flash light and illuminated the room and the girl.
ZombiexCreame†

Post by ZombiexCreame† »

Josie slowly moved forward, the light behind her casting an eerie shadow on the wall. She looked tall and elongated, much like a monster. If she was a child in an innocent world, she would outstretch her hands and stomp around, growl and pretend to smoosh the ground beneath her flat. The urge flickered through her mind, but she'd feel silly playing pretend in a place like this... or at all. Doing something like that would clearly say, "I've gone utterly and completely mad."

Josie wasn't at that level yet. She was okay. She just moved forward, one foot after the other. Her left foot hit something hard, and she reached forward, touching a smooth wall. She began to search the wall with her hands, feeling for something, anything. She was mostly looking for a door, but so far, she'd found a light switch (which obviously didn't work) and dusty ridges that once must have supported something or another. No door, not yet... Keep searching. For some reason, she felt compelled to move further into this building.

There was a flash of light behind her, and the room lit up almost instantly. Josie blinked, realized that there was a door mere inches from her left hand. The light was unsteady, so she realized that someone was most likely holding a flashlight. Great, discovered. Who would she meet next? Who would try to shove their delusional episodes upon her? Who would try to kill her or threaten her life?

She turned around, well-prepared to face some kid that she'd never met, never talked to before in her life because, let's face it, Josie rarely talked to anyone that wasn't Sierra. But the person was familiar... too familar. He was... well, geez. Someone she considered a friend. She knew him. Hadn't spoken to him much recently and hadn't given him much of a thought since her entrance to the island, but here stood Nick. He helped her out when she was struggling with a project. Nick, Jessica, and Alex. She remembered it clearly. After they were done, there was pie involved. She definitely remembered that.

"Nick... Is that you?" she asked. She knew it was him, but it still felt proper to ask. "I, uh, it's been awhile... How have you been? You're not hurt or anything, are you?"

Not that she could do anything if she could. The only possession she had was her gun, and that was like.. the opposite of a first-aid kit.

"Have you seen Jessica and Alex around...? I haven't seen either of them..."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler ZombiexCreame. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Nick looked steadily at the girl. She didn't look to worse for the wear. She was alone and wandering the decaying building, lost among the debris. There she was, though. Josie had that same pretty face, but it was marked with the trauma and the lack of food and sleep that marked them all. He lowered the tranquilizer rifle so that it pointed straight into the ground. He blinked and it took a moment for the message from his brain to reach his mouth. It felt like he was trying to think through molasses. Nick was so drained. He was numb and his emotions were only left in shades of grey.

"I'm not hurt," she said gruffly. He was so loud and boisterous before. Nick was the one who yelled loudest at all the sporting events. The power was zapped from his throat.

He looked at his hands and saw them covered in blood for a moment, as they had been after Mike.

"Few cuts on my hands. That's just 'cause I'm clumsy. I had this weird thing with like, three different blades on a stick. Took me a while to learn not to keep playing with it. I'm just a big dummy is all. You know-"

He took a deep breath and the dust of the room got stuck in his throat. He coughed and sputtered, dropping the rifle and putting his hands on his thighs and bending down. He looked back up with water in his eyes.

"I- sorry. It's just that I-"

He laughed. It was a hollow little laugh borne from his frustration. It tailed into a sad, quiet moment. He carefully picked Jessica's rifle off of the floor and cradled it.

"I'm a murderer. I want to make up for it. For her," he said as his fingers ran over the rifle.

"Alex....I heard her name on the announcements I think, during the death announcements one of the days. Jessica..."

His eyes shifted away from the rifle and towards the darkness that wasn't lit up by the flashlight. He sucked in some air through his teeth as he felt a pang in his chest.

"Jessica died. She knew that we both couldn't win and so she jumped off a cliff. The only way we could stay together is if we died. I stayed behind for a little because....I have to make it up."

Nick lifted his head and studied Josie for a moment. Even on a good day he wasn't very good and knowing what people were thinking, and this was far from a good day. He acknowledged to himself that he'd never be able to read anyone for feelings or thoughts and probably would never be able to from this point on. There was hardly enough will and energy in him to try and wrap his head around his own feelings. He did the only thing he knew how to do to comfort people. He offered food.

"How are you? Are you alright? Are you hungry?"
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

((Inactivity save))

Alone in the dark, but now, no longer alone. This girl was ragged and tired but there was some pain in her gaze. They were together in the dark with no one around. He ran his hand through the back of his head. Nick was dirty and itchy. He wanted to tear his skin right from his bones. Everything had become ruined in such short time. It was just supposed to be a camping trip. It was just going to be a few days.

He shifted uncomfortably and reached into his bag for the bread. His hand brushes against his bladed weapons. The cold steel was a terrible reminder. He winced and looked for a moment like he might tear up again. But he did not. He pulled out the last of the bread.
ZombiexCreame†

Post by ZombiexCreame† »

Nick said that he wasn't hurt, and Josie legitimately felt relieved. Thank goodness he was alright. It felt wrong to be so happy that someone else was okay when her best friend was clearly dead, but nonetheless, she was glad. She didn't really want to see anyone in pain, and she definitely didn't want to see her friend die in front of her. But... he'd obviously changed. Josie remembered him as cheery and upbeat, and this boy was a mere shadow of his former self.

Was that so surprising? No. Josie would be worried if Nick had maintained his normal colorful personality, but she couldn't help but wonder if she'd changed too. She didn't really think she had, no, but... How else could she change? Josie had always been withdrawn and quiet, cold and calculating. She didn't feel much different, just perhaps depressed.

He explained that he had some cuts on his hands from some weird weapon he had, and Josie nodded politely, not offering much in the way of conversation. Silence filled the room, and she looked down at her feet, desperately trying to think of something to say. There was... nothing. She looked up quickly when he began to cough and seemed almost a little weirded out when the cough became a laugh. She stayed quiet and listened, didn't flinch much or anything when he admitted to being a murderer.

She thought she would feel more shocked, but she really didn't. Perhaps it was because she herself had killed two people, but she understood that deaths weren't so black and white. Maybe Nick had a reason, maybe he didn't. She didn't really give a fuck. She wasn't one to judge. It wasn't like she felt endangered. She doubted Nick would try anything, even if he did have that badass looking rifle. Josie herself had a badass gun, so she figured she was okay. Nick was a friend. But Josie was living proof that sometimes friends kill other friends.

"You can try and make up for what you did as much as you want, but you don't have long left. Just sayin'." Josie said. She hadn't meant for it to come off so cruelly, but it had. Oops. She might as well have said, "You're going to die soon, and there's nothing you can do about it! You think you have a chance in hell of being the lucky survivor?"

Josie almost missed it. Almost missed the part where Nick told her about Alex and Jessica's deaths. It hit her hard, but she wasn't sure why. It wasn't like a surprise or anything. Lots of people were dead, but still... It was two more people that she knew, two more people that were gone from her life. She tried to take the news like a game of 'ol Oregon Trail. A pop-up would flash on the screen, say that someone died of cholera, and you just kept going. No stopping, no mourning, no further mention of that person. Josie could be like that... keep going and forget about Jessica, but admittedly... She was sad. Damn, jumping off a cliff. That took some guts.

"I'm really sorry to hear about that, Nick. I know you two were very close..." She wanted to say a lot more, but she didn't want to depress him or make him think about Jessica's death more. She knew how it felt to lose someone close. You didn't want to think about them. Maybe say something corny like, she's in a better place. ...Naw. Best to just keep silent.

Nick asked her if she was okay and if she was hungry. She stayed silent for a few moments, toying with the switch on her flashlight. How was she? Very good question. She was physically perfect. Hungry, weak, and sleep deprived? Yes. Mentally, she considered herself good too. She wasn't rocking in a corner, slitting her wrists, or talking to trees, so that was good too. She was just... alone. "I'm lonely," she admitted. She had meant to say that she was good, but the lonely part just burst out of her mouth. Oops.

"I, uh, I don't have any food or anything. I'm, yeah, I guess I'm kinda hungry, but.. it's okay." She'd feel awkward if he offered her any of his. She couldn't possibly do that. Josie would feel horrible.

And then he pulled out a loaf of bread. She waved her hands around in front of her, the flashlight's beam jolting around from the movement. "No, no. I'm good, really."
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Nick stood with the last of the food and listened to Josie. He shuffled his feet for a moment, trying to figure out how exactly to say what he wanted to say.

"Do you know the story of the Good Thief and the Bad Thief?"

She was silent a moment. He didn't wait for her to answer.

"When Jesus was on the cross, when he was being crucified, there were two thieves being crucified at the same time as he was. The faithless thief asks Jesus why he can't save them and himself if he is in fact the Messiah. The good thief defends him and repents, accepting Jesus and Jesus tells him that for his repentance and faith, he will find his was to paradise."

His voice was echoing throughout the empty building. Because they were inside, not even the sounds of nature penetrated their meeting.

"I wasn't sure how I felt about that story before. I didn't like that someone could do bad things and be rewarded by trying to do good right at the end. But now I understand. It's all about....your spirit. About whether you have goodness in your heart. It has to do with whether or not you learned something about yourself and love before you go forward. Words beget actions. I want to make up those things that I did to show that now I know what faith and goodness really are. I want to prove that I.....I deserve to find home. And I don't mean the one back in St. Paul."

He took a deep breath and set Jessica's rife gently on the floor. He looked down at it while he spoke.

"Jessica had such a good heart. That's how I know she made it. That's how I know she's there waiting for me. I could feel her faith and her purity, maybe not faith in Jesus or God but her faith.....in love."

He reached out and put a hand up to Josie's cheek, softly moving her head to gaze up at him.

"We all get lonely when there's death around. It makes us cold. I know there's not long left. That's why you should have some bread. And if you want me to, I'll stay with you. I'll stay until I can't stay anymore."
ZombiexCreame†

Post by ZombiexCreame† »

Josie listened silently as Nick told the story about the two thieves. At first, she didn't quite get the story. She didn't understand why it held any importance to the situation, but it became a bit clearer when Nick explained it. She thought it was kind of funny that Nick thought of that story in this situation. Josie couldn't really recall many stories that were relevant to her life at the moment. She even thought about it, scouring the recesses of her mind for anything, but there was nothing. Typical.

"That's really deep, Nick." She didn't think much about her response. Josie was typically the type of person who thought really deeply about her actions and responses, but the words just came out. That had been happening more frequently lately. "I'm sure it doesn't mean much, but I think you're a good person. Better than me, I'm positive." She really meant that last part. Josie hadn't given a single thought towards faith and goodness. She didn't even really believe in Jesus or God. If there was a God and all that stuff, she knew where she was going. And it was, most likely, quite hot. Maybe fiery.

Nick was talking about Jessica, confident that she'd made it (made it where? She wanted to ask but didn't have the guts) and a bunch of other gooey things, but she didn't want to ruin the moment. Let Nick believe in his faith and love and stuff. If that's what got him through the day, then dandy.

There was a hand at her cheek, and she stared at Nick with a shocked expression. She didn't draw back (that would be rude), but she did wonder why he was touching her. It was admittedly a nice gesture and even nicer to realize there was someone beside her, but a nagging feeling kept gnawing at her insides. Should she stay with Nick? She'd be a burden to him. He'd have to leave eventually or, unfortunately, die. Or she'd die on him and cause unwanted sorrow. Was that conceited to think that Nick would even feel sad? She didn't know.

"No bread, it's cool. Really." Josie held out her hands. "I have no appetite anyway. Look, Nick, I'm so glad I caught up with you. It's good to see that you're alright. I just remembered that there's somewhere I have to be.. Gotta meet someone. It slipped my mind. Catch you around?" She was speaking so casually, as if Nick was some kid she hung out with at school.

She gathered her things and walked to the door of the recreation center, opening it and stopping as the light filtered around her, casting another eerie shadow on the wall. "You're really nice Nick, you know that? You are good. Don't forget it." And then she added, "See ya around," just one more time, and she was off. Her pace was quick like she was in some type of hurry, but it was mostly to get away from Nick. She didn't know why - he was such a nice kid. She could have eaten some of his bread. At least she would feel full. She could stand by Nick's side and talk to him and bask in his company. She'd feel safer, like there was some point in going on. But there wasn't. She realized it.

She was tired. What point was there in going on? Someone was going to kill her. She didn't want to drag Nick down. The less time she spent with him, the better. She didn't want to end up hurting him too. It was possible. She hadn't lost all control of herself, but she wasn't sure. Like now, for instance, she felt entirely lost. Tired and lost.

She wanted to go back to Sierra. She wanted to apologize and see her friend one last time. She wandered through the trees and wove a path along the island but after about an hour of walking, she realized several things. For example, she couldn't even really remember where Sierra's body was. Which area? It was a good possibility that it was a danger zone, and if it was, she'd die immediately. That would kind of suck a bit. She kept walking anyway. The trees were circling around her, and the sky was clearly darker. The path beneath her feet kept going and going. Was there no end to this island?

Sometimes she happened upon bodies. None of them were Sierra, but then again, many of them were unrecognizable, half-decayed. Did she want to see Sierra in such a state? She already looked horrified. Did she want to see the decaying flesh and the maggots and countless other horrifying sights? Maybe not. It would dirty her image of the beautiful and fun-loving Sierra. No, Josie wouldn't go there.

But where would she go?

She didn't know. Kept walking. Should she go back to Nick? She didn't even know where he was anymore. A gym? A movie theater? It was in the residential area, right? Or... the town center.

She stepped hard into a hole in the ground and jolted forward, staggering and holding onto a nearby tree. She nearly twisted her ankle. That would have been horrifying, but... her ankle did hurt. It wasn't a sprain. She settled down at the base of the tree and hugged her knees. Everything seemed to be growing darker. Why did she leave Nick back there? Why did it have to come to this? She could still be with Sierra if not for Josie's crazy brain. Maybe she was irrational.

She didn't want to stand up. She didn't want to keep going. Maybe she could try and find Nick, but she didn't want to bother him. There was nothing left. Her foot hurt like fuck now, maybe she did twist it, and she couldn't stand. Wouldn't. There was nothing left. These past few days proved that she was nothing without Sierra. There was no laughter, no friendship, no nothing. It had been hellish.

She buried her head in her hands. Josie felt the pressure behind her eyes, her throat tightened. She wouldn't allow herself to cry.

But she couldn't do it anymore.

There was a loud bang, a shocking flash of red, and a soft bump. Josie's gun fell to the dirt, her hands gone limp. The tree behind her, splattered with crimson blood and gore, stood tall with branches swaying softly in the wind. In that split second between life and death, Josie had seriously hoped that she'd "make" it like Jessica had. She really hoped there was a God that took mercy upon her. She wanted to be somewhere peaceful, somewhere with Sierra, somewhere laughing and listening to terrible music and pawing through fashion magazines. She didn't want to be here.

Hopefully she made it.

G060 - JOSIE VERNON - DECEASED
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Josie stepped back away from him. There was something in her look, it was something about the way that she looked at him that made him think of a house that was collapsing. She wouldn't take the food. Josie shakily told him that she had to meet someone. It must have been someone very important. The way she fidgeted and fussed, it must have been someone she really needed to get to.

Josie told him he was nice. He didn't understand. He couldn't understand how anyone could think that he was nice. Maybe it was a kindness on her part, to him. This girl wasn't all so different from the one back at the library in Bayview. Even now, she was trying to make him feel better. She was like Jessica.

Josie turned and ran.

Nick faltered for a moment. She was someone worth protecting. He realized he wanted to help her because he wanted her to make it out of this place. She wasn't done yet.

"Josie, wait!"

Nick picked the rifle up off the ground and gathered his things. It was too dark in the building to see anything. He thought he heard her, though. He ran out of the recreation center, trying to find Josie.

((Nick LeMonde continued in Director's Cut))

Return to “The Residential Area”