Winner Takes

Something a little different

This is the critique board, suggested by Outfoxd. Come here to request critiques and critique the work of others. The goal of this board is to be a respectful environment conducive to the improvement of writing skills.
MurderWeasel

Winner Takes

Post by MurderWeasel »

Howdy, folks! This was originally gonna go up at the final 25, but rolls being what they are it lands now instead. This is a slightly different sort of critique thread than what I've done before, so please take a look at the procedure I'm requesting everyone follow and then if you're interested drop me a line.

To cut to the heart of the concept: I'm offering a very narrow, very specific piece of feedback exclusively to the unrolled handlers/characters left in V7. We're at the stage of the game where the end is in sight, where folks are starting to think about conclusions and possibilities, and where decisions are being made. It can be useful in these cases to have a long-view take from a second set of eyes, and I've read all of V7 thus far. As such, I'm offering to give my opinion on whether your character would make a good winner, and why or why not.

This could be a few sentences to a number of paragraphs. Generally, I'm going to try to keep it brief enough to be succinct but long enough to get at least vaguely in depth. Note that this does not reflect whether or not I like your character—there are a number of V7 kids I like a lot who would IMO not make good winners at all, and a couple I'm lukewarm on who I think could still do the job just fine. This is mostly to help people mull their options before the last second and to help them potentially address any issues now instead of in a couple months when it's too late.

That all said, the one big special rule is this: all business related to this will be conducted over site PM.

There are a couple reasons here. First off, I don't want this to be in any way a curse or a burden for anyone. If you ask my thoughts and I say I think your kid would not make a good winner, I don't want that thrown back in your face come Endgame if you decide to ignore my feedback and go for it. If you ask my take and I say I think you'd be awesome, I don't want it trotted out as some kind of public endorsement. Your choices are your own, and this is a private consultation. That's not to say I won't discuss my opinions/favorites in chat or with others if the situation comes up—I'm vocal and opinionated—but it won't be due to requests (or lack thereof) here. Second, Discord PM can be an awesome avenue for critique but in this case I want my nice blocky paragraphs and I want to set my own pace. I'll try to be quick (time is to an extent of the essence here, and certainly I will try to beta the rolls) but I have work and other projects too, and board PM lets me handle the flow.

So, if you want my take, drop me a site PM. If you post in this thread or PM me on Discord I'll nicely tell you to send me a site PM. That aside, open for business as of this moment.
Avatar art by the lovely and inimitable Kotorikun
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

I believe I have cleared the queue on these. If you sent me something and did not hear back, please PM me again and I'll sort things out! If you have not yet PMed me but are finding this now and would like a take, I'm still open for business; as long as you're in the game, you can drop me a line. :)
Avatar art by the lovely and inimitable Kotorikun

Return to “Critiques”