A modest violet grew,

Its stalk was bent, it hung its head, As if to hide from view. (Open)

The lake itself features a deck and boathouse, mainly for small single person vessels, although there is one rotten-looking wooden rowboat sitting inside. Typically used in the warmer summer months, the lake was the preferred location for many events including barbecues, parties, birthdays, and weddings. The lake also has a small island sitting in the middle of the water, featuring a small collection of trees along with a second wooden rowboat with a large hole in the side.

Thread limit: 2
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

"...Christine wasn't on the announcements. She's alive. I promise you, she is alive."

Val needed everyone who was still here. She closed her eyes. "Claudeson's gone. Jessica, please don't go after him. It'll be luck if we find him. Maybe Princess'll meet up with him and bring him back here. We have t-" she interrupted herself. "-We're in this together. We're all in this together."
[+] v7
[+] Michael Froese
Michael Froese - The story of an identity; the story of a matador; the story of a liar; the story of a junkie; the story of a very special frog; the story of a jackal; the story of an oscillator; the story of a ghost; the story of the death of an author; the story of a bunch of other stuff.

THREADS!

PREGAME: Mad world - This...this felt nice. - Michael was incredibly disappointed in himself for actually agreeing to go do something with Beryl. - He wasn't actually all that sorry. - Part of him was worried his real motivation wasn't self-torturing altruism but instead the fact that it was one of the few things that still made him feel.

ISLAND:
Michael and all of his friends were going to be footnotes in a history textbook. - he was folding in on himself like a four-dimensional object in three-dimensional space - Everything was about pain, fear, and love. - "Gave them our reactions, our explosions, all that was ours; For graphs of passion, and charts of stars." - He had a duty to look into someone's eyes as he killed them. - Closure really did sound like nothing at all. - "I wish we were lovers, but it's for the best." - Michael Froese the award-winning murderer. That was who he was now. - "I wanted to lose myself." - "Good and bad, all roads lead to Rome and I just, it hurts too much to be a good person." - "Somewhere out there in the deep blue sea, there's this whale." - "...It's harder to be yourself than it is to be anybody else." - "The neighbors, they adored him for his humor and his conversation. Look underneath the house there, find the few living things, rotting fast in their sleep; oh, the dead," - He gave her a big hug. He buried his head in her shoulder, feeling her cold, spongy, rubbery skin against his forehead. She had no eyes. She had no face. Something had eaten her face. - Michael Froese was a crazy person with a gun. - Validation. - "You don't live in a goddamned movie." - "I miss what it's like to be, like, actually alone." - "Market data inconsistent. Cantor API problem. Trading system offline," - Michael didn't want this. It wasn't like that'd stop him. - "I'm wide awake, it's morning." - He was a spree killer now, he supposed. - When he gave his word, he was giving nothing. - The fact they even existed was being politicized. - "BERYL FUCKING MAHELONA. TELL ME WHAT YOU DID TO BERYL MAHELONA," - 'Am I gray?' - A beach covered in unidentified decedents. - He'd never felt anything unconditionally. - "Look around you, you're surrounded.
It won't get any better. And so, goodnight."
[+] Valerija Bogdanovic
The story of a (failed) revolutionary.

THREADS!

PREGAME: August 12th, 2017 - The explosive sound of metal hitting metal

ISLAND:
She turned away. Everything from here on out was for the terrorists to see. - "All of us, we have the chance to actually do something with our lives." - The students were the shark in the box. - Complacency was festering like a tumour. - "She's right. It won't - it won't change anything," - Scraped into the wall, in neatly-styled lettering, the words "If they won't live in peace, then they'll die for peace." - Val needed a gun, - "I do not care for violence without a point," she stated. "My gun is not loaded." - "Juliette, I'm sure you already know this, but you really should take pains to be careful around people who speak only in enthymemes." - "Someone once said, 'Change must come with the barrel of a gun', and they were not wrong." - Two explosions.
destroy the UN08/03/2019
Micheal experienced super position wherein he was both Beryl and he was Beryl's RP site quote. He was sure he could be happy about this but he no longer knew what happiness meant.
General Goose

Post by General Goose »

Camille looked at how Jessica reacted to her response to Claudeson's departure, and did feel bad. Camille normally had a very live-and-let-live philosophy, loath to even stray near anything that was paternalistic or interventionist in the affairs of others. Just don't hurt others and contribute a bit to making a fair and just world, then chart your own path. But such an approach was likely...if not outdated, then at least ill-suited to their current predicament. It probably came across as cold. But even if Camille had wanted to stop Claudeson, what could she have done?

Probably would have gotten a bloody nose if she tried to stop him physically, which, at least, would have some poetry to it.

She joined the two, kneeling down to make the conversation feel more intimate, hoping to show her own commitment to the bonds of necessity that the group had.

"Uh. Christine Bright was on the announcements." Camille assumed that Val assumed that Jessica had been referring to her sister Christina, which was an easy enough mistake to make, but as awkward and blunt an interjection as it was, it was one that Camille knew needed to be made. Letting false hope and misunderstandings fester was not good. After all, as soon as the words had left her lips, Camille began doubting her own recollection of the announcements - hoping, as crude and triggering as it was prone to be, that some sort of recap would be available to settle such doubts and ambiguities and solve disagreements about the memory of the announcements. What if she had been wrong? What if Christine Bright wasn't on the announcements, and Christina Rennes had been?

It wasn't a good place to be, to be doubting her own senses or her own memory, especially not with regards to such a grave and morbid subject. She knew that human recollection was fallible, subject to biases and prejudices, but she had made sure, doubly sure, to be as accurate in her memories of the announcements as possible. Camille normally trusted her senses - such metaphysical and incorporeal quandaries as the nature of perception were normally only philosophical for her. Interesting, of course, in that sort of low-stress pop philosophy way, but not ones that ever truly troubled Camille directly. Now she was wishing that she had thought about those stresses more meticulously, done more to prepare.

Whatever it was, Camille hoped, for Jennifer's sake, that she was right and that Val was wrong. The death of Christina would surely be extremely traumatising for Jennifer. As awful a thought as it was, Camille found herself wishing that, if they were to die, it would be on the same day to spare them the agony of life apart, knowing that she would be wishing for the same small mercy were Lionel and Farah here with her. But that Christina was still alive was scarcely a comfort - Christine might have been a friend of hers, or there may well have been some great island connection between the two. Connections Camille might have forgotten, or might have never been able to know.

"Val's right," Camille continued, wanting to move on from that depressing subject as quickly as possible. "We've got to stay together. But Claudeson - he wanted to go. He had to-felt he had to...'undertake this next trial by himself'. Direct quote." Well, paraphrase. "If that's how he finds meaning under these circumstances, I couldn't be the one to stop him."
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

The moment Valerija finished her refutation of everything Jessica said, Jessica felt as though she was beginning to lose her mind.

Christine was dead. She knew it because it was on the announcements not that long ago, and she knew it certainly because she'd been speaking to her only yesterday. And now Valerija was telling her it didn't happen? What was going on? Did Valerija not hear the announcements? Did she mishear them? Oh god, did Jessica mishear them? It was all too much. She just couldn't understand what was going on.

At least, until Camille stepped in and pointed out that Jessica was right all along. It made her feel a bit more grounded, but not enough. All it did was confirm that, once again, Christine was dead after running off, and now Claudeson was running off as well and there was nothing any of them could do about it, at least according to the other two girls. She knew they were wrong, because Jessica had been in their exact position before and she just knew that if she'd been better at finding Christine she'd still be alive, and Jessica herself wouldn't have been beaten and mugged and pushed from the waterfall. But she could only look at them down on the ground as she realized fairly quickly the truth of the matter was that for some reason, for some unknown reason, they were just absolutely convinced that Claudeson needed to do whatever he did that involved Christine's killer, and were fairly ready to let him do it.

Jessica didn't agree.

But there wasn't really anything she could do about it now.

"...okay."

She wasn't okay, not remotely. But that wasn't Valerija and Camille's problem anymore.

"...okay, we can stick together."

Jessica nodded, at nothing in particular.

"...but can we do it somewhere else? Here, it's just...over there."

She didn't really know what she was saying anymore. She wanted to say that the fact she could constantly seeing the waterfall cascading in the distance made her anxious, but what was the point of words anymore?
[+] The Island
V4: G069 - Clio Gabriella: Hold me closer, tiny dancer; count the headlights on the highway to hell.
V4: G083 - Paige Strand: Feelings don't try to hurt you, even the painful ones. You're responsible for all of the damn consequences.
V4: B118 - Jacob Charles: Every grieving heart has screamed at one time or another 'why can't you just let me die?'
V4: G114 - Aston Bennett: A woman who desires revenge must dig three graves.
V4: B108 - Ma'afu Tuigamala: Most men would rather forget a hard truth than face it.
V5: G015 - Janie Sinneave: Every human being must find her own way to cope with the impossible, and the only job of a true friend is to facilitate whatever method she doesn't choose.
V6: B018 - Maxim Kehlenbrink: Too much self-centered attitude brings isolation. Result: loneliness, fear, anger, and a hammer to the skull.
V7: G044 - Mikki Swift: It takes 18 years to build a reputation and a minute to ruin it.
V7: G070 - Jessica Rennes: Despair is our chance to wrestle with water and fall through.
V7: G075 - Aditi Sharma: She can still scream that rebel yell, just as loud as it was in 2005.
[+] Home
V4: B042 - Brendan Wallace: History has a way of repeating itself for years to come.
Meanwhile...
v5 - Penny Huang: Good girls can make bad decisions.
v5 - Jasper Rourke: Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are, "what could have been".
v7 - Gaelan Meloy: And nothing matters.
v7 - Jordan Brankovich: Rethinking it all.
v7 - Kayden Brockman: Not done yet.
v7 - Ji-hyun Christensen: Just getting started.
[+] Remind Me Tomorrow
Destiny Martinez will live fast and die faster.
Aidan Winston is going to let you know you're not solving anything.
Lara Rodriguez thinks you should keep your opinion on her to yourself.
Peyton Hoffman isn't fond of the PC Police ruining everything.
Lindsey Sewall wants to make sure you drank water today you stupid bitch.
Luke Travers needs to have a code.
I'm hosting a SOTF!
SOTF: International
Applications Open Now!
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

OH SHOOT CHRISTINE NOT CHRISTINA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Val cringed both inwardly and outwardly. "I - I thought we - your sister, I thought - I'm sorry..." Her voice squeaked, her arms hugging her own chest in shame. She really hoped Christine Bright's family hadn't been watching for that.

A dark thought appeared in her mind, something about controlling the flow of information. She didn't want to deal with that kind of stuff right now.

Camille validated her guess as to what the whole deal with Claudeson had been; agreed with her, too.

Jessica wasn't doing too great, still. The girl seemed traumatized. Val empathized with her, mostly.

She still wasn't 100% confident in speaking this soon after the Christine snafu, but she got over it. "Let's... we can go. Let's go, I mean - I guess."

((Val continued ELSEWHERE))
[+] v7
[+] Michael Froese
Michael Froese - The story of an identity; the story of a matador; the story of a liar; the story of a junkie; the story of a very special frog; the story of a jackal; the story of an oscillator; the story of a ghost; the story of the death of an author; the story of a bunch of other stuff.

THREADS!

PREGAME: Mad world - This...this felt nice. - Michael was incredibly disappointed in himself for actually agreeing to go do something with Beryl. - He wasn't actually all that sorry. - Part of him was worried his real motivation wasn't self-torturing altruism but instead the fact that it was one of the few things that still made him feel.

ISLAND:
Michael and all of his friends were going to be footnotes in a history textbook. - he was folding in on himself like a four-dimensional object in three-dimensional space - Everything was about pain, fear, and love. - "Gave them our reactions, our explosions, all that was ours; For graphs of passion, and charts of stars." - He had a duty to look into someone's eyes as he killed them. - Closure really did sound like nothing at all. - "I wish we were lovers, but it's for the best." - Michael Froese the award-winning murderer. That was who he was now. - "I wanted to lose myself." - "Good and bad, all roads lead to Rome and I just, it hurts too much to be a good person." - "Somewhere out there in the deep blue sea, there's this whale." - "...It's harder to be yourself than it is to be anybody else." - "The neighbors, they adored him for his humor and his conversation. Look underneath the house there, find the few living things, rotting fast in their sleep; oh, the dead," - He gave her a big hug. He buried his head in her shoulder, feeling her cold, spongy, rubbery skin against his forehead. She had no eyes. She had no face. Something had eaten her face. - Michael Froese was a crazy person with a gun. - Validation. - "You don't live in a goddamned movie." - "I miss what it's like to be, like, actually alone." - "Market data inconsistent. Cantor API problem. Trading system offline," - Michael didn't want this. It wasn't like that'd stop him. - "I'm wide awake, it's morning." - He was a spree killer now, he supposed. - When he gave his word, he was giving nothing. - The fact they even existed was being politicized. - "BERYL FUCKING MAHELONA. TELL ME WHAT YOU DID TO BERYL MAHELONA," - 'Am I gray?' - A beach covered in unidentified decedents. - He'd never felt anything unconditionally. - "Look around you, you're surrounded.
It won't get any better. And so, goodnight."
[+] Valerija Bogdanovic
The story of a (failed) revolutionary.

THREADS!

PREGAME: August 12th, 2017 - The explosive sound of metal hitting metal

ISLAND:
She turned away. Everything from here on out was for the terrorists to see. - "All of us, we have the chance to actually do something with our lives." - The students were the shark in the box. - Complacency was festering like a tumour. - "She's right. It won't - it won't change anything," - Scraped into the wall, in neatly-styled lettering, the words "If they won't live in peace, then they'll die for peace." - Val needed a gun, - "I do not care for violence without a point," she stated. "My gun is not loaded." - "Juliette, I'm sure you already know this, but you really should take pains to be careful around people who speak only in enthymemes." - "Someone once said, 'Change must come with the barrel of a gun', and they were not wrong." - Two explosions.
destroy the UN08/03/2019
Micheal experienced super position wherein he was both Beryl and he was Beryl's RP site quote. He was sure he could be happy about this but he no longer knew what happiness meant.
General Goose

Post by General Goose »

Camille didn't know what to say in response to Val's belated realisation that she'd mixed up Christina and Christine. Her instinct was one of those tried-and-tested phrases of meaningless comfort - don't sweat it, it's not a problem, don't worry about, something like that - but that could easily be heard as her commenting on the deaths themselves.

But Val had apologised, it had been done without malice, they could move on.

"Sounds like a plan." A very basic plan, a far cry from the grandiose missions that they had sought to embark on earlier. But with the fabric of the group fraying at the first sign of trouble, it was time to, for now, return to basics. Take stock.

"Do you need any help?" she offered Jessica.

((Camille Bellegarde continued elsewhere.))
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

Her sister...

Jessica had never really fathomed the possibility her sister could have been on the announcements. When she'd woken up, she'd never even really parsed the fact that her own twin, the closest person in her life, could die before her. The -een of Christine's first name could easily have added an -a to the end of it and suddenly Jessica would be truly alone in the world, and Jessica was so concerned with trying to figure out if she was okay with herself she never even considered the possibility.

Valerija's concern led down a path that Jessica didn't want to travel. Camille's led down one with a lantern somewhere.

"I'm...I'm fine, I can walk, I can move, and...stuff."

It probably helped she had nothing to carry. Valerija and Camille had their own bags, and Jessica only really had clothes that were still slightly damp from the previous day and nothing else besides her wits.

As the three girls left the camp, Jessica realized just how utterly directionless she felt, even compared to her home life. She always had only a vague smog in her field of vision that let her know that something was coming, even if she couldn't tell exactly what, but the moment she woke up on the island it turned to thick black smoke. She could put one foot in front of the other, but that was it. She didn't even know if the smoke would clear, or if it would only clear the moment she encountered someone even more dangerous than Teresa and Reuben and she fell through the sky again thanks to her badly placed steps. But her day spent around Valerija, Camille, Princess and Claudeson taught her something that made it easier to take even the smallest steps through the black.

And that was that everyone was in the same smoke now.

((Jessica Rennes continued elsewhere))
[+] The Island
V4: G069 - Clio Gabriella: Hold me closer, tiny dancer; count the headlights on the highway to hell.
V4: G083 - Paige Strand: Feelings don't try to hurt you, even the painful ones. You're responsible for all of the damn consequences.
V4: B118 - Jacob Charles: Every grieving heart has screamed at one time or another 'why can't you just let me die?'
V4: G114 - Aston Bennett: A woman who desires revenge must dig three graves.
V4: B108 - Ma'afu Tuigamala: Most men would rather forget a hard truth than face it.
V5: G015 - Janie Sinneave: Every human being must find her own way to cope with the impossible, and the only job of a true friend is to facilitate whatever method she doesn't choose.
V6: B018 - Maxim Kehlenbrink: Too much self-centered attitude brings isolation. Result: loneliness, fear, anger, and a hammer to the skull.
V7: G044 - Mikki Swift: It takes 18 years to build a reputation and a minute to ruin it.
V7: G070 - Jessica Rennes: Despair is our chance to wrestle with water and fall through.
V7: G075 - Aditi Sharma: She can still scream that rebel yell, just as loud as it was in 2005.
[+] Home
V4: B042 - Brendan Wallace: History has a way of repeating itself for years to come.
Meanwhile...
v5 - Penny Huang: Good girls can make bad decisions.
v5 - Jasper Rourke: Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are, "what could have been".
v7 - Gaelan Meloy: And nothing matters.
v7 - Jordan Brankovich: Rethinking it all.
v7 - Kayden Brockman: Not done yet.
v7 - Ji-hyun Christensen: Just getting started.
[+] Remind Me Tomorrow
Destiny Martinez will live fast and die faster.
Aidan Winston is going to let you know you're not solving anything.
Lara Rodriguez thinks you should keep your opinion on her to yourself.
Peyton Hoffman isn't fond of the PC Police ruining everything.
Lindsey Sewall wants to make sure you drank water today you stupid bitch.
Luke Travers needs to have a code.
I'm hosting a SOTF!
SOTF: International
Applications Open Now!

Return to “The Lake”